Declan Rice | signs for arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Let's hope not.

He's a very good player. But a midfield of him and Casemiro would be so lacking in top end technicality that it would severely stunt any potential the team has.
Was a midfield of ince and Keane lacking or were they the engine room for other parts

mu4c_20le

Xhaka and Partey could work, because their wide players in Martinelly and Saka are creative players, plus of course Odegaard. We don't have that. But it's for EtH to figure it out.

Also it's interesting that against Newcastle, Arsenal opted for Xhaka and Jorginho in midfield and Arsenal didn't get over run by Newcastle's.
Antony is a creative player whether you believe it or not

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
In:
Kane for £150 mil 400k pw
Rice for £100 mil 350k pw parity with Sancho
Ward-Prowse £30 mil 200k pw
Maddison £60 mil 300k pw
Pickford £40 mil 250k pw

keep Maguire because he’ll feel more at home

Out:
Bailey £2.5 mil pay half his wages
Williams £750k pay 75% of wages
Jones give him 5 mil for good service
Tzunzebe £1 mil pay 50%
:lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Antony is a creative player whether you believe it or not
It's like saying Telles is an attacking LB. It's true. I meant more about the quality required for top club.

Last edited:

Bondi77

I thought we spent big money and tied a DM down to a 5yr contract last year.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Can we never find a gem like Caicedo for feck sake? Always seems to be megabucks on an overrated English player.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
More than half the league know that a well coordinated press can beat us.

Does Rice help our ability to play through a press? Does he help keep possession in tough away games. Does he know when to slow the play down when we are holding a lead?

I have only seen him for England and maybe 10 times a year for west ham and I can say that he won't fix our dreadful midfield.

lex talionis

More than half the league know that a well coordinated press can beat us.

Does Rice help our ability to play through a press? Does he help keep possession in tough away games. Does he know when to slow the play down when we are holding a lead?

I have only seen him for England and maybe 10 times a year for west ham and I can say that he won't fix our dreadful midfield.
Rice enjoys fawning adoration from the same English media hype machine that bigs up Southgate, Maguire, Grealish and countless English football personalities whose reputations far exceed their xG. No one is going to argue against Rice as a solid midfielder, but FFS you'd think we're witnessing the next Makele or even Mattaus with the hype that surrounds him. He'd be a huge upgrade on McTominay, without question, but he wouldn't transform our midfield from good to great.

mu4c_20le

Can we never find a gem like Caicedo for feck sake? Always seems to be megabucks on an overrated English player.
We actually found Caicedo first. Brighton only stepped in after we gave up because the deal was too complicated.

BerryBerryShrew

But what Rice gives us is essentially two players in one. He can play very well as that 8, lending more defensive solidity but being a true box to box to link the DM and AM, but he is also a true 6 replacement too. And when Casemiro is unavailable, we still have a viable midfield. If we sign a playmaking 8, we still need an understudy for Casemiro. Combine the costs for those two and it may come to around the same or more than one Rice. So I see the logic in this.
What you've said here is true of Caicedo too except he seems like a top class player whereas Rice seems like a merely good one. If we want to pursue a different type of midfielder (a FdJ type - like Barella as you suggested) then fair enough. But if we sign Rice for roughly the same as it would cost to sign Caicedo, then we really are still as incompetent in the transfer market as we were when we signed Maguire.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Was a midfield of ince and Keane lacking or were they the engine room for other parts
A midfield pairing from nearly 30 years ago operating in a team that played very different football in a era when football was very different hardly holds much relevance to the actual problems in our current team.

One of which is very clearly that we struggle to keep and progress the ball under pressure. Something that would be helped by signing the type of high technical level midfielder we spent all last summer chasing (FDJ) or Casemiro previously thrived alongside (Kroos/Modric). But wouldn't be helped by signing Declan Rice, a player more suited to the role Casemiro himself plays.

saivet

I rate Rice and at £60m or less I could understand the move. A Casemiro, Rice and Bruno midfield trio doesn't seem right on paper. Rice can carry the ball well but feel we need a more progressive passer next to Case otherwise the onus will be on Case who has a knack of being wasteful or it will be a bit ponderous.

That's not to say I don't think it could work but I'm not convinced he's a sensible signing for us, even with the budget.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Hope not. When he doesn't have the same space to maraud into as he does at West Ham, his limited passing ability from deep will become exposed. Not the profile of player I want in our midfield.

Loon

:lol:
If it’s true, regardless of one’s thoughts on the player, at least it means the midfield is being addressed.

SamVimes

I mean it is pretty obvious this is his Agent trying to drum up interest to create a bidding war. I like Jacob Steinburg, but at some stage journalist's have to triage what they are hearing and present an honest appraisal of the situation. Simply saying I'm reporting what I heard is no longer acceptable. Tell us where you are hearing it from and what the context is, not just being a mouth piece.

ForeverRed1

I love the guy. Very good player, young, good attitude. He will be interesting to see what he can do in a top 6 side.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
What you've said here is true of Caicedo too except he seems like a top class player whereas Rice seems like a merely good one. If we want to pursue a different type of midfielder (a FdJ type - like Barella as you suggested) then fair enough. But if we sign Rice for roughly the same as it would cost to sign Caicedo, then we really are still as incompetent in the transfer market as we were when we signed Maguire.
I wouldn’t call signing Rice incompetent. I think he’s as good as Caicedo, at the very least. I don’t mind the preference for the Ecuadorean, but there’s very little between the two tbh. I just think Caicedo plays in a much better system. I think Rice would look fantastic under De Zerbi, in that set up. It’s nothing like Maguire.

English players sure get a tax, because of the homegrown quota, and favourable media coverage which leads to people calling them overrated. But Rice isn’t overrated in this forum, if anything he is quite underrated.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I wouldn’t call signing Rice incompetent. I think he’s as good as Caicedo, at the very least. I don’t mind the preference for the Ecuadorean, but there’s very little between the two tbh. I just think Caicedo plays in a much better system. I think Rice would look fantastic under De Zerbi, in that set up. It’s nothing like Maguire.

English players sure get a tax, because of the homegrown quota, and favourable media coverage which leads to people calling them overrated. But Rice isn’t overrated in this forum, if anything he is quite underrated.
We're spectacularly bad at judging English players on this forum as half the posters automatically think they're overrated cloggers on account of their Englishness, whilst the rest of us are England fans emotionally invested in the idea that they might be really good.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Caicedo instead, or even Lavia.

Top player though, but not value for money for us.

MonsieurGooner

Supports
Arsenal
He is Arteta's top target, and one advantage we will have, is Rice doesnt want to go outside the M25. Rice is a London lad to the core. Dont think he fancies the move up north

Bondi77

He is Arteta's top target, and one advantage we will have, is Rice doesnt want to go outside the M25. Rice is a London lad to the core. Dont think he fancies the move up north
Big Chelsea fan by all accounts and I cannot see him leaving the capital either.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Muppet mode full on.

Out:
Mctominay - 30m
Fred - 25m
VDB - 20m

In:
Rice - 80m (75m from players sales + 5m from our budget)

Forget it. Never going to happen.

Rather, it would probably end up something like that:

Out: Mctominay - 20m
In: Rice - 120m (20m from players sales + 100m from our budget)

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Theres a big correlation between the fans that dont rate Declan Rice & their location in relation to the club & this world.

the hea

Very good player but maybe not the best fit for our current needs. If we would have bought De Jong last summer Rice would be a very good fit next to him and very high up on my list of player I would want here but I feel a Rice and Casemiro pertnership is maybe a little to limited when it comes to creativity and moving the ball from the defense to the attack.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Very good player but maybe not the best fit for our current needs. If we would have bought De Jong last summer Rice would be a very good fit next to him and very high up on my list of player I would want here but I feel a Rice and Casemiro pertnership is maybe a little to limited when it comes to creativity and moving the ball from the defense to the attack.
That's how I feel as well. I actually feel Rice and De Jong would be a fantastic combo if that signing had happened, but I can't see Rice and Casemiro providing anywhere near the ball-playing ability that ETH would surely be looking for.

Mainoldo

They’re actually the same profile of player. De Jong is just better in areas such as technical ability. But Rice can improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.