Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindhunter

Aye, he should. In all the individual stats last season he was streets ahead of DDG. He played 20 less games than DDG, the team won more games, conceded less chances, less goals and kept more clean sheets in 20 less games.

It all depends on whether you prefer to have a keeper that overall concedes less chances and less than a goal a game and keeps more clean sheets or a keeper that concedes more chances and over a goal (almost 2 this season) a game. Whether you prefer a guy who actually suits how the team should play to the guy who is glued to his line waiting for his camera save moments.
DDG was poor at the time, no question. Henderson was better than DDG during his leanest spell for us. That still doesn't mean we promote Henderson to our long-term number 1. That will be akin to promoting our interim manager for doing better than the sacked former manager who grossly underperformed. Oh wait......

AaronRedDevil

DDG was poor at the time, no question. Henderson was better than DDG during his leanest spell for us. That still doesn't mean we promote Henderson to our long-term number 1. That will be akin to promoting our interim manager for doing better than the sacked former manager who grossly underperformed. Oh wait......
That's not even close to the same thing.

Mindhunter

That's not even close to the same thing.
Isn't it? Henderson just happens to be here when DDG is in his decline. That doesn't mean we make him permanent. I haven't seen anything from Dean that tells me that he can be a top goalkeeper for a team challenging for titles. I see another Joe Hart type of trajectory for him.

Instead we should scour Europe and get us the best goalkeeper who can be bought instead of just promoting internally (or picking from the old boys network in case of OGS) without looking at better options outside. If we look at options and Dean is the best we can do then yes, I will accept it begrudgingly.

Dante

Average bang
Isn't it? Henderson just happens to be here when DDG is in his decline. That doesn't mean we make him permanent. I haven't seen anything from Dean that tells me that he can be a top goalkeeper for a team challenging for titles. I see another Joe Hart type of trajectory for him.

Instead we should scour Europe and get us the best goalkeeper who can be bought instead of just promoting internally (or picking from the old boys network in case of OGS) without looking at better options outside. If we look at options and Dean is the best we can do then yes, I will accept it begrudgingly.
Not to mention, Rangnick is picking from his own old boys network now.

Mindhunter

Not to mention, Rangnick is picking from his own old boys network now.
Are you deliberately ignoring the point? You can pick coaches or squad players from your academy and old boys networks. Not the manager or a starting eleven player. Not for a club of our ambitions.

If Henderson is the best GK that can be bought for money in Europe to replace DDG then I am all for it. It would be incredibly lucky too to save some money. If that isn't the case, why should we settle for less and not target the best out there? Just because Henderson is in the team and better than typical second choice goalkeepers?

Promoting Henderson will be equal to kicking the can down the road.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
feck De Gea.

During corners I'm literally watching that with my eyes closed because it's just a pure gamble what happens.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Would be good for him to become more of a modern keeper, better at playing with the ball at his feet, playing behind a high line of defense.

For Ajax this move makes little sense, he is worse than Onana, not that much better than Pasveer on current form, not an Ajax style goalkeeper, and Ajax will never buy him for the money United will ask.

Same time, maybe Ten Hag does like him.
Indeed, can't see a single reason why Ajax would want him. Not that he's a bad keeper, but doesn't make any sense as a loan deal

JB7

No is saying he should automatically be the long term first choice. There is a difference between saying he should currently be number 1 and saying he should permanently be the number 1.

De Gea is absolutely not the future, he shouldn't even be the present because his reluctance to leave his line creates panic in the defence every time we play. Henderson, based on everything we saw last season and particularly what we saw on Sunday with us playing large periods of the game with 10 players in the opposition half, should be the present and if he does well then he earns the long term, if he doesn't then we move on.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
feck De Gea.

During corners I'm literally watching that with my eyes closed because it's just a pure gamble what happens.
That one where de Gea palmed it up into the air and then retreated to his line to let his centre backs figure out was the last of many straws with him. Go up and claim it you fanny.

Not to mention the long cross that he back peddled for and decided to palm over when it was a down his throat catch ... I don't know how he can inspire confidence anymore.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I have a fair bit of sympathy towards the idea that we'd be a better side overall with Henderson in the team rather than De Gea as he simply prevents more chances from occurring. There's no real disputing that fact.

At the same time, De Gea was in mediocre form last season but Henderson didn't exactly seize the opportunity with both hands. And while he was certainly unlucky to be hit by Covid at the start of the season, if Rangnick (who plays a system that you'd think would make him well aware of the upsides to having a keeper less stuck to his line) also feels that De Gea is the better option come January then there's probably a reason for that.

In truth if Henderson hadn't already been a United player then there's zero chance we'd have looked towards him as a potential United #1 off the back of one strong PL season at Sheffield United. De Gea's collapse in form and the fact that he was already at the club opened that opportunity for him rather than anything he particularly did.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That one where de Gea palmed it up into the air and then retreated to his line to let his centre backs figure out was the last of many straws with him. Go up and claim it you fanny.

Not to mention the long cross that he back peddled for and decided to palm over when it was a down his throat catch ... I don't know how he can inspire confidence anymore.
Yeah like personally, It's not like I want Henderson over De gea because I see him as our future GK for the next decade..(if he becomes good enough then fair enough but not seeing it yet)

It's that he is more allrounded as a goalkeeper than De Gea. When Henderson was our goalkeeper it felt like our defence and whole team got better, even if Henderson's on the line reflexes are not good as De Gea's. I saw this with Romero too during our Europa League campaigns.

When De Gea is on the line doing everything with his really good reflexes - it also kind of feels like our defence are having to do things on their reflexes too.

De gea has felt to me like a really old virus or bacterial mould from our SAF team that people won't realise that when he is chucked out of the team - just how much of a difference that will make.

The way he is viewed in Spain is a big highlight to this.

Oranges038

Not even remotely similar.

DDG is coming off the back of 3 very poor seasons. This season he's making saves that he wasn't last year that is all. Every other flaw is still magnified and has cost many goals this season. De Gea being rooted to his line is a cause of a lot of problems and uncertainty at the back. Not to mention that he sucks the whole team back 20/30 yards. When you are trying to convert turnovers into attack it is more difficult to do that when you are starting from 20 yards outside your own goal. The opposition has more time to get bodies back and get in shape to stop it. There is no way you can play a high line with slow CBs and a keeper rooted to his line, it doesn't work at any level.

I don't know if Henderson is a long term sustainable option, there's only one way to find out. If you are looking at the keepers at the club, which one is suited to playing behind a high line to enable a higher press and which one has the most positive influence on the team and defence as a whole, then Henderson is the one who should be playing.

Also as has been pointed out so many times before, it's all part of why he's been replaced by Simon for Spain.

Longshanks

Are you deliberately ignoring the point? You can pick coaches or squad players from your academy and old boys networks. Not the manager or a starting eleven player. Not for a club of our ambitions.

If Henderson is the best GK that can be bought for money in Europe to replace DDG then I am all for it. It would be incredibly lucky too to save some money. If that isn't the case, why should we settle for less and not target the best out there? Just because Henderson is in the team and better than typical second choice goalkeepers?

Promoting Henderson will be equal to kicking the can down the road.
So you can't pick a starting 11 player from the academy? Where do these starting 11 players come from do they all have to come from a someone else's academy? Or do they have a foreign name and be from somewhere exotic?

Henderson deserves his chance, he may not be the future but he certainly deserves a chance to proove it either way, hopefully he gets a long run in the side and we get to see whether he is good enough or not. If not than he moves on and we go looking for a top quality GK. Which is a very difficult posistion to buy for.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Think he might suit the high press aspect of the team this season compared to ddg. Fine by me we looked more solid defensively last season with him in. Not saying he's good enough long term.

tomaldinho1

Think he might suit the high press aspect of the team this season compared to ddg. Fine by me we looked more solid defensively last season with him in. Not saying he's good enough long term.
Exactly this. We know DDG isn’t really a modern keeper and despite being a lot better this season, it doesn’t change the fact he’s never really recovered from the 18 WC. He significantly changes how our CBs have to play as he is an elite shot stopper who rarely leaves his box or claims contested balls.

Henderson might well not be good enough but I’d rather a 6/10 goalkeeper who complements our tactics and makes us better as a team, than an 8/10 keeper who is better individually but makes us weaker overall. Plus Henderson might surprise us and be as good as he was hyped to be.

arthurka

We went on a run of his results and clean sheets last year when Dean stepped in for DDG. DDG has leaked 24 goals in 15 matches this season 5th worst in the league. That defensive unit is shambolic and he is a big part of that. I would give Dean a chance because we might actually have a decent keeper on our hands while DDG has already shown us that he just isn't anywhere near good enough.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Exactly this. We know DDG isn’t really a modern keeper and despite being a lot better this season, it doesn’t change the fact he’s never really recovered from the 18 WC. He significantly changes how our CBs have to play as he is an elite shot stopper who rarely leaves his box or claims contested balls.

Henderson might well not be good enough but I’d rather a 6/10 goalkeeper who complements our tactics and makes us better as a team, than an 8/10 keeper who is better individually but makes us weaker overall. Plus Henderson might surprise us and be as good as he was hyped to be.
Well said, I think ddg has a bit of nostalgic favouritism by the fans. Henderson hasn't done much wrong at all as far as I can tell.

lex talionis

I'm all for giving Henderson match time, but he's clearly nowhere near the class of De Gea. If you don't mind us shipping in goals De Gea regularly saves, by all means let's give the gloves to Henderson.

Swiss_Red89

Would also prefer him to DeGea these days. I think Dean did a good job last season when given the chance (expect the Liverpool game) and was only unlucky to be hit with Covid in summer. Otherwise I feel he would have started the season as number one.

DeGea has improved his saves stats this season though. But I just don't have confidence anymore seeing him in goal.

Alemar

DDG has leaked 24 goals in 15 matches this season 5th worst in the league.
But how many leaked goals were the mistakes of de Gea? In fact, he saved a lot of difficult shots this year and makes good saves nearly every game.

Defence was in terrible form, but de Gea himself plays well this year.

goodman organelles

But how many leaked goals were the mistakes of de Gea? In fact, he saved a lot of difficult shots this year and makes good saves nearly every game.

Depends on how you define “played well”.
Personally I don’t think he has had a particularly good season. He’s improved on the last three seasons but that’s not say too much as he was staggeringly awful.
I feel that due to his past exploits and our lowered standards that we now claim he is doing well just because he is not throwing them in the net every game.
He has made some good saves. That really is the minimum to be expected as he is the highest paid goalkeeper in the world and doesn’t offer much more than shot stopping.
I cant rate him as having played well this season when he is still glued to his line, concedes at his near post at far too high a rate, still makes too many mistakes or concedes soft goals, doesn’t organise his defence or control his box.
Shot stopping is the absolute minimum a goalkeeper does. If they can’t do that they wouldn’t be a professional goalkeeper in the first place. It’s the other aspects of the role that make a keeper great and it is very underrated and undervalued the effect it can have on the team.
It’s time to move on from De Gea. We can love him for what he’s done in the past but his style of play just isn’t fit for the modern game at the highest level.

arthurka

You know the goalkeeper is a huge part of any defense?

DDG is soft, doesn't organise the defense, hugs the line, doesn't offer any kind of sweeping, poor distribution and often drops the easier ones. DDG is always good for a TV save though.

Add all of that together we could say we are paying him far too much money and I would love to see us playing with a good all-rounder in goal.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We don’t have such a goalkeeper in our squad, so it’s logical to play the best GK we have.
Henderson does seem to be more of an all-rounder than De Gea, even if he's not particularly well-rounded himself. He also does seem to be pushing himself to use all aspects which will hopefully see him improve those things he's not currently great at, which is something De Gea never seemed to do.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Gentlemen. David has been the least of our problems this year. By all means express your preference for Henderson but DDG has been mostly excellent this term.

lex talionis

Delighted to see Henderson get the start tonight. Dave has been outstanding this season, however, and we'd be daft to even think about ditching him.

Kag

He’ll end the season as #1.

He knew what he was doing with the sweeping and he knows that being proactive will get him in the team.

united for life

I hope he stays at the club. He is a good goal keeper and offers a lot in the air and can actually sweep. He’s still young for a goal keeper and hopefully will only improve.

good game today

Milo2035

No club would buy De Gea but he's a decent choice on bench. Dean should be our #1.

Swiss_Red89

Looked calm, secure and confident. Liked that performance. I feel Ralf will give him a game in the PL during the christmas period.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Was fine, as he pretty much always has been. At worst he's a perfectly solid PL-level goalkeeper.

Oranges038

Solid game.

Good sweeping, claiming high balls, good hands as well in a few that others might parry.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ok, so this guy is not the answer. I love the way he sweeps up behind the defence but he’s no more comfortable than DDG with the ball at his feet. Which is to say not comfortable at all. Plus those booming punts straight back to the opposition are so 1980s.

kundalini

I thought Henderson performed well tonight. Came out of his area to clear danger.

Idxomer

He can't kick the ball properly, he's like a poor man's Pickford.

Status
Not open for further replies.