Day 5: Sweden vs South Korea, Belgium vs Panama and Tunisia vs England (19H00)

Yagami

Good post resistant
Come on England and South Korea! Let's goooooooo boys
Monday even has the most boring matchday so far.
They have England and South Korea. All that's missing is Japan for the perfect set of fixtures!

Rebecca

Come on England

Last edited by a moderator:

A-man

Big day for Lindelof today! First match and setting the tone. I expect him to take over the leader role for future tournaments and hope he does that already today.

In general rather boring Swedish team with 9 work horses and only one offensive player of high class (Forsberg). But they have been fighting hard and ugly to get there and they will fight just as hard and ugly to stay as long as possible.

crossy1686

career ending
I've watched every game so far and I can safely say there is no one worth fearing at this World Cup so far, everyone looks beatable. Best team I've seen so far is Mexico so there's no reason why England shouldn't be in with a shout if they play well.

I'm sure the bigger nations will get into their stride over the next two games but it's anyone's at the moment.

RoyH1

Sweden-Korea and Tunisia-England look like draws to me. Panama might be the weakest team here with Saudi Arabia so I think Belgium wins this one comfortably.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
It's been a pretty entertaining World Cup so far and, at time of writing, every game has produced a goal.

So I fully expect England to buck this trend.

England 0 0 Tunisia.
That would be so typical England. I fecking hope not though. England really need a good start and the lads are not known to cope well under pressure. Enough of the big teams under-performing. Hope Belgium and England get comfortable wins today.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Sweden-Korea and Tunisia-England look like draws to me. Panama might be the weakest team here with Saudi Arabia so I think Belgium wins this one comfortably.
That's what i thought about iceland. I mean... its argentina with messi in the first round... 1-1

Bar saudi it's a bad round for top teams. Would put it past them to nick a draw or a slim 1 nil lost

TheLiverBird

I feel we (England) will delivery today and get off to a good start to our World Cup Campaign

Normally I'm hoping they turn up but expect a display of 10/10 boredom levels and disappointing results

But I genuinely feel and expect that they are just going to go for it today

3-0 England

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I feel we (England) will delivery today and get off to a good start to our World Cup Campaign

Normally I'm hoping they turn up but expect a display of 10/10 boredom levels and disappointing results

But I genuinely feel and expect that they are just going to go for it today

3-0 England
This is the most positive I've felt about England in absolutely ages.

We've got the most likable and exciting squad that we've had for a long time... and this tournament at the moment looks like it could be there for the taking.

Fredrik.A

Cancelled plane in sweden so between 100-200 swedes wont make the game.Feel bad för them but hopefully there will be lots of swedes anyway.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I've jokingly said before almost every game that I expect the Chelsea player to run the show but I do think this will be Eden Hazard's day to really put on a show.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Let's fecking do this England. Can genuinely say this is the first international tournament I predict England will reach the final 8, usually I'm extremely pessimistic, and have been proven right most times.

TheLiverBird

This is the most positive I've felt about England in absolutely ages.

We've got the most likable and exciting squad that we've had for a long time... and this tournament at the moment looks like it could be there for the taking.
Indeed

We are in a decent group with regards to "chances" of winning it

win the group and we will face a relatively easier team in the next round

With that you'd like to think, confidence will come and momentum

Thats totally all ifs and buts, we've lost to bad teams in the past that we shouldn't have lost too, but you've got to treat each WC differently

Come on England!!

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I think we could be the first top team to have a dominant and impressive performance today even if it is only against Panama. If Hazard plays on the level he did in the friendlies he'll absolutely tear them apart.

Really looking forward to England as well, and hope you win your game and set the hierarchy for this group early on.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I've jokingly said before almost every game that I expect the Chelsea player to run the show but I do think this will be Eden Hazard's day to really put on a show.
He was amazing against Costa Rica and already great against Egypt as well. Courtois and Alderweireld both said he's taken it to another level and they haven't ever seen him play this good. Hoping he sets the tone early on and definitely should be able to against a minnow like Panama. I know you should take every game seriously and I'm certain we will but the difference in class should simply be too big, it's not like they're on the same level as Switzerland, Mexico or Iceland, not even close if I have to believe the Belgian newspapers. I don't know a single player on their team and they have the oldest squad as well.

Janson

Let's fecking do this England. Can genuinely say this is the first international tournament I predict England will reach the final 8, usually I'm extremely pessimistic, and have been proven right most times.
I don't know why, but I also have a feeling that England might get somewhere this time.

Janson

I haven't been following international football for a while. Have never even heard of half of our players. But from what I hear, I can't be overly confident.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I can't tell what's going to happen in Sweden-South Korea - think it'll be the first 0-0.

I wonder if I am the only Welshman who wants England to lose
In the past I used to, but I just don't have the same hatred for the English Rugby team as I do for the football team. I quite like England to do well in football - after all, United is based there.

Robertd0803

Lingard will have a stunning World Cup is my slightly out there prediction.

Jim Reaper

So no midfield, no defense...
nothing wrong with that team. we should have the ball more often than not and want to be attacking and expansive. i would of played trent-arnold instead of trippier though, personally. hope maguire gets the nod over cahill and young over rose is a given since rose hasnt played much football. dier isnt needed in a game like this. hope to see rashford for sterling at some point in the game.

Ainu

I think we could be the first top team to have a dominant and impressive performance today even if it is only against Panama. If Hazard plays on the level he did in the friendlies he'll absolutely tear them apart.

Really looking forward to England as well, and hope you win your game and set the hierarchy for this group early on.
We actually had some decent team play against Costa Rica for a change and I guess Panama are supposed to be a lot worse, so yeah you'd expect us to impress in this match. I told myself not to get too hyped about this world cup but Hazard is making it difficult, I've never seen him this good for us. Please don't get injured! That would pretty much finish us.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Probably the worst set of games in terms of spectacle in the tournament today.

Sweden-Korea- Swedes did brilliantly to qualify but don't expext them to make last 16, more so with result of Mexico. Even in friendlies Sweden have really struggled to score goals and S. Korea have looked pretty poor aswell.

Belgium- Panama- Comfortable Belgium win, can see it being 3 or 4 nil.

England- Tunisia- Tunisia don't concede a huge anount and played well v Spain two weeks ago so likely to be a tight one. 1-0, Kane winner around 60th minute mark.

buchansleftleg

Ah England.....

It's really funny how everyone has been saying for weeks...low expectations....young squad....learning experience this time round etc etc then all of a sudden 2 days before the game the press corps kick into full "patriot" mode and start with the whole "we might just...we can you know....we WILL win it storyline.

So of course by the day of the actual game...

Kane is all of a sudden compared to Ronaldo....(but obvs not trophy cabinet comparison?)
An untried goalkeeper at major tournaments suddenly becomes Buffon-esque
A midfield centred on Jordon Henderson suddenly becomes able to unpick defences with the skill of Peak Pirlo
A young and inexperienced defence will somehow channel the spirit of Baresi and Gandalf so that none shall pass!

While in the background Southgate whispers that the group is "tougher than people think" and the usual ignorance of world football means that it's assumed that "small countries" like Mexico will be subdued by European teams.

I honestly think this team will lose to Tunisia, will scramble a win against Panama and then get humbled by a second string Belgium side that has already qualified.

At least this time we have not had the usual jingoistic war based memes to put up with, although I'm sure Piers Morgan will probably tweet something offensive later today!

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
We actually had some decent team play against Costa Rica for a change and I guess Panama are supposed to be a lot worse, so yeah you'd expect us to impress in this match. I told myself not to get too hyped about this world cup but Hazard is making it difficult, I've never seen him this good for us. Please don't get injured! That would pretty much finish us.
Same.

Now watch us struggle for the majority of the game to break down their double wall :lol: An early goal would be great, and that's what Hazard is good for, that flash of brilliance to make the difference.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pray for Duffer btw....I had a nervous look at both squad lists yesterday and no Chelsea representation at all in the Sweden-South Korea squads.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Ah England.....

It's really funny how everyone has been saying for weeks...low expectations....young squad....learning experience this time round etc etc then all of a sudden 2 days before the game the press corps kick into full "patriot" mode and start with the whole "we might just...we can you know....we WILL win it storyline.
Who is saying that?

SteveTheRed

I was optimistic before the tournament starts, but now I've seen a few games - every team looks like it is fighting for it's life. Something that I can't remember seeing with England.

I don't think Tunisia will be a pushover, England definitely play better football but as we have seen from teams like Mexico , Iceland, Switzerland, Australia...it's never as simple as that in a tournament like this. Grit and determination play a huge part.

I'm predicting a tough game, a late 1 - 0 win for us.

Handsome Devil

This might just be the tournament though where England finally get their act together and give it a go.
Whatever the score, I think the FA tribute at the war memorial was a nice touch.