Day 24: Sweden vs England and Russia vs Croatia

What is 'coming home'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shark

@NotShark
Why the feck do the English throw their pints of beer in the air? Baffling to an Irishman.

Pipan

Watching Swedish TV and I agree with the analysis. Swedens press did not bite, leading to loss of energy. Allowed two easy goals while not being able to finish the few chances we got. Deserved win for England, congratulations! I hope Rashford will shoot you to the world cup trophy :)

Reactions: SteveJ

reelworld

Comments like that are the main reason why i don't want England to win the whole cup. :lol: The arrogance for the next 4 years of some users, not all ofc, would be unbearable.
what arrogance? He's perfectly right. Germany was shite during the tournament. Their position in the group show us that.

0161_UNITED

Game was awful, I was hoping you lot were tired from 120 minutes against Colombia. Nonetheless, we have been fantastic in this World Cup. See you again. ;)
Never enjoy seeing a proper team and proper fans go out at this point, mate. Been there ourselves!!! Sending a virtual pint and regards!

Zlaatan

Parody Account
That wasn't even particularly close was it. Congrats to England, the better team won and I hope you go on to lift the trophy in the end.

Not a single thread of Sweden's existence as a football nation was scary. Or even relevant to football. I just don't understand what the point of Swedish football is.
We get that you're trying to be controversial but when you try too hard you just end up with complete nonsense.

Absolute nonsense. Of course it is.

Mexico beat Germany, Mexico were destroyed by Sweden. England have just beaten Sweden comfortably. These are facts.

If the winner of Belgium/France doesn’t absolutely batter the winner of England/Croatia or Russia then half the posters here are going to have absolute egg faces.
Those are the facts yes but it doesn't say anything about how a game between Germany/Mexico and England would have ended because football or any other sport doesn't work like that. The argument is especially flawed since Germany beat Sweden, so your own logic goes against itself.

trafford1980

I think its pretty obvious it wouldve been more difficult. Spain lacked a cutting edge but they're obviously a better side then Russia, hence them breaking passing records. Against Russia, England would play their normal style and have better players all over the pitch and dominate and probably win. Against Spain, England would sit back and have very little possession, rely on random counters and hope Spain have an off day as Spain have better individuals. Same situation with Germany. They had bad tactics and awful finishing and a bad mentality, but they'd still dominate possession, pressure England and create a lot of chances. Them finishing bottom doesnt change the fact that they had the most shots out of anyone and all the possession.

Being resilient to hold them off, smart and clinical on the break is what's needed against those. It's a completely different game playing Sweden/Russia when you play your normal game, or spain/Germany where they dominate the ball and make you change.
I actually agree with some of what you’re saying here but collectively Germany & Spain only won 2 from 7 matches. That’s form. They didn’t just slip up the once. And whilst they obviously had the lion share of possession, they didn’t look particularly great at all and I don’t think the round of 16/quarter-finals onwards has been weaker for not having them both in it. Not on their current form.

Denis79

Really happy England won. Good day for football. I usually have a soft spot for the underdog but Swedens negative and boring football reminded me of Greece back in 2004, just awful to watch. Happy it didn't make it further.

StillPlayingFooty

Supports
Liverpool FC
Jordan Pickford actually looks like a winning goalie. The same way Courtois looked yesterday. Good and important saves from both of them.

I will be rooting for Croatia in an hour.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just goes to show that it's all about the team aspect. Yes England haven't beaten any real heavyweights but they're sailing along smoothly to the semis despite not having an incredibly talented team. But they have balance and fluidity and that brings the best out of everyone. It's something that most forget in this day and age of stat obsession and individual/balon dor obsession.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
when is someone going to have the guts to go against this nonsense about Sterling can't be dropped, a goal will come, leaving him out will destroy the lad blah blah. yes, he works hard but so would anyone picked to play for england. one very poor miss today, another where he was very fortunate the flag went up. against better teams than sweden, we'd be heavily punished for those. I'm not saying pick rashford ahead of him but I am saying pick someone ahead of him. On another note, we'll never leave Young out of our side next season now. Oh. well, less than five weeks until we kick of the season!