Day 24: Sweden vs England and Russia vs Croatia

What is 'coming home'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Not a single thread of Sweden's existence as a football nation was scary. Or even relevant to football. I just don't understand what the point of Swedish football is.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Wow Gareth's been great to be honest. Whatever happens, a great achievement really.

fallengt

10% luck, 20% skill, 50% concentrated power of will
and 100% reason to remember it's coming home.

podurban2

Congrats to you all! The better team for sure, happy to have faced a team that won on skill and not luck or cuntishness. Have said it before, but a final of Croatia/England/Belgium/France will be awesome, and well deserved!

It might come home? :D

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Don't know about that Russia would be a very tough game with their entire country behind them.
England direct play would cause Russia defence massive problems imo, Spain and their million sideways passes let them off the hook big time.

Russia v Uruguay is how I would expect things to go.

Croatia is miles tougher match up for England imo the way they can dominate possession.

cyberman

BBC having it both ways here. You can't preach about having an easy side of the draw then claim you're flying above expectations when you beat these "easier" sides.
Even so, well done England.
Also I've never seen so many camera shots of a player who did feck all like Kane. He's even got the post match interview!

trafford1980

Spain losing to Russia doesn't make them a worse team than them. The favourite doesnt always win. Of course England would have had it more difficult against Spain and Germany. That really isn't open to debate.
Absolute nonsense. Of course it is.

Mexico beat Germany, Mexico were destroyed by Sweden. England have just beaten Sweden comfortably. These are facts.

If the winner of Belgium/France doesn’t absolutely batter the winner of England/Croatia or Russia then half the posters here are going to have absolute egg faces.

IrishRedDevil

Yeah. What's happened with him?
Haven’t a clue. Had 2 members of staff with him. I noticed right at the end of the game he could have made a run into the corner for Lingard but he was reluctant to sprint. Possible injury? Note this a pure guess so nobody take my head off please.

Revan

Assumptionman
Spain and Germany being pants is no luck.
If England faced today Germany - a team that finished rock bottom in a group containing Germany, Mexico, Korea and Sweden - apparently they wouldn't have been lucky, but facing the team which finished top in that group, and suddenly it is lucky.

Tell me how this isn't 'World Cup should be decided in names rather than performances'. Sweden actually topped the group with Germany (a group which was too difficult for Germany), they are hardly a nothing team.

TheReligion

Abusive
Haven’t a clue. Had 2 members of staff with him. I noticed right at the end of the game he could have made a run into the corner for Lingard but he was reluctant to sprint. Possible injury? Note this a pure guess so nobody take my head off please.
Yeah I'm thinking that too. Bugger.

He obviously come on and felt something go. Tournament over.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln

Mexico beat Germany, Mexico were destroyed by Sweden. England have just beaten Sweden comfortably. These are facts.
And Germany beat Sweden. So this is nonsense too, football is not that simple.

Pagh Wraith

If the winner of Belgium/France doesn’t absolutely batter the winner of England/Croatia or Russia then half the posters here are going to have absolute egg faces.
Okay :lol:

Ban

If England faced today Germany - a team that finished rock bottom in a group containing Germany, Mexico, Korea and Sweden - apparently they wouldn't have been lucky, but facing the team which finished top in that group, and suddenly it is lucky.

Tell me how this isn't 'World Cup should be decided in names rather than performances'. Sweden actually topped the group with Germany (a group which was too difficult for Germany), they are hardly a nothing team.
Exactly.

belanglos

Supports
Bayern München
Congratulations! :-) Sweden gave every team a hard time to so far and England won very convincingly! Really looking forward for the potential game against Croatia though. Modric, Rakitic, Brozovic vs Henderson, Alli, Lingard (Henderson looks surprisingly good).

And apparantly you have a good goalie for once ;-)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Ah so because Coventry City beat United in 2008 when we won the CL, that means they were the best in Europe right?

Or your argument. Mexico beat Germany. Sweden destroyed Mexico. How did Germany beat Sweden?

Of course france/Belgium wont batter them, it's a world cup final... but theyll be favourites. Just like England were the big favourites in every round so far. Favourites dont always win, but England havent surpassed expectations given the draw. Theyve met expectations, so that in itself is a success already given perennial failures in these competitions.

Prodigy24

Lindelöf last one to leave the pitch, looking very disappointed and sad. Though he had an excellent World Cup. Very proud of the national team, nobody expected them to go this far.

Congrats to England and you guys. Better team from the start and deservedly through to the semis. At least it was nice to see Lingard play good. Good luck!

lysglimt

Scout
At least 1 United-player will return to pre-season as World Champion - I am 99% certain that the winner of Croatia - Russia wont win the WC

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I'll tell you what's simple. Germany were shite and got knocked out. So piss off with your nonsense
Comments like that are the main reason why i don't want England to win the whole cup. :lol: The arrogance for the next 4 years of some users, not all ofc, would be unbearable.

marlowe78

Sweden got through a couple of times and called Pickford into action but England on the balance a better team.

Good performances from Trippier, Lingard, and Henderson. Alli didn't do much going forward outside of the goal but I think his defensive play and workrate have been overlooked.

I think England can beat Russia, who IMO are poorer than Sweden (Russia have the better keeper). I can't see them beating Croatia, though, with Modric pulling the strings and the quality of their wingers. Might be a long day for England in that matchup.

Still a brilliant tournament for England. Heads need to be high regardless of what happens after this.

Last edited: