Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Because you can even play without a striker, our midfield is dreadful, not good enough, and is the main reason we are doing so badly.
That its literally only City that does that, every other team has a dependable source of goals.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Because you can even play without a striker, our midfield is dreadful, not good enough, and is the main reason we are doing so badly.
It's fair to say both need big investment, which is another reason why spending all our budget on one decent/solid midfielder isn't the smart play.

If we get a proper manager that focuses on team work then I think with Fred/Fernandes and a CDM we can manage with the others rotating in.

A striker and a CDM is a must for this window, and perhaps another RW depending on the Greenwood/Amad situation.

Abraxas

I would probably argue that Kante, Hojbjerg and Casemiro are outliers. Clause, contract ending and just great scout work.

Fabinho, Rodri and Jorginho are a good benchmark, but Rodri had a clause in his contract and would probably be more expensive if not. Fabinho and Jorginho was probably cheaper due to coming from Ligue and Serie A. And you could probably add a bit of inflation on those prices as well.

In the list of The Atlethic, where they tried adjusting for "football inflation", the fee of Roy Keane today was just north of £90 mill. Carrick at £69 mill. Based on these figures, you could probably argue that somewhere between £65 mill and £90 mill would be fair for this type of player. Considering his age and playing for a good PL-team I would expect it to be in the north end of that interval. I have a feeling that West Ham will refuse to sell for anything below £100 mill. Maybe they will just refuse to sell period.

The worry for Man Utd is that we really do not have any great options. Lets face it, Tchouameni will have other options. So I could easily see the club beeing willing and able to pay a premium on top of what is fair.
Just to present the alternate argument, isn't it our scouts job to ensure we have other options?

Rice is all well and good, a blind man could identify he is a good option and I'd love to have him.

But we have people employed by the club all over the world who's sole job is to ensure we have information available to the club on players for every position. This is what we have been doing poorly in.

If we think about it, the next crop of great DMs are out there. Just as the next great players for every position are out there. They are at various stages of development of course, and you could say Man Utd need one that is towards the end of that progression. But they simply must be out there, logically speaking.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Just to present the alternate argument, isn't it our scouts job to ensure we have other options?

Rice is all well and good, a blind man could identify he is a good option and I'd love to have him.

But we have people employed by the club all over the world who's sole job is to ensure we have information available to the club on players for every position. This is what we have been doing poorly in.

If we think about it, the next crop of great DMs are out there. Just as the next great players for every position are out there. They are at various stages of development of course, and you could say Man Utd need one that is towards the end of that progression. But they simply must be out there, logically speaking.
They 100% do have options, but when it comes down to this transfer committee, it's clear they are scared to take risks. It's understandable in some ways, no one wants to reminded they gave the seal of approval to the Pepe signing for example, or just completely waste money on a player that won't play for us like DVB, but I hope Ralf should have a bit more conviction, being involved in so many successful transfers at other teams.

Abraxas

They 100% do have options, but when it comes down to this transfer committee, it's clear they are scared to take risks. It's understandable in some ways, no one wants to reminded they gave the seal of approval to the Pepe signing for example, or just completely waste money on a player that won't play for us like DVB, but I hope Ralf should have a bit more conviction, being involved in so many successful transfers at other teams.
But at the same time that approach cannot always work. You do of course need to buy proven quality, and pay the necessary fees occasionally. Man Utd has always done that. Most top clubs do that as it is a shortcut to developing a player when you want immediate outcomes.

But we can't keep spending these gargantuan fees when they aren't correlating with successful players. Even if we start to buy better that approach is probably going to cost another billion to create a side.

At the moment we're giving the seal of approval to transfers that don't work, cheap or expensive and the club has its name across all of them. We really need to step it up in recruitment. If we're one of the top sides in the world we should have the top 1% of people identifying players and then maybe we wouldn't be stumbling around for a DM target and thinking the only name in the hat is Rice.

Can't remember the last impressive piece of scouting we did.

caid

I feel like we need a summer spending 50m ish on about 5 players. Selling players to fund others in places. Theres just too much to do throughout the squad for spending huge sums on one or two players. Next summer or the year after we can supplement the ones that worked out with big 'guaranteed' transfers at which point Rice might start being semi available with a year or two left on his contract.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think he's an absolute beast but no way should we be spending that much on him when we won't be in the CL, will have a limited budget with loads to do, and we can get Kamara on a free. Nobody is going to spend 100m on Rice. Let him ride another year on his contract and maybe in 2023 we'll be in a better position to spend big with less things to address, and if Kamara isn't the guy, then we go big on Rice.

Pickle85

Not that it'll make any difference but I can't imagine moyes would be massively keen to sell to us especially

gajender

Not that it'll make any difference but I can't imagine moyes would be massively keen to sell to us especially
It's not his decision to make fortunately as you mentioned but anyway let's see how West ham reacts when the actual offer is on the table at the moment it's all noise and conjecture .

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
But at the same time that approach cannot always work. You do of course need to buy proven quality, and pay the necessary fees occasionally. Man Utd has always done that. Most top clubs do that as it is a shortcut to developing a player when you want immediate outcomes.

But we can't keep spending these gargantuan fees when they aren't correlating with successful players. Even if we start to buy better that approach is probably going to cost another billion to create a side.

At the moment we're giving the seal of approval to transfers that don't work, cheap or expensive and the club has its name across all of them. We really need to step it up in recruitment. If we're one of the top sides in the world we should have the top 1% of people identifying players and then maybe we wouldn't be stumbling around for a DM target and thinking the only name in the hat is Rice.

Can't remember the last impressive piece of scouting we did.
Oh I'm in total agreement, but I was just saying it's not the scouts fault. There's no way they're all just putting forward Kane and Rice - they have regional areas to cover. It comes down to the Head Scout and transfer committee overulling them.

Hammondo

£150... How much would Sergio Busquets be worth if he was his age right now?

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
It's not up to Moyes so I don't know why he is spitting out numbers. It's way too much anyway and would no doubt come with a huge salary. Utd need to be smarter in the market and pick up bargains on reasonable wages.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He’ll be a great signing, have wanted him for years, but we need to build a team first and we can’t do that and sign Declan this summer. Thankfully at these prices he’ll still be there next year with a year remaining. Same goes for Kane. Let’s get in 5 top young players, integrate some of the great youth we have, build a team with an identity then worry about the final pieces next year.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
As a player I'd be ticked off to hear my manager spout such bollocks. But mostly I'd be regretting the contract I signed.

Adam-Utd

Moyes probably knows how Woodward operates. Splash a big shiny price on him and he will knock it down 20m ;)

PlayerOne

Will never understand why players who have a chance to join top clubs sign big contracts without an clause in there. If Rice wants to move on West Ham hold all the cards here, same for Kane

ti vu

Will never understand why players who have a chance to join top clubs sign big contracts without an clause in there. If Rice wants to move on West Ham hold all the cards here, same for Kane
I think in both case, they were underpaid with their previous contract. They wanted to stay at that time, but with improved wage (Kane kept the leaving option open with some sort of verbal agreement with Levy)

Abraxas

The presumption is he wants to move on, but maybe Rice isn't that bothered about moving on during the duration of this contract. The next one is the potentially career defining deal.

I think the reason they do it is financial. They take the here and now money rather than the money down the road. If I'm a chairman I'm not offering the same deal with an unfavorable release clause, there has to be some give and take there.

Kane ballsed up that's for sure but I think Rice was young enough it was a fine decision for him. Probably doubled or tripled his wage.

redshaw

We'd be maxing out at half that at 75m so Rice is staying there until more years are off his contract. Perhaps Rice has an eye on moving to Chelsea later on for a cheaper price, see how new owners do, we keep hearing about his preference so even if a London move doesn't happen it will be a couple of years before he moves to us or elsewhere.

UpWithRivers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60962430

"West Ham manager David Moyes said England midfielder Declan Rice will not be sold for less than £150m - and is worth "north" of that figure"

Corr blimey guv'nor.
Moyes knows how United negotiate.
How much do you want? 150.
Ok we'll offer 20.
No. 150.
Ok 40.
No 150.
OK last offer 50
No 150
50 last offer we arnt moving for anything!

Last day of transfer window
100?
No 150
ok 110.
No 150
120. Times running out. pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeee.
Ok done.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Think Rice will be available for 100m this year, 80m the next and 60m in the final year of his contract. Can only see Utd spend the kind of money needed to get him in the next two years if they want him.

Tavern in the town

His fan club is becoming ridiculous. I don’t want to live in a world where people think Declan fecking Rice should be the 3rd most expensive footballer ever.

ForeverRed1

I feel like we need a summer spending 50m ish on about 5 players. Selling players to fund others in places. Theres just too much to do throughout the squad for spending huge sums on one or two players. Next summer or the year after we can supplement the ones that worked out with big 'guaranteed' transfers at which point Rice might start being semi available with a year or two left on his contract.
right back, centre back, DM, right winger and striker. Minimum.

Castia

He's getting Harry Kane'd

Too good for a 'smaller' club but completely outpriced for a move.

Nobody is paying 150m for Rice, infact they'd struggle to get 100m like it showed last summer these players need to start getting release clauses written into their contracts.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Meh, Moyes doesn't want to lose his best player. He's going to say that.
Exactly. People getting their knickers in a twist over fairly typical posturing. As if West Ham are going to publicly declare the actual figure they'd accept.

SAF is the GOAT

Genuinely asking : Do you think that he'll fit to a Ten Hag system ? where we need to move the ball all the time ?

Stadjer

Greed i suppose.... a release clause isnt good for the club so in return the clubs wants something that is good for the club. Lower wages, lower bonus. Player wants as much money as possible so signs contract with highest wages and no release clause.

Players can always go on strike or make themself impossible so that releaseclause isnt that important for them. If a player really wants to go they usually go.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Genuinely asking : Do you think that he'll fit to a Ten Hag system ? where we need to move the ball all the time ?
Definitely.

The way he used/uses De Jong and Alvarez as CB/CDM hybrid players (occasionally Blind aswell) consistently dropping in and out of a makeshift back 3 (aka the defensive version of the False 9) is what Rice does almost too naturally at West ham.

I've personally felt that if Ten Hag had the choice of Tchouameni or Rice then he would more likely pick Rice (not due to who is better, more who he would tactically sign). Then I look at Pochettino's signings and uses of players like Wanyama, Ndombele, Sissoko etc and they remind me of the Tchouameni in your face type of defensive midfielder.

The one thing about Ten Hag to me though is that he doesn't really seem like a heavy purchasing manager and more the type of manager that tries to get the best out of what he has; but that could change once he is at United compared to how he managed Ajax.

Hammondo

Nonexistent last night. With 11 men they were completely beaten in midfield at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.