Day 6: Colombia vs Japan, Poland vs Senegal and Russia vs Egypt

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That's what you have to endure, when you support Sweden.:)
It was a great achievement for you guys to get to WC given who you played but pleasing on the eye you aren't.

Would be amazed if the likes of Senegal and Colombia are more dull to watch today.

Ole90+3

How are people not exciting by these 3 games? Group H is the most exciting group of the tournament for me. Senegal are my underdogs, have quality in key positions. Colombia are always fun to watch and I've been fond of Japan's style since the 2002 WC.

Egypt v Russia is the first must win game of the tournament so should see an attacking Egypt side. Salah should really be able to tear that Russian defence apart - they are so average apart from their decent RB. The only thing stopping him would be his lack of match fitness which will certainly play a factor.

Last edited:

Janson

It was a great achievement for you guys to get to WC given who you played but pleasing on the eye you aren't.

Would be amazed if the likes of Senegal and Colombia are more dull to watch today.
You're right. We have been effective lately but I think we were more fun to watch with Zlatan. Today might be fun to watch, just meant that there are no strong teams on display.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
With a fair wind Colombia could reach quarter finals again.

Plenty of star names playing today, James, Falcao (Monaco rebooted version), Mane, Salah.

Honestly think it will be a really good day of football.

RoyH1

Colombia- Japan should be cracking fun for neutrals. Poland-Senegal, don't know. I hope we finally get an African team that can deliver.

Egypt in a must win against the hosts is not bad either.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Colombian media reporting that James is doubtful for today's match.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Russia are playing at home and they only need a draw. They'll park the bus and try to take away the space in behind that Salah loves to run into. Egypt has trouble defending crosses and set pieces so Dzyuba should cause them some trouble if he plays.

I think the logic of the game favours the russians but Salah is incredible and even without him Egypt looked solid against Uruguay, no idea how that one will go.

Senegal is the team I'm most looking forward to watching, hopefully they play attacking football.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Colombian media reporting that James is doubtful for today's match.
I read that he missed a training due to 'muscle fatigue' in his calf, I'd still expect him to play this afternoon.

izec

Senegal have a great team to be fair. Mane, Keita Balde, Kouyate, Koulibaly, Salif Sane, Sarr are all good players. I think Senegal-Poland will be a crucial game for both teams in fight to qualify. A loss would be a blow, but i back Senegal and Colombia to qualify, as long as they can handle Lewandowski

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Colombia 2-1 Japan
Poland 1-2 Senegal
Russia 1-1 Egypt

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Poland Senegal looks bloody good on paper. Step forward Mane!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Poland Senegal looks bloody good on paper. Step forward Mane!
Yeah that one and Russia vs Egypt also looks good.

Poland and Senegal looks evenly matched teams on paper, should be a cracking game.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Russia vs Egypt to me looks like a game where it would benefit both to lure the other into taking the role of attacker for most of the game.

Egypt seem to struggle when they have to dictate the play in the games i've watched. Cuper has them set up as a low lying defensive side with Salah wreaking havoc on the counter once enough space has opened up.

Russia's defence is their biggest weakness, only RB Mario Fernandes is a good player. It wasn't good even full strength and with some CB injuries we've had to call back a completely washed up Ignashevich, a player now a liability against anyone fast, or more talented than relegation battling RPL teams. At left-back it'll likely be 34 year old Yuri Zhirkov who goes head to head with Salah, i rated Zhirkov highly...10 years ago before his knees fell apart. Even then, before all his injuries he was much better as a rampaging Brasilian style fullback rather than a great defender, nowadays he won't have the stamina or pace to keep up with Salah.

Russia will need to keep the lines close between midfield and a low defence and choose which countering opportunities to commit to wisely, the midfield has plenty of energetic players that can cover a lot of distance, no need for the defence to drift up high. The worry is being the home team and after such a good start, cherchesov will want to go to a more attacking set up. This defence isn't good enough to cover for that without giving up a number of chances.

DavidDeSchmikes

Shame it didn't work out for Falcao at Man Utd:(. It was surreal that we finished 7th under Moyes, only to have LVG sign Di Maria, Valdes and Falcao

pjaya

Lol suppose to start but have to change place
Ref is not concentrating?