Day 6: Finland vs Russia | Turkey vs Wales | Italy vs Switzerland

hubbuh

No one can tell me Italy have a better team than England. Yet look at the kind of football they are playing.
Has any other national team in the world got a manager as good as Mancini, though? He could be at a top club in one of the big leagues. Southgate is more Bournemouth or Watford.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
This Italy team is scary good. Extremely efficient and work like men possessed off the ball.

If they had home advantage for the whole tournament I think they would win it, remains to be seen could they do this in other countries which they will have too
I dunno, I think they play with great energy and spirit but there's a certain quality in the final third that's missing. I reckon the first quality team they play and that'll be it for them.

PoTMS

I get the feeling Italy are blowing their load early. I think they'll get beat in the first knockout round by Belgium.

Timdbro

They've got a better central midfield than us. We don't have a single one who can control a game.
Yeah our midfield options are pretty dire. Main thing that sticks out when you look at our squad.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I get the feeling Italy are blowing their load early. I think they'll get beat in the first knockout round by Belgium.
They haven't conceded a goal in about 950 minutes and haven't lost a game in ages... They're genuinely a very good team since Mancini took over. Makes a huge difference when an actual good club manager takes over a country, like when LvG had Netherlands in 3rd place in 2014.

NoPace

The one fear I would have with Italy is their CBs look like they can be bullied/outrun in big spaces on the counter. But that's not a huge worry for the round of 16 unless Belgium is the runner up there and they have to deal with Lukaku on the break or Martinez is wild enough to throw Doku and Lukaku up top and see if they can terrorize Italy on the break when Spinazzola goes forward in particular.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Swiss really should just put Mbabu on the left, no right foot at all but not really his fault.

Do Italy have any knock out games in Rome, going to be very tough to beat at Olimpico.

hubbuh

They've got a better central midfield than us. We don't have a single one who can control a game.
Mount, Rice and Kalvin Phillips is good but yeah, no real controllers there. I worry about the damage Italy's fullbacks could to our defence, but our attack ought to be a devastating if it clicks. Luke Shaw and Grealish should 100% make up the left-side, though. Trippier is surely not an option when the knockout rounds come around.

TheRedHearted

I dunno, I think they play with great energy and spirit but there's a certain quality in the final third that's missing. I reckon the first quality team they play and that'll be it for them.
I feel as if they haven’t practiced what to do when on a break. About three or four times the runners stay stagnant and the left sided attacker just doesn’t pass it into space

hubbuh

The one fear I would have with Italy is their CBs look like they can be bullied/outrun in big spaces on the counter. But that's not a huge worry for the round of 16 unless Belgium is the runner up there and they have to deal with Lukaku on the break or Martinez is wild enough to throw Doku and Lukaku up top and see if they can terrorize Italy on the break when Spinazzola goes forward in particular.
Surely Belgium and Italy will both top their groups, though?

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah our midfield options are pretty dire. Main thing that sticks out when you look at our squad.
We saw it against Croatia we had no one to take pressure off the team in the midfield by getting a foot on the ball
Stark contrast to Italy with jorginho and locatelli controlling games surrounded by relentless runners in front who win the ball back quickly. Not to mention their best cm verrati isn't even playing yet. A good midfield builds a platform. We have options up top and down the side. Not so much in the middle and at cb.

NoPace

Has any other national team in the world got a manager as good as Mancini, though? He could be at a top club in one of the big leagues. Southgate is more Bournemouth or Watford.
Deschamps should get a big job, made the CL final with Monaco. I don't like his style or choices much, but he's had a strong managerial career. Nobody else really stands out, even though Enrique had great success at Barca.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Quality might be enough to compete but Immobile and Insigne are just dumb as footballers… so many wtf, lateral or unorthodox movements that lead to wasted chances. On the contrary, Berardi is even too direct and vertical. I really think Chiesa and Belotti will be badly needed in the knock out stage.

KC91

Swiss played better the last few minutes, but Italy has controlled the flow.

That pass by Locatelli was something else.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Mount, Rice and Kalvin Phillips is good but yeah, no real controllers there. I worry about the damage Italy's fullbacks could to our defence, but our attack ought to be a devastating if it clicks. Luke Shaw and Grealish should 100% make up the left-side, though. Trippier is surely not an option when the knockout rounds come around.
Mounts not a cm.
Rice sits in front of the back 4 is a decent passer at best. And Phillips is a pressing player once again with decent passing at best.
I don't even know why tripper was an option in the first place for lb
Full back is one of our strengths
Two good lbs in form and he played neither. Not to mention walker was horrible the other side.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I got criticised for saying England lacked capable players in the centre of midfield, especially in comparison to the top sides.

*shakes fist at screen* Damn you all ! damn you to hell !!

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Locatelli casually putting in a 0/10 performance here.

Haha

stu_1992

I'm seriously impressed by what I've seen of Italy so far tonight. Was not expecting it from them. I know they had a comfortable scoreline in their first game, but I missed it so couldn't really comment. But I really enjoyed that first half. I'm surprised at how good they are going forward.

InfiniteBoredom

They haven't conceded a goal in about 950 minutes and haven't lost a game in ages... They're genuinely a very good team since Mancini took over. Makes a huge difference when an actual good club manager takes over a country, like when LvG had Netherlands in 3rd place in 2014.
Capello?

Granted, it worked out more often than not with your Hitzfeld, Lippi, del Bosque, Hiddink, but then last two WC were won by Loew/Deschamps and last Euro by Fernando Santos, so not exactly foolproof.

They are probably due a good tournament though.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Wasn't convinced with Belgium the other night yet they have Lukaku. Give him chances and he'll take them.

bosskeano

Italy were very good in the first half and i'm honestly surprised by the style of football they are playing as it isn't like a typical Italian team. Manchini has them playing quick passing football with great interplay and interchanging of positions.

Their pressing against the 3412 of the Swiss has been brilliant and very organized to the point that the Swiss are having a very difficult time even building any slight bit of possession.

hubbuh

Mounts not a cm.
Rice sits in front of the back 4 is a decent passer at best. And Phillips is a pressing player once again with decent passing at best.
I don't even know why tripper was an option in the first place for lb
Full back is one of our strengths
Two good lbs in form and he played neither. Not to mention walker was horrible the other side.
He'll be in a midfield three, though, and he'll be tasked with harrying the likes of Barella and Jorginho and finding space in behind them (in the event that we come up against Italy, obviously). Phillips would press but also be expected to hold his position and be disciplined, Walker will need a hand keeping a lid on Spinazzola.

redshaw

England have some good individuals but I don't think as a team we can work as a hard and pass as well the other big nations. Will be interesting to see how well we can cope. Reminiscent of United at club level looking on at a higher level of professionalism. Luckily some nations do seem a bit lacking upfront.