Declan Rice | signs for arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominos

For the 170m it’ll cost, is Rice/Havertz/Odegaard any better than Partey/Xhaka/Odegaard?

Arsenal for me would have been better spending that £ on a goalscorer upfront.
If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be baffled if they let both Partey and Xhaka go, they should be adding to what they had.

Also not convinced by the Havertz signing and the plan to convert him into a CM to play alongside Odegaard, seems risky.

Didn't know Levy did freelance consulting, tell them to do one, get Caicedo
Given your attempts to sign Caicedo in January, what is the reason you've not gone back in for him? Are you in need of home-grown due to the foreign quota?

Not sure exactly how much Brighton will accept for Caicedo but if he's £15-20m cheaper than Rice it's a no brainer. I think he's more technical than Rice and is proven in a side that plays out from the back to an elite level which should make him more attractive to the top sides.

prateik

Arsenal went from 75+15 to 100+5..
there is no way the payment terms are decent.. it's going to spread over several years..

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be baffled if they let both Partey and Xhaka go, they should be adding to what they had.

Also not convinced by the Havertz signing and the plan to convert him into a CM to play alongside Odegaard, seems risky.

Given your attempts to sign Caicedo in January, what is the reason you've not gone back in for him? Are you in need of home-grown due to the foreign quota?

Not sure exactly how much Brighton will accept for Caicedo but if he's £15-20m cheaper than Rice it's a no brainer. I think he's more technical than Rice and is proven in a side that plays out from the back to an elite level which should make him more attractive to the top sides.
Partey and Xhaka both have to go for different reasons and it's good we're making early move to replace them. Our homegrown players list lost Matt Smith and soon Holding so we might be a bit short.
We don't know what happened with Caicedo but i'm sure Brighton will now say they want 90M. Also the player twerking for 4 differents clubs in 2 weeks could be a big turn off for Arteta.
This Rice saga is turning more dangerous and risky than fecking Havertz for 65M. :wenger:

AshRK

I like rice but for £105m, that's an awful lot of money. Surely expectations will be high now.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Literally any striker would be available for 170m bar Haaland.
Mbappe would not be available. Kane is a non-starter, not at all realistic. Lewa and Benzema no, plus Arteta seems focused on younger signings not singing someone over 30 for a year or two. Of the younger crop, Osimhen just won a Serie A and was in the semis of the CL. I very much doubt he would have wanted to sign for Arsenal. Of the younger prospects, we already have Balogun on the books. So I'm not buying this narrative that Edu could have just gone out and signed some world-class striker this window that would have been better than this initial trio (if Rice even goes through in the end). Don't think it was possible at all. There are multiple positions that need to be strengthened and Rice+Havertz+Timber fill those needs.

Yeah but still too much money for him. They still need a top goal scorer which could be another 100m the way things are these days.

One thing fore sure, Arsenal are really going for it. The ambition is clear.
Sure, but that's the nature of football economics c.2023. Every club is overpaying for their premium targets. I think most fans have an anchor bias when it comes down to transfer fees and the market just doesn't work the way most of us would like it to work with the money inflation into football.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Independent regulators now please. Arsenal are distorting the market for the rest of us.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I like rice but for £105m, that's an awful lot of money. Surely expectations will be high now.
Nah, he'll be fine. One mean sliding tackle and most of the pundits and fans will be like ' that's why they brought him'.
Plus being English helps.

RuudTom83

The English media will protect him at Arsenal.

But finishing 2nd and spending over 100 million on one player…wow pressure is on Lego Pep now.

Title challenge and a deep run in the CL…no excuses.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Literally any striker would be available for 170m bar Haaland.
Honestly there aren't many available better than Jesus for our system. I can only think of Kane but thats a non starter. Our front 4 is pretty much set. We will surely need more options but you don't need 100m for that as Trossard showed that.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You do know that Westham are basing this valuation based on Enzo deal right
Firstly, I’m joking. Secondly, West Ham’s asking price have been over £100M for years. Enzo has nothing to do with it.

Nicolarra90

City always doing the same strategy. Faking interest in rivals targets only to make them spend more.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Wow, didn't think we had this kind of money. Whatever happens from here, I think we've done all we can. If WH don't accept this or if City come in with a better offer, we'll have to move on.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Letting Partey go 100% has to do with the ... off field issues let's call them. Sell quietly before anything more comes from his case and it looks like they played him only when it was convenient for them.

CloneMC16

That is a huge bid by Arsenal. Never thought they would go that far. If West Ham reject that, they're out of their minds. I hope he goes to Arsenal. Seeing City sign another great player would be depressing.

Mike Smalling

Spending £170m on Rice and Havertz would be pretty underwhelming, in my opinion. Might prove to be worth it, but they would still need a better striker to compete with City. And if they lose Xhaka and Partey they’d still be thin in midfield.

mancsarered

Arteta digging his own grave here. A club (who doesn't normally spend in this manner) spending 100m for a CDM who has made a name off knocking sideways and backward passes in a very conservative setup. I could see him getting absolutely turned inside out playing in a higher line.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Spending £170m on Rice and Havertz would be pretty underwhelming, in my opinion. Might prove to be worth it, but they would still need a better striker to compete with City. And if they lose Xhaka and Partey they’d still be thin in midfield.
Xhaka and Party will leave probably for 30m total at best. So the cost for replacement is around 140m and both players are 6 years younger.

The existing squad we also need a versatile CB/RB ( Timber), and also need a right winger to compete with Saka. Striker is fine as it is. No urgent need there.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta digging his own grave here. A club (who doesn't normally spend in this manner) spending 100m for a CDM who has made a name off knocking sideways and backward passes in a very conservative setup. I could see him getting absolutely turned inside out playing in a higher line.
We already play a high line? Which is why we collapsed when Saliba/Tomi got injured and had to play Holding

Mike Smalling

Xhaka and Party will leave probably for 30m total at best. So the cost for replacement is around 140m and both players are 6 years younger.

The existing squad we also need a versatile CB/RB ( Timber), and also need a right winger to compete with Saka. Striker is fine as it is. No urgent need there.
It’s still 140m spent without getting any deeper coverage in that area, and arguably only slightly starting XI.

About the striker, I don’t know. Gabriel Jesus got a lot of praise, but ultimately got only 11 goals. Good enough for top 4, but might fall short for another title challenge.

Might be good business, we shall see - just seems like a lot money. But at least Arsenal are doing stuff, which is more than can be said for United.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
It’s still 140m spent without getting any deeper coverage in that area, and arguably only slightly starting XI.

About the striker, I don’t know. Gabriel Jesus got a lot of praise, but ultimately got only 11 goals. Good enough for top 4, but might fall short for another title challenge.

Might be good business, we shall see - just seems like a lot money. But at least Arsenal are doing stuff, which is more than can be said for United.
Jesus was out for 3-4 months though, but I agree that we could use a more prolific goal scorer.

It's a lot of money, don't think anyone can argue otherwise. I think we are overpaying for Rice (and it may not be enough) but unfortunately that's the market now. I'd rather pay this kind of money on a proven PL player of the right age than on potential from a lesser league (ie Mudryk).

InfiniteBoredom

£105m is a lot of money and Rice isn’t worth that.

However, I do think the average fan is lagging behind on football economics. Rio had a point the other day when he said his price would be £170m in the current market. When you think about his £28m fee in 2001 against our turnover of £129m, the same percentage applies to our turnover last year would be 126m. The 100m+ transfers nowadays are the equivalent of the £30m transfers of yesteryears.

Mike Smalling

Jesus was out for 3-4 months though, but I agree that we could use a more prolific goal scorer.

It's a lot of money, don't think anyone can argue otherwise. I think we are overpaying for Rice (and it may not be enough) but unfortunately that's the market now. I'd rather pay this kind of money on a proven PL player of the right age than on potential from a lesser league (ie Mudryk).
True on the market. It’s all a bit nuts, which just makes it all the more frustrating that United can’t sell their players for shit. Chelsea are doing a phenomenal job in shifting out their deadwood for actual transfer fees, while we are talking about paying our captain to bugger off.

Edwards6

Strange how the Arsenal fans that were calling Partey the best DM in the league last season are now celebrating paying £105m to replace him

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Strange how the Arsenal fans that were calling Partey the best DM in the league last season are now celebrating paying £105m to replace him
Don't know that fans are wanting Partey to leave (with Xhaka already going) but his level dropped at the tail end of the season. Obviously was also related to injuries to Saliba/Tomi, but perhaps the club feel he's not dependable for an entire season (was injured a lot his first 2 seasons especially). And of course the legal issues are still hanging over his head, so can see why the club may feel it's time to plan without him. Ideally wouldn't mind snatching Rice and keeping Partey, and perhaps adding another MF (eg Lavia).

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
He was never that good, they're wise to replace him. The absolute frothing over him has always miffed me.
Respectfully disagree, he is top tier when fit but ultimately we haven't been able to depend on him for a whole campaign. First two seasons were plagued with injuries (esp at season run-in time) and last season he was almost flawless for 3/4 of the season then dropped off. Perhaps he doesn't have the legs and isn't getting any younger. Also had to do with having Holding behind him instead of Saliba at crucial stage of the season, no doubt.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Given how this has played out, I’m now fully expecting City to match the £105m on better terms. I just can’t imagine us getting involved in games where the first bid only went in to drive the price up for Arsenal. An additional £15m doesn’t feel such a stretch when our squad doesn’t require significant investment all over it. Arsenal (& others) are more limited because they’ll want to invest in other areas of the squad on top.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Given how this has played out, I’m now fully expecting City to match the £105m on better terms. I just can’t imagine us getting involved in games where the first bid only went in to drive the price up for Arsenal. An additional £15m doesn’t feel such a stretch when our squad doesn’t require significant investment all over it. Arsenal (& others) are more limited because they’ll want to invest in other areas of the squad on top.
If you match it it will come down to Rice. We've been hearing all this time he prefers Arsenal but of course you're a more appealing prospect for most players. At least we can say we did all we can, and then some. Happy to walk away from this now if West Ham want more or Rice chooses you. Maybe we'll go all in on Caceido again :smirk:
Only thing is we've shown our hand now so other clubs will want to milk us, but if we want to truly compete at this level again, this is what it takes.

ForeverRed1

Say what you want about the bid but arsenal are showing they are serious.

havertz, rice and timber will add serious quality to their squad

Status
Not open for further replies.