Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JG3001

Why fans divide goals only on gk's fault or not his fault? This goal today is not his fault and it is not even a blunder. But it is a goal which even an average gk must save.
And yes, McT lost his player but what does that mean? When first player fecks up, everything else after that doesn't count?
There’s a significant number of fans on here who seem to feel it’s their sworn duty to defend certain players to the hilt, usually by exaggerating the fault of any other player that stands in their way.

De Gea runs a high risk of going down the Rooney trajectory, a player paid way beyond his ability for past performances. He has lost a yard or two in reactions and has looked nervy on basic shots and crosses, horribly inconsistent for at least 2 seasons, which have led to a number of easy goals and dropped points. I don’t see how anyone can argue this.

Henderson deserves a stint at goal, he’s had some wobbles, if it gets to the end of the season and there’s still an inconsistency and lack of belief, let’s look elsewhere. Quite simple really. (Personally think Romero never really got a fair crack at the net)

LoneStar

In any case, he'll be starting for the next few games I'd assume, with Dave away. Let's see how he responds. The last thing we need is to buy a new GK with so many other areas needing to be prioritised.

Sylar

now you’ll get the test. Clean sheet and at least one big save on Sunday.
Yeah I'm happy hes having a run of games. West Ham style will be a big test given how much they will play to our weaknesses

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The thing people wont understand is that since Henderson is a traditional goalkeeper with good potential - he will start with alot of mistakes.

Goalkeepers get better towards the later end of their career; arguably one of the players that didnt have this was De Gea.

De Gea was a pure reflex based goalkeeper that was better when he was younger and gets worse with age.

Henderson is the opposite, a goal keeper less reliant on reflexes and more a controller of their box. He will get better with age and experience but worse when he is younger.

Having a go at Henderson for making mistakes is unfair since it was always going to happen in my opinion.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
The thing people wont understand is that since Henderson is a traditional goalkeeper with good potential - he will start with alot of mistakes.

Goalkeepers get better towards the later end of their career; arguably one of the players that didnt have this was De Gea.

De Gea was a pure reflex based goalkeeper that was better when he was younger and gets worse with age.

Henderson is the opposite, a goal keeper less reliant on reflexes and more a controller of their box. He will get better with age and experience but worse when he is younger.

Having a go at Henderson for making mistakes is unfair since it was always going to happen in my opinion.
De gea was atrocious initially for us but we stuck with him and he was amazing. Same concept here.

Sylar

We are turning on him now? Who is next on the menu? :lol:
Sad isn't it

Remember ddg making mistakes when he first joined, the goals in the community shield, I think his first league game. Was also a period he was dropped / rested for lindegaard

It's been said goalkeepers will make mistakes, all keepers do
what matters is the frequency and how they bounce back

Bebestation

De gea was atrocious initially for us but we stuck with him and he was amazing. Same concept here.
Yeah exactly but I also think he had to adapt to the PL tempo aswell.

I think Henderson will take longer to adapt to his full potential because he is a more well rounded goalkeeper than De Gea. He has to work on multiple aspects on his game in comparison to De Gea who had to only arguably work on one aspect of the game - his reflexes.

lsd

The Oracle
Henderson reminds me off a lesser version of Ben Foster. He may be confident but just appears to be very average in all aspects of his game. His positioning is suspect, reflexes are slow and he tends to parry the ball out into dangerous areas far too much as well

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Amazing that Henderson makes one mistake and "should be dropped forever"... DDG has at least two poor seasons and "must be brought back immediately"

For me, the jury is out on Henderson but there is little doubt that DDG is past his best. Dean should get to play against West Ham so we can see what he's made of after a mistake. In fact, given we know all we need to about DDG, Henderson should get a run so that an informed (yeh, right) decision can be made in the summer: 1) DDG 2) Hendo 3) New keeper

Sylar

Christ men, the guy was always going to make a mistake, hold your damn horses, and give him time.
Yep which is what has been said by the sane ones. Every keeper makes a mistake, even vds and Schmeichel
I think vds made a mistake for that Messi goal in 2011

No keeper goes mistake free, heck every player makes a mistake, but goal keeper is a position where it's costly and more memorable

Amazing that Henderson makes one mistake and "should be dropped forever"... DDG has at least two poor seasons and "must be brought back immediately"

For me, the jury is out on Henderson but there is little doubt that DDG is past his best. Dean should get to play against West Ham so we can see what he's made of after a mistake. In fact, given we know all we need to about DDG, Henderson should get a run so that an informed (yeh, right) decision can be made in the summer: 1) DDG 2) Hendo 3) New keeper
I think this is fair. I honestly think our defence looks more solid or balanced or calmer with Henderson behind it even if ddg is better than Henderson at this moment. But we probably don't win a major trophy with ddg now

With Henderson we have no idea and he needs games to see if he can cope with the pressure

Yesterday for sure was a mistake and I'm sure he will know it. We will now see if he overcompensates against West Ham and it breaks him or if he comes back stronger

Mcking

He has to be saving that, no doubt. Shame as he was what should be a regulation save away from a sixth consecutive cleansheet, and now we have a huge disadvantage going into the second leg as well.

Positive for him is that he gets to play the next three games regardless. Hope he bounces back against West Ham.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

In terms of why he didn't save it, this is a good spot too. Aside from the technical inaccuracy of having his hands behind his back he also seemed to be anticipating the ball going elsewhere.

Mainoldo

Hendo the new agenda target? :lol:

Whilst we are here though ask yourselves who has 2 weeks paternity leave in the middle of a football season on 300k a week.:smirk:

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
You can't teach height and that's something that's going to rear its head a lot with him. De Gea has used his reach to great effect and Hendo will need to be so good positionally to make sure it's not an issue.

Mcking

Hendo the new agenda target? :lol:

Whilst we are here though ask yourselves who has 2 weeks paternity leave in the middle of a football season on 300k a week.:smirk:
Will have to get used to it I think. I didn't want him to return with de Gea still at the club because rotating two goalkeepers is never good for either keeper.

You have to pick one goalkeeper and back him to the hilt until it is proven that he is not good enough. The ball did go through him which shouldn't happen, but I'm not worried about that because he doesn't have a history of it happening too many times.

Mainoldo

Will have to get used to it I think. I didn't want him to return with de Gea still at the club because rotating two goalkeepers is never good for either keeper.

You have to pick one goalkeeper and back him to the hilt until it is proven that he is not good enough. The ball did go through him which shouldn't happen, but I'm not worried about that because he doesn't have a history of it happening too many times.
He’s young these things happen it’s not like he caught it and threw it in the net. But like I said the club is filled with hate and agenda’s. The new one is the media are pushing Hendo to be number one so let’s turn against them and our own player. It’s pretty funny.

But yes one of them has to go in the summer. Hopefully the guy currently having a sabbatical on 300k a week.

Sylar

In terms of why he didn't save it, this is a good spot too. Aside from the technical inaccuracy of having his hands behind his back he also seemed to be anticipating the ball going elsewhere.
Watching that yes, Henderson should save it as has been said

But watching it like this, what the hell is our defence doing letting him get a free header . There's no movement at all to track the run and put him under pressure. What are Bailly Fred and mctominay doing there? It's a cluster of mistakes

RUCK4444

Watching that yes, Henderson should save it as has been said

But watching it like this, what the hell is our defence doing letting him get a free header . There's no movement at all to track the run and put him under pressure. What are Bailly Fred and mctominay doing there? It's a cluster of mistakes
Yeah it's a keeper error but the defending is awful. He just jogs through our entire defence there and gets himself a free header. Nobody tracking him, nobody challenging for the ball in the air. Shite.

Bebestation

When an player plays with lack of experience in attack then they simply miss a chance or have a quiet game.

When a young goalkeeper plays with a relative lack of experience then they will simply let in chances, make mistakes and let in goals. It will change in the years to come slowly.

Mcking

Goal was soft like cakes. Straight at him, good height, got a full hand to it and pushed it into the roof of the net
It's the kind of saves that look good on the eye when it is pulled off, but realistically you know it is a save the keeper should be making comfortably. Don't think it has anything to do with quality, every goalkeeper at any decent level saves that any day. Nothing to worry about IMO, but hope it doesn't cost us the competition.

Marcus

It is good to see if Henderson can bounce back from this. I want to see if he can be that goalkeeper who is up to withstanding the physicality of West Ham. This is the team which plays to De Gea's greatest weaknesses. A very good test.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
It's the kind of saves that look good on the eye when it is pulled off, but realistically you know it is a save the keeper should be making comfortably. Don't think it has anything to do with quality, every goalkeeper at any decent level saves that any day. Nothing to worry about IMO, but hope it doesn't cost us the competition.
Looked like he tried to make the save look like a worldie. Instead of standing up straight he bent back too much and got caught out. He's young though so hopefully he'll learn from these sort of mistakes and go on to be becoming a great for us. I remember De Geas first season with us where he made all sorts of mistakes. Went on to becoming our best player 5 seasons in a row so Henderson should be given those same opportunities.

evil_geko

His "area controlling" is being overrated on here, I haven't seen any of it. Need David back asap.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The goal was a clusterfeck all round, from defending and keeping. I felt like he could have put two hands up for that, it didn’t seem a particularly fast header and was straight at him. Hopefully he learns from it like DeGea did early in his career

Status
Not open for further replies.