Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Idiotic post gets idiotic comparison, sadly all your posts get idiotic replies.
Nope your post was idiotic all on it's own.

Are you competing with the other guy to see who comes up with most stupid post?
Doesn't look like he is competing with you.

If you think "best CB" and "most talented ... when fit .. on a good hairday.. potentially in 12 years" is the same thing then it's probably you who needs help.

I liked his qualities when he arrived and he may yet fulfill his potential but based on quality of performances (the main criteria) he's nowhere near as our best CB.
Bolded is nonsense and proves who actually could do with help.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Thought this died with LVG?
Lot of reports that we are looking for one. At least there were lot of reports, maybe they all reported when Ole and Ake's video went viral.

Mark Pawelek

Theres no way. We would never sell that many from the squad in one summer. If we make £60 million in sales this summer I’d be shocked.

Romero - 33 and injury prone. Hasn’t been first choice for years. Anywhere from free to £5 million.

Dalot - signed for £19 million, and probably worth less now given how little he’s played and his injury record.

Rojo - free due to wages and injury record.

Jones - free due to injury record and wages.

Smalling - sounds like we’re holding out for £20 million. Italian clubs don’t seem to be willing to pay it.

Lingard and Andreas - both would struggle to assert themselves at prem clubs. Lingard probably the better player but on a bigger wage, but id say £15 million each would be decent.
Romero = not injury prone. Is actually wanted by a few clubs due to great shutout records over the years with us. £2m to £4m.
Dalot - £10m to £12m. Possible loan with option to buy
Jones - loan with option to buy
Rojo - likely free or low fee (£2m to £4m)
Smalling - Looks more like we want a total of £23m, but I guess we accept less if cash now.
Lingard and Andreas. £12m each. Possible loans with option to buy

About £65m total in this market but very few of them will be bought outright now. Clubs have no money. They will offer to take most of them on loan. Perhaps we can raise ready cash for 1 or 2: Smalling and Romero.

Superunknown

Regarding Bailly: it's difficult to make a proper judgement on him due to his injury record being rubbish. He seems to pick up injuries and niggles ridiculously easily, which is not what you want from a centre back. Imo, your centre backs (actually, no, your entire back five) should rarely be changing since you want them to develop some sort of understanding with each other. You want them to instinctively know where each other are so that they can drop back together, push up together, know who is marking who on set pieces, know who has who covered on crosses, etc. There needs to be an almost-telepathic type of link between them.

Whichever defender comes in next needs to have an exemplary injury record, imo. Need to be available for near enough every game. We have to stop chopping and changing every week based on who is injured and who isn't. Form is a bit different, however. I was one of those who was happy that we had Maguire and Lindelöf playing together most weeks, for the simple fact that we've given them both a go and given that partnership a chance of being fruitful. If it doesn't work out in the long-term, at least we can confidently say that it's been tested and it has or hasn't worked.

I'm not willing to give the Bailly experiment another try. He's had four years at the club, which is plenty of time to establish himself. He hasn't done so. Needs to be moved on and somebody else needs to be brought in to have their chance. If we keep Bailly for another year, we will be in the exact same position as we are now, only with him being a year older. It's about time this club were more ruthless, as top clubs should be.

Strelok

Lot of reports that we are looking for one. At least there were lot of reports, maybe they all reported when Ole and Ake's video went viral.
Hope this is not true. Finding a good CB is already difficult and expensive enough these days. Now you add the left footed thing and ...

roonster09

Scout
Regarding Bailly: it's difficult to make a proper judgement on him due to his injury record being rubbish. He seems to pick up injuries and niggles ridiculously easily, which is not what you want from a centre back. Imo, your centre backs (actually, no, your entire back five) should rarely be changing since you want them to develop some sort of understanding with each other. You want them to instinctively know where each other are so that they can drop back together, push up together, know who is marking who on set pieces, know who has who covered on crosses, etc. There needs to be an almost-telepathic type of link between them.

Whichever defender comes in next needs to have an exemplary injury record, imo. Need to be available for near enough every game. We have to stop chopping and changing every week based on who is injured and who isn't. Form is a bit different, however. I was one of those who was happy that we had Maguire and Lindelöf playing together most weeks, for the simple fact that we've given them both a go and given that partnership a chance of being fruitful. If it doesn't work out in the long-term, at least we can confidently say that it's been tested and it has or hasn't worked.

I'm not willing to give the Bailly experiment another try. He's had four years at the club, which is plenty of time to establish himself. He hasn't done so. Needs to be moved on and somebody else needs to be brought in to have their chance. If we keep Bailly for another year, we will be in the exact same position as we are now, only with him being a year older. It's about time this club were more ruthless, as top clubs should be.
Yeah, we have Lindelof and Maguire who have good injury records but we need someone better. Bailly has all the attributes to be very good CB but he does something very stupid and then in the next moment he does something that you expect from elite CBs like awesome composure in the box or covering the space behind the defense line so quickly.

If he can stay fit then it will give him a good chance to show what he is capable of but he makes Jones look like ridiculously fit player.

Tony247

Why suddenly Upamecano and united trending everywhere? Is there any credible news? Am I missing something?

Strelok

Yeah, we have Lindelof and Maguire who have good injury records but we need someone better. Bailly has all the attributes to be very good CB but he does something very stupid and then in the next moment he does something that you expect from elite CBs like awesome composure in the box or covering the space behind the defense line so quickly.

If he can stay fit then it will give him a good chance to show what he is capable of but he makes Jones look like ridiculously fit player.
Yeah technically and physically he is one of the best around I think. However imo he's too erratic and play to his instincts too much. And he's injured most of the time.

Theoretically imo he should be the best one to pair with Maguire. A good pair should have one is good with his brain to provide cover and another is aggressive and fast. Maguire and Lindelof are too similar, the brain type.

Superunknown

I agree that we need to be looking at upgrading on them. There are moments where I see that partnership working, but we need to continue to see what other talents are out there who could challenge for those spots. At the moment, we should consider Lindelöf and Maguire as the default pairing, which is something. It's then a case of improving on that.

Yes, Bailly does have his moments. But, like you've just said, he's inconsistent and unfit. That can't be what we need going forward. It's such an important position and we can't waste another year on waiting for him to come good, especially not when the other end of the pitch is starting to take shape, with a pretty tasty looking midfield and an exciting forward line. We can't upset that balance by having average or below average or decent but unfit players at the back.

Imo, there's a strong case for all of the back four's positions being up for grabs. We are certain that Fernandes should be starting with Pogba, plus Martial and Rashford. I can't say the same for any of the back four, besides Maguire. I'm more than happy for the club to bring in fresh talent to displace any of our defenders.

Irrational.

If we sell 7: Romero, Dalot, Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Lingard and Andreas; we may be able to get as much as £90m for them. But in a slow transfer season like the present it may mostly come down to loans with buy clauses. 3 of those contracts end next summer: Romero, Rojo and Lingard. Those 3 must be sold at a discount now.
The only way we get £90 million for that motley crew of players is if we sell them as a job lot to Steve Bruce at Newcastle.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think if Bailly went out on loan and managed to stay fit he’d eventually fetch a very good price. For us If he ironed out a few of the kinks in his game he could be a starter but he’s currently too unpredictable for a united defender. Apart from injuries it all seems to be mental with him as he’s got some skill and is physically blessed and very aggressive, on paper it should work!

Tony247

What I am suspecting is that if player like Upamecano was available then chelsea would have snapped him or at least 2-3 good clubs would be competing by now. I can't believe united are the only one in race! Hence skeptical about credibility of the news.

roonster09

Scout
Yeah technically and physically he is one of the best around I think. However imo he's too erratic and play to his instincts too much. And he's injured most of the time.

Theoretically imo he should be the best one to pair with Maguire. A good pair should have one is good with his brain to provide cover and another is aggressive and fast. Maguire and Lindelof are too similar, the brain type.
I agree that we need to be looking at upgrading on them. There are moments where I see that partnership working, but we need to continue to see what other talents are out there who could challenge for those spots. At the moment, we should consider Lindelöf and Maguire as the default pairing, which is something. It's then a case of improving on that.

Yes, Bailly does have his moments. But, like you've just said, he's inconsistent and unfit. That can't be what we need going forward. It's such an important position and we can't waste another year on waiting for him to come good, especially not when the other end of the pitch is starting to take shape, with a pretty tasty looking midfield and an exciting forward line. We can't upset that balance by having average or below average or decent but unfit players at the back.

Imo, there's a strong case for all of the back four's positions being up for grabs. We are certain that Fernandes should be starting with Pogba, plus Martial and Rashford. I can't say the same for any of the back four, besides Maguire. I'm more than happy for the club to bring in fresh talent to displace any of our defenders.
He is just not fit to get extended run of games to show what he is capable of. Also saying that we can't wait for the player forever. We need to move on and sign the best players we can.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What I am suspecting is that if player like Upamecano was available then chelsea would have snapped him or at least 2-3 good clubs would be competing by now. I can't believe united are the only one in race! Hence skeptical about credibility of the news.
He had a release clause and openly said he wanted to leave and no one triggered it... you’re logic not quite making sense there. Cheslea knew about the clause and didnt trigger it as Rice is their no1 target

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
L’Équipe is usually not a joke when it comes to news source on French players... did something changed ?

Tony247

Things hotting up or just rubbish?
Rubbish I guess. I think chelsea has done a waiting game till next year by not signing any permanent CB. Silva is a stop gap solution. Next year Upamecano release clause will be active and then everyone will pounce.

Tony247

He had a release clause and openly said he wanted to leave and no one triggered it... you’re logic not quite making sense there. Cheslea knew about the clause and didnt trigger it as Rice is their no1 target
What I read is that his release clause becomes active only until next year. Is that not correct?

automaticflare

He is just not fit to get extended run of games to show what he is capable of. Also saying that we can't wait for the player forever. We need to move on and sign the best players we can.

Dead right. If you're not fit you can't be rated as top quality, or better than who is playing.
Bailly and Jones are in that bucket and should be moved on along with Smalling who had enough chances and is not good enough and Rojo who is also just not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.