Dele Alli is England's best young midfielder playing in Turkey

RedMaestro

Why do people think that Barcelona or Real Madrid would be interested in Alli? Are the Spanish clubs going to see him as the next Neymar (don't mean their style of play)? Because that is what they will probably have to feel to want to buy him, since I don't expect him to be sold for a 'reasonable' fee...

And stating that no other top 6 club can buy him is a bit strange. Why? What if the PL clubs are the only ones that are interested? What if Alli also wants to leave - could be because of lack of titles (not saying Spurs won't win, just what if), money etc. What if Spurs can find a player that's just as talented as him and could therefore sell him for a monster fee - wouldn't drop in quality since the new player would take his place and the club would get a lot of money. For instance, Wanyama came in and has from what I understand (not sure, don't follow Spurs) been better than Dier, which could mean that Spurs can now sell Dier if they want to.

But I do understand that Spurs fans would hope that Alli would only like to play for them in the PL and would prefer it if he'd play in a different country if he wants to leave. Nothing strange about that.

Dobbs

If you think that's bad - he was recommended to Brendan Rodgers by the ex-MK Dons boss - is a Liverpool fan and had a deal in place to join us, which fell through due to our refusal to cough up wages.

Something we'll probably regret for years.
Yeah that has to sting.

Varun

Staff
So, will there be something in the contract preventing Real or Barca from selling him to United after his time there...?

Michael Owen ended up a United player, lest we forget, and could've signed for us straight from Real if SAF had wanted it so.

The other factor is, what if neither Spanish giant or Bayern wants him? He just stays at Spurs, within Spurs modest wage structure? Cmon, get real.

Or, what if Real want him, and bid, say 70m, and Utd (or another PL side) offer 120m and bigger wages than Real? Would Levy literally throw away 50m?

There are lots of possibilities, but the fact is, 100m would be very, very useful to Spurs in the next 2 years, and Utd have 100m to drop almost casually .

Spurs fans can get almost obstinate about these types of things but the reality is that if (or when, imo) you sell one of Kane or Alli, it'll mean you can use that money to increase your wage structure and thus keep hold of more of your top players for longer.

Yeah, it's garbage like this that I'm talking about. You sound like a deluded dipper mate.

Of course there isn't 0% chance, don't be daft. And of course he will leave at some point.

I don't know if you're a special case or if your views echo sentiments within the Spurs community, but if you think Dele Alli or Kane will spend their entire careers at Spurs you're living in dream land, no matter what sweet comments they may make to Spurs TV.
I thought we were talking about PL clubs buying players from the rivals while the player in question was still top drawer. Not a Real/Barca discard. Sure, we could sign Alli after he's no longer good enough for Real but that wasn't the situation I was talking about.

I already talked about the money, unless a club goes full retard, it's not going to get value from buying off a rival. It shows in your post as well, us paying 50mil above what Real would offer. It'd be terrible business which is why I don't see clubs making such offers.

I agree it's not a 0% chance though. feck knows, Kane might be wanking himself silly every night dreaming of us and would throw a mighty strop refusing to train unless sold to us and kept at it for a year leading to a glorious purchase for us. One can hope!

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
... Yeah, it's garbage like this that I'm talking about. You sound like a deluded dipper mate.

Of course there isn't 0% chance, don't be daft. And of course he will leave at some point.

I don't know if you're a special case or if your views echo sentiments within the Spurs community, but if you think Dele Alli or Kane will spend their entire careers at Spurs you're living in dream land, no matter what sweet comments they may make to Spurs TV.
Did you even read what I wrote? I didn't say there is zero chance of Alli leaving (or Kane for that matter), I said there is zero chance of him being sold to a Prem rival.

ti vu

No, he hasn't. He's also much younger than Bale - it wasn't until his age 23 season that Bale exploded. Before that it was flashes here and there and you could see the monstrous talent, but it took him a while to put it all together.
The thing is Bale was not seen as an attacker, but LB. It took awhile until 'Arry noticed & converted him. Then it took a while for him to fully adapted start to fulfill his potential as attacker. Then again, it took yet another while for the coaches to give him the free role & main man status which seeing him putting top performance. Alli benefited from being given the right role by Poch (huge credit) early..

Similar can be said about Modric needed time to find his role & adapt to PL coming from foreign smaller league.

ZAGREB RED

Ali is the one player I would love to see at OT next season, doubt it will happen though. He is like Lampard with a bit more aggression.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The thing is Bale was not seen as an attacker, but LB. It took awhile until 'Arry noticed & converted him. Then it took a while for him to fully adapted start to fulfill his potential as attacker. Then again, it took yet another while for the coaches to give him the free role & main man status which seeing him putting top performance. Alli benefited from being given the right role by Poch (huge credit) early..

Similar can be said about Modric needed time to find his role & adapt to PL coming from foreign smaller league.
Modric truly benefited from Redknapp, as strange as that is. He was the first manager at Spurs that trusted him to play deep in a midfield two instead of as an attacking MF (he played on the left most of his early time at Spurs in fact). Playing a tiny "lightweight" foreigner as a central midfielder was something a lot of PL managers wouldn't do, but Redknapp gave not a damn about defending so he was cool with it. Turns out, Modric is far from a defensive liability despite his stature.

As soon as Redknapp did that, Modric simply made the entire team his own and ran things.

ti vu

Modric truly benefited from Redknapp, as strange as that is. He was the first manager at Spurs that trusted him to play deep in a midfield two instead of as an attacking MF (he played on the left most of his early time at Spurs in fact). Playing a tiny "lightweight" foreigner as a central midfielder was something a lot of PL managers wouldn't do, but Redknapp gave not a damn about defending so he was cool with it. Turns out, Modric is far from a defensive liability despite his stature.

As soon as Redknapp did that, Modric simply made the entire team his own and ran things.
That's the point. Alli got a coach who quickly gets the right role. If you use the age for age argument to judge potential, then it's way off the mark.

Not to forget, Alli is not exactly your most influential player, main man. Modric, Bale had to step up and took responsibility in an inferior Tottenham team, while Alli benefits from having the system & teammates to carry him. If anything in this case, international football is a great way to judge potential. Modric showed he has great potential at the EURO before Tottenham move, Bale as soon as he got the right role, he became Wales best players and carried the team since. Alli hasn't exactly elevate England (not his fault). It showed Alli still needs to show that he has the ability to carry team.

So disagree on Alli has shown he has more potential than Bale & Modric.

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
All this from me saying Alli signifying for United is a long shot, I remember United thinking Fabragas would be easy. The PL has transformed from Fergie's days. Yes United are still the biggest club in England no doubt but the longer this transition goes on the further they will get from being a draw.
That's the point. Alli got a coach who quickly gets the right role. If you use the age for age argument to judge potential, then it's way off the mark.

Not to forget, Alli is not exactly your most influential player, main man. Modric, Bale had to step up and took responsibility in an inferior Tottenham team, while Alli benefits from having the system & teammates to carry him. If anything in this case, international football is a great way to judge potential. Modric showed he has great potential at the EURO before Tottenham move, Bale as soon as he got the right role, he became Wales best players and carried the team since. Alli hasn't exactly elevate England (not his fault). It showed Alli still needs to show that he has the ability to carry team.

So disagree on Alli has shown he has more potential than Bale & Modric.
Ouch doesn't have a main man, it's team, team, team! It's why he's so popular in my opinion.

ti vu

All this from me saying Alli signifying for United is a long shot, I remember United thinking Fabragas would be easy. The PL has transformed from Fergie's days. Yes United are still the biggest club in England no doubt but the longer this transition goes on the further they will get from being a draw.

Ouch doesn't have a main man, it's team, team, team! It's why he's so popular in my opinion.
I won't say you're wrong. Just saying the past Tottenham as a team during Bale & Modric time was more deficient and individual reliant. Both showed that they have the world class qualities, which IMO Alli hasn't shown. Only "national" level at this moment for Alli :wenger:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I won't say you're wrong. Just saying the past Tottenham as a team during Bale & Modric time was more deficient and individual reliant. Both showed that they have the world class qualities, which IMO Alli hasn't shown. Only "national" level at this moment for Alli :wenger:
I'm a Harry fan... but he stubbled on that team and could have done so much better than he did if his head wasn't stuck right up the FAs ass.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

You need to face facts, mate. If United go in for Dele Alli this summer - and I hope we do as I rate him highly - it is literally a done deal. You would be naive to believe otherwise. He may cost an arm and a leg to make it happen, but that's just modern football for you and something that United have adapted to, especially in recent years.

United are the biggest pull in the Premier League, particularly among young English talent looking to move to a bigger club in order to further their careers.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
You need to face facts, mate. If United go in for Dele Alli this summer - and I hope we do as I rate him highly - it is literally a done deal. You would be naive to believe otherwise. He may cost an arm and a leg to make it happen, but that's just modern football for you and something that United have adapted to, especially in recent years.

United are the biggest pull in the Premier League, particularly among young English talent looking to move to a bigger club in order to further their careers.
Really? Why didn't we get Bale and Modric when we bid on them, then?

Massive Spanner

Bale and Modric went to Real, who are undoubtedly a larger pull than United - always have and always will be. Besides they play in Spain, not the PL, where United are currently based.
I wasn't arguing about us being the biggest pull in the PL, of course we are.

Point is, Levy has proven in the past he would rather sell abroad for cheaper than sell to PL rivals, including us. I think it's wishful thinking that we'd slap down a big bid for Alli and Spurs would let him go and he'd come here, given they're rich themselves right now. It'd need to be a world record fee, probably, and crazy wages, which, as good as Alli is, would be mental to do for a 20 year old.

iHicksy

I must admit spurs are the one team I never watch play. They have so many unlikeable faced players, Kane, walker, Ali etc. Can someone give me a breakdown about what Ali actually brings to the table and the position he plays? I've only seen him play for England and he's never looked above average for us on the national stage. So to come here and see people saying he's as good or better than Gerrard and Lampard (i'm assuming non england versions) then i'm a little confused. What is it about him that would cause Barca and Madrid to come sniffing when they have the likes of Modric, Kroos, Neymar etc?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Gareth Bale says hi! You offered more but u missed out, fabrigas too , you missed out. This is not the Fergie days, if anything Alli will look at Jose and say no way.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I wasn't arguing about us being the biggest pull in the PL, of course we are.

Point is, Levy has proven in the past he would rather sell abroad for cheaper than sell to PL rivals, including us. I think it's wishful thinking that we'd slap down a big bid for Alli and Spurs would let him go and he'd come here, given they're rich themselves right now. It'd need to be a world record fee, probably, and crazy wages, which, as good as Alli is, would be mental to do for a 20 year old.
Oh I see, I'm following you now.

Yeah, of course if Real get involved any deal regarding a player United are interested in we are likely to lose out (though we did manage to sign Pogba with Real supposedly interested - and let's not forget the De Gea war) But sure if Spurs get the chance to flog him abroad I'm sure they will take it. Then again not every English player dreams of playing in Spain.

AllezLesDiables

This isn't 10 years ago. Spurs don't need to sell Alli and why would he go to a club that may not have CL football from a club that has the best young core in the PL?

United has lots of pull but with the current money that the PL gets it's going to be harder to steal away talents from PL teams.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You need to face facts, mate. If United go in for Dele Alli this summer - and I hope we do as I rate him highly - it is literally a done deal. ...
Your arrogance is amazing to behold. Berbatov was nearly 9 years ago and since then no star player from Spurs has gone to a Prem rival, far less United.

I think you're the one who needs to face facts.

United aren't the big draw anymore, Spurs don't need the money and Levy wouldn't sell in any case. Moreover, I strongly doubt that Alli would kick up a fuss in order to leave Spurs, Pochettino and the CL just to go to United and play very possibly in the EL.

The team spirit at Spurs is tremendous, both between the players and between Pochettino and the players. Alli won't fancy playing for sourpuss Mourinho and a squad that's the opposite of settled and cohesive.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Not sure why he´d leave right now. CL football is guaranteed for next season. They are a young team on the up with a great manager. Tottenham will have the most English starters for Russia 2018/Euro 2020. Gives me some proper raises, keep the team together and I am willing to see where this goes for the next 2-3 years. Can still move at 23/24.

Massive Spanner

Your arrogance is amazing to behold. Berbatov was nearly 9 years ago and since then no star player from Spurs has gone to a Prem rival, far less United.

United aren't the big draw anymore, Spurs don't need the money and Levy wouldn't sell in any case. Moreover, I strongly doubt that Alli would kick up a fuss in order to leave Spurs, Pochettino and the CL just to go to United and play very possibly in the EL.

The team spirit at Spurs is tremendous, both between the players and between Pochettino and the players. Alli won't fancy playing for sourpuss Mourinho and a squad that's the opposite of settled and cohesive.
What's his contract situation? Surely they'll want to tie him down to a bigger deal in the summer?

gaucho_10

I cann't see Real or Barca being interested in Alli ever. Levy would ask for a fortune and his style of play is just not wow enough to make a guy like Perez even consider.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I must admit spurs are the one team I never watch play. They have so many unlikeable faced players, Kane, walker, Ali etc. Can someone give me a breakdown about what Ali actually brings to the table and the position he plays? I've only seen him play for England and he's never looked above average for us on the national stage. So to come here and see people saying he's as good or better than Gerrard and Lampard (i'm assuming non england versions) then i'm a little confused. What is it about him that would cause Barca and Madrid to come sniffing when they have the likes of Modric, Kroos, Neymar etc?
He plays right behind the striker for Spurs in a free role that allows him to drift to either channel. He's extremely good at timing his runs to arrive at the exact right time in the box and his movement is exceptionally smart and clever. He's also a lethal finisher with either foot and his head.

He's not a string puller or a creator, outside of through balls and one/twos around the edge of the box - he's a goal scorer, and a very good one. Spurs effectively play a 3-5-2 these days with Alli playing basically as the 2nd striker in the 2.

From when I've seen him play for England, it seems he's forced into more of a traditional midfield or AM role where he's functional, but not really exceptional and it doesn't play to his strengths. His best comparison is someone like Bergkamp (or maybe Thomas Müller) who weren't line leading strikers, but a very dangerous forwards who played behind and around a traditional #9.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I cann't see Real or Barca being interested in Alli ever. Levy would ask for a fortune and his style of play is just not wow enough to make a guy like Perez even consider.
I have no idea where they would even fit him. I do not know where he would play in Barca's 4-3-3

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
If Lingard is on £100k... what's the Spurs wage ceiling?
Not sure. I think Kane and Lloris are the highest earners on 100k basic. But in Kane's case I read that the deal has been constructed to up this to around £120k as long as he meets certain targets. .

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This isn't 10 years ago. Spurs don't need to sell Alli and why would he go to a club that may not have CL football from a club that has the best young core in the PL?

United has lots of pull but with the current money that the PL gets it's going to be harder to steal away talents from PL teams.
I wasn't actually referring to United being the biggest pull commercialy - although in truth they probably are - but rather from a historical standpoint. The prestige that comes with playing for and representing a sporting giant like United is something a great many young English footballers aspire to achieve, and I'm sure a few of the foreign variety also harbour such ambition - though more so for Real or Bayern etc - but the principle remains the same. Its not all about money.

Yep, Spurs are most definitely flying the English flag with regards to talent and deserve the utmost credit for being in that position, they do indeed look like a good football team and the progress they have made in recent years is impressive, yet with that said, they haven't won anything, nothing in over 50 years. They are still a relatively unknown entity outside of England because of that.

But I'm drunk so who knows :D

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

looked at the name of the poster and decided not to read the content.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Ali is the one player I would love to see at OT next season, doubt it will happen though. He is like Lampard with a bit more quality & aggression.
For his age a far superior player. I covet few players, but he is one, Pavel Nedved, and Essien were the last of those that we could realistically sign in that category.