De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1tch

There's nothing unusual about Dave's interview, the unusual thing is why the club went public about starting contract negotiations.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
:lol:

Welcome David
This is the first time since the whole saga developed that your team is declining and ours is progressing. Granted, you are still far ahead..

I think he'll stay.

Morpheus 7

There's nothing unusual about Dave's interview, the unusual thing is why the club went public about starting contract negotiations.
Yeah I agree, the club rarely discuss a new contract. I think people are a bit stressed because of Sanchez. In one week we have heard Jose about to renew, then Sanchez and Dave being offered anything to basically to stay. The place is tense, looks like we are progressing and stability is coming and people are nervous. To good to be true and all.

InfiniteBoredom

This random thought also just popped into my head.

How many high profile players sign a lengthy contract extension/move club before a WC's summer?

From Dave's perspective, if he goes and have a disappointing WC, the same offer Utd are making him will still be there. If he plays a blinder and Spain go far in the tournament, his stock will skyrocket even more, maybe forcing Madrid to enter the fray again, thus granting him a much stronger negotiating position.

From both professional and financial pov, there's no upside for him to commit himself right now.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
This is the first time since the whole saga developed that your team is declining and ours is progressing. Granted, you are still far ahead..

I think he'll stay.
Yeah, he'll stay probably. We better try to replace those 3 expensive sacks of shit we have in attack instead anyway.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Yeah, he'll stay probably. We better try to replace those 3 expensive sacks of shit we have in attack instead anyway.
:lol: who you referring to? Benzema, Ronaldo, Bale?

N91

If he wants to leave, then we should sell him. For a player who has expressed his desire to leave on more than one occasion, I don't expect him to stay for a long time even if he signs a new contract.

Gianluigi Donnarumma would be a good replacement, he has a €50m buy-out clause if AC Milan don’t qualify for the Champions League.

Last edited:

RAVred

I think he'll sign an extension, especially with Madrid probably looking to splurge big in the summer on attacking talent instead. He's probably waiting to see how well we go in the UCL and in general our season, which is fair enough. He's dedicated and saved us for many years, we would honestly be dropped down a peg if we were to lose him and would need an Oblak tier keeper to replace him to maintain our current results. He saves us numerous times in even games that should be easily winnable (e.g. Stokes, Bournemouths, etc.).

To me, he's pretty much at least 50% responsible for the 'best defence' tag we have, people that think Romero is adequate replacement for him are ludicrous.

If not Oblak, I would want Donnarrumma or Pickford. When he eventually does leave/retire, I hope either J Perreira is good enough or we sign one of those two young guns, they are going to be absolutely phenomenal at this rate.

Antonedwin

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Would have to agree with others that Real still trying to get him seems unlikely nor does it seem like a smart move on his part. The GK position is probably Real s smallest concern at this point - wouldn't be surprised to see them buy a promising youth player for that position instead. I also can't see Dave being interested in a club like PSG. If anything the Bundesliga seems like a better option if at some point he d like to finish out his career elsewhere. Appears to me only in the PL and Bundesliga are goalies truly revered in some cases... Serie A perhaps as well I guess.

Last edited:

Red Star One

I think he'll sign an extension, especially with Madrid probably looking to splurge big in the summer on attacking talent instead. He's probably waiting to see how well we go in the UCL and in general our season, which is fair enough. He's dedicated and saved us for many years, we would honestly be dropped down a peg if we were to lose him and would need an Oblak tier keeper to replace him to maintain our current results. He saves us numerous times in even games that should be easily winnable (e.g. Stokes, Bournemouths, etc.).

To me, he's pretty much at least 50% responsible for the 'best defence' tag we have, people that think Romero is adequate replacement for him are ludicrous.

If not Oblak, I would want Donnarrumma or Pickford. When he eventually does leave/retire, I hope either J Perreira is good enough or we sign one of those two young guns, they are going to be absolutely phenomenal at this rate.
First two paragraphs I agree 100% and lately I'm happy to see Dave is getting the well deserved credit on the Cafe. He's the undisputed best/top2 goalkeeper in the world for quite a time now and fair enough if he knows his status. I'd absolutely love to see him staying with us for the rest of his career and I'm delighted that back in time we had bought him.

Hard to think of any replacements. There's not a single goalkeeper that would not worsen our defence, if played instead of de Gea. Pickford sounds dramatic to me, although I rate him.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
I am not a big fan of having a GK or striker as the captain, but, I think De Gea can be made the club captain.
He has been here long enough and he is quite vocal on the pitch.

muffinman

I am not a big fan of having a GK or striker as the captain, but, I think De Gea can be made the club captain.
He has been here long enough and he is quite vocal on the pitch.
Here here, Dave deserves to wear the armband after all he's done for us.

Greck

Have noticed an increasing trend in the club going public with this. This is the second time this season 'DeGea is expected to sign in the coming days'. Heck this is even the 2nd time this season Mourinho is expected to sign in the coming days. Then everything goes quiet and we don't get an announcement or hear about it for another few months

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Sign it in the summer if you want Dave. It's all good. Hope to have him with us for long long time. Best keeper in the world.

meamth

We are no Arsenal, expect him to sign after World Cup or sell him to gain maximum profit.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Didn't he say he wanted to be a club legend? Don't think leaving any time soon will give him that moniker... He'll sign a contract extension once the season is over.

ovoxo

I don’t understand how this comes across as leaving? I think his time for Madrid is over. He’ll stay here for the foreseeable future. He’ll go down as a United legend. Perhaps the best ever in terms of goalkeeping.

Red00012

I don’t understand how this comes across as leaving? I think his time for Madrid is over. He’ll stay here for the foreseeable future. He’ll go down as a United legend. Perhaps the best ever in terms of goalkeeping.
I hope it doesn’t drag out but it will prob will until end of the season and then the World Cup so expect a summer of transfer rumours doing the rounds .

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Negotiation tactic. Nothing to see here. He's almost got too good to the point he's unaffordable for most clubs.

SirAF

Ageist
I hope it doesn’t drag out but it will prob will until end of the season and then the World Cup so expect a summer of transfer rumours doing the rounds .
That won't happen. He's got a +1 clause in his contract that Mourinho has confirmed the club will activate. He's tied to the club until 2020.

I'm not starting to feel iffy until we are in the spring of 2019 and no contract has been agreed.

Natener

What's wrong with Dave's interview? The negotiation is done with his representatives anyway. He is just concentrating on football til the season is done before he looks at the new contract.

Norris

Link to what he said ? I am sure it must be out of context or misinterpreted. How can a guy that stayed absolutely quiet through the whole Madrid debacle say something that offends fans.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Starting to wonder if all that courtouis transfer talk is just a RM tactic to put pressure on DDG . May be they only want DDG to replace Navas.

Todd

That'd be one of the worst deals of all time.
If De Gea truly wanted/wants to stay at United for the next decade, I agree with you.

If he wants to go to Madrid, though...I'll take Ronaldo for 3 seasons in exchange.

The difference between De Gea and Romero is smaller than the difference between Cristiano and any of our other attacking players. And attacking players are more valuable than goalkeepers.

Mindhunter

If De Gea truly wanted/wants to stay at United for the next decade, I agree with you.

If he wants to go to Madrid, though...I'll take Ronaldo for 3 seasons in exchange.

The difference between De Gea and Romero is smaller than the difference between Cristiano and any of our other attacking players. And attacking players are more valuable than goalkeepers.
:lol:

vangagal

Cristiano wants to come back, Big Dave doesn't want to be at United...player swap.
Ty level of delusion. What have Cristiano feed United fans these years make them still want him back with open arms and still please if De Gea go the other side?

Todd

not sure if serious.
Which one of my statements do you have a problem with?

Do you disagree that Romero did well when he played last season?

Do you feel that De Gea is regularly called to action to make saves that could only be made by one man on the planet, him?

Mindhunter

Romero has done very well when given the chance.

How often is De Gea forced into making a save that you'd say requires ability that Romero doesn't possess?
That’s the job of being a backup keeper. Being the first keeper for a top team in the PL is a different ball game. You only need to see as far as Liverpool, City and Arsenal to know that.

Given where the market is going, you will never be able to get a gk of his caliber anywhere else. Especially not for an out of form 33 year old player who is stretching thin his productive years in the game. One serious injury could be the end of Ronaldo in the PL.

If we are forced to sell him, I would rather bank the money and get a hungrier player who is still to achieve things and not a 33 year old multiple Balon d or winner whose only motivation would be to earn a last fat pay check.

clarkydaz

Which one of my statements do you have a problem with?

Do you disagree that Romero did well when he played last season?

Do you feel that De Gea is regularly called to action to make saves that could only be made by one man on the planet, him?
I couldn't imagine the amount of points DeGea has saved us since Ferguson left. Only recently the Arsenal away game they should have stuck 5 past us if not for DeGea putting in another incredible display

Yes Romero done well in the Europa league, as did Mikitarian playing against teams a level below. In his first season here when LVG was playing Romero in league games he was prone to errors

Status
Not open for further replies.