Day 6: Wales vs Iran | Qatar vs Senegal | Netherlands vs Ecuador | England vs USA

Gordon S

Rice and Bellingham could probably be a cb pairing. Big and strong, good defensively, keeps it simple.. Not much creativity and penetrating forward passes, even if Bellingham is quite good when he joins in attack. What are the options? Henderson and Phillips? Not much creativity there either

marktan

I think the biggest mistake is playing Kane when he has a knock. We have the ability to rotate - we should do it. Unlike the Americans a lot of our players are coming off of playing 3 games a week

CloneMC16

Do any non-Chelsea fans rate Mount? He's absolute bobbins.
I don't see it with him at all. I don't think I've ever seen him perform for England. He must offer something, because his managers always pick him, but I don't see it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd toss Maddison on for Mount, rashford on for sterling and try to get something going on the left side. Overly reliant on Shaw

George The Best

Southgate won't change anything until the 60th minute at the earliest. Even Wales realised they were getting battered and changed it up at HT.
He’s got to - this is dire. Can’t see USA running out of gas, as they did against Wales, as we’ve not made them work hard enough.

the_cliff

Foden needs to come on. Someone needs to tell Kane there's no need for him to drop deep ffs.

Djemba-Djemba

Sterling was jogging that entire first half.

I'd be tempted to sub him off just to make a point to the others. You can have a bad game, but you need to be working harder than that.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
90% of these World Cup games have been boring to me. Only France and Spain have really impressed.

the_cliff

He’s got to - this is dire. Can’t see USA running out of gas, as they did against Wales, as we’ve not made them work hard enough.
Agreed, USA look like they're chilling, they aren't playing with that crazy high intensity like they did against Wales, there's no way they'll tire.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
feck me, if there was ever a half of football I thought people would give him a break, it was this.
Alas no, tis all his fault again.
Really. And the criticism is unfair, he had two good splitting passes wasted by the forwards. Even the Portuguese commentators are praising him and they are very harsh towards Maguire at club level.

I've put a bet on Maguire scoring with his huge slabhead

cyberman

Rice and Bellingham could probably be a cb pairing. Big and strong, good defensively, keeps it simple.. Not much creativity and penetrating forward passes, even if Bellingham is quite good when he joins in attack. What are the options? Henderson and Phillips? Not much creativity there either
Rice tends to drop too deep when the opposition exert pressure through the middle. He’s playing today as if he’s playing France and has to watch for Mbappe etc in behind him. He’s gotten into that bad habit for West Ham over the last 12 months as well

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
To me this looks like two teams that are similar enough in terms of physicality, tactical schooling and general player types. England is slightly ahead individually on a technical level but switch the shirts around and I'm not sure anyone could really tell the difference. Usually two teams cancel each other out when this happens. It reminds me of England - Sweden, two other teams with similar characteristics that seemed to always draw for a good while.

(And looking into it seems like my gut feeling was correct, from 1979 - 2012 they drew 8 times, Sweden won by 1 goal 4 times and England won by 1 goal 2 times.)

Sylar

Wouldnt be surprised if Southgates first sub is Henderson for saka

the_cliff

Foden and Maddison.

Amarsdd

Rice and Bellingham should be doing a lot more to get the ball off the CBs or at least some movement to provide passing lanes for the CBs. The tactics from US has been quite clear out of possession, i.e. let the CBs have the ball all they want.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So the quarters will be England Holland which will end 0-0 after which we both miss all penalties until both teams just give up and fly home?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Grealish would be a good option I think. Someone to hang onto the ball and a bit of dribbling.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
feck me, if there was ever a half of football I thought people would give him a break, it was this.
Alas no, tis all his fault again.
could score a hat trick and clear 2 off the line and it still wouldn’t be good enough for people on here

Gazza

This Beckham/Manning ad is boring -- ohh it's called soccer in the US and football in other places, let's make a 2 minute commercial for Lays chips based on that premise

the_cliff

Rice and Bellingham should be doing a lot more to get the ball off the CBs or at least some movement to provide passing lanes for the CBs. The tactics from US has been quite clear out of possession, i.e. let the CBs have the ball all they want.
Rice is playing on the defensive line, he's basically dropping into a 3 at the back when in possession it's mind boggling. So easy to cut off the passing lanes in the middle.