Declan Rice

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Despite some idiotic takes on here he was such a sure thing signing. Surely everyone can just admit they were wrong on this one.
Absolutely, the lad's the real deal. In Fergie's heyday, the gaffer would have sent people to report back to him who gets in and out of his and his family's house, and he would have travelled to Romford in person to pick him up and drive him to Manchester.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
Despite some idiotic takes on here he was such a sure thing signing. Surely everyone can just admit they were wrong on this one.
Time to name and shame

He’s a glorified CB.
Good player against shite teams. Overpriced and unnecessary for United, we need to steer well clear.
He's decent. But no way worth what West Ham are looking for and not suited to a team looking to boss the ball.

Probably end up being an even more expensive Schneiderlin.
His value is £50m tops. The circa £100m valuation is bonkers and so is any club prepared to pay it.
He's the Maguire MK2, just in midfield.
Stay clear.

One good game against us has you all fooled.
120 million for the blandest option on the dinner plate! :lol:
exactly the type of player we need to be avoiding. No more overspending for average english players. Can easily find someone similar to rice for half the amount west ham will want.
They’ve overpaid by about £50 million.
Bad move for both sides.
arsenal fans trying to tell themselves rice was a good buy just like united fans trying to tell themselves antony will come good
Who pays £100m for a DM ? Crazy money for a glorified David Batty.

Yes, we've done similar with Caicedo.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Absolutely, the lad's the real deal. In Fergie's heyday, the gaffer would have sent people to report back to him who gets in and out of his and his family's house, and he would have travelled to Romford in person to pick him up and drive him to Manchester.
Yeah Fergie would have signed him years ago I'm sure of it.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
But is your midfield £100 million pounds better than last season?
If your objective is to improve your defending, yes. Similar profiles are either not moving (Rodri, Tchouameni,...) or not there yet (Caicedo, Zubimendi...)
If you need to score more goals, probably not.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal

Marwood

If your objective is to improve your defending, yes. Similar profiles are either not moving (Rodri, Tchouameni,...) or not there yet (Caicedo, Zubimendi...)
You've conceded one goal less than this time last season. You've also scored 9 less. It's a team game so obviously that can't be put down to just him. But statistically and on the eye test is there much difference to last season?

I like Rice, wish we had him, but those who have decided 18 games in that he's been a £100 improvement are falling for media hype. Or simply just want it to be true.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
You've conceded one goal less than this time last season. You've also scored 9 less. It's a team game so obviously that can't be put down to just him. But statistically and on the eye test is there much difference to last season?

I like Rice, wish we had him, but those who have decided 18 games in that he's been a £100 improvement are falling for media hype. Or simply just want it to be true.
I guess there isn't "much" difference but we were really good last season and a lot of people said we'd had our moment. Teams play differently against us this year vs the first half of last season (which is why we've been popping teams 6-0 in Europe and grinding out wins in the league). Rice is also a long-term investment, i.e. not just for this season - a much better idea than signing Casemiro, for e.g.

I love him, he's amazing.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Hilarious to see the back track here. Half this board was saying he was a £50m player at best 6 months ago.
Exactly this. I remember saying on here last season that whether you rate Declan Rice had basically become a litmus test of whether you knew anything about football and being attacked by 20 angry pitchforked CAFers telling me how overrated he is and only Manchester United would be dumb enough to spend big on him. Incredible footballer. Thank feck we have Amrabat though.

Marwood

I guess there isn't "much" difference but we were really good last season and a lot of people said we'd had our moment. Teams play differently against us this year vs the first half of last season (which is why we've been popping teams 6-0 in Europe and grinding out wins in the league). Rice is also a long-term investment, i.e. not just for this season - a much better idea than signing Casemiro, for e.g.

I love him, he's amazing.
True he is a long term investment. Financially a better acquisition than Casemiro.

But before declaring he's definitely worth £100 million I think Arsenal have to win a few things. Or at least visibly improve on the pitch. Hasn't happened yet.

So far it's been £100 million to tread water.

InfiniteBoredom

Time to name and shame
Show me where I have gone back on said opinion?

He's so transformational Arsenal is a whopping 6 pts worse off compared to last season and WH has improved, you know who is a 100m midfielder with 100m performances? Bellingham.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Show me where I have gone back on said opinion?

He's so transformational Arsenal is a whopping 6 pts worse off compared to last season and WH has improved, you know who is a 100m midfielder with 100m performances? Bellingham.
Arsenal had Xhaka - Partey manning the midfield last season. This year theres only Rice. Still just 1 point off of equivalent fixtures last season. Also no CL last season.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
True he is a long term investment. Financially a better acquisition than Casemiro.

But before declaring he's definitely worth £100 million I think Arsenal have to win a few things. Or at least visibly improve on the pitch. Hasn't happened yet.

So far it's been £100 million to tread water.
If that's the bar we'd better just leave it for two or three years.

It is strange how much more people are fixating on Rice's fee than Moises Caicedo, who was £10m more and been crap.

Marwood

If that's the bar we'd better just leave it for two or three years.

It is strange how much more people are fixating on Rice's fee than Moises Caicedo, who was £10m more and been crap.
Rice is just muchh more talked about, a media darling. The vast majority of the talk is positive. It's been decided that £100 million is almost a bargain.

But yeah I think it should be left for two or three years before judging. Rather than 18 games where nothing has actually been achieved yet.

Hammondo

How is Rodri a similar profile? He plays a very different game.

InfiniteBoredom

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Really not that hilarious when you consider he only had 1 year left on his contract, he was playing for a mid table selling club in West Ham, who knew it was their last chance to make any money on an academy product. Perhaps 50m would've been shortchanging them, but 70m would've been more than fair.
He had 1 + 1 year option, so essentially 2 years. It’s the main reason why West Ham could still hold out for such a large fee.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
That just shows the fallibility of stats. Xhaka knew exactly when to stay behind and when to move ahead, Havertz has spent the last three years playing striker there's no way he provides the defensive cover that Xhaka does. And lets say you believe that, it'll still be a like for like replacement for Partey who was brilliant in the first half of last season.
This is Rice's last 3 matches, go through it and see if you have the humility to change your mind. -

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal had Xhaka - Partey manning the midfield last season. This year theres only Rice. Still just 1 point off of equivalent fixtures last season. Also no CL last season.
This is a huge difference that makes comparisons really difficult. Last season we had an amazing first half of the season which we couldn't sustain. Think Arteta has sacrificed a bit of that flair for more control this season. Last few games our attack seems to have gone up a level though. Hopefully our best football is still to come.

Marwood

This is a huge difference that makes comparisons really difficult. Last season we had an amazing first half of the season which we couldn't sustain. Think Arteta has sacrificed a bit of that flair for more control this season. Last few games our attack seems to have gone up a level though. Hopefully our best football is still to come.
Injuries were the primary factor for not sustaining form though I thought?

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Injuries were the primary factor for not sustaining form though I thought?
Injuries and lack of depth played their part for sure. But we also lacked the experience to manage the pressures of a title run-in. Hopefully we've learned this season.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
After a bit of an unremarkable start it feels like he's starting to find his feet and how he should function within the structure of the team. Does really well in braking up play and looks good in the defensive transitions as well. Pops up with the odd goal here and there also which adds up in the long run. Not sure if the improvement on Partey was really needed compared to other areas, but considering the latter's off-field issues the transfer is looking good. If Havertz can get a bit more involved as well I think they've done well enough over the summer window.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
I do think Rice is better than Partey. And Partey is absolutely great on his day. But he's been out injured for most of this season and his absences have cost us badly in previous years.

ForFuchsSake

He’s an outstanding player. I’m surprised at the vitriol directed at him.

I wonder how much of that stems from the price tag and associating those kind of figures with a dominant, dictating flair midfielder and won’t give him credit as he is stylistically quite a simplistic player.

Regardless, he’s a consistent 7/8 out of 10 weekly performer who shields his back four superbly, carries and uses the ball very effectively and, perhaps most importantly, has a transformative effect on the whole team and those all around him. Not comparing them ability-wise, but he’s the closest modern-day player to a Keane in the 90s/early 00s.

Him and Saliba have been Arsenal’s two standout performers and often compensate for the defensive frailties of Zinchenko. Made even more impressive by the fact Havertz is also more often than not, a complete non-entity in midfield (both offensively and defensively).

Rice would have been brilliant for us despite our malaise.

Reactions: Cheimoon

InfiniteBoredom

That just shows the fallibility of stats. Xhaka knew exactly when to stay behind and when to move ahead, Havertz has spent the last three years playing striker there's no way he provides the defensive cover that Xhaka does. And lets say you believe that, it'll still be a like for like replacement for Partey who was brilliant in the first half of last season.
This is Rice's last 3 matches, go through it and see if you have the humility to change your mind. -
So stats can only be used when it paints him in the best of lights, got it.

You Arse fans are so incredibly precious. Yes he’s a good player, and yes in hindsight getting him has been a good move because Partey spends this season crocked and if in the end you win the league then the money has been worth it, that doesn’t mean that anybody who thinks Declan Rice isn’t the best thing since sliced bread has to eat crows because he happens to do the one thing he’s good at consistently. West Ham didn’t fall apart, instead they’ve improved, and his integration has merely sustained your level, not elevating you.The Utd fans pining after him are even more pathetic, this is a team that can’t score for shite and somehow spunking £100m on a player who’s best in your last third is going to solve that?

Oranges038

Bit early to be blowing about him being worth 100m. It's only been a few months. Let's see where he is in a and how many trophies he has under his belt in a couple of years.

Bobski

The vitriol is because people hate to have to climb down from a point they have previously defended on the internet. His profile was ideal, a big, strong, mobile, intelligent, technically capable midfielder, rarely injured, which the probability to give 7/8 years of top level play and immediately solve a long term problem. Now he is not going to do Bellingham things but he is the perfect player to give you the stability for guys like Bellingham to excel, and take the acclaim.

RuudtheRed

I don't know if he is worth 100m but he is certainly a very good, very accomplished player who shows no signs of slowing down for a top club in the league. Add that to his relatively young age and it's been excellent transfer business for Arsenal. The fact that Italy's players were astonished at him being subbed off in the Euros final says it all.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
So stats can only be used when it paints him in the best of lights, got it.

You Arse fans are so incredibly precious. Yes he’s a good player, and yes in hindsight getting him has been a good move because Partey spends this season crocked and if in the end you win the league then the money has been worth it, that doesn’t mean that anybody who thinks Declan Rice isn’t the best thing since sliced bread has to eat crows because he happens to do the one thing he’s good at consistently. West Ham didn’t fall apart, instead they’ve improved, and his integration has merely sustained your level, not elevating you.The Utd fans pining after him are even more pathetic, this is a team that can’t score for shite and somehow spunking £100m on a player who’s best in your last third is going to solve that?
So it is a win win win for all three parties(Arsenal, West Ham and Rice) involved. He is expensive but he delivers what is expected of him. West ham took the money and improved the team. That's good business.

Josh 76

City must be kicking themselves for missing out. He would have been the perfect Rodri replacement/partner.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
He's so good Arsenal have 6 points less than at the same stage last season..:

https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-premier-league-2022-2023-spieltag/18/

It's also worth nothing, that if City win their game in hand they'll be only 3 points behind rather than the 4 last year after 18 games. Unfortunately it's Liverpool who have relatively improved a lot since last year...
It's not an apples to apples comparison of course. Last season was pretty injury free at this point whereas this season has been more injuries. A few others aren't quite as good as last year. Plus the Havertz experiment. So it's not just a case of Rice out vs Rice in. Overall, I see now way the team without Rice would be top of the table. He's definitely been an essential improvement and it's a long term investment.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's so good Arsenal have 6 points less than at the same stage last season..:

https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-premier-league-2022-2023-spieltag/18/

It's also worth nothing, that if City win their game in hand they'll be only 3 points behind rather than the 4 last year after 18 games. Unfortunately it's Liverpool who have relatively improved a lot since last year...
Chelsea spent £400m and have 3 points less. We spent £200m and have 10 points less. Not sure what the point is.

Zen

Almost everything fell Arsenal's way last year, so as above, up to this point, it's impossible to compare. Nor would I be questioning Rice specifically even if they miraculously ended up 4th. He's genuinely consistent, and doesn't seemed phased by much from a mental perspective, minimal panicking from him.

Don't kid yourself, it's annoying as feck that he pops with these mega late injury time goals. But despite the poster above claiming they are "very different" - Pep would happily be popping him into Rodri's shoes when injured, unlike Kalvin Phillips. He'll prove to be one of those annoying bastards who's solid in any role, his mindset towards the game itself and his work ethic are as good as you could get.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea spent £400m and have 3 points less. We spent £200m and have 10 points less. Not sure what the point is.
The players added haven't added to the team from last year, all gone backwards. So far anyway.

In our case, very expensively backwards!

Except Liverpool who are better.

Maniron

The fact that he moved this summer and we didn't get him but Arsenal did is unforgivable.
Also, ETH has to explain at some point why he went and wasted so much of our budget on Mount.
If Rice wanted to move north he would have gone to City where he is pretty much guaranteed to win stuff.
He wanted to stay in London where his family are, and Arteta sold him his vision.

ZainCRse7en

If Rice wanted to move north he would have gone to City where he is pretty much guaranteed to win stuff.
He wanted to stay in London where his family are, and Arteta sold him his vision.
Surely if we came knocking and he had to choose between Arsenal and us, he would choose us? We are a bigger club than Arsenal and he would slot right into our midfield knowing it's probably Case's last season here. Problem is we wasted the bulk of the budget unnecessarily on Mount - a player we don't need.