Dean Henderson | Sold to Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

Allure of the PL.

Villa have manage to attract some serious talent over the last few seasons too.
I get that, but he's one of the better CBs in Italy. He should be playing for a club like Villa or better, that is in Europe, not a team that is mid-table or potentially fighting relegation. Just shows, if Forest pull this off, the imbalance of the EPL compared to the rest of Europe.

Alemar

I think we need to accept that he is worth a lot less than we hoped and settle for a smaller fee with maybe some decent add ons and a sell on clause.
I would have no problems with that. It would be worthwhile to accept any fee for Henderson, for Maguire and for Bailly, as all of those are absolutely useless for us and at the same time receive high wage for doing nothing.

saivet

Sanchez going for £25m scuppers us somewhat. Time to eat humble pie and bite their hand off for £10m.
He was arguably third choice for Brighton behind the new guy they signed and Steele who benched him for a big part of last season.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Dean Henderson is also the perfect example of how we as a club and fanbase tend to get our hopes up every time a promising player comes up from the academy. There have been numerous examples of players who showed promise who could have been sold after showing that promise where we’ve instead opted to keep them around due to thinking they’ll become world beaters and to keep the romance of the club’s academy alive.

We could’ve sold Henderson for £30m a couple of years ago. We could easily have fetched £15-20m for Tuanzebe a couple of years back, but instead of leveraging that promise into money we’re all like “fecking great, that’s us sorted at GK/CB for the next decade!!!”. We’re so obsessed with the idea of the team being filled with homegrown talent that we hold on to them long past the point of them showing themselves to be good enough to take the club forward, resulting in them being on big contracts and leaving on free transfers once those expire because nobody will take on their wages.

We’re the football version of a clingy guy where a fit girl says hi to him and he starts planning their children’s names.
Yup, happens every time. Sell them with a buyback clause when they're young and promising, instead of keeping them in neverending loan limbo.

Anustart89

Yup, happens every time. Sell them with a buyback clause when they're young and promising, instead of keeping them in neverending loan limbo.
To be fair to the club leadership, it seems like they've realised this and are going for this strategy, judging by how they handled Elanga and others over the summer. Don't give him a £70k/w contract and sell as soon as it's obvious he's not going to be good enough to improve the squad.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
To be fair to the club leadership, it seems like they've realised this and are going for this strategy, judging by how they handled Elanga. Don't give him a £70k/w contract and sell as soon as it's obvious he's not going to be good enough to improve the squad.
I agree, definitely feels like there's been a shift in strategy this summer. Perhaps the looming Financial Sustainability Regulations forced our hand.

theklr

Isn’t he fully recovered now? What’s better at finding problems than a full blown medical?
No, not yet I think.

Some injuries are harder to predict than others when they’ll recover, but even as important he hasnt played for quite a while so Forest are unsure how long it will take for him to get back to his best.

tomaldinho1

He was arguably third choice for Brighton behind the new guy they signed and Steele who benched him for a big part of last season.
Even with getting dropped and then supposedly he refused to be No2 according to De Zerbi he had a decent season. If I asked you who you’d rather sign Sanchez or Henderson, I think most would say the former. Henderson’s stock was super high a couple of years ago, that’s when we should have sold him, I think his stock is really low now.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If Forest are out, I think we'll struggle to move him on for the fee we should be commanding.
I can't think of many PL teams that need a GK.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
What’s the point of this? They have quite obviously messed us and the player about with a shite offer. They clearly have money.
How have we messed you about? We’ve been pretty patient waiting for you lot to sort you GK issues before you even started negotiating. On top of the Ibanez fee we’ll probably have to spend £25m on a DM and £15m+ on a striker. So yeah we want to get players in as cheaply as possible. How is that different to any other club? Either the deal happens or it doesn’t and we move on.

CM

How have we messed you about? We’ve been pretty patient waiting for you lot to sort you GK issues before you even started negotiating. On top of the Ibanez fee we’ll probably have to spend £25m on a DM and £15m+ on a striker. So yeah we want to get players in as cheaply as possible. How is that different to any other club? Either the deal happens or it doesn’t and we move on.
The poster you're replying to is talking rubbish but this bit in bold isn't true either. We might not have sanctioned the sale until Onana arrived but there's no way we would've parked negotiations entirely for a player we don't want to keep.

tomaldinho1

Why? Sanchez is nothing special, why he’s going for that sort of money says more about the transfer window mess. Henderson is best of British!
I can’t tell if this is tongue in cheek?

edgecutter

The club needs to get this guy out and if it's on loan so be it. He wasn't a good influence in the dressing room and also rumours of him leaking team sheets to the media is just something we can do without.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The poster you're replying to is talking rubbish but this bit in bold isn't true either. We might not have sanctioned the sale until Onana arrived but there's no way we would've parked negotiations entirely for a player we don't want to keep.
What on earth are you waffling on about then?

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
That’s not true, the offer you lot rejected occured after Onana was purchased so what negotiations have been going on before that? Without ETH messing about we’d have an extra couple of weeks to sort out our GK problems and possibly in have one in place for our preseason.

CM

That’s not true, the offer you lot rejected occured after Onana was purchased so what negotiations have been going on before that? Without ETH messing about we’d have an extra couple of weeks to sort out our GK problems and possibly in have one in place for our preseason.
The version of events you're pushing doesn't make any sense. United didn't want to finalise the sale of Henderson before we signed Onana, that isn't the same as refusing to negotiate full stop. It's pretty simple so I don't know what's so hard to understand, but if Forest had presented an acceptable offer during that time, the Henderson deal would've gone through as soon as we signed Onana.

The deal is being held up because the two clubs can't agree terms, not because of some mythical start date United and Ten Hag have set for negotiations.

We need an rvn

Aren't forest fecked financially? I thought i read that the other day
I read similar, but think the headline is more dramatic than what it actually is. I read the owe "MILLIONS" and my initial understanding was in fees (which I presumed were transfer fees hence would impact their transfer targets etc), but it's more to do with owing players PL survival bonuses and agent fees.

If they can't get that sorted quickly then obviously the situation is much dyer than the article suggested though

ShinjiNinja26

If we can’t get rid of him permanently then at least find a loan deal for him somewhere. Don’t want his toxic presence stinking the place out all season, ETH has done a great job of rebuilding the squad harmony, we don’t need any negativity potentially bringing it back down again.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
The version of events you're pushing doesn't make any sense. United didn't want to finalise the sale of Henderson before we signed Onana, that isn't the same as refusing to negotiate full stop. It's pretty simple so I don't know what's so hard to understand, but if Forest had presented an acceptable offer during that time, the Henderson deal would've gone through as soon as we signed Onana.

The deal is being held up because the two clubs can't agree terms, not because of some mythical start date United and Ten Hag have set for negotiations.
Why would we want to delay the negotiations? How does that help us get a GK sorted? If anything, it puts us in a weaker position in negotiations with Arsenal because they know we need a keeper asap to start the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.