Day 6: Colombia vs Japan, Poland vs Senegal and Russia vs Egypt

Welbeckham

All Japanese attacking players bar Kagawa have looked absolute crap. Bit surprising considering their decent club status, while I didn't expect much from them.

VP

Not that ridiculous he’s just using his experience to get a free kick. There was contact and he may have manufactured it but it’s more clever than anything.
No it wasn't clever - it was cheating. From fans to players to refs, we really need to stop normalizing shit like this. Football must be the only sport where it's acceptable to cheat.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Players will turn round and say 'well there's contact, he's entitled to go down'
This is the thing though, Football seems to going into the non-contact world. It's always been a contact sport so they should deal with it if they're nudged or have weight used against them.

It's far too soft at the moment.

Eila

True that
Asian teams African teams have regress in a way
They had Japan and Korea in the R16 in 2010. Then in 2002 they of course had the infamous korean run, and Japan also qualified to R16. They haven't followed up since then.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We’ve seen in dozens of times slowed down, from multiple angles. In real time it looked a free kick and from the angle the referee was at its very undstandable to see why he gave a free kick.
No it didn't, it looked like a standard coming together.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Also asian teams having a mare again. Iran are the only ones that won, and let's get real, they are not knocking out Spain or Portugal.
All the African teams have lost so far.

pjaya

They had Japan and Korea in the R16 in 2010. Then in 2002 they of course had the infamous korean run, and Japan also qualified to R16. They haven't followed up since then.
Lack of development of new players I suppose.. anyway for japan baseball is quite a big sport...

Hansa

From fans to players to refs, we really need to stop normalizing shit like this.
It really reduces the enjoyment when you know good results are being achieved by either a moment of cheating, or a consistently unfair approach.

James Peril

No it wasn't clever - it was cheating. From fans to players to refs, we really need to stop normalizing shit like this. Football must be the only sport where it's acceptable to cheat.
Doubt you've ever played football. Clever from Falcao when he is under pressure, up to the ref to decide if it's enough for a free-kick or not. So many tough guys behind their keyboards these days.

pjaya

But in fairness the free kick is quite clever as most expect the free kick to be over the wall...
Ronaldo did once if not mistaken with utd

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I think a taller or quicker GK could have saved Colombia's free kick. Also amusing to see the Japanese protesting the goal line technology.

VP

Doubt you've ever played football. Clever from Falcao when he is under pressure, up to the ref to decide if it's enough for a free-kick or not. So many tough guys behind their keyboards these days.
Of course I play football and I try not to cheat. Don't tell me you cheat while playing with your mates? Must be a charm playing with you.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Japan made it to the round of 16 in 2010 beating Cameroon and Denmark in the group stage, only got knocked out on penalties by Paraguay. South Korea also did pretty well making out of a group with Argentina, Greece and Nigeria, losing to Uruguay in Round of 16. I don't think Asian teams are that weak, they just don't have any competition in their region so they are sort of a victim of their own success.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Horrendous defending by Sanchez

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I agree. There are not enough penalties given in everyday football compared to all the fouling going on.
It's a gentleman's game played by hooligans. ;)

Oh absolutely. Probably could've been about 3-4 more even and yet more 50/50 calls. If anything it shows how much refs held back from giving penalties before. Theres at least a legitimate penalty shout for one of the 2 teams in most games when you think about it. With VAR, more of them should get called now so we'll definitely see way more pens. And rightfully so.
Yeah. In the PL you see defenders (I'm looking at you Smalling :p) gambling on the chance that the ref either doesn't see the foul or doesn't have the balls to blow for anything less than a stonewall decision. Hope we see a change in the league too. It's pretty simple, if you don't want to give away penalties just stop the incessant fecking fouling.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Davidson Sanchez has been quite poor

Eila

Oh my god, Japan needs to finish one of these or they might regret it.

DRM

Interesting game this, really enjoying it. I like Japan, hope they win!