Day 3: Argentina vs Saudi Arabia | Denmark vs Tunisia | Mexico vs Poland | France vs Australia

the_cliff

Every single match has had an insane amount of extra time. I haven't followed any so what is the reason for them? It's almost unfathomable to me to see one match go beyond 10 mins of ET but this is the fourth to go this much distance I think.
Collina the chief of Referees said that they are cutting down on time wasting so this world cup there will be regular extra times of 5+ minutes.

In this game there was 8 mins of injury team because of the extra time which is fair, there was then a 5 min stoppage for the injury to the defender, so 13-14 mins was fair.

Bangor_Red

Kinda seemed like the ref was rooting for Argentina there. Was so quick to get yellows out within seconds of dwelling on frees etc. Refused to stop play for a head injury. No protection for keeper. Terrible ref performance I thought in second half. Didn't watch first

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Well done to Saudi. Very impressive team performance.

rollingstoned1

Argentina's national pool of players as bad as italians? Who'd have thought :houllier:
International football going through a lull? Even Netherlands are no great shakes atm based on what I saw against Senegal. Argentina playing a bunch of 35 yr olds just makes you scratch your head.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I've seen Di Maria have some stinkers, but this has to be his worst ever performance

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It’s crazy but Messi has truly been on the wrong side of some of the worst/biggest meltdown defeats in modern soccer history

- Argentina VS Chile where he missed the penalty causing them to lose and then Quitting on his national team (that was not goat behavior)

- Meltdown VS Roma in the 3-0 defeat

- meltdown vs Liverpool once again surrendering a 3-9 defeat and disappearing

- loss to Saudi Arabia at the World Cup
8-2 vs Bayern too

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
De Paul, Di Maria and Gomez shouldn't play again in this tournament. Utter dog shite.

BarstoolProphet

Every single match has had an insane amount of extra time. I haven't followed any so what is the reason for them? It's almost unfathomable to me to see one match go beyond 10 mins of ET but this is the fourth to go this much distance I think.
Collina going to war against timewasting. It was announced before the tournament started. They are accumulating the time wasted during each half. Loving it so far.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
To be fair they are also almost on recording breaking undefeated run
Yeah but they still played like shit at times. I even questioned them a few times on this forum the last 2 years when they played qualifiers and everyone said they played better then with all their stars from the past.
Take Messi, Di Maria and Lauataro out and they're so painfully average it's incredible considering Argentina's history of producing great players.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Collina going to war against timewasting. It was announced before the tournament started. Loving it so far.
Which makes 8 minutes added on in this one all the more bizarre. Their time wasting was unbelievable all game yet this game got less time added on than the England 2nd half for example.

slored1

Where does this rank historically as a surprising WC result? In my following (after 2006) I'd say only Costa Rica winning the group in 2014 could top this one.

Dazzmondo

Biggest shock since Argentina lost to Cameroon in the opening game of 1990. Argentina went all the way to the final that year so still wouldn't rule them out.

Hanks

Not too surprised at this. I was talking to a Polish friend of mine on Sunday and said watch out for Saudi. They will make a surprise.

They topped a very tough qualifying group including Japan and Australia, and most importantly they have RENE HAVARD.

What a coach. Was so incredibly unlucky with Morocco 4 years ago, but glad for him.

Shows up Queiroz and his anti-football brand of football with this result. Well done Saudi

RedDevilMachine

Collina the chief of Referees said that they are cutting down on time wasting so this world cup there will be regular extra times of 5+ minutes.

In this game there was 8 mins of injury team because of the extra time which is fair, there was then a 5 min stoppage for the injury to the defender, so 13-14 mins was fair.
Good call.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Yeah but they still played like shit at times. I even questioned them a few times on this forum the last 2 years when they played qualifiers and everyone said they played better then with all their stars from the past.
Take Messi, Di Maria and Lauataro out and they're so painfully average it's incredible considering Argentina's history of producing great players.
That's why they were one of the favourites though. Because they were playing like shit and still getting wins. Something that previous Argentina sides lacked.

Stadjer

It’s crazy but Messi has truly been on the wrong side of some of the worst/biggest meltdown defeats in modern soccer history

- Argentina VS Chile where he missed the penalty causing them to lose and then Quitting on his national team (that was not goat behavior)

- Meltdown VS Roma in the 3-0 defeat

- meltdown vs Liverpool once again surrendering a 3-9 defeat and disappearing

- loss to Saudi Arabia at the World Cup
But also part of that come back against PSG for example. It is just what you want to focus upon.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Where does this rank historically as a surprising WC result? In my following (after 2006) I'd say only Costa Rica winning the group in 2014 could top this one.
Good shout. Costa Rica 1-0 Italy in terms of a relative minnow defeating a giant would be up there in recent times.

That was pretty much a home world cup for Costa Rica so this has same feel with the number of fans at the ground supporting Saudis.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
This is why Argentina will forever have more muriels of Maradona than Messi plastered all over the land. There will hardly be any Messi ones left in 10-20 years time.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
International football going through a lull? Even Netherlands are no great shakes atm based on what I saw against Senegal. Argentina playing a bunch of 35 yr olds just makes you scratch your head.
It's crazy. Almost each decade you had multiple amazing Dutch, Argentine and Italian players yet now in the past 5-10 years nothing. Where are all the prodigies?