Day 24: Sweden vs England and Russia vs Croatia

What is 'coming home'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canagel

England have controlled for the most part but Sweden had their chances and some of the best in the game still. The defenders are still shaky and can be got at by better teams. Sweden are a poor side. Just like Colombia before. Just like Tunisia and Panama. The first real test will be possibly Crostia and then Belgium/France. Once your in the final it's a one off game and anything is possible. England will never have a better chance to win the world cup than this.

Halftrack

Not a single thread of Sweden's existence as a football nation was scary. Or even relevant to football. I just don't understand what the point of Swedish football is.
Feck off with this elitist crap. So smaller countries should just not try?

Ballache

Supports
Martial
England fully deserved the win, and I hope they go on and win the whole thing.
Fair play to our boys, did really well this WC and exceeded expectations but we really need to start looking at player development and hopefully a few breakthrough for the next WC. We can't solely rely on tactics.

podurban2

Lindelöf last one to leave the pitch, looking very disappointed and sad. Though he had an excellent World Cup. Very proud of the national team, nobody expected them to go this far.

Congrats to England and you guys. Better team from the start and deservedly through to the semis. At least it was nice to see Lingard play good. Good luck!
England fully deserved the win, and I hope they go on and win the whole thing.
Fair play to our boys, did really well this WC and exceeded expectations but we really need to start looking at player development and hopefully a few breakthrough for the next WC. We can't solely rely on tactics.
Swedes congratulating the English while the English are giving us shit, poor souls. :lol:

Pagh Wraith

Comments like that are the main reason why i don't want England to win the whole cup. :lol: The arrogance for the next 4 years of some users, not all ofc, would be unbearable.
To be fair, I haven't supported the German NT (being German) in a single game for 20 years for similar reasons.

trafford1980

Ah so because Coventry City beat United in 2008 when we won the CL, that means they were the best in Europe right?

Or your argument. Mexico beat Germany. Sweden destroyed Mexico. How did Germany beat Mexico?
Coventry weren’t in the CL, it was a different competition. They didn’t play Bayern and co. So I don’t get your point.

I replied to a poster who said it wasn’t up for debate that Germany and Spain would have been more difficult for England.

The only reason it’s not up for debate is because Germany lost to Mexico and South Korea, and because Spain lost to Russia.

Last edited:

GeorgieBoy

BBC having it both ways here. You can't preach about having an easy side of the draw then claim you're flying above expectations when you beat these "easier" sides.
Even so, well done England.
Also I've never seen so many camera shots of a player who did feck all like Kane. He's even got the post match interview!
Well yeah he's the captain.

LARulz

I thought that Keown sounded like someone who learned English from a chopped-up cassette.
:lol: Great description

It honestly felt they were trying to hype themselves up/they felt they had to be over the top

lysglimt

Scout
Comments like that are the main reason why i don't want England to win the whole cup. :lol: The arrogance for the next 4 years of some users, not all ofc, would be unbearable.
I have a feeling the neutrals will cheer for Belgium yes

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
At least 1 United-player will return to pre-season as World Champion - I am 99% certain that the winner of Croatia - Russia wont win the WC
Yeah, though being pedantic they wouldn't be back before the season starts - 3 weeks between WC Final and start of new season, and I think the holiday each player gets is about 3 weeks.

SqueakyWeasel

You do understand that he simply got bored with your insufferable relentless shithousing on a world cup quarter final thread that does not include your preferred team
because they were so shit they finished bottom of their group … couldn't resist it!

Denis' cuff

A German (probably not allowed to call them krauts on here) calling another nation arrogant

Ycnmiu

:lol::lol:

marktan

Swedes congratulating the English while the English are giving us shit, poor souls. :lol:
I think you guys did very well, knocking out Netherlands, Italy and Germany on the way knockouts is a great result.

marlowe78

In a way, this sucks. If England manage to win it, Lingard, Rashford, and Jones (LOL) will come home happy but Lukaku, Fellaini, and Pogba will go home defeated.

Paul778

I hate this doing down of Sweden. Look at their record in qualifying and in the groups.

England played well and kept them pushed back. Just be happy for England

Reactions: SteveJ

Revan

Assumptionman
It would be almost as bad as the arrogance of Germans for the last 4 years.

Pagh Wraith

At least 1 United-player will return to pre-season as World Champion - I am 99% certain that the winner of Croatia - Russia wont win the WC
Another nonsensical comment with a random number thrown in. We can be certain that the true possibility of either Croatia or Russia winning the WC is somewhere between 10 and 20% (I'm allowing a huge margin of error here) at this point.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Exactly the type of game that we'd have lost in the past. It was this tournament's Iceland game.

Played well and Sweden were poor but we wasted so many chances and fafffed around far too much and we'll not get that against Croatia for example, let alone Belgium or France in the final.

Still nothing created for Kane so he comes deeper and deeper and then when we finally put something in the box he isn't there cause he's had to come deep. Hence why Sterling gets the chances and Sterling can't finish his fecking dinner.

Thank god we've got Maguire's magnificently massive bonce 'cause we'd never score a goal.

Loublaze

ATLien
Not a single thread of Sweden's existence as a football nation was scary. Or even relevant to football. I just don't understand what the point of Swedish football is.
Really? So players like Zlatan, Henrik Laarson, Freddie Ljungberg, Thomas Ravelli, Thomas Brolin, Martin Dahlin, Kim Kallstrom, Anders Limpar, Jesper Blomqvist etc never gave Sweden relevance? They also managed 4th at a world cup once, 3rd once and were runners up against the genius of a teenage Pele and Brazil.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Coventry weren’t in the CL, it was a different competition. They didn’t play Bayern and co. So I don’t get your point.

I replied to a poster who said it wasn’t up for debate that Germany and Spain would been more difficult for England.

The only reason it’s not up for debate is because Germany lost to Mexico and South Korea, and because Spain lost to Russia.
I think its pretty obvious it wouldve been more difficult. Spain lacked a cutting edge but they're obviously a better side then Russia, hence them breaking passing records. Against Russia, England would play their normal style and have better players all over the pitch and dominate and probably win. Against Spain, England would sit back and have very little possession, rely on random counters and hope Spain have an off day as Spain have better individuals. Same situation with Germany. They had bad tactics and awful finishing and a bad mentality, but they'd still dominate possession, pressure England and create a lot of chances. Them finishing bottom doesnt change the fact that they had the most shots out of anyone and all the possession.

Being resilient to hold them off, smart and clinical on the break is what's needed against those. It's a completely different game playing Sweden/Russia when you play your normal game, or spain/Germany where they dominate the ball and make you change.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Fabian Delph: "My wife's an absolute machine" :nono:
How the hell did this guy get on the field ahead of Rashford when he's done about 20k Km on planes since the Belgium match?
Fabian Delph: "Yea, it was great to be able to go home and be present for a birth of my child, it only happens ones in a life time".

This is his third child.

GeorgieBoy

When England win in the final I am going to rub it in the face of every Scot/Welsh/Irish person I meet for the next 4 years years until we win it again and it returns for the 2nd time in a row.
I will be insufferable.

Affirmation

I'm mega happy with that, it's coming home... hopefully. Come on England let's do this :D

Dante

Average bang
When England win in the final I am going to rub it in the face of every Scot/Welsh/Irish person I meet for the next 4 years years until we win it again and it returns for the 2nd time in a row.
I will be insufferable.
We'll win the Euros in 2020 as well, mate.