Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Given how much more relaxed and competent the back line is with him in it, maybe the defenders should be having a little whisper to ole about not sticking calamity Dave right back in the team.

This. There was also a bit at 35/36 minutes in where someone played an incredible thru ball into the middle of the box. He came out and grabbed from in front of the City player. De Gea most likely would've shuffled backwards to his line and prepared to make a save.
More like running back to his line and getting into the foetal position in case the forwards gave him an owie

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I think you are doing VDS a massive disservice there. He was very organised, and had great positioning - but he was also a fantastic shot stopper and excellent with his feet.

what parts of his game do you think we’re just ordinary?

It’s an astonishing analysis to be be frank.
I thoroughly disagree.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He came out and claimed crosses and played a big part in us scoring the second goal with his long throw out to Luke Shaw. He extinguished the threat before it became a threat due to how proactive he was in comparison to the reactive nature of De Gea.

He should be #1 until proven otherwise IMO.
Pretty much this. He's cutting out dangerous plays before they can turn into danger, crucial to the way we play.

Heinzesight

Just a warm fuzzy feeling inside watching a ball being crossed into our box knowing we have a keeper who’ll at least come for it.

MiracleInMadrid

I think he should be given the #1 spot until the end of the season.
However, I heard that it may really affect De Gea's chances of being #1 for Spain at the European championships in the summer which would be unfortunate.
However, I think we have to give it to Dean.
On the other hand, it may really affect Henderson's chances of being Englands 31 at the Euros.. :cool:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I think he should be given the #1 spot until the end of the season.
However, I heard that it may really affect De Gea's chances of being #1 for Spain at the European championships in the summer which would be unfortunate.
However, I think we have to give it to Dean.
De Gea's chances were affected ages ago. Unai Simon has the shirt now.

I'm still not sure how good he is - palms too many shots into danger, not great with his feet, dodgy moments on crosses - but it IS noticeably different how much we gain from having a proactive keeper.

It might be Henderson, might not, but our next long-term number one has to be in this mould.

Foxbatt

We should credit him for the second goal. He took out the pressing of City when we scored the second goal.

On the other hand, it may really affect Henderson's chances of being Englands 31 at the Euros.. :cool:
true. With Pickford being very erratic, there’s a potential opportunity.

i think he can do better than 31 mind...

Unfortunately, from England’s perspective, I don’t think it matters how well he does, Pickford will almost certainty be no 1. Very little time to make that change, can’t see Southgate dropping Pickford. He’s barely given any other keeper a chance whilst he’s been really poor for a good 18 months.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's not as good a shot stopper as De Gea, which is why De Gea will continue to play over him. Kept a clean sheet but lucky that City couldn't finish their breakfast.

That said he is better than Dave at coming out, and at distributing the ball, so if that's what we prefer then he could very well be given the starting berth over time. Tricky one for Ole.
We concede more goals from set pieces or crosses than actual shots at goal, so to be honest shot stopping isn’t that important. What I’d say is Henderson’s strengths are more important now than perhaps slightly better reflexes.

if we really have the chance to let DDG go to PSG this summer as rumoured, we should take it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It's been ages since we had a keeper that can start attacks from a long throw! Nostalgic seeing that second goal.

Most importantly he never looked off it today. It's one thing playing for Sheffield United. It's another playing for Man Utd. Many more eyes, much more pressure and the media are treating it as his 'chance'. Never looked shaky. Very pleasing.

Could be totally wrong but it's starting to feel like our defence plays much better with him in goal.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Could be totally wrong but it's starting to feel like our defence plays much better with him in goal.
Exactly. Bailly was getting all the praise when he was playing in front of Henderson every game he started. Now Lindelof and Maguire are also looking far more assured than usual. I doubt this is a coincidence. Without crowd noise you can hear how vocal he is and how that contrasts to the game where he doesn’t play.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Commanding display albeit not really tested. Organised well, came off his line when he should and his distribution is obviously as good as anyone’s.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Exactly. Bailly was getting all the praise when he was playing in front of Henderson every game he started. Now Lindelof and Maguire are also looking far more assured than usual. I doubt this is a coincidence. Without crowd noise you can hear how vocal he is and how that contrasts to the game where he doesn’t play.
Couldn’t agree more.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I think Henderson is about to make an extended run as #1 as long as there’s no blunders. Not a coincidence Ole gave DDG time off without a specified return date. Up to Hendo to make the most of the opportunity. Could solidify his spot as England #1 too.

paulscholes18

Commands his box great, a couple off iffy kicks which on another day could cause us problems but on the whole had a good game, hopefully he can nail down the starting spot for the next decade.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He looked very confident with plucking the ball from crosses. Interesting to hear centre-halves were playing higher up the pitch which could signal having confidence in Henderson commanding the area. He did make a slight mistake with palming a shot out in the centre of the area which could have cost a goal.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Loved that throw for the 2nd goal. Great that he's getting a chance to stake his claim.

Foxbatt

He is going to make mistakes but I think he uses his brain a lot better too. That throw was one of them.

largelyworried

He's not as good a shot stopper as De Gea, which is why De Gea will continue to play over him. Kept a clean sheet but lucky that City couldn't finish their breakfast.

That said he is better than Dave at coming out, and at distributing the ball, so if that's what we prefer then he could very well be given the starting berth over time. Tricky one for Ole.
De Gea hasn’t been a good shot stopper for three seasons now. You can check the de gea thread for the stats, but he’s near the bottom of the pack when it comes to shot stopping this season, having been average for the previous two. Henderson outperformed him last season, and he’s doing better this season, albeit with limited game time. I think the idea that de gea is the better stopper isn’t really supportable.

Giggsy13

This run should leave no doubt that Henderson should be our number 1. PSG are sniffing around for De Gea and I would think Juve would be interested too.

Eugenius

This run should leave no doubt that Henderson should be our number 1. PSG are sniffing around for De Gea and I would think Juve would be interested too.
Should it? It could be a Tim Howard type situation again (good keeper, good start but head went as soon as he made a mistake).

Phil

Should it? It could be a Tim Howard type situation again (good keeper, good start but head went as soon as he made a mistake).
He's already made mistakes this season tbf.

I'm going to be so disappointed if Ole throws DDG straight back in

pacifictheme

Was good today. Just see how it goes. No point making sweeping statements like he has to carry on when ddg is back or whatever because he could have a howler next game.

I like how much he seems to want it though.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Was good today. Just see how it goes. No point making sweeping statements like he has to carry on when ddg is back or whatever because he could have a howler next game.

I like how much he seems to want it though.
I don’t get this though. De Gea has his moments of madness but isn’t dropped for them. Got to learn from mistakes.

Silverman

Its great how he is willing to come and claim the ball. Takes so much pressure off while defending set pieces.

Cloud7

The defense looked much more comfortable with him there. I hope by the end of De Gea’s time off Henderson has shown he should be starting over Dave. I don’t know if Henderson is the long term answer, but in the short term he’s definitely the answer when the other option is De Gea.

tomaldinho1

Point is...he commands everything else better so he doesnt need super shot stopping ability.
And it’s also that he just does basic stuff like coming for balls in his area. It’s not flashy but it just kills the attack and immediately wins us possession/a chance to counter. It’ll hardly make the highlight reel or even stick in our memories but makes a huge difference.

croadyman

Another pretty solid performance but did kick the ball straight to their attackers a couple of times, if he could maybe get 3/4 clean sheets out of these six games then surely he is making a case to Ole for keeping the shirt

Status
Not open for further replies.