Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Rob Green was talking about exactly this on MNF this week. Very astute observation.

Luckily, it's technical and can be fixed.
Doesn't even need to be fixed per se, apparently. Even timing it better would work:

spiriticon

While Henderson did indeed feck up today, people should stop living in the past with David de Gea.

He is not the same goalkeeper as you remembered from 5 years ago.

mu4c_20le

That's basic shit that shouldn't be happening with a professional keeper. Why would you have your hands behind your back? Not to mention he managed to somehow jump directly downwards
I really don't think it matters as much as that guy is making it out to be, but I think he uses his arms to help elevate his jump. It's his usual stance.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Propaganda will stop now. He's also subject to basic errors.

Just imagine if De Gea conceded that goal... Not good reflex by him

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I really don't think it matters as much as that guy is making it out to be, but I think he uses his arms to help elevate his jump. It's his usual stance.
It has to make a difference to reaction time. Surely a keeper can reach the bar without needing to elevate a jump so much he has to put his arms behind his back? Not to mention he didn't actually get any elevation. He went towards the floor

reddevil702

Bad goal to give away but he’s not all of a sudden a shit keeper. Dean has his strengths but De Gea is the better shot stopper. Dean is still the future but he's not ready to take over DDG spot. The way Ole has handled the GK spot has been spot on.

Apokalips

Anyone defending him here is simply taking the piss. That was shocking and it is alright to admit that, it doesn't mean he is garbage, but it is worrying if this is due to a mechanical quirk he naturally has.

czemuch

Propaganda will stop now. He's also subject to basic errors.

Just imagine if De Gea conceded that goal... Not good reflex by him
he coneded also a lot of easy goals, vs fx arsenal Xhaka and many more, last 3 years De gea was below average or sometimes one of the worst GKs in the league

Cecc07

Huge mistake. And he was lucky with the disallowed goal because this also was bad goalkeeping. De Gea would have saved both.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
While Henderson did indeed feck up today, people should stop living in the past with David de Gea.

He is not the same goalkeeper as you remembered from 5 years ago.
He is 30y old. Entering in best gk age now. Problem is that United fans are desperate for young players to succeed.
Williams after few games was "better than Shaw". Gomes was next big thing without playing one game for this club. Tuanzebe was best partner for Maguire without even playing one game with him. Then there was a time when Pereira was next big thing. And what to say about new Rio and Vida (Smalling and Jones).

I would be delighted if Hendo is better than DDG (because that would mean that we have one of the best gk in the world) but he just isn't that. He is good, in fact excellent no2 to have but he is not no1 United quality

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Why are we using De Gea's past two years as some kind of barometer? Henderson should be exceeding De Gea in ability to keep the ball out of the net in order to take his spot. Neither is good enough in my opinion.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
De Gea worshippers acting like he’s not been a liability for the last 2 seasons.

It’s a disappointing goal to concede, an error, it’s not something to drop him over. He’ll get a couple more of those at best, otherwise we look elsewhere once more. That’s the point, no one should be a guaranteed starter once it’s clear they can’t be trusted.
Completely agree. A former employer once told me "if you're going to f*ck up, f*ck up big, because it's the stupid little mistakes that drive me crazy"

For me, this was a big mistake and hopefully he learns from it. He tried to go "hollywood" on a routine two hand save. I haven't been calling for De Gea to be replaced because of his howlers. It's been the little mistakes that drive me crazy and I've made a couple in depth posts about it (poor positioning whether that's on shots or patrolling his box are the biggest things).

The main thing now is for Henderson to bounce back. He needs to come back strong. This is the moment that will make or break him. He can either hide back in his hole or step it up and move on.

spiriticon

He is 30y old. Entering in best gk age now. Problem is that United fans are desperate for young players to succeed.
Williams after few games was "better than Shaw". Gomes was next big thing without playing one game for this club. Tuanzebe was best partner for Maguire without even playing one game with him. Then there was a time when Pereira was next big thing. And what to say about new Rio and Vida (Smalling and Jones).

I would be delighted if Hendo is better than DDG (because that would mean that we have one of the best gk in the world) but he just isn't that. He is good, in fact excellent no2 to have but he is not no1 United quality
It would be for a normal keeper. But De Gea is not normal. he's steadily been getting worse for the last 4 years straight. He isn't the same as before at shot stopping, and he is as weak in the air as he was when he was 18.

He just isn't as good.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
DDG would have been crucified for both the disallowed goals too - for not getting out of the box for the offside one, and for not getting to the volley which wasn't perfectly in the corner. i think the 1st criticism is fair and the second is not.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
That was some terrible game (shot stopping-wise). 4 shots on target, only 1 saved. If those goals stand he's going way down on PSxG parameter.

I hold my judgment on him. Doesn't look particularly good at anything, decent I guess.
Looks kind of slow, but it's not reflexes, rather his moves are slow.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Why are we using De Gea's past two years as some kind of barometer? Henderson should be exceeding De Gea in ability to keep the ball out of the net in order to take his spot. Neither is good enough in my opinion.
Harsh but fair. Playing better than the De Gea of the last two seasons is a fecking low bar. If he isn’t clearing it comfortably then we need to look elsewhere.

It’s a tricky one because he’s still very young so you do wonder if another season out on loan is what’s needed. But then we’re stuck with more De Gea problems.

It’s like we’re cursed tbh. United seem to fecking constantly have problems in nets. Every couple of years we have issues. While other teams seem to be able to sort it out for several years at a time.

mu4c_20le

DDG would have been crucified for both the disallowed goals too - for not getting out of the box for the offside one, and for not getting to the volley which wasn't perfectly in the corner. i think the 1st criticism is fair and the second is not.
Did you just assess your own imaginary criticism?

passing-wind

My assessment with Henderson is given the chances he can only get better with time. De Gea on the other hand is more towards a downward trajectory, he's not consistent and is unreliable as a result. If we had a solid defence then maybe it's of less importance but Jordan surely provides greater long term future value and that's what the club should look towards.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
That is something which i noticed in Hendo's style. He never goes out too much. De Gea in one on one situations always goes out as much as he can (which is funny in some way because he is labelled as someone who is bad in rushing out). Henderson stays deep and closer to goal.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That is something which i noticed in Hendo's style. He never goes out too much. De Gea in one on one situations always goes out as much as he can (which is funny in some way because he is labelled as someone who is bad in rushing out). Henderson stays deep and closer to goal.
The guy I posted above noted a one-on-one weakness too, though not sure it's quite the point you were making:

But yes, De Gea is better in those particular situations.

Though it's worth emphasising the point that even while pointing out those few weaknesses he still thinks Henderson is good enough.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think this would be a wake-up call to all those who believe that Henderson is much better than Dave.

I think both are roughly at the same level, both with varying strengths and weaknesses, and depending on the game, you'd say "X wouldn't do that" or "Had we had Y in goal, it wouldn't have been conceded" or whatever.

mu4c_20le

i was remembering criticisms made of DDG for pretty unsaveable shots here throughout the season, and based it off that.
:D just messing, it looked like that since no one criticized him before you brought it up. But yeah, our fanbase can be unbelievably harsh when judging goalkeepers.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The guy I posted above noted a one-on-one weakness too, though not sure it's quite the point you were making:

But yes, De Gea is better in those particular situations.

Though it's worth emphasising the point that even while pointing out those few weaknesses he still thinks Henderson is good enough.
Yup, that is it. City offside goal in cup comes on my mind too. City player (Foden) was sprinting 30m and Hendo waited him on 6y box. It was unbelievable for me.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This is why he needs a run of games. It's easier to look good in one off games here and there, but we need a decent sample size.

Chairman Steve

He needs a run of games. It’s important this mistake doesn’t affect him like it did with Howard when he was in the No.1 hot seat.

Red_Mancunia

Final score 1-1 but Henderson let 3 past him tonight.
Yes, the first was an offside, but still he managed to get beaten on his near post, the second was a hard one to catch admittedly, and the third one was a MASSIVE blunder. I mean how did he managed to let that last one in???

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Said before that I don't see any majorly special about him as a keeper. He was busy at SHU and had some good performances but so did Pickford at SUN.

English keepers are never and have never been the world's best, except maybe Banks. I really doubt Henderson will buck that trend. We legitimately have had the world's best keeper as our #1 and a season or two where he is performing lower than world class and everyone clamours for an untested kid with a HUGE ego.

I smell Joe Hart vibes here and I will happily be bookmarked on this.

This isn't on his mistake tonight, it's on every performance I've watched of his.

Giggs' right foot

Said before that I don't see any majorly special about him as a keeper. He was busy at SHU and had some good performances but so did Pickford at SUN.

English keepers are never and have never been the world's best, except maybe Banks. I really doubt Henderson will buck that trend. We legitimately have had the world's best keeper as our #1 and a season or two where he is performing lower than world class and everyone clamours for an untested kid with a HUGE ego.

I smell Joe Hart vibes here and I will happily be bookmarked on this.

This isn't on his mistake tonight, it's on every performance I've watched of his.
You make it sound like DDG has been playing juuuust the tier below world-class - he hasn't. He's been in the 'mediocre'-tier ever since the WC in 2018. That's soon to be three years. I would love for your post to be true - that DDG will get back to being world-class or at least just class, though I don't see it.

But I tend to agree on Henderson - I'm far from being won over and I wouldn't be surprised if we in two years' time have neither DDG nor Henderson as our no. 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.