Day 3: Argentina vs Saudi Arabia | Denmark vs Tunisia | Mexico vs Poland | France vs Australia

slyadams

Did FIFA announce they were going to do this, with respect to stoppage time? I don't mind it, but it seems to have come out of the blue.

KeanoMagicHat

Argentina and Brazil get so overrated every tournament I swear. No control, no system, no sustained pressure, just chaos and individualistic play. Been saying it from before the tournament. They're unknowns until they prove they can actually incorporate systems to compete with the European elite
Part of the problem is the Nations League now limits encounters between European and South American teams so they don’t get practice and it’s hard to judge their true level. Brazil haven’t played an elite European team in ages. No Confederations cup anymore either.

Lecland07

Had a feeling Argentina would lose this after watching the first half. They just didn't look good at all.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Completely different game.

France was the better team in that match, missed many chances to score, and Senegal scored in a counter attack, their only shot on goal btw.

Argentina isn't dominating SA
Argentina’s midfielders aren’t on the level of championship contenders.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Aren't Argentina unbeaten in 35 games or so? They must have something about them.
South American qualifiers are not very competitive. Neither Brazil nor Argentina have played anyone of note outside of South America, and the only competitive teams there are those 2 and Uruguay.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Feel for the Argies but delighted for the Saudis. This is what the World Cup is all about :devil:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
For all the talk of Ronaldo being finished, Messi walking about the pitch doesn't really help Argentina at all. Maybe it works in the French league.
He's been walking around for a good few years now. Like Ronaldo he's physically done, technically still brilliant.

Stadjer

Completely different game.

France was the better team in that match, missed many chances to score, and Senegal scored in a counter attack, their only shot on goal btw.

Argentina isn't dominating SA
SA only had two shots at goal and scored both. That isnt that different. Argentina is dominating today but only the first game. I wouldnt write them off just yet.

Lecland07

The long stoppage time is great. With the introduction of VAR, we were watching less football than ever as extra time has never taken VAR into account. It never increased upon the period before VAR.

Redderp

Perhaps they are more used to the conditions, this is basically midday in the desert which will be tough for everyone. Wales V Iran at 10 am on Friday will be interesting.
There’s aircondition in every stadium so the temperatures are normal. It’s just the mentality of being up 2-1 and almost playing at home.

Not any different than seeing an underdog home team in the premier league fighting when they are up against a big team.

hobbers

If you told me Ole was managing Argentina I'd believe you based on this performance.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Spot on. Comments here saying Argentina are shite are ridiculous. Clearly have the memory of a goldfish.

May as well call Man City shite because they lost to Brentford in their last match
Think it's more some people just dismissing England's performance yesterday so you're getting these comments. And Saudi really hasn't done much at World cup in last 20 years.

This is going to be one of the biggest shocks we've seen tbh in the World cup for a long time given Argentina are generally always a top 5 nation in terms of ability and achievement.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Argentina and Brazil get so overrated every tournament I swear. No control, no system, no sustained pressure, just chaos and individualistic play. Been saying it from before the tournament. They're unknowns until they prove they can actually incorporate systems to compete with the European elite
This. It's been a weak cycle for CONMEBOL. Everyone seems to think we (Brazil) are nailed on to win but I'm not falling for the hype this time. Can we do it? Sure - but it'll be tough.