Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Interesting that we've scouted him so long only to seemingly want to make the move once he's going to be overpriced?

theklr

Interesting that we've scouted him so long only to seemingly want to make the move once he's going to be overpriced?
Or that we felt we wanted to see if he could prove his worth first, or didnt think he was good enough previously?

Or that we had other priorities first?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Or that we felt we wanted to see if he could prove his worth first, or didnt think he was good enough previously?

Maybe, but I think he's overpriced now. This is the sort of player you have to sign a bit early. PL players get too expensive these days once they've proven their worth.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Sell Pogba for 50m and buy Rice for 60m+Lingard, what could go wrong?
That's going to be the biggest problem. People who dont follow United are going to think that Rice is replacing Pogba when he isnt. He is replacing Matic.

The pressure Rice would feel from people assuming he is a replacement for Pogba may put him down for a while.

Walters_19_MuFc

Do people understand we have to replace Matic? Yes, it's not an immediate priority but if he's available next season, then as I said before, it's a no-brainer really.

Rice, in my opinion, would have been 100% a Sir Alex signing.

As per Neville's comments, Sir Alex used to look for the best players in the Premier League. They'll be some who disagree but I believe Rice is one of the best players in the EPL in the position he plays. Therefore, if available, which I think he will be, then we must sign him.

Matic will be 33 next season.

Rice/Fred
Pogba/McTominay

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If we'll have to blow big money on one player, I hope it'll be top European shelf, vital for CL which we'll have to aspire in and PL on top of that.

Rice is 22 though, still time to become biggest stage player and he kinda fits Ole's category with a promise to develop further.

Idxomer

That's going to be the biggest problem. People who dont follow United are going to think that Rice is replacing Pogba when he isnt. He is replacing Matic.

The pressure Rice would feel from people assuming he is a replacement for Pogba may put him down for a while.
He most likely would be replacing McTominay who would take more of a squad role.

Matic is very much like Mata and we aren't trying to find his replacement either.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Please other than breaking up opposition play what else does he offer? I've watch him a few times and i don't see nothing really with him, maybe it's my fault as i don't think he's technically gifted. Anyone with actual knowledge of his strenghts and weakness?

RUCK4444

Please other than breaking up opposition play what else does he offer? I've watch him a few times and i don't see nothing really with him, maybe it's my fault as i don't think he's technically gifted. Anyone with actual knowledge of his strenghts and weakness?
Your right. He’s an absolute basic DM.

Good in the tackle, half decent passer of the ball... but absolutely nothing special.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
He most likely would be replacing McTominay who would take more of a squad role.

Matic is very much like Mata and we aren't trying to find his replacement either.
This just goes to show how the cafe underrate our own, Imo Mctominay is a better player compared to Rice, if we've got £80m to spend on a DM, I'll rather we spend on Kimmich than this fraud.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Sorry we’re you just comparing Keano to Declan Rice? Not sure if I’m misreading you.
I did.
I’ve thought for some time that Rice reminded me of a 30 year old Keane. And all of a sudden the great man himself said on Norwegian TV 3-4 weeks ago that Rice was the player in the PL that reminded him the most of himself. But what would he know...:smirk:

Alemar

Your right. He’s an absolute basic DM.

Good in the tackle, half decent passer of the ball... but absolutely nothing special.
He has a quite decent shot in him and obviously is also strong in heading. On the flip side, the guy is quite slow. Almost Matic slow

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

So why bother to scout him that long? Just get whoever already a good established player.

It's like scouting Sancho since he was a toddler, but only confident to make a move once he has 20 goals and assists for 2 seasons before making a move. That's just stupid.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What has me quite excited about him is the way he holds on to that central position - he forces the opposition attackers to drift out wide rsther than to attack through central areas because Rice is already in that position and isn't ever moving from there.

Considering our fullbacks are defensively capable too; having such a central blocking player alongside 2 fullbacks that can be a menace to get through - our defence is going to be solid on a different level :drool:

It's why I personally dont care about Ndidi or Bissouma- they maybe better than Rice in multiple ways but still they are midfielders that chase after the ball and the player aiming to be like Kante or a better version of Fred. You will see them moving and helping at LB, RB or as deep as next to the goalkeeper one minute but in 5 minutes time you will see them taking a shot aswell in the other half of the pitch.

I want that CDM that holds down the central of the park and gives us a structured approach to our team and I dont know anyone other than Rice who is available.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Not a priority, overpriced, overrated. Only reason it's gaining traction is because of Lingard. Would only like this move if WHU valued Lingard at feckin £40mill and Rice at £60mill or summat...which is unlikely.

theklr

So why bother to scout him that long? Just get whoever already a good established player.

It's like scouting Sancho since he was a toddler, but only confident to make a move once he has 20 goals and assists for 2 seasons before making a move. That's just stupid.
Thats because scouting and player developments isnt an exact science, and players might not be available earlier anyway.

90% of scouted targets never get aquired, and some that is, are never a success.

You propose they buy everyone that «might» be a success before they seen much of it? Or that they just dont scout at all or just buy proven players?

And another thing, even very successful players are scouted and rejected because they dont fit the system.

Sometimes the scouts are wrong about a target, sometimes we didnt need the target at the point when he was available.

You are making it so incredible dumbed down. Its not FM.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I believe the reason is due to Solskjaer looking for a well rounded player to come in and play the double pivot role. Someone who can both defend and attack. Rice is probably seen as more of a defender than a attacker hence the club haven't moved for him yet. But if the latest news about United scouts believing he could develop into a box to box midfielder is true, then they might move for him.

Terry Chango

Declan’s technically a baller. He goes under the radar being English, is seen as only a unit by some of the cafe members because he doesn’t overplay due to being a disciplined player when asked to do so by his manager.

He’s so much more than just a physical and positional DM/CM. Not quite carrick but his passing is superb despite some of the views on here.

It’s hard to see via only game clips just how technically spot on the lad is. However if you can stomach the presenters on this F2 video then do so and let Declan speak for himself as to whether he is technically good enough for United. I’m aware it’s just a short insight into his technical ability but some of the posts basically calling him a donkey are well off the mark.

He’d be a great fit for our squad. No brainer for me if the price is right and can cover 3 positions.

Reactions: golden_blunder

laughtersassassin

I hope we sign him. But it needs to be to play alongside Pogba.

If it's to play beside Fred or McTominay we are not very Smart

rotherham_red

Rice, Sancho, CB and Cavani for another year. Wouldn't be the worst summer.
I don't think we're getting Rice this year, especially if they get in to Europe but I'm not too fussed as long as we got a RW and a CB. The DM is by far the biggest need, but I'd rather we waited for the right one to come in than waste another £40m-£50m on the wrong fit. I also expect we'll see VdB having much more of an influence next season as well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Declan’s technically a baller. He goes under the radar being English, is seen as only a unit by some of the cafe members because he doesn’t overplay due to being a disciplined player when asked to do so by his manager.

He’s so much more than just a physical and positional DM/CM. Not quite carrick but his passing is superb despite some of the views on here.

It’s hard to see via only game clips just how technically spot on the lad is. However if you can stomach the presenters on this F2 video then do so and let Declan speak for himself as to whether he is technically good enough for United. I’m aware it’s just a short insight into his technical ability but some of the posts basically calling him a donkey are well off the mark.

He’d be a great fit for our squad. No brainer for me if the price is right and can cover 3 positions.

Can tell he's got good technique when I sat through 5 minutes of an F2 video before switching off.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Or Camavinga. To suggest that we'd get 2 for 1 is a fairytale.
Think Gravenberch wouldn't be too pricy as he's not got long left on his contract, plus we have quite a good relationship with Ajax.

SwedishFish

Think Gravenberch wouldn't be too pricy as he's not got long left on his contract, plus we have quite a good relationship with Ajax.
Probably not, admittedly I haven't watched a lot of Ajax so I know very little about him except that he's a big talent obviously.

RUCK4444

I did.
I’ve thought for some time that Rice reminded me of a 30 year old Keane. And all of a sudden the great man himself said on Norwegian TV 3-4 weeks ago that Rice was the player in the PL that reminded him the most of himself. But what would he know...:smirk:
Wow that’s either a sad indictment of the quality of midfielders in the league or Keane is being super humble.

Declan Rice is light years away from being anywhere near as good as Keane. Roy was better at every aspect of the game including tackling which is probably Rice only strong point.

Honestly the overrating of Rice here is just bizarre. I mean what about him is special?

I honestly think the huge lack of pure defensive midfielders across Europe at the moment is what’s driving this hype around Rice (and as usual the fact he’s English.)

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Not a priority, overpriced, overrated. Only reason it's gaining traction is because of Lingard. Would only like this move if WHU valued Lingard at feckin £40mill and Rice at £60mill or summat...which is unlikely.
60m for Rice? No way any club with real ambitions would folk that kind of money for a nothing player, Did you guys watch Kimmich last night? That's a proper DM, break up play, can pass it short or long, can dribble in tight spaces. If we've got up wards of £60m to spend on a player we should bid for Kimmich.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Word coming out he's not leaving for under 100m euros, so if Rice is more then I agree that we shouldn't get him.
With his contract running down and him refusing to extend (according to reports) they risk losing him on a free. So it would be sensible to sell him for between 30 to 40m or lose him for nothing.

Highfather_24

Would crumble under press. We need a CM who can link the defence and midfield while being defensively solid. Rice is not that player.

Status
Not open for further replies.