Day 23: Uruguay vs France and Brazil vs Belgium

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Happy with that result. France looked organised and professional, perhaps fortunate in the manner of the goals but it's what they deserved.

Uruguay, as expected, blunt up front, dirty tactics, niggly fouls eventually get their comeuppance.

Looking forward to Brazil v Belgium prior to nightshift.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Easy for France in the end. Very interested how they'll match up v Brazil if they win as I expect.

Walters_19_MuFc

For Pogba to strive we really need someone like Kante
It helps, but Pogba has helped himself big time in this tournament, especially against Argentina and Uruguay.

He's sat in front of the back four
Not got caught out of position
Kept it simple when needed
Good decision making

Hes been fantastic in this world cup and im hoping he can take it into the oncoming season.

Canagel

France look to have the winning formula to me. They are the probable winners of the world cup. Very solid at the back. Quality in midfield. Clinical attack. They put Uruguay to bed with ease. Brazil or Belgium will be swept aside as well. I don't think they can stop France.

Fenomeno9

I don’t know how it is unimpressive when France is going finish somewhere in the top 4 in this World Cup. World Cup isn’t an easy competition.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Good to see the crowd cheering the players.

We had a bad game. Caceres was shocking. But even with all at the races it would have been a tall order.

I said yesterday we would be done if we made a mistake and we made two (bad first touch and rash challenge following up and Muslera).

Good luck France and @kouroux . Doesn't excite to the sum of it parts, but probably the most resourceful team left while others are gettable/more tactically one dimensional.
Thanks. I doubt Deschamps will ever get them playing champagne football but he is producing results

Jacko21

France look to have the winning formula to me. They are the probable winners of the world cup. Very solid at the back. Quality in midfield. Clinical attack. They put Uruguay to bed with ease. Brazil or Belgium will be swept aside as well. I don't think they can stop France.
Would be quite a turnaround for a team that looked like a bunch of strangers in their opening game.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I hope they don't scapegoat him.

Uruguay played at nothing tonight.
We don't scapegoat players. Back in 2010 he had a mare against Germany in the 3rd place game, he brushed it off and never looked back.

I can probably blame him for three, maybe four, goals in 8 years. Shit happens.

Canagel

Would be quite a turnaround for a team that looked like a bunch of strangers in their opening game.
I think they were saving themselves for the knockouts to a certain degree. Because they were nowhere near playing to their full potential. They still aren't. But they keep winning and picking off teams one by one. That shows how strong they are. Today's game reminded a little bit of Mourinho's Inter and that CL victory over Bayern. The win never looked in doubt from the start even if the scoreline says it's a close match.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Thanks. I doubt Deschamps will ever get them playing champagne football but he is producing results
Deschamps as a player was dull... but effective. He bore me to tears, but had that ability to slow the tempo of a game to a standstill in order to control it.

I see nothing in his management that is any different.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We don't scapegoat players. Back in 2010 he had a mare against Germany in the 3rd place game, he brushed it off and never looked back.

I can probably blame him for three, maybe four, goals in 8 years. Shit happens.
Yeah, you have a solid team with players that give everything, it wouldn't be fair to scapegoat anyone.:)

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Deschamps as a player was dull... but effective. He bore me to tears, but had that ability to slow the tempo of a game to a standstill in order to control it.

I see nothing in his management that is any different.
Very true. It is amazing how the playing style of former players influence how they later coach

ChaddyP

It helps, but Pogba has helped himself big time in this tournament, especially against Argentina and Uruguay.

He's sat in front of the back four
Not got caught out of position
Kept it simple when needed
Good decision making

Hes been fantastic in this world cup and im hoping he can take it into the oncoming season.
Exactly this. Nothing to do with Kante. Pogba has been totally different and found the right balance in playing in a double pivot . No unnecessary risks , playing smart passes and keeping the shape of the team

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Professional performance today, no Cavani for Uruguay was a big help.

Now the semifinal, be it against Brazil or Belgium will be quite some game.

Walters_19_MuFc

Exactly this. Nothing to do with Kante. Pogba has been totally different and found the right balance in playing in a double pivot . No unnecessary risks , playing smart passes and keeping the shape of the team
It was what he was doing at the start of the season for us. Got forward a little more, mind, but he wasnt over doing things.

Absolute joy to watch when he plays like he's been playing in the world cup.

el3mel

He's playing as part of a team full of stars, not as the main star who should do everything. It helps.

ChaddyP

It was what he was doing at the start of the season for us. Got forward a little more, mind, but he wasnt over doing things.

Absolute joy to watch when he plays like he's been playing in the world cup.
Yeh I wish France lost because I wanted him for the start of the season. But now he has two more games left

el3mel

France isnt a team of stars any more than untied.
Disagree. They're fully stacked with creative players and except for Giroud, every one can do things on their own. In United we only have Pogba and Sanchez can create so the pressure falls mostly on them.

ChaddyP

Disagree. They're fully stacked with creative players and except for Giroud, every one can do things on their own. In United we only have Pogba and Sanchez can create so the pressure falls mostly on them.
And who does the creativity fall on for France ? Pogba and greizmann . Rashford and martial play very similar to Mbappe. And I would rather have lingard than matuidi in my side. I'm sure no one hear is begging for Tolisso to be purchased.

Lukaku is a much better center forward than giroud.

So to make it seem like France has this plethora of stars on display in the starting 11 is truly false in my opinion.

Denis79

Happy with France winning. Hopefully Croatia and England win for the sake of football for a neutral. Brazil Belgium are both good teams and will be entertaining to watch whoever goes through.