Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

Sweet Square

Yeah. Feels like it.

He's turned into the kind of keeper who annoys me. Stupid mistakes after stupid mistakes, all while he's making acrobatic saves.
He basically cost us top 4 last season with a feck up against Chelsea right ?

I'm at the point where I feel sorry for him. He must know that's he's finished at the highest level and at least from now on, any points he costs us in the league or Europa is in my mind the fault of Ole. Dave mistakes are just to costly to remain anywhere near the first team. If Ole wants the job long term then Dave can't be here next season.

The mistake today reminded me of Tories open goal miss against us. Sad to see tbh.

Last edited:

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
Sorry David, you've been a wonderful amazing keeper for us, but the mistakes seem to be creeping in far too quickly. I agree with others. We're gonna win feck all anyway, give the young lad a chance

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Genuine question, who buys? Only Barca would be sumbe enough to throw money at a poor 30 y/o keeper on €350k/week.

Do PSG need a keeper?
My hopes are on PSG and Juve :D. Maybe Atleti too will need Oblak replacement? Although they won't be able to afford current DDG wages.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Sorry David, you've been a wonderful amazing keeper for us, but the mistakes seem to be creeping in far too quickly. I agree with others. We're gonna win feck all anyway, give the young lad a chance
I hope you are not saying we are gonna win feck all next season as per the thread title.

jesperjaap

I'm guessing lots of people haven't seen the goals Henderson has conceded? Whatever you think of De Gea, Henderson isn't the answer.
That is a good point. Henderson does look a very good young keeper, but he is still way away from the finished article and as you mention, he has let a few soft goals in too. I wouldnt see people here saying they would drop DeGea and play Nick Pope for example, who has been pretty much as good as Henderson this season.

Same token DeGea seems to have made as many match losing clangers as match winning saves this season, he has gone from near VDS levels to Barthez levels. It is something that needs to be addressed. I think if Romero hadnt of let a soft goal in the other game he may well have had the opportunities to start. Was the only poor game he has had for us.

I am not sure bringing in Henderson makes us any better in the short term such as next season....but I am also not sure it makes us much worse, especially with a very good number 2 in Romero.

If we were able to raise good funds from DeGea to help us to buy another player (as we need a quality cb, Grealish and Sancho and maybe even a dm) than I wouldnt be aversed to him being sold in all honesty which I never thought I would say. BUT with his contract and form, I am not sure who would pay big money for him anyway now? His reputation in Spain is in tatters, Navas seems to have had a good season at PSG, maybe Juve?

King Eric 7

I'd rather allocate funds to signing outfield players and just get Henderson back. It would be a gamble I guess but no more than gambling on DDG suddenly becoming a decent goalkeeper again.

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
I hope you are not saying we are gonna win feck all next season as per the thread title.
I don't know. We're definitely improving as a team but I do worry about how De Gea has seemingly started to struggle. Maybe the stats will prove me wrong and if that's the case, then fair enough, I'll accept that. It's just how I feel.

Lee565

Will Henderson be available to play in the europa league, could be a great way to test him out before the new season starts?

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
He needs to be dropped now. Let Romero finish this season including the EL games.

The thing about our goalkeepers is that none of them are terrible. Let them fight for the first spot next season, and assess if any of them deserve it long term.

How can Henderson not be ready for a chance? He’s playing for a team who have basically matched us all season! Now is the time whilst we’re not in a title race
Because there’s a different pressure playing for United.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Ddg was given the chance when he was like 20? Dean deserves his chance now.

Devil81

What's the point continuing with De Gea, I have a feeling Henderson might make the odd mistake but I actually think De Gea will make far more.

If it's supposed to be a new United it's time to change the keeper and move on from De Gea. Sell him, loan him out but for god sakes just get his negative energy out of our team.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Massive call either way. Almost a lose-lose situation for Ole and pro’s/con’s both ways.

Personally I’d go for Henderson. I think both will make mistakes next season but I’d rather back the one on the up, rather than the one on the decline.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Don't think Henderson is good enough either.
We need to buy.
This is my thinking as well (and I voted as much). Sell both of them, keep Romero as number 2 and buy Oblak

A new GK now really is more important than any other area of the pitch (once we've signed Sancho obvs)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This is a difficult situation because you still want Dean to gain experienced before putting pressure on him. It's a massive pressure to be United no 1. And if we keep him here just for reason to push DDG, we might end up stalling his development if DDG turned back into God mode. Could be a lose to lose situation and also win to win situation.

Being honest myself, I still haven't rate Dean to be no 1 England GK at the moment. To me Pope is still better. This is how much I believe Dean needs to go on loan again for more experiences and learning process.

AndyMUFC

I definitely wouldn't mind Romero coming in for the rest of the season and wouldn't even be averse to him being our number one next season while we give Henderson another season at Sheffield United, letting him know that we're expecting him to be our keeper the following season and see how he deals with it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Romero would at the very least give us sweeper ability, command the area better. He's also our only keeper who has played in the most pressured games in world football. I'd like to see him start every game from now until the end of the season.

I'd try and get rid of De Gea at the end of the season if possible. If we can get him off the wage bill and are fortunate enough to ge a fee, i'm hoping we can spend the proceeds on a DM or CB who is adept at resisting and enforcing a high press.

Red00012

Is part of the problem DDG having no competition for his position ? Whatever he does Romero is never going to dismantle him . Perhaps a healthy bit of competition next season with Henderson will either dismantle him or get him to wake the feck up ?

Revan

Assumptionman
Am I the only one who fails to see why it should be Henderson instead of Romero? Yes, I seem to have finally accepted that De Gea is not that good anymore.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
While this forum is dominated by a romantic notion that all keepers can play into their late thirties (a poster wrote that De Gea has 8 years left at the top as recently as a few days ago), the fact of the matter is that there are no guarantees about that and that Henderson is already 23.

De Gea was 21 when he joined United, Ter Stegen was 22 when he joined Barcelona, Buffon was 23 when he joined Juventus and so on. Neuer was 25 when he joined Bayern, but was already considered world class.

What I am trying to say is that I do not think that there is point into sending Henderson on loans each year in the hope that he will magically become good enough at the age of 30.

Given that De Gea has been a liability for far too long, I feel that the right thing to do would be to give Henderson a shot and, if he turns out to not be good enough, sell him.

Utdstar01

I think Henderson should be given a chance next season, he'd have to do pretty well to drop more clangers than what De Gea has this season. Could spur DDG on. We have a potentially brilliant keeper in Kovar too who could turn out to be better than both.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Is part of the problem DDG having no competition for his position ? Whatever he does Romero is never going to dismantle him . Perhaps a healthy bit of competition next season with Henderson will either dismantle him or get him to wake the feck up ?
He has been poor for a long time now but surely this is too harsh!?:D

RazorOz

This is true of pretty much every goalkeeper. What team rotates goalkeepers, pretty much every team has a #1 and when the #2 deputises they have no real chance of displacing them whatever they do so the #1 is pretty much always secure in their position barring a calamitous run of form.

I mean if Romero never gets a chance over the last few seasons he's never going to get one really given De Gea has been pretty poor for years now. De Gea always relied on being an outstanding shot stopper, but he's just making way too many errors now. What happened with Spain at the World Cup where the Spanish media were heavily critical of him and referred to him as 'The Ghost' seems to have destroyed his confidence as he's never been the same since. We are not in a great position though with the contract we gave him as it's hard to see him being happy on the bench, and hard to see how we offload him as he is on absolutely ridiculous wages.

Something needs to change though, it honestly feels like virtually every other goal we concede recently De Gea could have done better or it was just a plain terrible error.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
While this forum is dominated by a romantic notion that all keepers can play into their late thirties (a poster wrote that De Gea has 8 years left at the top as recently as a few days ago), the fact of the matter is that there are no guarantees about that and that Henderson is already 23.

De Gea was 21 when he joined United, Ter Stegen was 22 when he joined Barcelona, Buffon was 23 when he joined Juventus and so on. Neuer was 25 when he joined Bayern, but was already considered world class.

What I am trying to say is that I do not think that there is point into sending Henderson on loans each year in the hope that he will magically become good enough at the age of 30.

Given that De Gea has been a liability for far too long, I feel that the right thing to do would be to give Henderson a shot and, if he turns out to not be good enough, sell him.
The issue is that Ter Stegen, Buffon & Neuer already had lot of experiences in top league like Bundesliga, Serie A at such a young age. Dean only had 1 full year in PL comp at the moment. Age was never the issue but experienced is the issue. Lack of experience in top level can give the lad so much pressure to be no 1 giant club keeper (history tells us how many of keeper struggled in between Schmeichel & VDS era which shows not easy even for international experience keeper).

Although you could say DDG only had very little too 1.5 years in La Liga & Europa League before he joined us but I guess that little experience reflects to some of his mistakes he made in his first 2 seasons with us.

dogwithabone

I’d give serious consideration to Pope because he’s the best keeper in the PL. Sell Henderson to Sheffield, sell de Gea and that will be close on £100m. I rate the lad Ramsdale at Bournemouth too. Pope, Ramsdale and Romero would be. three top keepers all capable of challenging each other.

CM

I don't think Dean Henderson comes without his faults but the more these kinds of occurrences happen, the more it looks like de Gea is done here.

It would be a shame if it does end this way for him after genuinely being the best in the world in his position for a couple of years but this situation is becoming untenable. We made a mistake renewing his contract on such lucrative terms, I said it at the time, and now we'll probably have to live with that. I think Solskjaer knows this too, hence the doubling down with the 'best goalkeeper in the world' line. What a mess.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
No need to buy a new keeper. No need for relying on Henderson. If De Gea is to be replaced, we have the best 2nd GK in Romero who's proven himself to be reliable almost in every matches he's played. He's also immune to pressure and has played in the biggest competitions.

midnightmare

Am guessing a lot here have not seen that much of Dean Henderson or Romero. Neither is ready. And this is when neither has had the spotlight on them the way being the United #1 would, with each mistake scrutinized and making headlines. Not that I’d stick by DdG though. I was in the minority 2 years ago that felt we should have replaced him and the subsequent period has hardened my position.

That said, there’s no option but to buy. Henderson isn’t ready and he’s now at the age where you have to question whether he ever will be. Romero absolutely isn’t the answer either. Kovar is very highly rated but is way too young and also not ready, even physically.

So yeah, need to buy. DdG could well cost us even more this season than he has. Everton (H&A), Spurs and Watford errors alone see us scrambling for fourth instead of comfortably third, and pushing second. Errors again see us out of the FAC. Last season, he was one of those that contributed again to our missing Top 4. There’s no point talking about subsequent saves or other saves because every top keeper makes saves and is expected to. That’s why they are at the top clubs earning top dollar.

Another aspect is that DdG literally offers us only shot-stopping. He’s poor with distribution and poor in commanding the box. So if he’s not stopping shots better than every other keeper going, what exactly is he contributing?

Tiber

Even if I accept the point that De Gea should be on his way out, I have never understood why Henderson would be the clear choice to replace him just because he is under contract.

If you move on from De Gea because a world class keeper is vital, the shortlist needs to be a hell of a lot longer than Romero and Dean Henderson

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Even if I accept the point that De Gea should be on his way out, I have never understood why Henderson would be the clear choice to replace him just because he is under contract.

If you move on from De Gea because a world class keeper is vital, the shortlist needs to be a hell of a lot longer than Romero and Dean Henderson
The whole reason we would move De Gea at this point is to replace him with a young, English, academy product in Henderson. The only way we are going to find if he is ready is to thrust him into the limelight. The same we did with De Gea. It may not be next year but it maybe the year after if DDG’s performances continue like this. We have far more immediate concerns in outfield to be spending more money in the GK department rather than to look at a ready made replacement in Henderson.

sp_107

Henderson may not make silly mistakes like DDG but can he save other ones like DDG ?

since he is getting 400K a week it’s all going downhill for him, hope Madrid comes in for him so we can have at least 40 mil we can use on a CD but anyone can offer him 400K a week ?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Henderson may not make silly mistakes like DDG but can he save other ones like DDG ?

since he is getting 400K a week it’s all going downhill for him, hope Madrid comes in for him so we can have at least 40 mil we can use on a CD but anyone can offer him 400K a week ?
Madrid? Firstly they don’t have money. Secondly one has Courtois and the other has Oblak. No way they will be interested.

#CR7

Madrid? Firstly they don’t have money. Secondly one has Courtois and the other has Oblak. No way they will be interested.
Maybe Atletico will take him back on the cheap if they sell Oblak to Chelsea.

Considering his wages we'd probably have to let him leave for around 20 mil so he can receive a nice signing on fee at his new club.