Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

The best would be to pair Fred with Rice, not only their names match with each other (Fred Rice, YUM!) their game styles match with each other too. Rice is someone to sit deep, to act as an anchor while Fred would be the workhouse, the player to attack oppo players high up the pitch, I'd suggest you to watch Copa America where Fred has been playing superbly alongside Casemiro for Brazil. Thats how i imagine Fred Rice Partnership for United.
I know Fred has some great qualities, and in some ways would compliment Rice.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I fear Rice will be too expensive, but if we were to sign him - we will have the core of a team that could dominate English football for the better part of 10 years - Rice, Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, AWB, Shaw, McTominay
And this is the plan of Ole in my opinion. Even at our best under SAF what we had was a core British team that were not just good for a season but could extend their ability for a decade playing with passion, dedication and loyalty to win for United during that time too.

Ole knew this because he was a player within such a squad.

I can see he wants to add the Sancho’s, Grealish’s, Maguires and Rice’s to this team because he does see the benefits of it even if some of our fans may not. You could see it the moment he took a punt on Daniel James being that next Welsh kicker for us - even if it hasn’t exactly turned out to be.

Last edited:

Idxomer

I fear Rice will be too expensive, but if we were to sign him - we will have the core of a team that could dominate English football for the better part of 10 years - Rice, Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, AWB, Shaw, McTominay
Yeah, that's not gonna happen with three players lacking a lot in technical ability.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
And wasn't young Keane more of an attacking midfielder?

He scored 33 goals for Nottingham at the same age as Rice who only scored 5 goals so far in his career.
Yeh he could score a few, avg around 10 goals a season in Forest. But I thought young Keane is more of an all action box to box player who could defend as well as attack. Can’t remember his Nottingham time but from my memory, his strength has always been his aggression and being very combative. He pass the ball well too, not a creative passer but he circulate the ball well in midfield.

Highfather_24

How can anyone watch this Italian midfield here and decide “I know just what United need, a midfielder who’s crap on the ball”.

Blows my mind.
All whilst 2 of the 3 serviceable midfielders at the club are already similarly crap on the ball.
Our issue last season was that we had problems transitioning play from deeper with the McFred pairing. So what we need is a player who can evade the press and break lines via a pass or dribble at a high level or potential high level. Camavinga fits the profile from a potential POV, but Rice/Ndidi fail. So if it comes down to a either or situation, then we have to go with Camavinga IMO, from the players we're linked with.
Too limited on the ball. McT/Fred are already too limited on the ball, we dont need another midfielder who cant bring the ball out.

Camavinga>Rice.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yeh he could score a few, avg around 10 goals a season in Forest. But I thought young Keane is more of an all action box to box player who could defend as well as attack. Can’t remember his Nottingham time but from my memory, his strength has always been his aggression and being very combative. He pass the ball well too, not a creative passer but he circulate the ball well in midfield.
At Forrest he played quite a lot as an attacking midfielder

Red Comet

Still a lot of people it seems have only seen him play for England doing simple stuff. Fair enough but that’s not the full picture.

Here you will see a cleaner tackler, give and go, running with the ball, heading, passing through the lines and an impressive long pass.

the guy would be brilliant for our midfield. He really is like a young Keane

ignore the crappy music

It may be my nostalgia lens, but I'm quite sure Keane was already a more complete player at Nottingham Forest before he joined us.

arnie_ni

How can anyone watch this Italian midfield here and decide “I know just what United need, a midfielder who’s crap on the ball”.

Blows my mind.
Came to post this and seen someone already quoted you.

Can fans not see the need for a verratti or Jorginho that can just dominate the ball, play through the lines and feed out attackers?

Thats what we need.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Still a lot of people it seems have only seen him play for England doing simple stuff. Fair enough but that’s not the full picture.

Here you will see a cleaner tackler, give and go, running with the ball, heading, passing through the lines and an impressive long pass.

ignore the crappy music

I've said it before, to me he reminds me more of an older Keane, when he was 32-33 and more of a sitter instead of box-to-box. And make no mistake, that Keane was also a magnificent footballer.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Claiming he is young Keane is way too off. He never impress as much as you claim in a 90 mins match, posting a YouTube footage to prove anything would make Mctominay looks good too mind. More like a new Schneiderlin for me though, which isn’t bad at that time as he was also supposed to be our dream signing.
Keane said it first not me

golden_blunder

Staff
:houllier:

You have never watched Keane I guess. Probably one of the craziest talks I've heard here. Rice doesn't deserve to lace Carrick's boots let alone Keane.

This guy was a CB in his young years then later moved up to the midfield. He plays basically like a defender playing in the midfield. He's good with that but offer nothing offensively. I'd like him here but £60m max. That includes English tax. He would be a very good centre back that will help us to have more depth.
#2 Keane said it first not me. I guess he doesn’t know himself eh

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Keane said it first not me
Keane was just blowing smoke up his ass as they did a whole video segment of Rice being in love with Keane. He's criticised him many times before that and they even showed Rice the video himself :lol:

Do you really think Rice is the man to carry us to league and CL glory? It'll be interesting to see how he does against the Italians, we got outpossesed by Ukraine!

golden_blunder

Staff
Keane was just blowing smoke up his ass as they did a whole video segment of Rice being in love with Keane. He's criticised him many times before that and they even showed Rice the video himself :lol:

Do you really think Rice is the man to carry us to league and CL glory? It'll be interesting to see how he does against the Italians, we got outpossesed by Ukraine!
Again you are making your judgement based on his tournament despite many people telling you that’s not how he plays in the league. He’s obviously been told to play a certain role for England

you know I’ve posted a video showing you all that he is capable of the things people say he cant do such as breaking the lines and long passing.

yet everyone wants to pick up a throw away comment rather than address the points they are wrong about. Stop thinking this version of rice is it. It’s not!

golden_blunder

Staff
That’s what excites me, a young team very much in the style of Fergies teamsthat can go on to dominate.

golden_blunder

Staff
I've said it before, to me he reminds me more of an older Keane, when he was 32-33 and more of a sitter instead of box-to-box. And make no mistake, that Keane was also a magnificent footballer.
You’re not wrong, similar style but I suspect Keane was talking about a similar range of skills and a good character that wants to win

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Here's Fred, breaking lines via a pass or dribble and evading pressure whilst playing for Shakhtar. (Some games in the UCL)

MDFC Manager

People hated that when hererra did it here.
Indeed.

Then again people also hate it when Pogba tries to evade the press to make something happen and lose the ball in the process. Guess it's going to take a very special player to please both the management and the fans :lol:

Came to post this and seen someone already quoted you.

Can fans not see the need for a verratti or Jorginho that can just dominate the ball, play through the lines and feed out attackers?

Thats what we need.
I think the Pogba factor has done a number on many fans, as though a incredibly defensive DM will somehow be key to just letting everyone else including Pogba attack at will.
The way I see it is that Rice would be handy in a handful of games per season, but for the other 90% of the season you'd be tearing your hair out desperate for a midfield with more quality.

golden_blunder

Staff
Right Ronaldo once said Fabio Paim is going to be better player than him too. Of course we can take players words for granted and preach it as gospel.
I said it tongue in cheek. My “gospel” which no one has commented on is to try and dispel this myth that he cannot pass, he can’t break the lines and he has no long pass. It’s literally all there in the video. Yet people would rather argue about a throw away comment.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Again you are making your judgement based on his tournament despite many people telling you that’s not how he plays in the league. He’s obviously been told to play a certain role for England

you know I’ve posted a video showing you all that he is capable of the things people say he cant do such as breaking the lines and long passing.

yet everyone wants to pick up a throw away comment rather than address the points they are wrong about. Stop thinking this version of rice is it. It’s not!
I watch West Ham a lot, I know exactly how Rice plays. I didn't fancy him before England, and watching play for England reinforces my opinion.

He isn't good enough on the ball.

Obviously we prioritise different things from midfielders, I don't disagree he'd be decent defensively - but I don't feel like United need MORE defensive stability from midfield, Mctominay and Fred already have that pretty well covered.

For £70m+ i'd be expecting somebody pretty special to come in and improve the side, and Rice isn't that guy.

It seems the club are looking at Camavinga now anyway, so hopefully that ends the rumours.

golden_blunder

Staff
Here's Fred, breaking lines via a pass or dribble and evading pressure whilst playing for Shakhtar. (Some games in the UCL)

Your point i assume is that anyone can look good in YouTube? I know that. I’m also aware that Fred can do those things. inconsistently.

the reason I posted that video of rice is simply because people said “he’s just a cb”. “He’s not capable of doing those things.”
they clearly are watching him ONLY playing for England .

we aren’t even linked to him in a while. I’m just debating the load of nonsense on his abilities that people keep posting

Idxomer

I think the possibility of him coming to United or any other club this transfer window is very slim. Chelsea might get desperate from all the rejections and splash the money for him, but I don't see any other option for him.

but I don't feel like United need MORE defensive stability from midfield
Same here, it's not like we regularly have issues even against the likes of City. We're crap at defending set pieces for sure, but being played through the middle isn't a massive issue that we need to remedy.
It's why I'm convinced many wouldn't be as desperate for Rice if Pogba wasn't at the club, many see Rice as the silver bullet to just let Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Sancho & Cavani attack at will.

golden_blunder

Staff
I watch West Ham a lot, I know exactly how Rice plays. I didn't fancy him before England, and watching play for England reinforces my opinion.

He isn't good enough on the ball.

Obviously we prioritise different things from midfielders, I don't disagree he'd be decent defensively - but I don't feel like United need MORE defensive stability from midfield, Mctominay and Fred already have that pretty well covered.

For £70m+ i'd be expecting somebody pretty special to come in and improve the side, and Rice isn't that guy.

It seems the club are looking at Camavinga now anyway, so hopefully that ends the rumours.
Either you haven’t got my main point or you haven’t watched him properly for West Ham. If you had youd know that West Ham version is very different from England version. I keep saying it, he’s playing within himself, obviously been asked to do a job.

look I like Camavinga but he’s 18 so people expecting him to come straight in will be back in the forum in January still talking about McFred etc. If we buy him it’s for the future. Sure he will get games but he won’t play every game. Not that I am against signing him, he’s a good young player

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with

ignore the crappy music

You can make most players look good in a compilation, but here is a good number of line breaking passes that McT just not has in his locker. Must say I was pleasantly surprised to see all them nice passes.
And defensively there is just no competition, Rice with his tackling, awareness and understanding of the game is just streets ahead of McT who himself is a hard working honest player but lacks genuin quality.
Bottom line, having McTominay in our ranks is no reason at all for not buying Rice.

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Sooner or later Rice will have to move. His profile is rising and West Ham are pretty economical with their players' salaries.

golden_blunder

Staff
Same here, it's not like we regularly have issues even against the likes of City. We're crap at defending set pieces for sure, but being played through the middle isn't a massive issue that we need to remedy.
It's why I'm convinced many wouldn't be as desperate for Rice if Pogba wasn't at the club, many see Rice as the silver bullet to just let Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Sancho & Cavani attack at will.
I don’t. Pogba I am ambivalent whether he stays or goes.

for me, rice is one of those players who will grow and grow amongst good players. Fergie would have snapped him up. We’d be an all round good side capable of playing and mixing it.

that’s before we even get into picking up a replacement for Pogba. Maybe that’s Camavinga?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's not just about breaking the lines or evading the press, but rather it's doing that at a high level. Fred in the video I posted in my previous post is also breaking lines/evading pressure. But watching us over the course of the season and it's pretty clear to me, we need a top class technician whether he be a young player with high potential or a more experienced head. It looks like we might be going for Camavinga, which for me is the correct move over a player like Ndidi or Rice if it comes down to a either or situation right now, due to the young French players potential ability to progress play from deeper.

golden_blunder

Staff
It's not just about breaking the lines or evading the press, but rather it's doing that at a high level. Fred in the video I posted in my previous post is also breaking lines/evading pressure. But watching us over the course of the season and it's pretty clear to me, we need a top class technician whether he be a young player with high potential or a more experienced head. It looks like we might be going for Camavinga, which for me is the correct move over a player like Ndidi or Rice if it comes down to a either or situation right now, due to the young French players potential ability to progress play from deeper.
I have a suspicion that he’s a Pogba replacement though. And also he’s 18.

that’s why I hope that we aren’t done at DCM/CM

edit: the goalposts are suddenly moving, now it’s about breaking the lines at a higher level. I have an issue with that because breaking a line is breaking a line whether it’s Luton or madrid.
secondly the first argument is that he can’t do it at all - disproven my actual footage.
Thirdly - best not buy Camavinga then, I mean he only plays for Rennes

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I have a suspicion that he’s a Pogba replacement though. And also he’s 18.

that’s why I hope that we aren’t done at DCM/CM

edit: the goalposts are suddenly moving, now it’s about breaking the lines at a higher level. I have an issue with that because breaking a line is breaking a line whether it’s Luton or madrid.
secondly the first argument is that he can’t do it at all - disproven my actual footage.
Thirdly - best not buy Camavinga then, I mean he only plays for Rennes
I can't speak for anyone else but when i'm talking about breaking lines or evading pressure, i'm talking about a midfielder doing that at a high level. Midfielders at most EPL clubs can pass between the lines, but if our aspirations as a club are to challenge Europes elite, then we need to aim higher. Declan Rice could still be a handy signing next to a more adventurous midfielder, who is adept at playing the deeper role. But we don't have that player imo, and I'd like to see us sign that profile of player before we look to sign a more defensive minded midfielder.

golden_blunder

Staff
It's really not though, as we have seen with the likes of Zaha, Maguire, Grealish. Hell, just look at how much we had to shell out for England's 6th choice right back.

West Ham have absolutely no reason whatsoever to sell. Too much money in the English game now.
Look Sancho went for 75-80m and he’s an attacker. That should be our reference point. I personally think they’d deal at 50m + a player like Lindelof
Only kidding, lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.