Declan Rice | signs for arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegadrivePerson

Still think we end up signing him. Many football fans often channel their inner FIFA player and assume footballers exist on a football pitch only. However believe it or not, Declan Rice is also an actual person, he has a newborn son and his entire family is in London. This is why he was never going to Bayern Munich, because his child's upbringing is probably higher on the list of his desires than winning an easy Bundesliga. Manchetser is still in the UK, but 200 miles from his home.
If City want him they will outbid Arsenal in terms of a fee and wages. He'd be mad not to go there if he actually wants to win anything.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Fair enough and I could be proved wrong. He could certainly do the pressing from the front bit, but for 90M I’d want a bit more.
I’m not sure he’s got the game for a more attacking role, he seems to put his head down and drive a bit, rather than have all the options in his view. Also not sold on his range of passing higher up the pitch.

I say this with a view to if he was coming to United by the way, not just because he’s linked with Arsenal
That's a fair take. I'd personally prefer him at 6. At times we run out of ideas and resort to horseshoe passing around our back line. Partey solved this for much of the season, however...
  • He may have already peaked.
  • His form nosedived without Saliba behind him
  • His injury record for us hasn't been great
And, of course, the elephant in the room (due process etc). I'd love Rice to replace Partey, with Jorginho as competition.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
That's a fair take. I'd personally prefer him at 6. At times we run out of ideas and resort to horseshoe passing around our back line. Partey solved this for much of the season, however...
And, of course, the elephant in the room (due process etc). I'd love Rice to replace Partey, with Jorginho as competition.
I’d forgotten Jorginho played for you. He was a weird signing. In fact, in Jorginho Rice and Partey you have a weird assortment of players in that deeper midfield area.

What you really need to compliment them is spending 70M on Fred…..

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
£50m for Mount,
£15m for Loftus Cheek
£35m for Kovacic.

Chelsea then have the space and the money, and West Ham really like Broja and maybe even Gallagher.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yeah the question marks around Partey also must be a big factor in you lot targeting Rice.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
£50m for Mount,
£15m for Loftus Cheek
£35m for Kovacic.

Chelsea then have the space and the money, and West Ham really like Broja and maybe even Gallagher.
He won't be going to Chelsea, that shipped has sailed with Boehly coming in.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I bet we feck around with crap offers, similarly like we did with Mudryk, despite the player wanting to join (and in Mudryk's case clearly wanting to join) - only to get outdone late in the piece. When it could have been done and dusted in the first week.

It worked out in our favour (short term at least). But I don't think it would this time.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I bet we feck around with crap offers, similarly like we did with Mudryk, despite the player wanting to join (and in Mudryk's case clearly wanting to join) - only to get outdone late in the piece. When it could have been done and dusted in the first week.

It worked out in our favour (short term at least). But I don't think it would this time.
Don't you think the two things are linked. The price became too high and not worth it. I really want Rice and would be happy with us overpaying. But West Ham would be mad to accept the first offer, no matter what is was.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Rice for city would either play
  • as a Libero coming to midfield from CB (playing the stones role) with false fullbacks that turn to a back 3
  • Or play as the CDM that drops to create a back 3 that allows more attacking fullbacks giving an attacking from wide

• For us, he would be the understudy to Casemiro - playing a sweeping CDM that plays behind 2 pressing CM/CAM.

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

£50m for Mount,
£15m for Loftus Cheek
£35m for Kovacic.

Chelsea needed to sell big before adding someone else, so making up for the money equal to rice doesn’t do it for them

Hammondo

Rice for city would either play
  • as a Libero coming to midfield from CB (playing the stones role) with false fullbacks that turn to a back 3
  • Or play as the CDM that drops to create a back 3 that allows more attacking fullbacks giving an attacking from wide

• For us, he would be the understudy to Casemiro - playing a sweeping CDM that plays behind 2 pressing CM/CAM.
But he wouldn't make the first 11.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
But he wouldn't make the first 11.
Lots of City players can be on the bench even if their quality.

For us - it depends, we could go extra defensive with Casemiro & Rice and play a creative CAM or play him as the cover for Casemiro whenever he gets an 8 month ban for a red card etc.

Rice is probably Arsenal bound anyway, so you don’t have to worry.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You never know. Might convince Mount to stay as well.

Caicedo, Enzo and Rice is a strong midfield .
Boehly has managed to piss both parties off. Why else have we heard nothing about Rice to Chelsea since last summer after he seemed a dead cert to go there before he arrived, and why else has Mount knocked back every contract offer and wants out ASAP?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
Hardly 'embarrassing'. They can't seriously think anyone was ever paying £120m
Fernandez £106m, Bellingham £113m.

They're the benchmark so anyone offering £80m is going to get laughed out of the room.

Teams like Man City and Real Madrid can structure any deal with add-ons that the seller will believe, Arsenal can't. Even Chelsea can put forward a more persuasive argument about winning the PL or CL based on recent history.

Clubs like Man City and Chelsea also have more appealing part exchange players.

I'd expect an end package that hits around £110m, probably with a £25m/£30m player included.

Rice isn't the type to act up either. He's still only 24 and knows time is on his side.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Apparently they wanted include a bunch of add ons. Initial offer was probably lowball.
Realistically if they want to achieve a fee close to Bellingham and Enzo, it's going to be structured like that. They're just being hard-line in their stance, I doubt it was "embarrassing".
Fernandez £106m, Bellingham £113m.

They're the benchmark so anyone offering £80m is going to get laughed out of the room.

Teams like Man City and Real Madrid can structure any deal with add-ons that the seller will believe, Arsenal can't. Even Chelsea can put forward a more persuasive argument about winning the PL or CL based on recent history.

Clubs like Man City and Chelsea also have more appealing part exchange players.

I'd expect an end package that hits around £110m, probably with a £25m/£30m player included.

Rice isn't the type to act up either. He's still only 24 and knows time is on his side.
You're just benchmarking wrong then. So good luck thinking you'll get that for Rice as cash. I agree you can look to potentially see cash + players to achieve that sort of value but:

A) players from those teams, that you actually want, are going to have to want to come to you.

B) the selling clubs valuation is going to have to match your valuation if you want to receive a decent chunk of cash for the sale.

Let's take Philips at city for example, would he come to you? Do you even want him? City going to value him at 30m and still pay you 80m? I imagine thes deals will be way harder to broker than a supposedly "embarrassing" structure to a deal.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
From what I've been told via a youth coach at the club (directly worked with Rice for several years) the deal had little upfront money, was spread over a *huge* (their emphasis not mine! I don't know how long that means but sounds unusually long) amount of time and the clauses were of the ilk of winning the champions league. Basically highly improbable.

Beyond that I've no idea what the club thinks or wants, but I don't think I wrong to see the like of Bellingham, Fernández or even Grealish go for a 100+ and then expect us to accept 80 million spread over the thick end of a decade is low-balling us.

Now 80+10 realistic add ons structured in a way that means we get more than 10 million a season from the buying club might be more workable but I still think might get rejected.

I suspect if Arsenal get to that 100 in whatever form, then it will be open for Rice to decide.

Irrational.

If City go for Rice, it again shows the chequebook nature of Pep’s reign that he can simply feck off £50 million flop Kalvin Phillips for the next shiny toy until he gets it right. He did the same with Bravo and myriad other City defenders.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

West Ham get their 100m with addons

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Boehly has managed to piss both parties off. Why else have we heard nothing about Rice to Chelsea since last summer after he seemed a dead cert to go there before he arrived, and why else has Mount knocked back every contract offer and wants out ASAP?
Mount was rejecting offers even under the previous regime.

And as I said the other day I'm not convinced Rice ever wanted to return as much as general opinion assumed.

Also if either are being put off because of the experience of another that's a bit weird even if they're best mates, we ruthlessly binned off David Luiz in 2019 but his best mate still happily joined a year later.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He would have been one of the first names on my personal transfer list to go for. Brings some energy to the midfield but is also very good when it comes to positioning, passing and controlling the game.
Could have played beside Casemiro, but also instead of him in case he is not available or out of form.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Mount was rejecting offers even under the previous regime.

And as I said the other day I'm not convinced Rice ever wanted to return as much as general opinion assumed.

Also if either are being put off because of the experience of another that's a bit weird even if they're best mates, we ruthlessly binned off David Luiz in 2019 but his best mate still happily joined a year later.
It's their individual dealings that have put them off I was hearing, not specifically how his mate was being dealt with. It's obviously not a happy camp at Chelsea,.don't think anyone could deny that.

yamo123x

Teams all around us showing their hands, whilst we sit there dormant. Potentially missing out of Kim Min Jae and now Rice, two players that would have improved us massively.

We'll end up spunking our entire budget on Hojlund and Mount, vastly overpaying in the process.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
That City interest sounds like a figment of WH's imagination. We should be focussed on Caicedo imo. Rice cannot replace Partey that well. He can fill in for a little bit but he needs to be a replacement for Xhaka. There are more good options for Xhaka than Partey. Bring Caicedo in, and let go of Partey next year. Havertz and Rice does not address our needs. We stopped having bad transfer seasons recently but we are setting this one up poorly....hope I am wrong.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Would be mad to go to Arsenal if he wants to compete at the top.

Halftrack

Teams all around us showing their hands, whilst we sit there dormant. Potentially missing out of Kim Min Jae and now Rice, two players that would have improved us massively.

We'll end up spunking our entire budget on Hojlund and Mount, vastly overpaying in the process.
You honestly think we, in our current situation, would ever even consider Rice for the fees quoted?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You never know. Might convince Mount to stay as well.

Caicedo, Enzo and Rice is a strong midfield .
I think Chelsea tried that a few months ago. I don’t think Rice was that impressed with the proposal we put on the table for him and his agent. We’ve been left in the cold ever since, with no chance of landing him.

MonsieurGooner

Supports
Arsenal
The gamesmanship is on.
Would be mad to go to Arsenal if he wants to compete at the top.
Under this premise only City are a viable option for anyone in the PL. This would ensure City win the league from now to eternity.

Should be sign for Man United instead?

Unlikely lad

I think he’s a good player at the moment, but he’s never struck me as someone who’ll turn into a world-beater.

Nevertheless, it’ll be interesting to see how Arteta uses him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Don't see how he would fit in City starting 11, as Rodri will 100% start ahead him every day and night and I can't see him playing a bit part role like Philips doing over there. Maybe he could also play as a CB moving to midfield kind of role Stones is playing for them. But then Stone is very fine at that role already, so he will probably be backup for both Rodri and Stones, or squad rotation with Stones. But then paying 120m for a backup player is kind of way too much, even for City standard.

I think he would/should move to Arsenal, as he would fit in there perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.