Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatPack

We will most likely need 4 players this summer (CD, CDM, CM & striker). No way anyone would be stupid enough to pay 100-150m mill for Rice. And then again the Man Utd board have shown that kind of stupidity in the past.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Yeah I mean I think £80-85m would be OK, £100m is really a bit of a stretch....

£150m is outrageous. You could probably get Bellingham and Tchouameni for that.

croadyman

We will most likely need 4 players this summer (CD, CDM, CM & striker). No way anyone would be stupid enough to pay 100-150m mill for Rice. And then again the Man Utd board have shown that kind of stupidity in the past.
Need a player for right side too either whether that's more of an attacking RB or an actually left footed RW

Son

Looking at the fee as some have stated now this deal is just not worth the hassle. Good player but how good I don’t really know in a side looking to dominate the ball in the biggest games.

There are other option pretty much on the same level arguably if set up right for a fraction of the price.

Kane is a little different as there aren’t many in the world capable of giving us that output but I would argue we just hold onto Ronaldo for another year as he does a job well enough to assess the situation next summer.

We aren’t gonna win the league so throwing £100m at someone in their late 20’s seems a bit premature.

Maniron

Did what was required of him tonight for England, no more no less, very disciplined performance, puts the team first

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Hes become a very mature player. If hes available at £80mill may as well go for it. Most likely West Ham will price him out of a move and he will probably leave on a free at end of contract

ForeverRed1

Pricing him out of any move is dangerous for West Ham, he can easily sit on his contract and leave for free or for much less in a couple years...

Teja

What do people think is an appropriate amount of money to pay for a DM these days? Some quality ones in recent memory:

Hjojberg: 15M + 100k p/w
Fabinho: 40M + 180k p/w
Rodri: 60M + 120k p/w
Casemiro: Free + 190k (?) p/w
Kante: 32M + 300k p/w
Jorginho: 50M + 110k p/w

Anything above 50-60M for Rice seems like a stretch if we developed some sort of wage / transfer structure internally.

caid

What do people think is an appropriate amount of money to pay for a DM these days? Some quality ones in recent memory:

Anything above 50-60M for Rice seems like a stretch if we developed some sort of wage / transfer structure internally.
I think City paid Rodri's release clause and that was a reluctant sale. So i'd say thats the high bar. Anything beyond that is overpaying outside of the most established, talented, proven players in club football.

SAF is the GOAT

If anyone is going to suffer from that price tag its only him just like Harry does.

If he's going to be sold for 80-100m the whole world is going to laugh at us.

Abraxas

I don't think 80 million is ridiculous, really. It is when you look at it as 80 million for a footballer, it's ludicrous from that perspective but every deal tends to be. But within the current parameters that define the market there is nothing unusual about it.

He's a relatively young player with 10 years ahead of him, he's improving constantly, he's under a long term contract, he's at a club that is okay financially, he's a premier league footballer so there is no adaptation or wondering if he's going to be any good.

West Ham have every ace up their sleeve with Rice and these things all contribute to value. It's often something that is far beyond how fans assess player values based on what X foreign player costs or stats or just something plucked from nowhere that arbitrarily defines perceived value. Every reason that clubs look at is ticked for him being an expensive player and justifiably so. It's a very singular case, nothing like picking up a random DM from France.

I think he'd be worth it if we didn't have such a mess to deal with. There's a very good argument that we would get more benefit from a proper reset under a new manager and you can't blow your load on a DM and do that. But for a club that are very rich and have a precise need he would justify that outlay in my book.

If anyone is going to suffer from that price tag its only him just like Harry does.

If he's going to be sold for 80-100m the whole world is going to laugh at us.
Yup, and a bad season, a la Maguire now and suddenly his sideways and backwards passing and lack of finesse on the ball becomes a meme and he gets booed for England. That kinda price for that skill set would be adding utterly ludicrous pressure.

Maniron

Yup, and a bad season, a la Maguire now and suddenly his sideways and backwards passing and lack of finesse on the ball becomes a meme and he gets booed for England. That kinda price for that skill set would be adding utterly ludicrous pressure.
Can you not see how good he is at either breaking up the oppositions play or how his positional sense stops it developing?

How do you put a price on that?

Idxomer

Pricing him out of any move is dangerous for West Ham, he can easily sit on his contract and leave for free or for much less in a couple years...
Good point and he would still have all of his prime years ahead of him.

Abraxas

Can you not see how good he is at either breaking up the oppositions play or how his positional sense stops it developing?

How do you put a price on that?
Easy, 80-100 million!

Then we win the CL, which may be worth 100 million on a good day.

We're evens.

Maniron

Easy, 80-100 million!

Then we win the CL, which may be worth 100 million on a good day.

We're evens.
Yes, and everyone would be ecstatic about that if it was on the table.

Also, it's not just about next season. this would be a long term investment, a player you can build a team around.

Maniron

Interesting that he was top of the BBC player ratings for both the England international friendlies, as voted for by fans rather than press. And both games he played within himself as per GS's instructions

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
Firstly, Rice has three years left on his deal at West Ham, not two.

Secondly, even if he were to leave in two summers' time, he will still only be 25. He may well be the captain of England at that point. The fee would still be very high, even with just a year on his deal. Someone will still pay big money.

Finally, if clubs are prepared to pay £67m for Sancho, £80m for Maguire and £100m for Grealish, then it's stretching credibility that West Ham will ever be able to sell a fee under £80m-£100m to their support. It would at least need to be at Grealish levels.

At the moment there is no apparent need for West Ham to sell and there doesn't appear to be any contractual urgency either. If the player agitates to leave, the club may sell, but only at a price that reflects his value and reflects well against the kind of names mentioned above. The club is believed to have > £100m available to spend this summer anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: golden_blunder

432JuanMata

While I’d love him here it looks like Pogba will go and we need 2/3 midfielders so spending 80m on one is really not a good idea

edcunited1878

Pass on Rice for the upcoming season. It's not good for him to change clubs right before the WC in the same calendar year. It would destabilize him considerably. Very good talent and would immediately bench McTominay, and allow United to go with a true 3 man midfield with Fred and Bruno or someone else.

Maguire was a very steep over pay overall, especially for a defender. Grealish and Sancho are forward line players, thus should be a premium. Rice shouldn't be going anywhere north of 75M pounds/Euros/USD. If he is, then there are other solutions for just above half that price.

caid

Firstly, Rice has three years left on his deal at West Ham, not two.

Secondly, even if he were to leave in two summers' time, he will still only be 25. He may well be the captain of England at that point. The fee would still be very high, even with just a year on his deal. Someone will still pay big money.

Finally, if clubs are prepared to pay £67m for Sancho, £80m for Maguire and £100m for Grealish, then it's stretching credibility that West Ham will ever be able to sell a fee under £80m-£100m to their support. It would at least need to be at Grealish levels.

At the moment there is no apparent need for West Ham to sell and there doesn't appear to be any contractual urgency either. If the player agitates to leave, the club may sell, but only at a price that reflects his value and reflects well against the kind of names mentioned above. The club is believed to have > £100m available to spend this summer anyway.
Sancho and Grealish are attacking players. They traditionally cost more. Maguire is notorious for being overpriced, so not a great example.
I'd be annoyed as a supporter if he was sold, just in general, but i wouldn't feel hard done by getting 80m for a defensive midfielder.

Chicharo

The club spent ridiculous amount of money for Maguire, I wouldn't be surprised if we offer even more for Rice who is a better player and who plays in a position in which we desperately need an improvement. If we do, I don't think we will buy another striker, CB, and DM, let alone RW. I think we'll need two transfer windows to try and finally get a proper team (another 2 yrs after 9-10 wasted ones)

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

I would probably argue that Kante, Hojbjerg and Casemiro are outliers. Clause, contract ending and just great scout work.

Fabinho, Rodri and Jorginho are a good benchmark, but Rodri had a clause in his contract and would probably be more expensive if not. Fabinho and Jorginho was probably cheaper due to coming from Ligue and Serie A. And you could probably add a bit of inflation on those prices as well.

In the list of The Atlethic, where they tried adjusting for "football inflation", the fee of Roy Keane today was just north of £90 mill. Carrick at £69 mill. Based on these figures, you could probably argue that somewhere between £65 mill and £90 mill would be fair for this type of player. Considering his age and playing for a good PL-team I would expect it to be in the north end of that interval. I have a feeling that West Ham will refuse to sell for anything below £100 mill. Maybe they will just refuse to sell period.

The worry for Man Utd is that we really do not have any great options. Lets face it, Tchouameni will have other options. So I could easily see the club beeing willing and able to pay a premium on top of what is fair.

OmarUnited4ever

Casemiro moved to RM for 6M Euros, it's peanuts honestly.

I also agree with your assessment on the fees we can pay for a quality DM, maximum is £70M if we allow for Add-Ons or whatnot, the range of 50-60 is the sweet spot.

if Rice is truly of the quality we need as DM and will elevate us, then the club should attempt to bring him in, but not for anything above 60-70, if WH refuse, we move on, plenty of fish in the sea.

a repeat of LCFC rinsing the club for 80M on Maguire should not be allowed under any circumstances, because even if Maguire performed to the best of his abilities consistently, and even improved with us, he still wouldn't be worth 80M.

Trex

I would probably argue that Kante, Hojbjerg and Casemiro are outliers. Clause, contract ending and just great scout work.

Fabinho, Rodri and Jorginho are a good benchmark, but Rodri had a clause in his contract and would probably be more expensive if not. Fabinho and Jorginho was probably cheaper due to coming from Ligue and Serie A. And you could probably add a bit of inflation on those prices as well.

In the list of The Atlethic, where they tried adjusting for "football inflation", the fee of Roy Keane today was just north of £90 mill. Carrick at £69 mill. Based on these figures, you could probably argue that somewhere between £65 mill and £90 mill would be fair for this type of player. Considering his age and playing for a good PL-team I would expect it to be in the north end of that interval. I have a feeling that West Ham will refuse to sell for anything below £100 mill. Maybe they will just refuse to sell period.

The worry for Man Utd is that we really do not have any great options. Lets face it, Tchouameni will have other options. So I could easily see the club beeing willing and able to pay a premium on top of what is fair.
Rice is a good DM, but we'll need at least 3 or 4 signings this summer, unless we have say 250 million to spend we should be looking for an alternative.

reddevilz007

this club never learns. Pay a hefty price, cant buy other players in other positions we desperately need reinforcement.
Clown management

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We are not going to get Halaand which frees up money, so I'd go all out for Rice and bellingham (given Pogba is clearly going to leave)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Worried that we will overpay for Rice given that he appears to be technically limited. Shouldn't the new manager have a say in whether we go for him or not? He could become another tactical heachache to add to the long list that we have. If we do go for him, I hope the highlights don't reflect his qualities and that he is actually good on the ball.
We are not going to get Halaand which frees up money, so I'd go all out for Rice and bellingham (given Pogba is clearly going to leave)
Two midfielders for 150-200 million? We'll get nowhere with spending like that. At some point we have to start making a few smart signings otherwise it's going to take ages to build this team well under the new boss.

Zoo

Dortmund won’t sell Haaland and Bellingham in the same summer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Midfield is more important.
Is it though? At least Fred/Mctominay/Matic/DVB/Hannibal/Garner has bodies and can be dependable.

We have a 37 year old Ronaldo, that's it. Cavani is gone, Greenwood won't be here, Rashford isn't a striker and Martial is a huge ?

We desperately need somebody else to atleast rotate with Ronaldo.

Hammondo

Is it though? At least Fred/Mctominay/Matic/DVB/Hannibal/Garner has bodies and can be dependable.

We have a 37 year old Ronaldo, that's it. Cavani is gone, Greenwood won't be here, Rashford isn't a striker and Martial is a huge ?

Because you can even play without a striker, our midfield is dreadful, not good enough, and is the main reason we are doing so badly.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Midfield is more important.
It definitely isn't, we need goals if we want to win games.

Exactly this.

Status
Not open for further replies.