g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Dean Henderson image 26

Dean Henderson England flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

6 months ago, DDG didn't save shit either and missed the decisive kick. Amazingly Ole was bashed on here for not replacing him for the spot kicks with Henderson. Yet, I'd have to check but I'd say a lot of the people in here slating Henderson were doing that too.

I like Henderson, he offers more than DDG his passing is better and his all round game is better. But DDG adds to his youtube clips every week and that's all people seem to care about.

He was poor for the goal, and for the pens it looks to me like he's decided which way he's gooing early and when it goes the other way he just drops. Pretty much every goalkeeper who picks the wrong side does that.

Either way, if Henderson isn't going to replace DDG, someone else will have to.
I guess it’s all about opinions and it’s absolutely laughable that at 24 years old that people are writing the lad off already. The irony is they did exactly the same about DDG at his age’ish.

Litch

Do you think he did well to come up and nullify the attack? He caught himself in no mans land, so yes I do put part of the blame for him making no decision and leave an open goal.

You either come out and make yourself big, or you stick to your line and give yourself a chance against either a shot or a cross to the other side. He did neither.
There were a number of things that played out for that goal but I guess it’s all about opinions, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Andersons Dietician

Am I the only one that thinks he looks tiny? Like Degea is quite slender but he at least gives the impression he fills a goal. Hendo just looks quite small when you see him trying to look big for the player walking to the pen spot.

lsd

The Oracle
I guess it’s all about opinions and it’s absolutely laughable that at 24 years old that people are writing the lad off already. The irony is they did exactly the same about DDG at his age’ish.

Who was writing De Gea off at 24? He was the best in the world then

United in sin

Am I the only one that thinks he looks tiny? Like Degea is quite slender but he at least gives the impression he fills a goal. Hendo just looks quite small when you see him trying to look big for the player walking to the pen spot.
He's quite tiny in goal indeed, I've always thought so. That aside I don't see him getting that number one slot here

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
a typical massive overrated local player.
Pretty much this. One of many academy players who fans would not want near United if they are playing somewhere else.
It is our thing i guess. If player is young and local he is new Giggs, Beckham, Scholes, Neville etc....
Juve, Pool, City, Chelsea, Real, Bayern..; they produce one player for first team every 2 or 3 years (and that player gets a chance) but we think that every academy player's destiny is to play for Man Utd for at least few seasons.
Truth is that in last 10 years we produced only two players who have quality for United; Greenwood and Rashford.

To be clear; i am delusional regarding some players too. I thought that Chong is a new big thing and now i think that Mejbri is future first 11 player. As i said; it is our thing based on success of class '92

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Dave with his 19 was first choice gk in Atletico and even then he was labelled as one of the most talented gks in the world. Henderson is 24 ffs. With 24 he is not finished product by all means but for player who is 24 you can see is he good enough or not. Henderson doesn't show any trait in which he is something special. Except those imaginary traits like good in shouting, commanding an area and great sweeper keeper.

His level is midtable PL club

Litch

Dave with his 19 was first choice gk in Atletico and even then he was labelled as one of the most talented gks in the world. Henderson is 24 ffs. With 24 he is not finished product by all means but for player who is 24 you can see is he good enough or not. Henderson doesn't show any trait in which he is something special. Except those imaginary traits like good in shouting, commanding an area and great sweeper keeper.

For me on forums, the discussions gets polarised to for someone to get good, someone has to be bad. When someone makes the comment ’that at 24 you can see if a player is good enough or not’, there is honestly no point the discussion going any further…..

Litch

Who was writing De Gea off at 24? He was the best in the world then
Wasn’t best in the world but def one of the best young talented goalkeepers. My point is it took DDG a while to settle and people questioned whether he was physical and mentally up for the demands of the PL.….I like Henderson, seen a lot of him and as a goalkeeper myself, I rate him and I think so do Utd and England. I’ve no issue if people don’t, football is all about opinions.

lsd

The Oracle
Wasn’t best in the world but def one of the best young talented goalkeepers. My point is it took DDG a while to settle and people questioned whether he was physical and mentally up for the demands of the PL.….I like Henderson, seen a lot of him and as a goalkeeper myself, I rate him and I think so do Utd and England. I’ve no issue if people don’t, football is all about opinions.

De gea was the best goalkeeper in the world at that age. I have no idea why you are trying to compare the two of them at 24. There is no comparison. Real were desperate to buy De Gea that year he was without doubt the best goalkeeper.

As for taking time to settle he was 20 not 24 when we signed him went straight into the team had a couple of issues yes coming to a foriegn league but there was never any doubting his talent which he soon proved and continues to do so.

Trying to suggest Henderson is even remotely comparable to De Gea is ridiculous in my opinion. They are worlds apart Henderson has shown no amazing quality at all bar boasting how good he is yet not backing it up.

Mickson

He's very soon 25 as well! In a couple of weeks if my memory serves me right.

Henderson is a good keeper and most certainly PL level, but I think he's in the Ben Foster mold. Many thought Foster would (and should've) taken over from VDS. Maybe he's a little bit better than Foster even. I think he can be good enough for a PL team who finishes 5-8 but not good enough to be what United aspire to be.

Pickle85

He's very soon 25 as well! In a couple of weeks if my memory serves me right.

Henderson is a good keeper and most certainly PL level, but I think he's in the Ben Foster mold. Many thought Foster would (and should've) taken over from VDS. Maybe he's a little bit better than Foster even. I think he can be good enough for a PL team who finishes 5-8 but not good enough to be what United aspire to be.
This sums it up for me. Foster is a decent comparison.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
We had best no2 in PL and one of the best no1. But then our top class manager decided to brake only thing which was great.
Ole trying to make Hendo as no1 just because he is from academy was absolute disaster. We lost great no2 and unsettled no1.
I don't think is unsettled him, I think it kicked him up the arse to get better
Me three

arthurka

Thought he did well made one great save and couple really solid interventions. His kicking and distribution is much better than DDG and he isn't glued to three line. He could have been the hero if he hasn't been in the air before the penalty taker kicked the ball. There is a good keeper there for sure but he needs to start to play regularly.

Litch

De gea was the best goalkeeper in the world at that age. I have no idea why you are trying to compare the two of them at 24. There is no comparison. Real were desperate to buy De Gea that year he was without doubt the best goalkeeper.

As for taking time to settle he was 20 not 24 when we signed him went straight into the team had a couple of issues yes coming to a foriegn league but there was never any doubting his talent which he soon proved and continues to do so.

Trying to suggest Henderson is even remotely comparable to De Gea is ridiculous in my opinion. They are worlds apart Henderson has shown no amazing quality at all bar boasting how good he is yet not backing it up.
First it’s a matter of opinion, not a science and no one has the monopoly of knowledge on here. If we had we would be being paid to share it than challenging it on a Sunday morning.

Im not making a direct comparison and thought that I didn’t have to explain that one player was English and the other Spanish etc. My point was neither came into the team the finished article but both were seen as very talented young goalkeepers but took time to settle. If you think DDG was without criticism at 24, you clearly weren’t watching Utd games or international games. For periods, DDG wasn’t the Spanish no 1, hard to be the best in the world when you aren’t for your international team but that’s not my point.

Some people get so defensive, not saying DDG isn’t or wasn’t good, just they were both talented young goalkeepers with different attributes. I think Henderson’s a better all round keeper in every department aside from reflex saves. DDG has been the best in the world at that for a long time…..more than happy for someone to tell me that DDG’s ability at corners, distribution, one on one, starting position or even bravely is better than Henderson.

Pickle85

First it’s a matter of opinion, not a science and no one has the monopoly of knowledge on here. If we had we would be being paid to share it than challenging it on a Sunday morning.

Im not making a direct comparison and thought that I didn’t have to explain that one player was English and the other Spanish etc. My point was neither came into the team the finished article but both were seen as very talented young goalkeepers but took time to settle. If you think DDG was without criticism at 24, you clearly weren’t watching Utd games or international games. For periods, DDG wasn’t the Spanish no 1, hard to be the best in the world when you aren’t for your international team but that’s not my point.

Some people get so defensive, not saying DDG isn’t or wasn’t good, just they were both talented young goalkeepers with different attributes. I think Henderson’s a better all round keeper in every department aside from reflex saves. DDG has been the best in the world at that for a long time…..more than happy for someone to tell me that DDG’s ability at corners, distribution, one on one, starting position or even bravely is better than Henderson.
Comparing ddg and Henderson at the same age is mental. Tbf, comparing them even now is mental. Henderson isn't half the keeper ddg was in his prime and he's not even close now imo. The only area he has a significant edge is on corners.

Jackal981

Comparing ddg and Henderson at the same age is mental. Tbf, comparing them even now is mental. Henderson isn't half the keeper ddg was in his prime and he's not even close now imo. The only area he has a significant edge is on corners.
Idk why that poster is hellbent defending Henderson like its his dad or something. Anyway on topic, Henderson can only dream of making saves that DDG make weekly for us (even though he's not in his prime anymore). The only thing Henderson is better is corners.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He was the best. He is 31 now. Do the math yourselves.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I think it’s worth moving on from DdG and backing Henderson as our number 1 for next season.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Seriously?
One on one? That is De gea's best quality after reflexes. On the other hand, you have seen some goals that Hendo conceded on one on one (Salah comes first on my mind, then City in LC, Turkish team in CL...).
Positioning? You noticed how many shots go straight in Dave? It is not luck, it is because he knows how position himself on the line.

Same talented gks? Where is exactly talent in Henderson? In what exactly he is excellent?

JB7

To be fair DDG isn't half the goalkeeper he was in his prime either so it's not unreasonable to compare the two.

When DDG makes a couple of the relatively straight forward decent saves that Henderson made in the game Friday night and people on here cream themselves and declare how "we'd have been battered if not for him", yet when Henderson does exact the same it's all about how he isn't good enough at x, y, z - essentially as if certain people have their minds made up before he even steps on the field.

As for the guy trying to claim one on ones is DDG's second biggest quality, fecking comical.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
To be fair DDG isn't half the goalkeeper he was in his prime either so it's not unreasonable to compare the two.

When DDG makes a couple of the relatively straight forward decent saves that Henderson made in the game Friday night and people on here cream themselves and declare how "we'd have been battered if not for him", yet when Henderson does exact the same it's all about how he isn't good enough at x, y, z - essentially as if certain people have their minds made up before he even steps on the field.

As for the guy trying to claim one on ones is DDG's second biggest quality, fecking comical.
What is comical in that? You have watched Dave all these years, right?

JB7

What is comical in that? You have watched Dave all these years, right?
Yes, week in week out and he's dreadful in one on one situations. Doesn't narrow the angle properly or make himself big by coming to the ball, compounds the issue by diving backwards more often than not so if he can't use his feet he isn't saving it and it's a skill he's actually been getting considerably worse at over recent years rather than better.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I’d say DdG and Henderson are pretty much at similar levels now. At least Henderson is a bit more proactive in the box and stronger at corners and balls in.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I’d say DdG and Henderson are pretty much at similar levels now. At least Henderson is a bit more proactive in the box and stronger at corners and balls in.
I don't see any evidence that they're about the same level at all this season. de Gea has been back to his best and Henderson has played about 3 games and been...fine.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think it’s worth moving on from DdG and backing Henderson as our number 1 for next season.
If you move on from DDG it can’t be so that Henderson is number 1, can it? Personally I thought you should have sold DH last summer. I think Maignon would have been the ideal replacement for De Gea and was a good price.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Statistically De Gea is having his best-ever season in terms of shot-stopping. The time for arguing Henderson is the better option is dead while De Gea is in this form.

Which we should take as a big positive, because it allows us to target a better goalkeeper than Henderson to ultimately replace De Gea.

Henderson is good but realistically the only reason he got posited as a potential United #1 when he did was because we already owned him and De Gea was in poor form. Had that not been the case, nobody would have been crying out for us to sign Dean Henderson as our next #1 off the back of one good season in the PL.

Now De Gea's resurgence in form has bought us time to actually get the best possible long-term replacement we can find.

spiriticon

He was progressing well at Sheffield United. Signing a new deal with us fecked him over. Bad life choice for him I would say, but I'm sure that 100k a week helps him sleep at night. He should go and get regular first team football.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I don't see any evidence that they're about the same level at all this season. de Gea has been back to his best and Henderson has played about 3 games and been...fine.
I disagree. DdG makes great saves and he’s always been a great shot stopper. It’s the other parts of his game which have been lacking and have been lacking for a long time. Henderson is also very good at shot stopping but he’s better at DdG in other areas.

I’ve felt that DdG is a bit passive and sticks to his line. I don’t get that same vibe with Henderson.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
If you move on from DDG it can’t be so that Henderson is number 1, can it? Personally I thought you should have sold DH last summer. I think Maignon would have been the ideal replacement for De Gea and was a good price.
I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Henderson so far. I’d like to give him a season to prove his worth - obviously if it’s shambolic end it asap, but he’s done enough to warrant a chance.

Pickle85

I genuinely struggle to think of games that anyone could point to where Henderson has saved us.

JB7

Statistically De Gea is having his best-ever season in terms of shot-stopping. The time for arguing Henderson is the better option is dead while De Gea is in this form.

Which we should take as a big positive, because it allows us to target a better goalkeeper than Henderson to ultimately replace De Gea.

Henderson is good but realistically the only reason he got posited as a potential United #1 when he did was because we already owned him and De Gea was in poor form. Had that not been the case, nobody would have been crying out for us to sign Dean Henderson as our next #1 off the back of one good season in the PL.

Now De Gea's resurgence in form has bought us time to actually get the best possible long-term replacement we can find.
Firstly, this is absolutely not DDGs best ever season. Not even close. The number of goals he has been at least partially at fault for has been ridiculous. He is nowhere near "his best" and has been a big problem in our team but people seem to think jumping around is all it takes to be a goalkeeper, as shown by the ridiculous "highlight" reel put together for the PL player of the month video. Reminder in case you haven't seen it: Neves looping volley which would be a basic save for anyone taller than 5ft 6, Buendia header which is straight at him, two shots from Jenson which were terrible finishes and a header back at our own goal that was going wide. What a terrible month of football is those were the best moments of the best player in the league that month.

The second point I take issue is the "nobody would have been crying out for us to sign Dean Henderson as our next #1 off the back of one good season in the PL" comment, as it is ignorant to all other levels of English football where he had been exceptional in loans in each of the three seasons prior as well. So in essence if a young player has excelled in successive seasons in League 2, League 1, Championship and then the PL then yes I would expect Manchester United to be looking at them as that is a remarkable level of progress.

I genuinely struggle to think of games that anyone could point to where Henderson has saved us.
You have clearly misread my post. Henderson made a couple of decent saves (that you would expect him to make, this isn't praising him) on Friday - DDG has been given MOTM for less this season and had everyone on here saying he'd "saved us" for making saves no better than those. Its a double standard.

phelans shorts

I disagree. DdG makes great saves and he’s always been a great shot stopper. It’s the other parts of his game which have been lacking and have been lacking for a long time. Henderson is also very good at shot stopping but he’s better at DdG in other areas.

I’ve felt that DdG is a bit passive and sticks to his line. I don’t get that same vibe with Henderson.
Meanwhile we went out of the cup on Friday after Henderson ran out sillily and cost us a goal because he was stuck in no mans land.

This isn’t blaming him for the defeat, that’s on the strikers, but he is absolutely a large factor in that goal going in.

Classical Mechanic

Think yesterday proved Henderson is equally shit at saving pens as De Gea.

Love watching a cocky keeper end up just falling to his knees every time instead of even diving the wrong way.
It didn't though. Henderson's record at penalties in terms of percentage saved is up there with the best. It may transpire as Henderson faces more penalties at a higher level in his career that his early excellent save rate was statistical noise. That said not saving 7 penalties in a row is not enough evidence to say that he is as bad as DDG who went 5 years and 41 penalties without saving one recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.