Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
And now they criticise using stats to make a point.

#shiftthegoalposts

The agenda here is clear as day and I will no longer waste my time.

Ive exposed the agenda for what it is my work here is done.
Are you ever going to get back to me about that Reddit thread mate, you said I couldn’t pick faults with it but you went hiding when I did. It’s almost like you have an agenda or something. :wenger:

Dante

Average bang
Below is a pro coach‘s assessment of Allison before he signed for for Liverpool. Along with being a competent shot stopper he completed the most passes of any keeper in Serie A in that season, his long passing, like Ederson is especially noteworthy. He even registered an assist for Liverpool this season. His sweeper ability is also at the highest level. He registered 41 sweeping attempts in his last season in Serie A, the most in the league, 21 more than the next highest. It notes that he committed no direct big errors leading to goals In his last season in Serie A, a feat he has repeated so far this year in the Premier league which suggests top level concentration. It notes that like De Gea, his weaknesses is staying rooted to his line on set pieces, although the data for the PL suggest that he’s worked on this as only 4 keepers have successfully stopped more crosses coming in the box than him in the PL this season.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/premier-league-alisson-becker-jurgen-klopp-liverpool-salah/

How do you think DeGea performs in those other aspects of being a keeper?
Nick Pope is smashing it.

I actually quite like the xG stats, but it shouldn't be used to debate goalkeeper performance. It might be reflective in some cases, but it will normally be impacted heavily by poor (or excellent) finishing, or even the volume of chances you concede. It should be used as a rough guide of whether your results are generally better or worse than your actual performance levels.

It also won't take into account chances that aren't conceded at all by virtue of other positive pieces of goalkeeping, such as not giving a chance away with poor distribution. Or cutting out the chance with sweeper keeping, or coming to collect a ball off the line before someone can head it in from 3 yards. Etc.

Classical Mechanic

I actually quite like the xG stats, but it shouldn't be used to debate goalkeeper performance. It might be reflective in some cases, but it will normally be impacted heavily by poor (or excellent) finishing, or even the volume of chances you concede. It should be used as a rough guide of whether your results are generally better or worse than your actual performance levels.

It also won't take into account chances that aren't conceded at all by virtue of other positive pieces of goalkeeping, such as not giving a chance away with poor distribution. Or cutting out the chance with sweeper keeping, or coming to collect a ball off the line before someone can head it in from 3 yards. Etc.
They also measure shot difficulty to give further context.

Revan

Assumptionman
Pretty sure that is nonsense from Sky and a mistake, since everyone else has Alisson in the positive.

We need to swap out De Gea. Your logic is massively flawed. It is like saying why should we play Martial when Liverpool won the league with Firmino, who has less goals. You want to improve everywhere and Liverpool have better fullbacks than we will ever have. That is why Bobby can be shit for a season, but our striker can't.
Expected goals are not an exact science, so different sites have different expected goals. Saying that, Alisson looks weird though, the difference is too big.

hmchan

Expected goals are not an exact science, so different sites have different expected goals. Saying that, Alisson looks weird though, the difference is too big.
And you are not the only one who's skeptical to the stats from Skysports. They are contradicting to almost every source you can find on the Internet, which suggests Alisson is one of the best in terms of saving expected goals in the league, certainly not negative. I understand different institutions have different models calculating xG but it's interesting to see they come up with completely different conclusions (assuming Skysports hasn't misquoted the data). I guess Skysports extracts those stats from Opta and I would like to see the original data.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
First of all thanks for responding.

Ok so I’d agree with you he was a top class GK but I don’t agree he’s regularly dropping clangers though unless you can evidence that? I’d like to see where you get that from if you don’t mind?

I agree the World Cup has affected his confidence in the immediate aftermath.

I appreciate it’s difficult to name someone better than him to replace him which is also kind of the point. Henderson doesn’t fit that profile. Onana is an option but not necessarily a commanding one.

Neuer
Onana
Ter Stegen
Oblak

Which of these would be a solid improvement?

I genuinely don’t see it as a huge issue right now because we don’t have the ability to pluck a better alternative out of thin air. We’d pay over the odds for a really stand out candidate and I don’t think it’s worth the investment given we have the second best defensive record in the league and he’s cost us 6 points.

I see it as much lower down on the list of priorities. We may as well back him one more season while we scout for replacements or give Henderson a chance to stake his claim.
I guess we don't agree here. I think we should be thinking about improving our goalkeeping overall (command of area, distribution, leadership of the defence) even if that means the keeper isn't as a good a shot stopper as an inform DDG yet.

From your list Oblak and Ter Stegen are better keepers than DDG anyway, Neuer isn't an option and I haven't seen enough of Onana to comment

Our defence has improved, however we still have a weakness on set pieces which we have been trying to solve by buying players with height and ariel presence, but the biggest issue is actually the keeper.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

"There are three main areas for a goalkeeper: shot-stopping ability, command of his box and ball-playing ability. When you look at United’ style of play, you can see how badly they need a goalkeeper who checks the box in each of those three areas, something De Gea isn’t currently doing. Below, you can see a comparison between De Gea’s advanced metrics and the Premier League average"

"Thanks to the scatter plot above, we can see that De Gea concedes a lower quality of shots compared to the Premier League average. At the same time, we can deduce that De Gea isn’t good enough at relieving pressure off his backline by coming out on crosses".

"The Spanish goalkeeper is playing significantly shorter passes than the league average, while not having a launched pass completion percentage as high as one would expect from a goalkeeper in a team that should be challenging for the league title. But just how does De Gea stack up to Henderson in these metrics?"

Read the full article via the above link.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
People need to watch Henderson more, he has mistakes in him too. He's protected by a very defensive back 3 at Sheffield.

We have problems in our team but DDG is not one of them. We need to back him, not bin him after one off season. If someone offers £40m for him then yeah sure, elsewise there's no point to it.
We have been backing him two entire seasons and it has cost us a lot of crucial points, to be honest. This season he's gotten even worse, but it all starred after he shet his pants with Spain. This is not a knee-jerk reaction to handful of mistakes. We are at the point of either choosing to keep being blind to his certain decline, or saving the club. AND we have a great goalkeeper in Henderson who deserves a chance. Or else he may jet.

Not much of a dilemma as long as we are thinking with our heads

crossy1686

career ending
If it does happen i really hope it doesn't backfire like it did with Foster
I don’t think Foster ever had the confidence to play for United. Henderson seems to truly believe he can be better and be England and United’s number 1. It was kind of thrust upon Foster almost against his will

Robbie Boy

I don’t think Foster ever had the confidence to play for United. Henderson seems to truly believe he can be better and be England and United’s number 1. It was kind of thrust upon Foster almost against his will
Aye, Foster ended up having a very solid career and is still going. He opened up previously on how he wasn't ready to be playing for a club the size of United and his confidence dropped after Fergie had a go at him after some poor games where he made mistakes.

jesperjaap

We have been backing him two entire seasons and it has cost us a lot of crucial points, to be honest. This season he's gotten even worse, but it all starred after he shet his pants with Spain. This is not a knee-jerk reaction to handful of mistakes. We are at the point of either choosing to keep being blind to his certain decline, or saving the club. AND we have a great goalkeeper in Henderson who deserves a chance. Or else he may jet.

Not much of a dilemma as long as we are thinking with our heads
Yes that tournament from Spain ruined him and never been the same since. Is it certain decline though? I mean he is making so many errors but also making wonderful saves at times as well, so is it in his head as much as anything else?

It is just press rumours at the moment, but the wish of Romero now wanting to leave adds to the problems of bringing Henderson back. I dont see th epoint in bringing him back to compete with DeGea, its one or the other. Competing with Romero is no bad option, but if he leaves....that is two gk potentially to replace.

Whether or not Henderson is ready, he has bee great for Sheffield Utd but has also made errors and no disrepect to them......the pressures of playing for us in goal and scrutiny is 10x as big.

The main thing is, if we were to replace DeGea with him......who buys DeGea? Reputation in Spain not good, Navas done well for PSG, can the likes of Juve afford him? Our best bet is if someone actually buys Oblak that Ateltico may wish to take him back

Sagittarius13

Thats just silly.

Whoever plays or gets selected should not be making either of those mistakes. That's what you expect from any goalie at this level.
"Whoever plays or gets selected should not be making either of those mistakes", well yeah thats the general idea of any selected team, but my point is that Romero was the natural choice because he was playing in this tournament and doing well, there was no real reason to make that change, you put Romero in, you give him minutes, keep him sharp, rest De Gea and everyone is happy.

Sagittarius13

Sorry to say this but no I don't because he has been full of gaffes since that last world cup and it keeps happening at crucial points in the games.

You got a point, I agree with you on this one because on crucial moments he's letting us down. I choose to look on all the positives he gives us, he makes a world class save every 1 or 2 games and thats a positive impact to us, so maybe I'm willing to forgive him for this kind of errors.

AFC NimbleThumb

If it does happen i really hope it doesn't backfire like it did with Foster
Let’s say we do & it does backfire, what do we really stand to lose?

On his level of play over the past 18/24 months DDG will cost us games again at some point next season if left as undisputed No.1 whereas Henderson may potentially come in & do well - it could also go badly but we need an upgrade in that position & soon.

If Henderson didn’t work out we’ll have to pursue an option outside of the club anyway but persisting with DDG looks to be a losing battle, we can’t go into next season with the position manned as it is; it might be a season earlier than ideal but if Henderson is rated as highly as we hear then he has every chance to take the No.1 & run with it.

Foster never looked comfortable in the role for us.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Yes that tournament from Spain ruined him and never been the same since. Is it certain decline though? I mean he is making so many errors but also making wonderful saves at times as well, so is it in his head as much as anything else?

It is just press rumours at the moment, but the wish of Romero now wanting to leave adds to the problems of bringing Henderson back. I dont see th epoint in bringing him back to compete with DeGea, its one or the other. Competing with Romero is no bad option, but if he leaves....that is two gk potentially to replace.

Whether or not Henderson is ready, he has bee great for Sheffield Utd but has also made errors and no disrepect to them......the pressures of playing for us in goal and scrutiny is 10x as big.

The main thing is, if we were to replace DeGea with him......who buys DeGea? Reputation in Spain not good, Navas done well for PSG, can the likes of Juve afford him? Our best bet is if someone actually buys Oblak that Ateltico may wish to take him back
Agree - how to offload DeGea is the biggest problem, and why we probably won't get rid of him. We should not have extended his contract (certainly not at this salary), but now that we have - maybe having him compete with Henderson and either forcing him to improve or frustrating him enough to motivate into finding another club, is the way to go. If he wants to have any remaining career elsewhere, he may agree to a salary reduction.

CG1010

We shouldn't get rid of De Gea but to mitigate risk, we should let them both compete for Number 1 position, with Henderson starting out and if he doesn't impress then De Gea...

Romero unfortunately will have to move on.

jesperjaap

Agree - how to offload DeGea is the biggest problem, and why we probably won't get rid of him. We should not have extended his contract (certainly not at this salary), but now that we have - maybe having him compete with Henderson and either forcing him to improve or frustrating him enough to motivate into finding another club, is the way to go. If he wants to have any remaining career elsewhere, he may agree to a salary reduction.
Well to be fair the negotiations on his contract went on for ages and I think most were still happy it happened as it was early on in to his downturn, nobody expected it to be prolonged really.

I really dont think its a case of motivating him to find another club, he has flirted with that before in far more successful times here, more a case of finding a club prepared to pay a decent fee and wages for him that is of course still a big club, as he does need that, only see Atletico selling Oblak as the viable opportunity really myself

Matriac

Considering we have the most clean sheets (25) in Europe across all competitions this season I doubt that Ole will make a decision to change keeepers now unless absolutely forced to. (I know this also includes Romero's games. But still.)

Only scenario I see for a change is if Dean demands to be sold if not First choice, and even then I think Ole might play hardball at least another season considering have Dean on contract for another two seasons, option for third. Maybe just offer him a new contract with same length just improved salary to not burn the bridge completely.

Of course if some club was to offer decent money for De Gea we might option for the change, but that scenario is unlikely due to De Gea's contract, which I think was the intention behind the size of it, to remove any doubt and lock David down for the remainder of his "prime" years.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Good luck to the lad wherever his future is, just a shame he didn’t get a nice send off with no fans there. Fantastic keeper with great potential and imo should be England’s #1 already.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Didn’t look great today for Sheffield Utd. Let in a goal at his near post. I don’t think he’s anywhere near ready to be our number 1.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If De Gea let in that first Che Adams goal today he’d be slaughtered. If Dean comes back there will be nowhere to hide, he can get away with things like that quietly because frankly, nobody cares at Sheffield.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Didn’t look great today for Sheffield Utd. Let in a goal at his near post. I don’t think he’s anywhere near ready to be our number 1.
If De Gea let in that first Che Adams goal today he’d be slaughtered. If Dean comes back there will be nowhere to hide, he can get away with things like that quietly because frankly, nobody cares at Sheffield.
Sell him and pay top dollar for a seasoned keeper then otherwise you’re stuck with what you’ve got.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Still making lots of mistakes that you don’t want a no1 making and yet many on here would discard historically our best performer for a sub par season in which we had the 2nd best defensive record and De Gea now has more clean sheets to his name than Schmeichel.

mu4c_20le

He's only 23, it's a good learning experience for him. I just don't see how he's the 'obvious' choice for next season, despite the stats. Big risk giving him the #1 spot based on one decent season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Still making lots of mistakes that you don’t want a no1 making and yet many on here would discard historically our best performer for a sub par season in which we had the 2nd best defensive record and De Gea now has more clean sheets to his name than Schmeichel.
What David De Gea did 3 years ago is of absolutely no benefit to us next season.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
That’s what I think we’d need to do but can’t see us doing it.
I still think your defence has looked shaky at times this season so it can’t all be de Gea’s fault although he has been a disaster for some goals. I think it would be fair to give Henderson the opportunity, see how it goes. Deciding already that he isn’t good enough and fetching in a new keeper would mean he will surely be off.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s not the finished article but he’s one of your own and has the potential to be great. Why risk losing that? You’ve got a nice group of England internationals already too.

Sagittarius13

He's been making costly mistakes since the 2018 World Cup.

You're right, but to me he's still a top goalkeeper, I guess what you're saying is that he's not a world class goalkeeper since that World Cup. What would you do? Get Henderson and bench De Gea? maybe that's the natural process.

Hoboman

Can't find a reason to replace one good shot stopper who is average in kicking and prefers stay on the line with another keeper who has the same strengths and weeknesses.

Henderson is young, looks confident and likely will improve, but I still think that experienced all-round goalie would suit our current backline much better than another high level pure shot stopper.

Nickelodeon

In the last few weeks, if there is one keeper (other than De Gea) who I've seen the most in the league, it's Henderson. Unfortunately, if we're looking to replace De Gea with him, he doesn't seem to be completely error free. Even yesterday against Southampton (0:30 in the video below), De Gea would've been crucified for this.

Now I completely believe in the kid but just because De Gea isn't doing great, thrusting him too early in the United team can be harmful particularly if he makes a few mistakes early on. Most of the people on this forum who are looking to put Henderson as our No.1 just want De Gea out and are thus overrating Henderson. It's true that his stats, particularly the xG one is quite convincing. But over the past few weeks, from the top of my head, he's made errors against Southampton, Newcastle, Arsenal (FA Cup). We should be quite careful about how his development needs to take place.