Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

devips

Henderson fan boys are not going to acknowledge that. In their eyes every Middleborough penalty was unsavable and not a case of the player seeing Henderson already go down on his side before they kicked the ball
Just as a matter of curiosity, How many pens did De Gea save during last year's Europa finals?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
a typical massive overrated local player.

Red_toad

Just as a matter of curiosity, How many pens did De Gea save during last year's Europa finals?
Dave made up for his 40 odd haul that’d all sailed past him previously later on. Same result we didn’t win. Hendo only got near 1, they were all really well taken and the ref was feckin anal about them being on their lines.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
There were many Henderson fan boys wanted to drop DDG because they think that Henderson is the "modern" goalkeeper who can command the penalty box and go out of the box to play as sweeper and etc.

Many argue against it because DDG was clearly a much better goalkeeper even though his form was bad during the time.
Some of us are not Henderson fan boys - some of us are just De gea haters who cant stand his one ability in goal.

Classical Mechanic

Is he afraid to dirty his kit or something? Dive, you fecking dolt.

Take a step, take a knee.

Useless.
He was waiting for a nervous player to hesitate and read their shot but only happened once, which he failed to save despite touching it. He will obviously be disappointed with that. His career stats are 6 saves from 16 faced in senior football (including the shootout last night) which is a save percentage of 38% which still very high, as you can see from the article below.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/648792

A lot of his penalties were faced at a lower level. In the PL he's faced 2, saved 1 and conceded 1 so it's a limited data set at the highest level.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Henderson is no where near as good as De Gea, in any department.
He will be off this summer without doubt to a mid table team.

Bristol_Red_87

I was really disappointed with his part in their 'goal'.

Schoolboy stuff to completely stop and simply raise an arm.

Looks very much like another player we've kept hold of for too long, both from the player and club's perspective.

Josep Dowling

I’m not going to have ago at the player. He isn’t getting games so isn’t sharp. Should have even sold whilst his stock was high if we knew De Gea would stay number one. Now we have a keeper who has limited minutes, off the back of a terrible penalty shoot out display. Whilst at Sheffield United I believe he had one of the best penalty saving records that season?

jesperjaap

For me he did well on his loan but I do wonder whether its the lack of genuine quality English goalkeepers at the moment and him being ahome grown player that has got him all the hype.

He is a decent goalkeeper and a very good number two for us. But if he is aggireved at being a number two and unhappy at that situation....then we should just sell him. He was competition for the mistake laden DeGea of recent times, but he isnt competition for the in form DeGea at all.

I dont understand people slating DeGea on here this season. He might not be the modern passing keeper people crave like they seem to crave attacking full backs regardless of whether they can defend....but he has been our most consistent player bar the two seasons for the last decade probably and kept us in games time and time again

Litch

Maybe not the best shoot stopper but by far the best keeper at the club in my opinion. DDG is perfect for Utd at the moment as he has been for a while. He’s far too much in the game and gets ‘his eye in’ cause the amount of shots people have against us. He’s absolutely brilliant at keeping them out which catches the eye. I like my keepers a bit different, they need to be brave, commanding, good at corners and set pieces, vocal and good at distribution including coming out the box. Those are the fundamentals of goalkeepers all of which DDG is poor at and Henderson is the polar opposite. Henderson is a very good shot stopper too….

RopersReturn

Yesterday’s performance confirmed everything we already knew. Henderson isn’t good enough and he is absolutely useless at trying to save penalties.

Litch

Yesterday’s performance confirmed everything we already knew. Henderson isn’t good enough and he is absolutely useless at trying to save penalties.
You know DDG record at saving penalties is shocking don’t you? Did you forget the saves he made yesterday including the one that kept us in the game? What else did he confirm for you?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
You know DDG record at saving penalties is shocking don’t you? Did you forget the saves he made yesterday including the one that kept us in the game? What else did he confirm for you?
That he is not a sweeper keeper? That decision to come out for their goal was appalling: didnt commit and ended up leaving the goal completely open.

Litch

That he is not a sweeper keeper? That decision to come out for their goal was appalling: didnt commit and ended up leaving the goal completely open.
He’s our best sweeper keeper and his distribution is better than DDG, this isn’t new Info. You must be watching a different game to me if you think that goal was down to a goalkeeping error.

Wing Attack Plan R

Maybe not the best shoot stopper but by far the best keeper at the club in my opinion. DDG is perfect for Utd at the moment as he has been for a while. He’s far too much in the game and gets ‘his eye in’ cause the amount of shots people have against us. He’s absolutely brilliant at keeping them out which catches the eye. I like my keepers a bit different, they need to be brave, commanding, good at corners and set pieces, vocal and good at distribution including coming out the box. Those are the fundamentals of goalkeepers all of which DDG is poor at and Henderson is the polar opposite. Henderson is a very good shot stopper too….
I have never seen this fantasy version of Henderson you’re talking about. I only see the one who looks like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. He looks so nervous he makes me nervous just watching him.

Litch

I have never seen this fantasy version of Henderson you’re talking about. I only see the one who looks like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. He looks so nervous he makes me nervous just watching him.
Oh he exist, no fantasy despite your nervous condition.

Oranges038

6 months ago, DDG didn't save shit either and missed the decisive kick. Amazingly Ole was bashed on here for not replacing him for the spot kicks with Henderson. Yet, I'd have to check but I'd say a lot of the people in here slating Henderson were doing that too.

I like Henderson, he offers more than DDG his passing is better and his all round game is better. But DDG adds to his youtube clips every week and that's all people seem to care about.

He was poor for the goal, and for the pens it looks to me like he's decided which way he's gooing early and when it goes the other way he just drops. Pretty much every goalkeeper who picks the wrong side does that.

Either way, if Henderson isn't going to replace DDG, someone else will have to.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
People are being overly harsh criticising him for yesterday and in general. He's a perfectly good keeper. And last season when De Gea wasn't playing particularly well being a perfectly good keeper was enough to present him as at least arguably the best keeper for us going forward.

But this season De Gea is on course to save approx. 17 goals above average through sheer shot-stopping form. Even taking De Gea's other weaknesses into account, Henderson can't compete with that. So it is what it is.

De Gea's form won't last and once it dimishes we'll once again need to consider more rounded keepers. But for now Henderson is done as even a speculative #1 here. And really we should use the window provided by De Gea's resurgence in form to identify a better long term replacement for him anyway.

lsd

The Oracle

Please tell me exactly what that has to do with Henderson last night?

Yakuza_devils

Some of us are not Henderson fan boys - some of us are just De gea haters who cant stand his one ability in goal.
Not sure why you can "hate" one of our best players. That "one ability" made him one of the best goalkeeper in the world and he is still one of the best in PL.

He deserve to be No. 1 on merit. His overall ability is better than Henderson. Many of the saves from him this season was simply world class.

youngrell

Boro’s pens were good, and most of them likely not saved by any keeper, but it was the pathetic attempts to even a) work out where the ball was going and b) try to bloody save them.

Woeful effort and puts into perspective the absolute hell the fans give De Gea and Ole after the EL final shootout.

Oranges038

I blame Ole. He should have brought on Dean.
The higest paid GK in the world couldn't save 1 of 11 penalties...
Shuffle your way back to Spain, De Gea, you fecking joke of a keeper.

Go back to Molde, Solksjaer, you fecking coward.
Well, a whole other level of embarrassment unlocked.. De Gea doing all sorts of mind tricks at every single penalty kock while being nowhere near any of them.
Would have subbed De Gea as a strategy. Ah well. We should have won it in regular time. So I don't blame David.
The goalkeeper who earns £350k per week costs us again
Dave has some kind of hold over the club or something. It's clear the guy cannot save pens. You have to be ruthless and put Henderson in the goal - not worry about De Gea's feelings. It's a cup game, and everyone knows you might get a pen shootout. Just play the goal keeper who will give you the best chance.

Love Ole but this was a shit move.

Anyway it is what it is.
You need some balls to manage United and he left on the worst penalty saver I can think of. Say what you like about LVG, he brought Krull on because he was a better keeper for penalties. Utter bottle job.
Feck. Wrong keeper for penalties.
This United team in a nutshell. Soft goal following errors by DDG, Pogba and Lindelof, and an entirely predictable DDG penalty horror show after Ole failed to see the obvious and bring Henderson on. Feck the lot of them.

Penny for Henderson's thoughts tonight...
DDG can feck off.

Ole didn't lose the match. A 1-1 is a draw, not a defeat, last time I checked out.

When your GK is unable to save a single penalty out of 11, and misses his shot, you know he needs to feck off from this club. Aloof looking has-been.
De Gea deserves to lose his spot to Henderson next season, even if overall he's still a better keeper. At least penalty shootouts won't be a forgone conclusion for us!
I was really hoping to see Henderson for the penalties. I knew DDG wouldn't save any, it's never been his thing.

But regardless of that, this isn't on DDG by any margin. Should have put this to the bed in 90 mins. God knows what we were doing. No subs, no tactics, just send the players out and hope for the best. Pathetic.
the right one was sitting on the bench
He hasn't proven to be absolute dogshit at them, as De Gea has countless times. I'd have fecking Lee Grant in for pens over De Gea.
He has a point, to be honest.

At the end, he probably should have brought on Henderson. De Gea has a terrible penalty record and hasn't saved one since 2016. Henderson has saved six in that time, despite barely playing in 16/17. He only really started playing regularly in 17/18.
Why De Gea was on to save penalties I will never understand. He's the worst goaltender in Europe at it.

I am so heartwrenchenngly gutted. I'll take a week or two break from this place and football.
No they are not. It's about technique and mentality. De Gea lacks both.
De Gea didn’t save penalties when he was in 2015-2018 god mode. It’s just not him. Which makes it even more baffling that Henderson didn’t play.
De Gea, what an absolute bottler. Let everyone down singlehandedly with his weak hands and week feet and week mentality. Time to step down
Ole and DDG single handily threw this game.
Ole- not making any subs till the 100th minute or so.
DDG- reasons I stated in my last post
I can`t see, De Gea ever saving a penalty again. He has not saved one out of the last 36 penalties against him. No top club can have a keeper, who is that bad at saving penalties. It is not a small part of the game.
He's the highest paid goalie in the world who had to save 1 of 11 penalties. He didn't come close on most, even though he was off the line on half of them.
Rashford was poor, Pogba was poor, Mctomminay looked more likely to create something than Pogba. Bruno was marked out of the game and we had no plan to deal with that.

Subs were late and inappropriate. Rashford should have come off, Greenwood should have stayed, Taunzebe should have come on earlier.

Finally Henderson should have been in for the penalties.
Imagine going into penalties with DDG, did he save more than 5 penalties in his life i wonder.

Also, dunno why people bitching that we lost, winning shit stopped being important in here for some time now.
When you keep playing underperformers like Rashford, Pogba and DDG then eventually it's going to kick you in the butt.
There was no game plan. Other than "throw all the good players out and hope we win by a piece of brilliance".

Doesn't even matter. They made 5 subs in the 90 minutes. We made none. We made subs for penalties and gave up any hope of winning in ET before ET even kicked off. And we didn't make the single most important change if winning a penalty shootout was the aim - taking off De Gea.

Ole is clueless about how to affect a game of football.
Final game of the season.. and every issues weve had in 20/21 was blaring. We need to improve set pieces. We need to move on degea because hes spineless. We need more quality.. and we need more tactical set ups against parked busses
A pine cone would be more useful than De Gea at penalities. How many has he saved since that one vs van Persie?
Had to go back and get some of stuff said about DDG and the pens affer the Europa League final.

Most of the Boro penalties were very well hit and pretty much unsaveable in that wet even if he did guess right.

Just for reference Peter Schemeichel only ever saved 1 penalty for Man Utd.

lsd

The Oracle
Boro’s pens were good, and most of them likely not saved by any keeper, but it was the pathetic attempts to even a) work out where the ball was going and b) try to bloody save them.

Woeful effort and puts into perspective the absolute hell the fans give De Gea and Ole after the EL final shootout.

Can you imagine what posters would be saying here if De Gea did what Henderson was doing during that penalty shootout?

Just weakly flopping down to his knee before the ball was kicked

Zlatattack

Had to go back and get some of stuff said about DDG and the pens affer the Europa League final.

Most of the Boro penalties were very well hit and pretty much unsaveable in that wet even if he did guess right.

What a save it was. Remember it to this day.

slyadams

Feck me how long did this post take you?!

Josh 76

Probably because the opposition never got into our penalty box often to get them!

Those days seem a lifetime ago. I feel so privileged to have lived me young adult life through that era. Thank you god!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Checked to see if you had criticised De Gea at the time but tbf:

Didn't De Gea also save one in a FA cup semi final?

Doesn't matter when he saved them, fact is he only saved 3, I don't ever remember him bring criticised for it.

I really don't think penalty saving is worthy criticism. He's saved 11 out of 64 he's faced professionally. That's nearly a one in six record. Buffon has almost a 1 in 3 record, VDS record is similar to De Gea.
Full marks for consistency.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Any pen will look quality when the keeper literally just collapses in place like a puppet with its strings cut. Many of those pens were perfectly ordinary shots, but Henderson just made no attempt whatsoever to save them.
Perfectly ordinary shots placed in top corners with power, yes :lol:

Oranges038

Checked to see if you had criticised De Gea at the time but tbf:

Full marks for consistency.
I have been critical of him plenty. Genuinely don't see why people are overly critical of goalkeepers penalty saving. Last night, much like the Europa league final. Should never have gone that far.

Actually found this one of Big Pete saving another one in a shootout from Frank Sinclair, then saving the rebound and offering him a third attempt. 97 charity shield it was.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He should have saved the 2nd penalty, went under him. The other pens were excellent and all in the corners. Not much a keeper can do with those.

His performance in the full game was fine, nothing special, he didn't really have anything to do for the most part and when called upon did it fine. His distribution was decent.

youngrell

Can you imagine what posters would be saying here if De Gea did what Henderson was doing during that penalty shootout?

Just weakly flopping down to his knee before the ball was kicked
To be fair, De Gea did that himself a few times but that’s neither here nor there. At least we know Henderson isn’t the one and can move him on as he wishes.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He’s our best sweeper keeper and his distribution is better than DDG, this isn’t new Info. You must be watching a different game to me if you think that goal was down to a goalkeeping error.
Do you think he did well to come up and nullify the attack? He caught himself in no mans land, so yes I do put part of the blame for him making no decision and leave an open goal.

You either come out and make yourself big, or you stick to your line and give yourself a chance against either a shot or a cross to the other side. He did neither.

hobbers

Think yesterday proved Henderson is equally shit at saving pens as De Gea.

Love watching a cocky keeper end up just falling to his knees every time instead of even diving the wrong way.

lsd

The Oracle
Think yesterday proved Henderson is equally shit at saving pens as De Gea.

Love watching a cocky keeper end up just falling to his knees every time instead of even diving the wrong way.

What's gets me is what they are doing in training.

Surely if in every training session they just flop to one side before the ball is kicked they would be called out for it.

This can't be what they are told to do is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.