Day 23: Uruguay vs France and Brazil vs Belgium

el3mel

And who does the creativity fall on for France ? Pogba and greizmann . Rashford and martial play very similar to Mbappe. And I would rather have lingard than matuidi in my side. I'm sure no one hear is begging for Tolisso to be purchased.

Lukaku is a much better center forward than giroud.

So to make it seem like France has this plethora of stars on display in the starting 11 is truly false in my opinion.
Except that we agreed earlier Pogba with France is content to set back and play a dictating role and doing only counter attacking or long balls from deep rather than creating on his own, which leaves creativity for the rest of the attackers up front to do the job. In United we look devoid of ideas on how to go forward completely whenever Pogba is absent or playing bad, like the October/November period of last season, while in France you can remove Pogba and put Matuidi and I think they'll keep the same shape.

The difference is United is fully dependent on Pogba to do the creative job while France is playing him as a part of a team. Not to mention, Griezmann and Mbappe are far better than our attackers consistency wise, even better than Sanchez who only played well 2-3 matches.

0161_UNITED

Félicitations à notre contingent français! Au revoir Suarez!

It’s still coming home, mind... :lol:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Well clearly we are going to have a bunch of morale deprived players that are coming from the world cup unless you expect all remaining 9 to win it
Out of all of them Pogba is the one who can benefit the most IMO (Lukaku is already on a high whatever happens), and we need him on song more than the others.

And if you put it that way, France winning is the best net outcome for us vs our PL rivals. Of course, it's all about how players react anyway.

0161_UNITED

Oddly, I’m supporting Brazil for the next match, too. What a strange World Cup, but I’d really like to see a France - Brazil semifinal.

We need an rvn

I like the setup of the Belgium team. De Bruijne where he should be with Lukaku up front and him and Hazard on either side. Now it might be game on. Still fancy Brazil to go through, probably annoyingly via a Brazil dodgy penalty

poleglass red

My mate was at the France game, he didn't have a ticket, went outside game to see what going rate was and tickets were going for face value, some even less. He said in stadium there were pockets of empty seats, crazy at this stage of the tournament esp considering the quality of some of the players on show.

ChaddyP

Except that we agreed earlier Pogba with France is content to set back and play a dictating role and doing only counter attacking or long balls from deep rather than creating on his own, which leaves creativity for the rest of the attackers up front to do the job. In United we look devoid of ideas on how to go forward completely whenever Pogba is absent or playing bad, like the October/November period of last season, while in France you can remove Pogba and put Matuidi and I think they'll keep the same shape.

The difference is United is fully dependent on Pogba to do the creative job while France is playing him as a part of a team. Not to mention, Griezmann and Mbappe are far better than our attackers consistency wise, even better than Sanchez who only played well 2-3 matches.
No I don't agree that he sits back for France. His timing of when to move forward has been much better. He still gets forward To help create gaps and chances. What I have been impressed with is his decision making and positioning. He's not playing better because he has more stars around him in the French team. That's ridiculous. France are also a much different side without out him devoid of ideas; see Denmark game. Also Sanchez is. Just as good and as frustrating as greizmann can be. It's always grass is greener on the other side on this forum .

ChaddyP

Out of all of them Pogba is the one who can benefit the most IMO (Lukaku is already on a high whatever happens), and we need him on song more than the others.

And if you put it that way, France winning is the best net outcome for us vs our PL rivals. Of course, it's all about how players react anyway.
All I wanted was my player back for the season. To talk about his Morale if France went out in the quarter finals is just weird to me I guess. Happy if he wins, but if he doesn't then I wished he came home early.

el3mel

No I don't agree that he sits back for France. His timing of when to move forward has been much better. He still gets forward To help create gaps and chances. What I have been impressed with is his decision making and positioning. He's not playing better because he has more stars around him in the French team. That's ridiculous. France are also a much different side without out him devoid of ideas; see Denmark game. Also Sanchez is. Just as good and as frustrating as greizmann can be. It's always grass is greener on the other side on this forum .
The idea of having better players around him means the pressure is divided on them not on him alone unlike United, not that he's just playing with better players.

The Denmark game was just France being their usual lazy behavior while they're already qualified.

I think Griezmann is better than Sanchez overall but let's agree to disagree on this.

edcunited1878

Belgium's backline has such limited pace and could get cut open if Brazil transition well from winning possession to attacking up the pitch.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Fagner? Who the feck is that guy? Where's Luis?
He's been their starting RB since the WC began. Dani Alves was ruled out before the tournament and Danilo (ruled out for the rest of the tournament through injury yesterday) was back up to Fagner.

ChaddyP

The idea of having better players around him means the pressure is divided on them not on him alone unlike United, not that he's just playing with better players.

The Denmark game was just France being their usual lazy behavior while they're already qualified.

I think Griezmann is better than Sanchez overall but let's agree to disagree on this.
Agreed lol

Dansk

My mate was at the France game, he didn't have a ticket, went outside game to see what going rate was and tickets were going for face value, some even less. He said in stadium there were pockets of empty seats, crazy at this stage of the tournament esp considering the quality of some of the players on show.
There's a lot of people who don't want to travel to Russia these days. We're talking about a country that has systematically been infiltrating and corrupting the politics of many countries, launched an old-fashioned military conquest of Ukraine, supported Chechnya's gay purge, repeatedly assassinated politicians even on foreign soil, and all manner of human rights violations. While some of these or similar things can be said of a country like Qatar, they're a lot less antagonistic toward many fans' home countries. Putin, on the other hand, is a very real and current enemy of the western world.

Canagel

I think those are very sensible changes from Martinez. Shore up the midfield and push KDB forward closer to Hazard and Lukaku. Those three can win the game for Belgium if they're on it. Both Paulinho and Coutinho like to go forward so I can actually see Belgium winning the midfield battle.

fd212

Supports
Liverpool
Looking forward to Neymar's multiple rolls on the floor!

Zekkaroo

I think Gabriel Jesus and Neymar are a good combo, but Firminho could be better, lets just find out I hope Brazil would take the W.

PoTMS

Seems it's never a bad time to have a pop at United for Shearer.

ti vu

Hard to tell whether Belgium is playing 5 at the back or now playing 4 at the back like in latter part of the second half against Japan

Canagel

Seems it's never a bad time to have a pop at United for Shearer.
I think it's a very fair comment this time. Lukaku for Belgium is a different player to Lukaku for United.

ti vu

Fagner? Who the feck is that guy? Where's Luis?
Strange comment. I recall seeing you support Willian in previous games, and this Fagner has been partnering with Willian on the right flank since Danilo got dropped.

Marcelo is a starter when he's fit.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Putting Fellaini in will help De Bruyne more but unless it's a 433 then I dont think it helps my concerns with them v Brazil. If it's a 3 at the back formation coming up against a front 3 with Neymar, jesus and Willian, then theyll leave too many holes at the back IMO. Plus with Coutinho and Marcelo in there... we'll see. But I dont see Belgium winning here because of the system Martinez is obsessed with.

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
Let's go Brazil!!! Red Devils may be quite strong, but there is absolutely nothing to fear. After all, Jesus is on your side.

ti vu

Fellaini as a starter ? Strange decision.
It makes some sense. This Brazil team is very lacking when it comes to aerial ability. Belgium aerial ability can be great weapon. Trading blow to blow technically is dangerous as Neymar definitely is another level compare to Belgium best like Hazard.

Belgium was not exactly unlocking a technical team like Japan to begin. Their saving grace was with the physicality and aerial ability as we saw in that game

juggernaut1986

I was at the game. There was an empty seat in front of me. Very strange indeed considering the quality of the teams.

Robertd0803

The France game was on at work so saw it but from a distance. What sort of game did Pogba have besides the flashpoint and build up to the second goal?