Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That was a massive mistake, its a basic save that near enough any keeper should be saving, no matter their age.

Henderson has a lot of experience in senior football now, his age doesn't excuse him of what was a poor mistake.

Doesn't mean he shouldn't still be given a chance but is a worrying sign mainly due to the fact he didn't seem to make these mistakes at Sheffield United.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Doesn't mean he shouldn't still be given a chance but is a worrying sign mainly due to the fact he didn't seem to make these mistakes at Sheffield United.
Not sure that's really true. Saw quite a bit of Sheff Utd after the restart and plenty of the goals he conceded were pretty fecking weak.

A few examples that came to mind (hopefully the timestamps work to just show the actual goals):

Wasn't convinced by him then, not convinced by him now.

Revan

Assumptionman
The goal was a clusterfeck all round, from defending and keeping. I felt like he could have put two hands up for that, it didn’t seem a particularly fast header and was straight at him. Hopefully he learns from it like DeGea did early in his career
Hopefully, he does, although it needs to be noted that at this age, De Gea had won one best keeper in the league award, one best United player award and was already started getting recognition as the best keeper in the world after Neuer (in addition to having won Europa League and EPL as a starter).

Henderson is really not a kid, though there are tendencies of going the Jesse Lingard/Danny Welbeck road of somehow being mentioned as a young player even in their mid-twenties.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Hopefully, he does, although it needs to be noted that at this age, De Gea had won one best keeper in the league award, one best United player award and was already started getting recognition as the best keeper in the world after Neuer (in addition to having won Europa League and EPL as a starter).

Henderson is really not a kid, though there are tendencies of going the Jesse Lingard/Danny Welbeck road of somehow being mentioned as a young player even in their mid-twenties.
In terms of experience he’s a kid

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
His first notable error at the club, not quite panic stations especially when you consider de Gea made worse mistakes in his earlier performances.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Henderson with 24y is a kid who is learning and Dave with 30y is old and in decline. On caf career starts at 25 and is finished when player hit 30

Smores

Every keeper makes plenty of mistakes over a season, some of you need to realise this.

It's why the De Gea criticism is so ridiculously over the top. If Henderson eclipses De Gea then great it'll mean we have a top keeper but if the expectation is significantly less mistakes than De Gea i think many will be disappointed.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
It was a poor mistake, but generally, he's a lot more vocal and authoritative than DdG.

I don't think it's time to get Romero just yet...

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Wonder how much of the error is due to the defensive line being so low, not having adequate reaction time.
The defence will need to adapt to Henderson. This is an issue as de Gea is very much a goal-line keeper resulting in the centre-backs dropping deeper and deeper whereas Henderson tends to be much more proactive in his box allowing centre-backs to push a little further forward.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I'm certainly more in the camp of DDG remaining our number 1, but we as fans should have more faith in him. He's a young(ish) English goalie who massively impressed at Sheffield. We've been fortunate enough to have solid backup goalies for the past 5 years, and now is a chance for one to step up and make it his own.

Dave was a calamity in his first season for us, but most could see he had the potential to be great, and he certainly lived up to that. I dont think Henderson will ever reach the heights he did, but the fact its another academy player (and a goalie at that) he should be given more time.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
At least now we get a chance to see how he responds, the extra pressure is good. It’s sink or swim time.
Yep. Presumably he knows this run of games is his opportunity to make an impression and displace De Gea. So now pressure has ramped up slightly, which is good from the POV of seeing how he handles it.

Plus I don't think it's any harm for people to be reminded that although he is very good he still has flaws. Some of the praise for him after the last few games was as exaggerated as some of the criticism now. People need to be realistic.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Not sure that's really true. Saw quite a bit of Sheff Utd after the restart and plenty of the goals he conceded were pretty fecking weak.

A few examples that came to mind (hopefully the timestamps work to just show the actual goals):

None of them are anywhere close to being a similar mistake as last night, in fact i would go so far to say none of them are mistakes.

Had he saved any of them goals you've highlighted there people would be singing his praises, whihc generally means that he isn't really expected to save them. Last night he was expected to save that.

I am yet to be convinced by him, but thats only because he hasnt been in a United shirt for long - being united goalkeeper brings about a different kind of pressure to the norm, whereas highlighting a few goals which are not really Hendersons fault isn't really saying much.

Abraxas

I think there's levels of mistakes. To me this was not an egregious one. When people say he should have saved it, it's more of an estimate than something that is clearly obvious. It's often said he "should" have saved it or "X keeper would have saved it" but unless it's a very obvious error it seems to me a lot of so called goalkeeping errors have a larger grey area than many admit.

Hypothetically speaking, if the exact circumstances could be replicated and posed to a number of premier league goalkeepers then I don't think the distribution of results would be as definitive as the observations of fans and pundits.

However, this is why a sustained run is important. The more situations that can be analysed then the more informed the opinions that can be drawn on Henderson. If you have 20 such situations then patterns start to emerge. It's very much a case of wait and see for me. At the moment there has been some concerning moments and some good things.

Reactions: roonster09

arnie_ni

Yeah it's a keeper error but the defending is awful. He just jogs through our entire defence there and gets himself a free header. Nobody tracking him, nobody challenging for the ball in the air. Shite.
We don't track players. We mark zones. It's why we get beat so much in the air. The attacker always has a run on us

AKDevil

At 23 De Gea had played 175 games for us.

Even if you're looking at it on a games played basis - ie comparing an 18 year old De Gea to a 23 year old Henderson - De Gea was on a completely different planet talent-wise.

His reflex saves were already extraordinary, his feet saves were basically a trademark and almost revolutionary in how often he pulled them off. He obviously made mistakes...but it was screamingly obvious what a talent he was and how many areas he excelled at. Henderson excels at nothing.
how convincing was De Gea less than 20 games into his United career? He had some qualities that would buy him time, yes, but it was rocky too.

largelyworried

Cherry picking this like is rarely a good method of analysis. Fact is we have total post-shot xG (link) drawn from every shot he faced over the entire season last year, and his performance in net was pretty strong. Not the best, but he ranked 6th overall, which is decent. Whether that makes him good for United is another question but I don't think there's much to support the argument he wasn't good for Sheffield United.

Sylar

Ole seems to indicate ddg is back in Manchester and is isolating and he's not sure when he returned so might be available for West Ham

That would be a huge mistake for two reasons. You gotta play Henderson after the mistake and ddg will have had no training at all

Eugenius

He seems to be a bit awkward with how he sets himself for shots. Not just the goal but he also got beaten at his near post for the offside goal & sometimes looks to make more of meal some fairly routine saves.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Dave is back. So i guess Hendo will stay on goal next two games and then next weekend Dave comes back on goal

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Again, the criticism is exactly what was being discussed last season and whether he’ll be able to handle it. This isn’t Sheffield, even when you concede and offside goal like last night, you’d still get criticism, rightly or wrongly. Can he handle this pressure? Let’s see.

I’m not worried he’s clearly a 40 million pound keeper for some premier league team. De Gea can be let go to get rid of his wage and we can bring someone in whom is good enough. Though I see Dean leaving this summer and De Gea the next.

Foxbatt

Why are we writing him after a couple of games? He has not played so many times with this defence and it is going to get a bit of time for him to get used to it. Yes, it was at him and he should have saved it but why the heck was someone allowed to have a free header so close to goal in the very first place?
There was another moment when he was coming out to collect the ball and AWB headed it away. He would have easily claimed but DeGea would not come out for that so AWB was used to heading it away.

Saddy

In my opinion we probably need an upgrade on De Gea and Henderson.

However Henderson is still rated our equal top player on 6.4 with Bruno so let's support the guy and all goalies make mistakes but there is no way we should give up on him yet.

Don't Kill Bill

I did notice how long some of his clearances are. I didn't realize he had that sort of range. Hope his mistake doesn't cost us but unless his bottle goes I'd keep him in for the next 4/5 games.

Silverman

Mistakes are going to happen starting out.
Still backing Henderson to be #1 next season.

mu4c_20le

He's 24 years old, with 167 senior appearances, and has played for his country. He might not be the finished product, but he is not that green.
For a goalkeeper that's adolescent.

I'm willing to give him a bit of time, but it's shades of Ben Foster to me.
Strange comparison, since the likes of Foster and Howard were solid keepers, but couldn't handle the pressure at the highest level. Dean is just getting started.

spiriticon

I wish Henderson got the same patience afforded to Martial. 6 years of waiting for Martial and yet half the caf still thinks he'll 'come good'. Henderson gets 3 games and then he's binned.

Maybe it's because Hendo comes from our academy. If we'd bought him for £50 million from Monaco, he'd probably get more slack.

Deano Hendo came from France
English press said he had no chance
£50 million down the drain
Deano Hendo saves again

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I wish Henderson got the same patience afforded to Martial. 6 years of waiting for Martial and yet half the caf still thinks he'll 'come good'. Henderson gets 3 games and then he's binned.

Maybe it's because Hendo comes from our academy. If we'd bought him for £50 million from Monaco, he'd probably get more slack.

Deano Hendo came from France
English press said he had no chance
£50 million down the drain
Deano Hendo saves again
Or maybe its because Martial carried the team in his first season.

Hendo needs more time and Martial should he sold at this point. I think Hendo warming the bench for half a season didnt help him at all

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He reminds me a bit too much of other decent English keepers who are never going to be proper top-level. Worth giving more of a chance but if you can get good money for him and get someone better in then it’s probably good for everyone.

spiriticon

Or maybe its because Martial carried the team in his first season.

Hendo needs more time and Martial should he sold at this point. I think Hendo warming the bench for half a season didnt help him at all
Martial has done absolutely no carrying of any sort. He had a decent 1st season when defenders didn't have a clue who he was and how he played, as did Rashford and Greenwood before they all got sussed out.

But I digress. This is not the Martial thread.

My point is that seeing the difference in the way certain players (probably of the same calibre and level) are treated by our fanbase makes absolutely no sense to me. Deano might turn out to be the Martial of goalkeepers and be a massive disappointment after 5 years, but we got to at least give him a chance to disappoint us.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Players make mistakes, it's about how they come back from them. This is - results wise - his biggest mistake. Tomorrow will tell us a lot.

Personally, I also think the weather should be accounted for from Thursday. It's easy on camera to see that and not understand how a professional keeper has missed it, but from the commentators it was basically a tropical storm in OT, and anyone who has been between the sticks in a park in those conditions...a good gust can move the ball.

It's not as big a mistake as missing an open goal from, say, 4 inches.

RashyForPM

I'm willing to give him a bit of time, but it's shades of Ben Foster to me.
Not speaking to you personally, but people need to get off Dean’s back. He’s made a mistake, fine, every goalkeeper does. He’s still the best young keeper in the league, England’s future number 1 and the best performing keeper in the league last season. He was also very good against City just last week. Many people have forgotten that.

As for the reason why I quoted your post, Ben Foster, the man himself said recently that Dean is better than him. Foster himself was and still is a good goalkeeper, just prone to a mistake. I believe Dean will be far better than him and be our number 1 for the next dozen years.

Even in the worst case scenario that he becomes like Foster, we’ve still got ourselves an excellent number 2 because as I said, Foster himself was good, or a lot of money if we sell him. I believe it won’t come to that personally. Give him a chance lads, it’s one mistake.

KennyBurner

Not this again :rolleyes:

Define “coward”?
I call him a coward because of his refusal to play modern football. Modern football for a goalie requires more risks which the average GKs are willing to do but of course not ours.. Anytime we come up against a big team he reverts to his old ways of clearing the ball even if our defenders are trying to play it short. It all starts from the back as you can see with other top teams. Even AWB has started trying to play infield passes instead of the usual clearance under pressure. This messes up the whole flow for everyone.

There is also the regular case of him being bullied in the box. For 2 years now I've been carefully watching him and there is no doubt in my mind he is a big coward and a setback for us trying to play fluid football consistently.

Thursday was so disappointing because Henderson played like an extra man which is good for how we want to play out the back but was lacking where it really mattered. Gks today need to be brave and look for the extra man in the middle which De Gea will always refuse to do. Its so frustrating that he cant even cross the ball without it being intercepted which has happened countless times this year.

Either way I dont want De Gea anymore. We need to move on even if he is still the better Goalkeeper. We can never progress with a keeper that cant play the ball which isnt a hard requirement at this level.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Martial has done absolutely no carrying of any sort. He had a decent 1st season when defenders didn't have a clue who he was and how he played, as did Rashford and Greenwood before they all got sussed out.

But I digress. This is not the Martial thread.

My point is that seeing the difference in the way certain players (probably of the same calibre and level) are treated by our fanbase makes absolutely no sense to me. Deano might turn out to be the Martial of goalkeepers and be a massive disappointment after 5 years, but we got to at least give him a chance to disappoint us.
You missed the point. The players you mentioned have had excellent performances over the course of > 6 months for United and Henderson hasnt (yet). Its not a good comparison you are making.

Status
Not open for further replies.