g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Declan Rice | signs for arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telsim

Good player, but this transfer makes no sense. It's too expensive and not what we need. Maybe if we hadn't bought Casemiro last summer, but we did, now we need a midfielder to keep and progress the ball. And Rice isn't that kind of midfielder.

pascell

I just posted in the Ugarte thread that Liverpool are negotiating his transfer and that he has a €60m release clause. We could buy Ugarte, Lavia and another CM for the price WH will want for Rice, he wouldn't provide value for money.

Skills

Snitch
I feel the same, I felt about Maguire in 2018. He is a good footballer but it's not the right profile and he isn't worth that much money to us, it's like that Leeds guy that the caf loved until last summer. We need high level technicians, guys that are comfortable in the middle of the pitch when under pressure.
Yup, this has Maguire and Antony written all over it.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Another overhyped English player who will inexplicably get worse after he joins. We know how this chapter ends.

theballisround

Another overhyped English player who will inexplicably get worse after he joins. We know how this chapter ends.
Ain't happening anyway mate. We don't have the funds to pay 100mil for average English players anyway.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thankfully shite source. Though I don’t trust the talent ID of Haggy and I think we’re in for a summer of weird profiles again

crossy1686

career ending
Can we never find a gem like Caicedo for feck sake? Always seems to be megabucks on an overrated English player.
We did. We attempted to sign him but his club slapped an extra £10m on top of what they were willing to sell to Brighton for so we pulled out because we didn’t want to get ‘ripped off’. Now they think he’s good value at over £70m and Rice at over £100m. These are the people running our club…

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Apart from Caicedo, who I consider a level above, I don't think there's a better option out there.

I also don't think we'll spend more than 50m on single player considering the budget.

Gazautd18

We did. We attempted to sign him but his club slapped an extra £10m on top of what they were willing to sell to Brighton for so we pulled out because we didn’t want to get ‘ripped off’. Now they think he’s good value at over £70m and Rice at over £100m. These are the people running our club…
A small part of me dies inside whenever I watch him play.

KeanoMagicHat

Why always go for the most obvious and expensive player available? Why bother with any scouts at the club, if we’re just going to always go for players that every football fan knows?

Also I don’t think midfield is a priority at all, wouldn’t like to see most of the budget spent on Rice, while we can’t score more than 60 goals a season again with bad forwards.

crossy1686

career ending
Why always go for the most obvious and expensive player available? Why bother with any scouts at the club, if we’re just going to always go for players that every football fan knows?

Also I don’t think midfield is a priority at all, wouldn’t like to see most of the budget spent on Rice, while we can’t score more than 60 goals a season again with bad forwards.
United scout is the easiest job in the world. You sit on your arse all year round, watch free football and then in the summer you say “sign whoever the manager wants or we can try to sign Declan Rice and Harry Kane.”

To be fair to them though, when was the last time we signed a player the scouting team found? It would seem that no one listens to them or they’re totally shite.

NLunited

Doesn’t make sense. We have Casemiro, Rice is too expensive for a second dm. I don’t see them playing together.

Go get Kovacic instead and focus on young talent besides that. Maybe Maddison as back up/competition for Bruno.

The Urban Goose

Here we go again. Planning a move, then preparing a bid, then etc. etc. and so on for as long as the journalists can drag out the clicks.

Bondi77

Rice, a new striker plus a returning one and Erik working on Hendo plus our returning loanees and we are set :)

GlasgowCeltic

sign Kane and Rice and never face an unfavourable ref decision or negative media article again

Skills

Snitch
United scout is the easiest job in the world. You sit on your arse all year round, watch free football and then in the summer you say “sign whoever the manager wants or we can try to sign Declan Rice and Harry Kane.”

To be fair to them though, when was the last time we signed a player the scouting team found? It would seem that no one listens to them or they’re totally shite.
Pellistri, Diallo probably. Hannibal, Garnacho for the youth teams

wangyu

Utd at its most creative again, “lets just go for the name everybody knows and wants”’. You can probably find a similar player just as good for half the price or less.

crossy1686

career ending
Pellistri, Diallo probably. Hannibal, Garnacho for the youth teams
Let’s see if any of them make it first, Garnacho was one of Europes most highly rated youth players while at Atleti, and the only reason we moved for most of those was due to Brexit and being unable to secure work permits for them if they did turn out good.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Utd at its most creative again, “lets just go for the name everybody knows and wants”’. You can probably find a similar player just as good for half the price or less.
You’re assuming that it’s more than rumours. I actually think rice is a good player, good age and would develop under different coaches. But are we going for him? I don’t think so

IRN-BRUno

Good player, feels like he's been around forever but he's only 6 months older than Malacia so shouldn't be close to his peak for a few years yet. I think he'd also improve further without a Moyes/Southgate type manager and he seems to have leadership qualities too.

But for the price West Ham would be wanting you'd have to say no.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Based mostly on a hunch, I think he'd go up a level or two by consistently playing alongside better quality players. And he's already very good at what he does.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
With rice you’d be signing two in one, he ca also play CB
Not only that, I think he can also be utilised as a inverted RB. He would provide tactical flexibility by potentially being a option in three positions. And that is a dream for a head coach like ten Hag who like other positional play coaches want players who can slot into different roles.

And if United had the money to sign two midfielders, along with a creative CM like Frenkie de Jong. Then one of Caicedo or Rice would be a good option alongside a more creative CM, and I'd sell one of the right backs to integrate one of the two players into the team.

And that would also potentially provide a solid foundation to integrate some of the younger midfielders into the team. And we'd have a midfield of Casemiro, de Jong and Bruno as the AM, with either Caicedo or Rice inverting, and we'd also have a DM ready to take over from Casemiro if he's not available.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
You’re assuming that it’s more than rumours. I actually think rice is a good player, good age and would develop under different coaches. But are we going for him? I don’t think so
If I'm Arnold I'd leak a rumour that United are going to bid 110milllion.

Drive the price up.

feck it

Appletonred

Not entirely against this signing, add Mctominay or Maguire into the bargain and its quite an astute addition and brings down the price.

KeanoMagicHat

Not only that, I think he can also be utilised as a inverted RB. He would provide tactical flexibility by potentially being a option in three positions. And that is a dream for a head coach like ten Hag who like other positional play coaches want players who can slot into different roles.

And if United had the money to sign two midfielders, along with a creative CM like Frenkie de Jong. Then one of Caicedo or Rice would be a good option alongside a more creative CM, and I'd sell one of the right backs to integrate one of the two players into the team.

And that would also potentially provide a solid foundation to integrate some of the younger midfielders into the team. And we'd have a midfield of Casemiro, de Jong and Bruno as the AM, with either Caicedo or Rice inverting, and we'd also have a DM ready to take over from Casemiro if he's not available.
I mean that would be fantasy football stuff, the best midfield we've had in since the early 2000s... but it might be going along with one of the worst forward lines we've had in that time. Who's going to be the Yorke or Van Nistelrooy to go with it? Can Sancho or Antony be anywhere near the level of Beckham or Giggs? Then De Gea is letting them in left, right and centre. The likes of Eriksen and Fred are better than their forward equivalents, so other areas should be prioritised.

Status
Not open for further replies.