g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Day 3: Argentina vs Saudi Arabia | Denmark vs Tunisia | Mexico vs Poland | France vs Australia

redcucumber

Oh wow, yea that’s a big one too.

For the supposed “goat” it’s some really bad marks on that resume.
His successes (and ability and watchability) obviously massively outweigh his fails, more so than any other player in history.

FattyFooty

It’s crazy but Messi has truly been on the wrong side of some of the worst/biggest meltdown defeats in modern soccer history

- Argentina VS Chile where he missed the penalty causing them to lose and then Quitting on his national team (that was not goat behavior)

- Meltdown VS Roma in the 3-0 defeat

- meltdown vs Liverpool once again surrendering a 3-0 lead defeat and disappearing

- loss to Saudi Arabia at the World Cup
From what i understand, in Argentina Maradonna is bigger than Messi.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
But also part of that come back against PSG for example. It is just what you want to focus upon.
To be fair Neymar was the true catalyst on that game.

Messi has the worst losses/meltdown defeats I can recall in modern history for a player of his stature l

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
This is why Argentina will forever have more muriels of Maradona than Messi plastered all over the land. There will hardly be any Messi ones left in 10-20 years time.
Messi was terrible today but I'm not sure he can be blamed for chucking away a lead to Saudi Arabia.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
SA were good but embarassing performance by Argentina, they look really easy to beat.

SportingCP96

Supports
His successes (and ability and watchability) obviously massively outweigh his fails, more so than any other player in history.
I can think of one that outweighs his successes

Dazzmondo

Saudi Arabia manager pulled a masterclass and having to listen to panellists on RTE and ITV harping on about their poor high line just reinforces that being a player doesn't mean you have any idea about tactics or defending.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
To be fair Neymar was the true catalyst on that game.

Messi has the worst losses/meltdown defeats I can recall in modern history for a player of his stature l
Well, to also be fair, Messi was never the catalyst for the capitulation...

SerendipityNow

Supports
Barcelona
Well deserved win. Gomez, Di Maria and Martinez were horrible up front. No world cup glory for Messi this time either, their team is simply not good enough.

humdinger

Superb match! So glad I ended up watching that!

Souness is so excited he keeps calling them Argentinia

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
What a result by the Saudi. Really awful performance by Argentina. Are there no better defenders than freaking Otamendi? Nice job by the Argentinian Fernando Santos. I imagine millions of Acca's ruined. Thankfully I bet on goals.

SportingCP96

Supports
From what i understand, in Argentina Maradonna is bigger than Messi.
Oh for sure, Messi possibly isn’t even the best Argentina player of all time
Depending on who you ask, most Argentine I have a feeling agree with that sentiment

the_cliff

Saudi Arabia manager pulled a masterclass and having to listen to panellists on RTE and ITV harping on about their poor high line just reinforces that being a player doesn't mean you have any idea about tactics or defending.
I know right. There were fine margins but until the subs in the second half they were well worth their lead.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Whenever his team loses he can never be blamed to some fans
Which aspect of that defeat should he be blamed for?

They conceded two goals to Saudi Arabia ffs. What is he supposed to do about that?

And what will get lost in the ensuing chaos of the result is that the Saudi's actually played really well. They were extremely well organised and look by far the fittest and most physical team that I've seen yet at this tournament.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Biggest shock since Argentina lost to Cameroon in the opening game of 1990. Argentina went all the way to the final that year so still wouldn't rule them out.
Just heard the same from the Argentinian commentary I get here. They also doubled down with Spain losing to Switzerland in 2010.

Straws, a whole field of them

massi83

That performance should be enough to give player of the tournament to Messi

cyberman

Which aspect of that defeat should he be blamed for?

They conceded two goals to Saudi Arabia ffs. What is he supposed to do about that?

And what will get lost in the ensuing chaos of the result is that the Saudi's actually played really well. They were extremely well organised and look by far the fittest and most physical team that I've seen yet at this tournament.
He gave the ball away for the first goal

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Not too surprised at this. I was talking to a Polish friend of mine on Sunday and said watch out for Saudi. They will make a surprise.

They topped a very tough qualifying group including Japan and Australia, and most importantly they have RENE HAVARD.

What a coach. Was so incredibly unlucky with Morocco 4 years ago, but glad for him.

Shows up Queiroz and his anti-football brand of football with this result. Well done Saudi

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Great result for Saudi Arabia, great game to watch. Underdogs getting the victory, loads of hard tackles and desperation from Saudi Arabia. Really enjoyed watching that match.