Decision to not bring in Dean Henderson

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
How is this still possible in 2021 that a billion Dollar football club doesn't use any stats at all in making such a huge decision. Its in no way any different to bringing Mata/Telles on and in fact a keeper has more opportunities to make an impact. How can every single person see it apart from the one paid millions to make these decisions

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He was bringing on other penalty takers.

The bigger problem is why the feck we can't defend set-pieces, why the feck he doesn't make subs to impact the actual game and why the feck we were forced to a penalty shoot-out at all.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

The bigger problem is why the feck we can't defend set-pieces, why the feck he doesn't make subs to impact the actual game and why the feck we were forced to a penalty shoot-out at all.
United made 5 subs when 6 were allowed

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
United made 5 subs when 6 were allowed
Fair enough.

In which case I refer you to rest of my post.

If we're criticising Solskjaer, not substituting his goalkeepers for the penalty shoot-out would be some way down the list of faults.

bonsaiboy

If we'd have brought Henderson on and lost, the inquisition would instead be asking why we didn't keep de Gea on.

Rooney1987

Right but the point of this thread is the penalty shoot out not what happened before. I would agree with you on what happened before anyone blaming De Gea for that is odd (I know some are doing it).

We had 1 sub left, De Gea is bad at pen saves and Henderson no matter what you think of him being our number 1 is clearly good at them. It is a bad call.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Penalties are lotteries. No guarantee Hendo would save one.

where ole failed again was his game management. Lack of subs when required to then make really odd ones too late, leaving Rashford on who was horrific yet again.

we lost it in the second half -well on top but needed fresh legs, failed to act. A safe manager wins nothing.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
How is this still possible in 2021 that a billion Dollar football club doesn't use any stats at all in making such a huge decision. Its in no way any different to bringing Mata/Telles on and in fact a keeper has more opportunities to make an impact. How can every single person see it apart from the one paid millions to make these decisions
:lol: how can you seriously believe that Ole doesn’t know the stats on his two keepers

Born2Lose

The mistake was not to start Henderson.

This flip flopping with GK's doesn't reflect well on Ole.

De Gea's a coward who's coasted his whole career on being a top level shot stopper but hasn't devoted any time or attention to the other fundamentals of being a GK.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Ole is completely to blame for this loss. I don't think that I have ever seen a European knockout game with the same 11 playing 100 minutes but this thread was more about how such huge football clubs can still be making such decisions defying maths

Mcking

Ole went with the option that didn't involve a big decision. It is what he always does. Guess De Gea's performance has secured Henderson's place as No.1 next season.

reddevilchennai

No need was there for Bailly Tuanzabe sub. Could have brought Henderson then.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
:lol: how can you seriously believe that Ole doesn’t know the stats on his two keepers
Our captain opted to go second on penalties, which says it all. Everyone knows that the statistical advantage is to take first.

Devil81

De Gea is the worst penalty keeper ever.

6.5 years. Since saved a pen.

Like scoring in an open goal.

Schneiderman

They must know the stats. It's more likely a thought of; if we make this change and it backfires with the goalkeeping debate going on, we'll be crucified.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Eh ? I clearly said see it and not know it. Ofcourse he knew it which is why its ridiculous that he didn't see this coming and decided to ignore the stats

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
If we'd have brought Henderson on and lost, the inquisition would instead be asking why we didn't keep de Gea on.
Disagree. De Gea has no pedigree of saving pens so that's a completely false narrative. There's nothing to back it up.

Also we'd have won so it's a moot point. ;)

SirAF

Ageist

where ole failed again was his game management. Lack of subs when required to then make really odd ones too late, leaving Rashford on who was horrific yet again.

we lost it in the second half -well on top but needed fresh legs, failed to act. A safe manager wins nothing.
It really isn’t. It’s no coincidence some are good at pens and some are not. It’s a skill.

Brwned

Eh ? I clearly said see it and not know it. Ofcourse he knew it which is why its ridiculous that he didn't see this coming and decided to ignore the stats
He didn’t take him off for the same reason 99% of managers do not take off their keepers for a shootout. Stats don’t feature in that conversation

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
It was a gamble worth taking in light of De Gea's appalling record on saving pens. Could have dealt with the fall out later if it didn't work,

The Hilton

Fair enough.

In which case I refer you to rest of my post.

If we're criticising Solskjaer, not substituting his goalkeepers for the penalty shoot-out would be some way down the list of faults.
To be fair I think it was the biggest mistake, and I say this as a big fan of Ole.

DDG simply doesn't save pens, Hendo has a pretty good record, it's a no brainer of a decision really.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

If penalties are lotteries then DDG represents not buying a ticket and somehow believing you can win the lottery.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Penalties are definitely not lotteries, far from it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
No it wouldn't. He's known for being useless in those situations. I think even he would understand.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It was a gamble worth taking in light of De Gea's appalling record on saving pens. Could have dealt with the fall out later if it didn't work,

Don't know about the media but I can't see why any United fan who has seen Dave would have ever argued against the decision

Renegade

Ole didn’t want to
Upset DDG. This cup final was his reward Ole said pre match.

klayton88

No but the stats suggest he had more chance of saving one than Dave.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Penalties are definitely not lotteries, far from it.
It really isn’t. It’s no coincidence some are good at pens and some are not. It’s a skill.
If penalties are lotteries then DDG represents not buying a ticket and somehow believing you can win the lottery.
ye know what I mean. The issues were within the 90 minutes and less so the penalties. Unai made the changes at the right time - Ole bottles it and hopes we Somehow blag a second goal when jaded

GMoore23

He didn’t take him off for the same reason 99% of managers do not take off their keepers for a shootout. Stats don’t feature in that conversation
Fair enough but De Gea should be the exception to this rule as he is absolutely diabolical at them. Ole afraid to make the big call.

Johnson Yip

99% goalkeepers didn't have the miserable record of saving ZERO of the last 36 penalties in the past 5+ years. Statistics didn't lie!

Brwned

Fair enough but De Gea should be the exception to this rule as he is absolutely diabolical at them. Ole afraid to make the big call.
I don’t think it’s about fear but loyalty and respect, which are big contributors to good camaraderie and a positive environment. Ole has been widely praised as a good man manager, and it’s the thing that he most valued in Sir Alex.

We have two keepers at a similar level. They were told that the one that earns his place in the first team will play the league games, but the backup won’t be pushed to the side, they are too good for that, so they will play the cup games. All of them. If he were to disregard that commitment in the moment, it would be disrespectful to the individual, having lasting effects on their morale, but it would also send a bad signal to the rest of the squad. They wouldn’t trust him.

I don’t think Ole is a good manager but he has the trust of his players. If he threw that away he would be putting short term gain ahead of long term pain. Strategically it doesn’t make sense. It just isn’t as simple as this one moment. That’s why keepers generally aren’t pulled out at the last moment. It would be damaging in the long term.