Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I’m not going to fault Henderson for going out with his knee, but that’s no longer standard technique when you go out to punch the ball clear. His coaches will work with him on that.

I also winced when he came out very wide left for the clearance into touch. Far too risky in face of far too little of an immediate threat.
How should he have gone to punch the ball while also protecting himself? That's a genuine question btw, goalkeeper technique is vaguely interesting.

Sylar

How do you know if he shouted or not? You don’t.

Going knee first is elementary keeping, you obviously know very little about keeping to even say something so stupid. He’s there to win the ball and protect himself.

The Watford player’s waist is over Bailly’s head. Quite easily 3 foot higher than him.

Bailly wasn’t perfectly capable of challenging, if he was he’d have been off the ground but instead he was caught out and had no chance of winning it. Exactly why you have a keeper behind you to deal with that.

Bailly was never winning a foul, he wasn’t even attempting to challenge in the air.

Henderson quite clearly couldn’t leave it as Bailly was nowhere near to getting off the ground to challenge for it.

Bailly was caught under the ball and had no chance of winning it. Henderson saved us from conceding with good awareness to the threat.
Hmm I'm in agreement with you. He basically did the whole 'wipe everyone and everything out' to ensure he gets to the ball first and there's no free header

Unless something has changed in terms of coaching recently (which I'll admit I'm not aware of) that's how I would have gone, basically protecting yourself and not compromising the reach

He did well over all. A good game and clean sheet and was proactive. Also claimed a free kick or two to take the pressure of the dedence late

Sylar

I’m not going to fault Henderson for going out with his knee, but that’s no longer standard technique when you go out to punch the ball clear. His coaches will work with him on that.

I also winced when he came out very wide left for the clearance into touch. Far too risky in face of far too little of an immediate threat.
Interesting and a follow up to my previous post

What is the technique now?

Was he this bad at Sheffield United? I didn't watch them every game but he looked better than this. At the moment he's nowhere near De Gea.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Was he this bad at Sheffield United? I didn't watch them every game but he looked better than this. At the moment he's nowhere near De Gea.
He clearly wasn’t “bad”.

He does seem over eager to impress. Obviously been watching United games over the last few years and trying to prove he can do what De Gea can’t /won’t do i.e. be a dominant physical presence, inside and outside his box.

He just needs to calm down a bit and stop trying so hard. Because he’s bordering on reckless. In terms of doing the De Gea stuff (stopping shots) he did nothing wrong last night. Decent save in the first half.

arthurka

Watch the video not the still image and you’ll see no shout from Henderson or better yet hear no shout. Not hard to hear with no crowds.

Have you done your badges? If not then I wouldn’t try and go down the coaching route with me.

Knee first is not elementary keeping to protect yourself the protection comes from the landing preparations and if you’d ever actually coached a day in your life you’d know that keepers are instructed to be aware of how to effectively and safely contest aerials Henderson did not do this and actually put all three players at risk of serious injury.

Look at the video and build up of events Bailly is fouled by the jumping player and ducks to get out of the way of the incoming
Henderson and the player fouling him Henderson comes flying in knee first into Bailly. The picture does not tell you how this event occurred so let’s not cherry pick and do some proper analysis. But again with no experience of coaching yourself I don’t expect you to view it as a coach does in full context.

The United staff will absolutely mention this to Henderson in post match analysis as something to work on if you don’t think they will it tells me everything I need to know.

Henderson could have achieved the same thing and not endangered Bailly by coming out differently or staying put.
Watch the game on a German channel and I can tell you that the Germans actually presided him yesterday. This instance was one of those where they praised him. He did nothing wrong there and one of the keepers who gets presided for coming out is Neuer, he has flattened many players by this technique.

Henderson did absolutely nothing wrong yesterday and showed us what we have been missing for some time now.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
What did he do that was bad yesterday?

Carl

Also absolutely bizarre (but not surprising of this place) to see him getting pelters for Bailly's knock. Was unlucky that Bailly got hurt, plain and simple. Was good goalkeeping on Henerdson's part too, coming to deal with a ball into the box like that. Got great distance on the punch too.

Carl

His knee isn't even particularly high. Its certainly not at a natural head height, given how much Bailly is crouching.

I'd love to know how many of those criticising Henderson have ever criticised DeGea for never coming from his line to deal with balls like that.

Carl

This did make me laugh though :lol:

He clearly wasn’t “bad”.

He does seem over eager to impress. Obviously been watching United games over the last few years and trying to prove he can do what De Gea can’t /won’t do i.e. be a dominant physical presence, inside and outside his box.

He just needs to calm down a bit and stop trying so hard. Because he’s bordering on reckless. In terms of doing the De Gea stuff (stopping shots) he did nothing wrong last night. Decent save in the first half.
I mean in general so far. He's looked reckless/over eager to impress/whatever and last night only served to reinforce it, in particular his charging out when he shouldn't. I'm looking at a keeper who wanted to come back here to challenge for De Gea's spot and he's currently as far away from it as ever.

tomaldinho1

I’ve no idea where this idea that goalies aren’t allowed to jump with raised knees any more comes from. Can someone explain the alternative? Because to me that would seem to involve a stupidly high risk of getting flipped and landing on your head.
Perfect example of someone on the internet saying something that isn’t true and people thinking it could be. It’s literally still taught to come out and protect yourself by raising your leg - just do a quick google and watch some training videos/other keepers, it’s also natural to jump off one leg and so the other knee naturally raises.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I mean in general so far. He's looked reckless/over eager to impress/whatever and last night only served to reinforce it, in particular his charging out when he shouldn't. I'm looking at a keeper who wanted to come back here to challenge for De Gea's spot and he's currently as far away from it as ever.
Oh right. Well he definitely didn’t look this over eager when I watched him last season. I only watched a few games though.

sillwuka

He hasn't filled me with the same confidence Romero used to give me.

Good to see Ole played him in the semi and the cups so far though.

Carl

Oh right. Well he definitely didn’t look this over eager when I watched him last season. I only watched a few games though.
Hopefully he'll settle down with time and experience. That massive feck up on his debut (was it his debut? Maybe league debut..?) won't have helped the nerves.

Carl

He hasn't filled me with the same confidence Romero used to give me.

Good to see Ole played him in the semi and the cups so far though.
Aye. He'll benefit from us dropping down to Europa too.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
It's clear he is trying extra hard to take over from DDG and that's making him a little more rash than he was last season. I actually think it'll be about 18 months before a decision gets made on the 2 of them so there is plenty of time yet for him to build up, if he's prepared to wait that long.

sillwuka

Aye. He'll benefit from us dropping down to Europa too.
He can share the games with David.

I think he may now be realising that there's a huge gulf between playing for Sheff Utd every week and being a squad player here, there's just more pressure.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He played well and it was refreshing to see a United keeper show some bravery again and not stay rooted to his line.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Clean sheet and he’s looking bad?

Christ

bsCallout

Weird how many think him coming to clear balls in his area is reckless. Some of us must have gotten too used to DDG not winning anything in the area.

Coops73

He played well and it was refreshing to see a United keeper show some bravery again and not stay rooted to his line.
Agreed, the way he came out to slide tackle Sarr and when he took out Bailey and the Watford player, while some might say it’s erratic, I think it’s decisive, he made the decisions and committed to them.

Oranges038

I’ve no idea where this idea that goalies aren’t allowed to jump with raised knees any more comes from. Can someone explain the alternative? Because to me that would seem to involve a stupidly high risk of getting flipped and landing on your head.
As a goalkeeper it's is almost impossible to jump out like that with your legs straight, leaves you open to getting hit and knocked off balance, and as you said possibly getting flipped over the top of the players. I know, it has happened to me on numerous occasions. The protector is a vital tool to be used when jumping. Not only does it offer you some leverage and balance, it also gives anyone who gets in your way a nice rattle and is good when clearing house.

I have no idea what people are moaning about. De Gea doesn't come for a ball and it's constantly commented that he should be coming through 3 or 4 players to. Henderson does it, comes, takes control and clears the ball and the moaning turns because he's flattened one of his defenders and put him out.

On the comments about his over eagerness to impress, I remember hearing this being discussed. The thing I remember was that uncertainty over the number 1 position means that the understudy Gk will be too eager to impress and will try to do too much which will lead to them making mistakes. Henderson didn't do anything wrong last night, he dealt with everything comfortably enough, people are just looking for stuff to have a moan about.

Kag

It’s quite clear that there are people who are desperate for him to fail: the direct result of wanting De Gea to remain #1 and therefore finding anything they can to further this narrative. It’s pathetic.

He’s been completely solid in recent matches and is a good goalkeeper. Last season, De Gea was practically throwing the ball into the net. The criticism he received was more than justified and he has been lucky to have been given the backing he has. He’s since gone on to a have a (generally) good season between the sticks. He and Ole have done well to facilitate this.

You can highlight De Gea’s improved form without having to go the extra mile to criticise Henderson. It’s transparent and unfair.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I see that he's learning to be this sweeper-keeper role, which make Neuer one of the current GOAT. It's risky, but I've always impressed with this kind of risky Gk. It's like playing with additional CB, and add more to the team.

Needs to grow
sorted for you.

ideally he would be bigger :D

so many in here wanted him to start ahead of DDG just because he wasn’t DDG.

Him coming back has clearly put pressure on DDG, and he’s playing better. The overall result is that our starting keeper is playing better than they have for the past 2 years.

whether Henderson is good enough, I don’t know. I haven’t seen anything outstanding in him yet. He came out and tackled the Watford player last night, and that’s the only thing I’ve seen that differentiates him from DDG, in every other way, the Spaniard is better.

that’s not to say he can’t/ won’t get there.

he’s doing fine, pleased with his performances generally - and importantly he came back from a horrendous error.

people at United have a lot of faith in him, and these guys see him every day.

Tomics

Seems like he is trying way too hard to impress.
Almost like he wants everyone to take note he made a particular save

ROFLUTION

I was after him against City, but credit where it's due - he was good and proactive yesterday. Commanded and showed leadership.

Also a bit tiredsome to hear that people like me apparently have an agenda to critizise him. Its so strange - people just want a great goalkeeper that's it.

JG3001

Seems people are desperate to get poppadom wrists back in the net. Whether Henderson is/will be good enough is a question for next season, but De Gea had gotten complacent and needed dropping for his own good.

Either we get a great replacement in Henderson or we push De Gea back to his best. At least Henderson actually comes for the ball on set pieces...

CM

He clearly wasn’t “bad”.

I think this is possibly the case. He seems desperate to make his mark but never looked in total control.

In the first half there were at least two or three occasions where that was the case. Perhaps he will settle down a bit when he's had a few more games in the team but I honestly felt uneasy watching him.

Carl

Seems people are desperate to get poppadom wrists back in the net. Whether Henderson is/will be good enough is a question for next season, but De Gea had gotten complacent and needed dropping for his own good.

Either we get a great replacement in Henderson or we push De Gea back to his best. At least Henderson actually comes for the ball on set pieces...
You just undermined your entire post with this childish nonsense.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The sample is very small, and very early days - but he doesn’t look that special to me.

He seems to be very confident though, which is very important. Time will tell if he can replace De Gea long term.

lRed

Growing games after games, not perfect yet so nice from Ole to not threw Deano n°1 keeper and sell de Gea straight away. I think it's a good call to take our time and do not burn Henderson's wings.

Made some saves, got off few times of his line, progress.

Foxbatt

People should understand that Defense is a team game. DeGea has been playing with these defenders for a very long time. Hendo is just starting. It takes time to get an understanding going.
It's obvious that he would try his hardest to impress. He is a young keeper. Eventually if he keeps playing he is going to get an understanding with his defenders.
Is he better than DeGea? At this moment in time, I don't think so. Can he become as good? I don't this he is going to be as good as a shot stopper as David. But he may well have other attributes that's better than DeGea.
As for taking about Bailly, I am happy we have a United keeper who's not afraid of coming out and taking care of a high ball even if he had to take out his own player.

Status
Not open for further replies.