5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He made a couple of nice saves at the end last night, but is there anyone else who thinks he ends up in really weird positions consistently? Obviously the Salah one last season sticks in the memory because it just looked so bad...but it's something that seems to happen with him on a regular basis.

For the goal:

He's over-covered a huge amount there. By a good few steps at least.

Ends up with this chance:

The Yarmolenko chance in the second half sort of went under the radar, because the match had become so stretched by then that we were already on another attack, so there was only one replay shown from a pretty bad angle...but it was an early contender for miss of the season. Henderson was in no man's land and gave Yarmolenko effectively an open net.

L1nk

Regardless on your opinion on him, he's in the right really, he clearly doesn't want to rot his career away on the bench so I don't blame him

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Regardless on your opinion on him, he's in the right really, he clearly doesn't want to rot his career away on the bench so I don't blame him
Absolutely. I think if those Newcastle links are genuine, it would be a great move for him, with the pressure there gradually increasing and him getting the chance of becoming a mainstay in a side that will eventually become a major challenger.

Oranges038

The lad should be number one ahead of De Gea, no doubt about it. He and the whole team performed better in every way last year when he played. His all round game is so much better for the team as well.

RonaldoVII

The lad should be number one ahead of De Gea, no doubt about it. He and the whole team performed better in every way last year when he played. His all round game is so much better for the team as well.
Apart from his shot saving ability, of course.

We should've sold him in the summer.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I can understand the argument that Henderson should start ahead of De Gea.

But, realistically, he isn't the "modern" goalkeeper people want either. His sweeping and distribution is average, it's just that De Gea's is worse than average. And his main asset in his excellent season at Sheffield United was (like De Gea) his shot-stopping. Something many would argue he's not as good as De Gea at.

My point being that in the medium/long term, I'd want both replaced anyway. So Henderson going before De Gea does can only ever be so much of a loss.

Oranges038

Apart from his shot saving ability, of course.

We should've sold him in the summer.
Apart from not conceding over a goal a game, keeping the same amount of clean sheets in 20 games less, winning 1 less game in 20 less games. He actually had a higher save % and conceded less shots on goal per game than De Gea. But none of that really matters once camera save Dave makes himself a new youtube highlight every week.

It could be that facing less shots and conceding less goals is perhaps coming from him being better at organising the defense in front of him. There also seems to be some strange correlation between conceding less goals and winning more games when he plays. I'm not sure why though, it certainly is very strange.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Apart from not conceding over a goal a game, keeping the same amount of clean sheets in 20 games less, winning 1 less game in 20 less games. He actually had a higher save % and conceded less shots on goal per game than De Gea. But none of that really matters once camera save Dave makes himself a new youtube highlight every week.

It could be that facing less shots and conceding less goals is perhaps coming from him being better at organising the defense in front of him. There also seems to be some strange correlation between conceding less goals and winning more games when he plays. I'm not sure why though, it certainly is very strange.
It's admittedly difficult to judge, but I do think his communication with the defense makes the whole unit more effective than it is with De Gea, who is better at making great saves. You don't have to be as good of a shot stopper if you're facing fewer goals because the defense is more coherent in front of you. De Gea's saves make it hard to drop him, but I would like to see Henderson get a run in the team to see how it impacts the defense.

I don't think Ole is brave enough to do it though, just like he refused to start or sub in Henderson in the Europa League Final.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
No surprise he wants to leave. It clear that he isn't going to get the number 1 spot now, so should look to move on if he wants to be the number 1 at a club. Hopefully we can get some decent money for him still.

RonaldoVII

The old Sergio Romero stat padding.

Oranges038

Yeah, the old stat padding argument.

It's a strange coincidence that the team defends better as a unit when DDG hasn't been playing. Romero and now with Henderson.

Almost as if there's more to goal keeping than just making the odd camera save.

Bwuk

Newcastle in January makes sense for all parties tbh.

Delano

We should have sold him when he was at his highest value.

He'll get interest from second tier European clubs and Newcastle. Because thats his level.

Nickelodeon

We should cash on him while we can. If we want to replace De Gea, we would need to upgrade on his weaknesses such as aerial ability and sweeping. Neither of which I think Henderson is particularly good at.

JB7

How often did Romero play against City, Liverpool, Spurs, AC Milan? Heck, when did Romero even play against West Ham, Aston Villa, Everton etc?

And like @Oranges038 said, it's rather an odd coincidence that the team defenders better when DDG isn't playing isn't it? Almost as strange of a coincidence as us signing countless defenders over the past 10 years who have looked dreadful for us and fantastic for their national teams with a different goalkeeper behind them.

SoCross

Post DDG, who’d we have in mind for the man between the sticks?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Sometimes just before I fall asleep I get a flashback to that Salah goal. Usually have to go for a short walk to move on.

Oranges038

How often did Romero play against City, Liverpool, Spurs, AC Milan? Heck, when did Romero even play against West Ham, Aston Villa, Everton etc?

And like @Oranges038 said, it's rather an odd coincidence that the team defenders better when DDG isn't playing isn't it? Almost as strange of a coincidence as us signing countless defenders over the past 10 years who have looked dreadful for us and fantastic for their national teams with a different goalkeeper behind them.
Some people just can't see past the saves.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Post DDG, who’d we have in mind for the man between the sticks?
Haven't thought about it too deeply but from within the PL someone like Sanchez at Brighton might be an interesting option.

He was the top performer in terms of shot-stopping last season, one of the best in terms of claiming corners last season, the best in terms of claiming crosses this season (as of the end of October anyway) and is excellent on the ball in Brighton's build-up play too. At 23 years old I'd imagine a lot of bigger clubs have their eye on him.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Dave's form was terrible last season. This season his shot stopping has been back to phenomenal levels.
I can understand the argument that Henderson should start ahead of De Gea.

But, realistically, he isn't the "modern" goalkeeper people want either. His sweeping and distribution is average, it's just that De Gea's is worse than average. And his main asset in his excellent season at Sheffield United was (like De Gea) his shot-stopping. Something many would argue he's not as good as De Gea at.

My point being that in the medium/long term, I'd want both replaced anyway. So Henderson going before De Gea does can only ever be so much of a loss.
Fully agree with this. I think we'll struggle to offload DDG with his enormous wages. Think we're stuck with keeping him as a 2nd GK. I think if we played a high line it would cover up some of his issues as well (though not entirely).

Oranges038

Dave's form was terrible last season. This season his shot stopping has been back to phenomenal levels.

Fully agree with this. I think we'll struggle to offload DDG with his enormous wages. Think we're stuck with keeping him as a 2nd GK. I think if we played a high line it would cover up some of his issues as well (though not entirely).
I know he's saving shots. Everybody can see that, to be honest some of the saves are entirely avoidable if he would just come claim a high ball or organise his defence better. It's every thing else he doesn't do and the complete lack of clean sheets, he is still conceding over a goal a game.

You cannot play a highline with him because he doesn't move out of his 6 yard box and because of that he sucks the whole team back.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I know he's saving shots. Everybody can see that, to be honest some of the saves are entirely avoidable if he would just come claim a high ball or organise his defence better. It's every thing else he doesn't do and the complete lack of clean sheets, he is still conceding over a goal a game.

You cannot play a highline with him because he doesn't move out of his 6 yard box and because of that he sucks the whole team back.
His inability to come off his line and to command his box is a bigger issue in a low block.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
His form was average to poor for three seasons straight.

One thing that everyone forgets is that for the first two or three months of last season DDG actually looked like he might be back in form. Everyone was saying that the competition from Henderson had bought the best out of him and got him back to his old ways after two poor seasons. Of course in hindsight we now know that after those couple of months he dramatically dropped off again, to the extent that he probably had his worst overall season. It's going to be interesting to see whether it happens again this season, or whether he's actually going to maintain his good shot-stopping form for the entire season this time.

Longshanks

Sometimes just before I fall asleep I get a flashback to that Salah goal. Usually have to go for a short walk to move on.
You mean the one where salah ran clean through on goal from the halfway line? He was kind of dammed if you do dammed if you don't there, does he rush one of the best dribblers in world football and get embarrassed miles from his line or does he hold his posistion and hope he can save the attempted shot from one of the best finishers in world football who has all the time and space in the world. I admit he didn't really do anything but he was fecked from the get go there it would of only been a salah mistake that meant there wasn't a goal.

What's more important is his all round play and how much better we look defensivley with him in nets, we generally concede less chances can play a higher line can press and win the ball back higher up the pitch and come under less periods of pressure.

His distribution is better aswell, although his close control short passing technique isn't any better but his long kicking and throwing is.

Maybe de gea will make more remarkable saves, but henderson won't have to make as many of those saves.

I'm not sure henderson is the future but I would rather see him inbetween the sticks right now as its has a more positive affect on our general play.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Reminds me a bit of the victor valdes situation

Why? Seem about as dissimilar as you can get to me. Only similarity is neither of them are first choice.

future2future

Story in dutch media today that Ajax wants to make a move for him in January. I can imagine he's interested in a loan period? Playing for a established club in CL, with VDS being there as a United legend.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ajax would be a good loan for him if we want to send him out.

redom

So Dean goes out on loan for 6 months, gets his foot in the door with the new boss and ousts De Gea when Ten Hag takes over in the summer... crafty lad.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Would be good for him to become more of a modern keeper, better at playing with the ball at his feet, playing behind a high line of defense.

For Ajax this move makes little sense, he is worse than Onana, not that much better than Pasveer on current form, not an Ajax style goalkeeper, and Ajax will never buy him for the money United will ask.

Same time, maybe Ten Hag does like him.

Mindhunter

He should be no.1 ahead of De Gea. Not going out on loan.
Are you serious? He has done nothing to warrant a starting position for a club like United with title ambitions. Of course he is miles better than a typical second-choice keeper and can hold his own against top PL teams. That doesn't make him a natural successor to DDG.

We shouldn't be quick to pass on an important position to him just so that we don't lose him. I think fans want him to be named number 1 not because he is better than DDG but because they don't want other clubs to have him.

Oranges038

Are you serious? He has done nothing to warrant a starting position for a club like United with title ambitions. Of course he is miles better than a typical second-choice keeper and can hold his own against top PL teams. That doesn't make him a natural successor to DDG.

We shouldn't be quick to pass on an important position to him just so that we don't lose him. I think fans want him to be named number 1 not because he is better than DDG but because they don't want other clubs to have him.
Aye, he should. In all the individual stats last season he was streets ahead of DDG. He played 20 less games than DDG, the team won more games, conceded less chances, less goals and kept more clean sheets in 20 less games.

It all depends on whether you prefer to have a keeper that overall concedes less chances and less than a goal a game and keeps more clean sheets or a keeper that concedes more chances and over a goal (almost 2 this season) a game. Whether you prefer a guy who actually suits how the team should play to the guy who is glued to his line waiting for his camera save moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.