g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Declan Rice | signs for arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

I think we'll probably need a Casemiro replacement sooner than we expected and Rice can play alongside him for a while anyway. He loses the ball less than Eriksen and can carry it much better.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Good player, but this transfer makes no sense. It's too expensive and not what we need. Maybe if we hadn't bought Casemiro last summer, but we did, now we need a midfielder to keep and progress the ball. And Rice isn't that kind of midfielder.
It makes a lot of sense. Rice has actually developed very well in the 8 and has proven many times to be very competent at ball carrying as well as shutting out spaces.

NZT-One

If this transfer happens then thats me done with the club. Would be final proof that our recruitment team hasn't learned anything at all from all the shite they have been doing for more than 5 years.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The people who didnt rate him rated Neves, Ndidi & Bissouma better. :)

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Been singing his praises for 5 years. He would become a club legend here. He's got everything but is disciplined enough to do what he's asked.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Rice is quality player and I actually rate him above caicedo but I’m not sure if this guy can play in Eriksen’s role. Yes he probably can play next to Casemiro but not just playing next to Casemiro, we need someone who can play in Eriksen‘s role. Ten Hag had to use Bruno deeper when Eriksen was injured because neither Fred and sabitzer can play in Erikse‘s role.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I feel like he’s the sort of clunky player we’re trying to move away from.

Irrational.

Overrated overpriced English clogger. Will be a midfield Maguire. Do not want. Lavia from relegated Southampton will be half the price and has the potential to be twice as good.

Godfather

Why am I seeing this only now? God I hope this is bs. I mean for 25-30 mill ok but that's max we should give out to that overrated averageness in person. Is the guy quoted in the OP reliable?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Overrated overpriced English clogger. Will be a midfield Maguire. Do not want. Lavia from relegated Southampton will be half the price and has the potential to be twice as good.
Spot on. Aggressively gowlish face on him too. Last thing we need.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm not his biggest fan, but he is a good player, think people are being a touch harsh on him. Problem is, he isn't good enough to play alongside Casemiro and he won't displace Casemiro, so there would be no point in spending all that money on him. Lavia will be half the price - if not more than half and we can plan longer term with the squad. Even someone like Amrabat would cost a third of what Rice would cost, but wouldn't be a 3rd of the quality.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
5th or 6th choice for us? Some of you guys are raving crazy. He might not be the perfect profile but he would kill it at OT. Future captain as well.

mu4c_20le

Yeah he'd displace Casemiro immediately if the latter keeps playing like this. Closest to a Keane regen you can get.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Lets hope so. Average player and he wouldn't be 5th or 6th choice as central midfielder in the team we have now.

We need to keep away from this kind of players.
Interesting what market Man. United are shopping in. I was surprised last summer you didn't go for either Tielemans or Neves as that 8 type of continuity/tempo midfielder but in fairness Eriksen has done a very solid job when called upon as you'd expect for a player of his quality and on a free that was fantastic business.

He'll probably be more rotation next season but of course Casemiro missed a few games for various reasons and there's certainly a void when he isn't there that Rice would fill very nicely.

Beyond that it's back to McFred and all those limitations. One keeps getting linked to Newcastle and perhaps time to move on while Fred contract must be running down although guess you keep him as squad player.

Think actually the best fit for Rice in premier league is Liverpool but if they baulked at Bellingham price they certainly won't pay what West Ham will demand, Arsenal probably will if they move Xhaka and a few squad players on.

Guess as the summer goes on the Frenkie De Jong rumours will start once more with Barca needing cash and you being a more attractive prospect than last summer for him so that feels inevitable to me.

90 + 5min

Interesting what market Man. United are shopping in. I was surprised last summer you didn't go for either Tielemans or Neves as that 8 type of continuity/tempo midfielder but in fairness Eriksen has done a very solid job when called upon as you'd expect for a player of his quality and on a free that was fantastic business.

He'll probably be more rotation next season but of course Casemiro missed a few games for various reasons and there's certainly a void when he isn't there that Rice would fill very nicely.

Beyond that it's back to McFred and all those limitations. One keeps getting linked to Newcastle and perhaps time to move on while Fred contract must be running down although guess you keep him as squad player.

Think actually the best fit for Rice in premier league is Liverpool but if they baulked at Bellingham price they certainly won't pay what West Ham will demand, Arsenal probably will if they move Xhaka and a few squad players on.

Guess as the summer goes on the Frenkie De Jong rumours will start once more with Barca needing cash and you being a more attractive prospect than last summer for him so that feels inevitable to me.
I’m not actually sure that he is good fit for Liverpool to. He lacks that high tempo in his game. For me, Rice is player for lower Premier League teams. West Ham is good fit for him and he should do a Noble.
When it comes to us, we do need one central midfielder. I see a Kante type of player as something we should go for. Someone who would go through wall for you. At same time as he have other great qualities.
Our priority needs to be forward/striker (x2), goalkeeper, central defender, central midfielder. If we sell players we need to sell. In that order.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I’m not actually sure that he is good fit for Liverpool to. He lacks that high tempo in his game. For me, Rice is player for lower Premier League teams. West Ham is good fit for him and he should do a Noble.
When it comes to us, we do need one central midfielder. I see a Kante type of player as something we should go for. Someone who would go through wall for you. At same time as he have other great qualities.
Our priority needs to be forward/striker (x2), goalkeeper, central defender, central midfielder. If we sell players we need to sell. In that order.
Would be interested to see who comes in for Joao Palhinha this summer. Will be in 35-40m bracket but I've loved watching him in that excellent Fulham midfield. Perhaps his passing isn't secure enough for CL teams but he's very competent in all other aspects and still mid 20s.

cyberman

Would be interested to see who comes in for Joao Palhinha this summer. Will be in 35-40m bracket but I've loved watching him in that excellent Fulham midfield. Perhaps his passing isn't secure enough for CL teams but he's very competent in all other aspects and still mid 20s.
He’ll be 28 for the start of next season

Tyrion

Overrated overpriced English clogger. Will be a midfield Maguire.
That's my fear. I'm always skeptical when an English player is hyped this much. They're normally overrated. Even if he is good, he'll cost twice what he's worth. The best bargains are found outside the Premier league - Salah, Bruno, KDB. The rest of Europe is having cash problems. Buying from the only clubs that don't need to sell is stupid.

ti vu

It makes a lot of sense. Rice has actually developed very well in the 8 and has proven many times to be very competent at ball carrying as well as shutting out spaces.
The issue is as 6 or 8 Rice is stylistically is more Casemiro than the midfield maestro that we really need at the moment. There is different categories within ball carrier ability. For example: Maguire is a ball playing CB. Y description, doesn't mean he can fit any teams, and the Martinez type. Even some Varane conservative on ball type but quick passing is preferred to Maguire's dwelling on ball style. Even Pogba, Fred, McTominay are quite decent with ball carrying. The issue we need more than decent. We want someone truly exceptional in ball carrying, press resistant, vision. If we just going around Okayish level in these attribute, we better just sign stop gap like Rabiot for short term while focusing the fund for that no 8.

To replace Casemiro after a year, our recruitment work is truly terrible (I don't think we right now is the time to look for Casemiro replacement)

In Rainbows

I feel the same, I felt about Maguire in 2018. He is a good footballer but it's not the right profile and he isn't worth that much money to us, it's like that Leeds guy that the caf loved until last summer. We need high level technicians, guys that are comfortable in the middle of the pitch when under pressure.
That's where I'm at. It's just not the direction I want United to go with when it comes to buying our next midfielder. It's pretty obvious what type of midfielder United is lacking in, and Eriksen is merely a stop gap/depth piece. That quality type is something United is lacking within their entire midfield setup, and it hinders the team that nobody is able to provide that to a satisfactory level.

Hammondo

Buying a player that covers two positions and utilising a GK that is already at the club and has impressed when on loan is not cost effective :houllier: :houllier:
Covering 2 positions we are not in the greatest need of.

Bondi77

Covering 2 positions we are not in the greatest need of.
CM,CB,striker and GK is the way I see it.
What positions do you see us strengthening and is your budget for it and please don't factor in sales of players that no other club in their right mind would pay.

Hammondo

CM,CB,striker and GK is the way I see it.
What positions do you see us strengthening and is your budget for it and please don't factor in sales of players that no other club in their right mind would pay.
But not the CM role that Rice can play, in fact almost the opposite type.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I’ll give them McT +45-50m. That should do to be honest and he will thrive over there, eventually replacing Soucek. All they have to do is take 20-25m from that and go sign defensive midfielder from France or Belgium.

It’s not our responsibility to pay for their summer spree. We can give them a helping hand to go shopping on a budget, same as Tottenham but can’t screw ourself over to fill up their shopping basket.

Anyway, Rice will work with Casemiro because he has the legs that non of our other midfielders have. A better player than he is allowed to show in a very rigid West Ham/England structure. At United his role is expected to change because he won’t be the top dawg and will need to earn the right to play.

I’m constantly seeing he is not a Ten Hag player and it baffles me. In my opinion, a manager’s player is the guy that can follow his instructions. Unless people are assuming he is a fruit cake and does not play to instructions.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
We will revisit that in 5 years. Lavia is all assumed potential but Rice is already one of the best defensive midfielders currently in football.

NoPace

I'd rather get Mac Alister for cheaper
I think they're both overpriced if the 70M and 120M figures are close to accurate. It's hard to discuss this without knowing if we can spend 100M net or 200M net. If the former is true, we can't afford either with the need for a #9 a CM and a DM both.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We will revisit that in 5 years. Lavia is all assumed potential but Rice is already one of the best defensive midfielders currently in football.
This. Lets see if he develops in to the neves, ndidi, bissouma,tielemans type player first. If lavia joins us then becomes great then wonderful. But just as Rice is an overrated english player to some, some of these players are just foreigners who will be nowhere near as good as themselves in a years time. Overrated foreigners giving me the bissouma, tielemans, neves, cucurella, ndidi, mudryk& the countless french players that get hyped but whine down year by year, vibes.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I do wonder how often people criticising him have actually watched him for 90 minutes... my guess is: not too often.

We may need other positions sorted more, but let's not pretend we don't need someone like him too - and he'd be a long-term investment so the high price doesn't mean as much as some seem to think.

It would also mean being able to rest Casemiro at times and add strength if we wanted to go with extra defence in midfield for, let's say, away legs in Seville

Dannn411

Lets hope so. Average player and he wouldn't be 5th or 6th choice as central midfielder in the team we have now.

We need to keep away from this kind of players.
There's being biased and then there's this. He would not be 5th or 6th choice in our current midfield? That is just ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.