Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

David De Gea

I think its safe to say he's probably been our most talented back up but I just don't see it in him to be one of the very best goalkeepers in the world. I predict a Ben Foster sort of career in which there is no shame at all. He'll probably always be in and around the PL but never being one of the very best.

I've heard so many people thinking Romero was good enough to No. 1, even some though Lindegaard back in the day and now Henderson. None have ever been close to my username or any top goalkeepers for that matter in my opinion.

Varun1

Okay, so explain to me why the club gave him a starter contract? You actually think that it happened without the idea of starting him? My suspiscion is that the club planned to sell De Gea but couldn't and then started the player with the larger contract because initially De Gea wasn't even good so there is no argument to support the idea that he deserved it more.
There, you said yourself. It's not that difficult to see that DDG is having a very good season and Henderson was unlucky to catch covid and so lost his spot.
Given how shit the team has been, it's also not difficult to see why RR isn't willing to drop that one player who's doing well.
Unless you don't think DDG is having a good season.

edcunited1878

Okay, so explain to me why the club gave him a starter contract? You actually think that it happened without the idea of starting him? My suspiscion is that the club planned to sell De Gea but couldn't and then started the player with the larger contract because initially De Gea wasn't even good so there is no argument to support the idea that he deserved it more.
DDG's current contract ends in June 2023, but there is an option for a further year. Henderson's contract is until June 2025, with an option for a further year.

The idea to pay him and lock him in was both immediate and long term. To that, Henderson was injured going into Euros and withdrew. Then he caught Covid. Meanwhlie, DDG returned early and was the clear number 1 while Henderson was recovering from injury and illness. United have been looking to offload DDG for at least a couple of seasons as his form dipped, but because Henderson seemed to be a capable deputy.

Henderson is panicking because it is a World Cup year and he needs playing time to get into the England squad. If Pickford is 1, then the 2 and 3 spots are up for grabs. Nick Pope, Ramsdale, Johnstone, and Henderson.

I still think it would be wrong to extend David because his wages are just too high and his weekly wages can easily support an additional player. Goalkeeping doesn't need to have a world class player. There are plenty of examples where having a good to very good, but dependable GK will more than suffice.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There, you said yourself. It's not that difficult to see that DDG is having a very good season and Henderson was unlucky to catch covid and so lost his spot.
Given how shit the team has been, it's also not difficult to see why RR isn't willing to drop that one player who's doing well.
Unless you don't think DDG is having a good season.
The point wasn't about Rangnick but about why Henderson may feel a certain way. The other poster is acting as if Henderson had no reason to expect to be a starter in the last 18 months which is dishonest, because clearly the club declined to sell him and gave him a starter contract when De Gea was underperforming. Now it doesn't mean that Henderson should start in 2022 but it explains why we may be in a difficult situation today. Someone like Henderson would probably be happier starting for a midtable PL club than warming our bench and the club can't really expect him to be happy about it. Now Henderson should also conduct himself in a professional way and try to find an amicable solution.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Big mistake, we should have given him the No. 1 spot. He will be successful wherever he goes. He will have a better future than De Gea, so keeping him out of goal is just baffling. He needs the backing, GK always do, otherwise they dont perform to their level.You can quote me in a couple of years. Looking for a mid to long term GK when we have one on the bench. This club just doesnt want to make difficult, but right decisions.
His top level is worse than De Gea's current level, honestly he was actually downright poor in lots of games last year but was given an easy time for it. He made a mistake every 2/3 games that led to a goal.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
His top level is worse than De Gea's current level, honestly he was actually downright poor in lots of games last year but was given an easy time for it. He made a mistake every 2/3 games that led to a goal.
Yep, De Gea was just awful last season so Hendo looked somewhat comparable. If the point was to actually replace DDG as first choice the answer was to bring in a new GK like Onana, not promote Hendo.

Pickle85

So you think that the club would have intentionally started the worse keeper? He's always been better than Hendo. The latter has benefited from a combination of DDG's rough patch and his own lack of game time (like many, he seems to get better in some people's minds the less he plays). Also, what do you mean by a starter contract? Is that just a contract that's on the kind of money that a starter would expect? If so, it's not exactly unprecedented for United to give massive contract to people they don't intend to start.

So do you genuinely believed that the club tried to ship DDG and then started him, despite believing Hendo was better, purely because he was paid more?

As for no argument to support the idea that he deserved it more...what about DDG's past status as a top 3 keeper in the world? Or maybe the fact that when Hendo was injured at the start of the season DDG performed well and kept his place?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
And look how that was dealt.

If this is 100% true, be ruthless and get rid for good. I'm sure there will be clubs from 12th-20th in this league happy to take him on for 1/3 of the wages he is on.
Yes, but we'll then again have to massively supplement a player's wages when they're not even with us.

We need to learn from this and stop banging players who aren't even regulars on 100k a week.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So you think that the club would have intentionally started the worse keeper? He's always been better than Hendo. The latter has benefited from a combination of DDG's rough patch and his own lack of game time (like many, he seems to get better in some people's minds the less he plays). Also, what do you mean by a starter contract? Is that just a contract that's on the kind of money that a starter would expect? If so, it's not exactly unprecedented for United to give massive contract to people they don't intend to start.

So do you genuinely believed that the club tried to ship DDG and then started him, despite believing Hendo was better, purely because he was paid more?

As for no argument to support the idea that he deserved it more...what about DDG's past status as a top 3 keeper in the world? Or maybe the fact that when Hendo was injured at the start of the season DDG performed well and kept his place?
It was always a really awkward scenario.

De Gea with years on a colossal contract, and no chance we were shipping him, and still only 31.

While Henderson played his hand magnificently to blag 100k a week himself for yonks, but never showed anywhere near the level we'd aim for.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Yes, but we'll then again have to massively supplement a player's wages when they're not even with us.

We need to learn from this and stop banging players who aren't even regulars on 100k a week.
Couldnt agree more. The lack of DoF, or even a general long term strategy from the top in terms of vision, has screwed up a lot of how we operate generally. This year will hopefully be a change of that attitude.

JPRouve

Scout

I think De Gea wasn't supposed to be around and that as long as he was under contract the club wouldn't sideline him, primarily due to his contract and eventually due to the fact that he beat Henderson.

Alejandro Angel

I think De Gea wasn't supposed to be around and that as long as he was under contract the club wouldn't sideline him, primarily due to his contract and eventually due to the fact that he beat Henderson.
I don't know about that, but hearing the rumours that Henderson through a fit because he was not going ro be played in the cup. And also that he wants to leave and is the ,(leek according to reports) I just want him gone, always waning to be the numbed one keeper but he has never shown he can be anything other than average.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't know about that, but hearing the rumours that Henderson through a fit because he was not going ro be played in the cup. And also that he wants to leave and is the ,(leek according to reports) I just want him gone, always waning to be the numbed one keeper but he has never shown he can be anything other than average.
He is average and it's fine, the issue is that an average goalkeeper isn't a backup, he starts for a midtable team. So it would make total sense that he is unhappy with his situation if he was sold a starting role because he is effectively wasting his career.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I’ve seen some mention that he’s a modern sweeper keeper. I’ve not really seen that. He’s more aggressive than De Gea but never thought he was special with the ball at his feet. Just comes across as another cocky, overrated English “talent” On a ludicrous contract. If it’s true that Soton are in for him then why not get rid? When it’s time to replace De Gea you’ll need a lot better than Henderson (Maignon would be a good signing and should have been done a couple of years back).

Zoo

Bloke is deluded. It has to be said. Move him on.

There isn't a less imposing goalkeeper in football.

Consistently weird technique too. Also dived early on just about every penalty.

Lecland07

Is this because of the penalties? Seriously? Keepers never take blame for penalty shootouts. People's bias is definitely showing through here.

Most of them were not saveable, anyway.

mu4c_20le

The only thing he is good at during penalties, is moving first. This may have worked for him in the league once or twice, but any decent player can catch that and they did tonight.

UnitedFan93

Can we please go back to having keepers that fill a goal, like big Pete or VDS. Sick of seeing tiny keepers that can't fill the goal. It's why De Gea and Henderson are so shit at penalties, they're not intimidating at all.

Remember the geese

Is this because of the penalties? Seriously? Keepers never take blame for penalty shootouts. People's bias is definitely showing through here.

Most of them were not saveable, anyway.
People are obviously upset. He basically chucked one in his own net though and his other attempts were pretty pathetic, so you can understand the frustration.

Lecland07

People are obviously upset. He basically chucked one in his own net though and his other attempts were pretty pathetic, so you can understand the frustration.
Why though? Have people not watched penalties before?

Whether the keeper saves it or not is probably 90% to do with the taker.

lsd

The Oracle
Disgraceful performance instead of trying for their goal for caught doing nothing out of his goal waving his arm in the air.

Then the penalties he was just shameful Middlesbrough must be laughing their heads off at how easy he made it every time for them.

He needs to get as far away from this club as possible as he is clearly nowhere near good enough

lsd

The Oracle
There isn't a less imposing goalkeeper in football.

Consistently weird technique too. Also dived early on just about every penalty.

Didn't even dive just fell over on his side before the player even started their run up.

We would have seriously done better without a keeper there

RedDevil@84

Hilarious work on the penalties. He didn't even try for few of them. Went way too early on one of them. Gave up, lest he needs to jump 6-7 times.
And people were abusing Ole for not bringing him on in Europa finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.