Day 4: Costa Rica vs Serbia, Germany vs Mexico , Brazil vs Switzerland

Distracted Steward

Very well good refereeing so far. That’s been a big part in letting this game unfurl. Good watch this.

Absolutely blown away by this Mexican side. Taking the game to the Germans. Fast, aggressive and sharp. Not afraid to take on the ball, even with a German on their shoulder. Well knit and threatening offensively. Most impressive side thus far for me.
Totally. They’ve done a fantastic job making the match their strengths and not Germany’s. Staying on the front foot made it all possible so far.

Reading some comments on the web live text praising Mexico but also surprised by them. They’ve got some quality footballers and should be 2 or 3 up. Hope they don’t let this opportunity slip.
I keep thinking that when Mexico spurns chances. They could be made to pay for this.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
If there was a game to show why Kroos needs a Casemiro behind him this has been it.

Abizzz

Feck me, rather than correcting the stat about Germany winning France 98, Lineker's actually compounded it by saying that Germany's success started v Mexico. Wtf are these people paid for?
I don't know but they used to get paid for hitting a heavy piece of leather with their heads;).
(I'm joking of course, but only a bit)

Eila

Damn Mexico playing like they are winning 5-0 at HT. Need more energy again.

Fully Fledged

The first date I ever took the girl who is now my wife on was during the 2010 World Cup. We went to a sports bar and watched the US draw with England 1-1.

We got married the same day as my favorite college football team played in a huge bowl game... she didn’t mind that we put TVs up to watch the game during our reception dinner.

I did well for myself, I think.
That you did.
Another friends wedding they had a gap between the ceremony and the reception so that the couple could go and watch our local football team. She is as mad about them as he is.

saivet

German might even have problem against the fast and hard running korean. This look like a case of defending champion being knocked out at the group stage like France in 2002.
Happened with Italy in 2010 and Spain in 2014 too.

From what I've heard, Sweden and Korea are shit, so think they will be fine even if they lose today.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Happened with Italy in 2014 and Spain in 2014 too.

From what I've heard, Sweden and Korea are shit, so think they will be fine even if they lose today.
So there were 2 defending champions in 2014? Was that a first?

Stadjer

I love the ref during this game. Hardly stops the match and only stops the play for actual fouls. Wish more refs were like this... makes the game more fun to watch too.

Kapardin

I'd honestly like to see Mexico and South Korea qualify over Germany and Sweden in this group. Both play a more exciting brand of football.

Doubt Germany will be knocked out that easy though. But so far we have seem chinks in the armor of WC favorites like France and Germany. Seems like a Brazil-Spain final is likely, 2 teams with the least weaknesses.

Rojofiam

I'd honestly like to see Mexico and South Korea qualify over Germany and Sweden in this group. Both play a more exciting brand of football.

Doubt Germany will be knocked out that easy though. But so far we have seem chinks in the armor of WC favorites like France and Germany. Seems like a Brazil-Spain final is likely, 2 teams with the least weaknesses.
I doubt Spain will even get to the semis

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What's the point of Khedira? Genuine question.
In that system none, ideally you use him like Matuidi was with PSG meaning that you let him run forward and provide some energy but as an holding midfielder he is useless.

PoTMS

WTF are Germany doing? Mexico should be doing much better with these chances.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I cannot believe they didn't score! What a wasted opportunity!