Dele Alli is England's best young midfielder playing in Turkey

Mick1

Imagine going in to a thread about a rivals player, telling people he's only good because they're a little club and there aren't expectations of him, and then having the audacity to accuse other people of being arrogant.
Just like most opposition fans speak nonsense, some united fans speak with an arrogance worthy of real madrid. But we re a big club and that is bound to happen

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not everybody who defends our club/players is Glaston. There are times when legitimately stupid things are just said about our club/players, and our fans on here absolutely have a right to put their view across.

I don't know, why would any United fan refer to Spurs as a mid table club when we haven't been for a decade? To get a reaction. I think there are plenty of United fans who don't like the fact that a club like Spurs have got up there and are competing for the top four spots, there are plenty of people who are a fan of the established order and don't like when it is upset. I think the constant digs he's making at our club and the little 'you're going to go back where you belong when you lose your manager' make it very clear he's not a huge fan.

It's hardly surprising that when United fans call Spurs players who are integral to the team 'average', it's going to put people on the defensive. You're talking about players who have us 3rd in the league and who are responsible for us consistently finishing in the top four. You don't get there by being average, and when you couple that by suggesting they're only good because there are no expectations on them of course people are going to react to it.

There is no rational conversation here, it's playground stuff. No genuine arguments are being put forward by the other side apart from 'he'd be crap elsewhere he's only good because nobody expects anything at Spurs'. It's boring to listen to, and it isn't just Spurs fans who are saying that.
The thing is, you know damn well that Dele Alli is far beyond that of an average run-of-the-mill footballer and so is Thomas Muller for that matter. Which kind of makes you wonder what the hell this argument is even about.

I love Redcafe.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Muller has never been world class? :houllier:

Good player playing in a 1 team league. Matter of opinions I guess.
Yes. Your opinion is rubbish and should be laughed at

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The thing is, you know damn well that Dele Alli is far beyond that of an average run-of-the-mill footballer and so is Thomas Muller for that matter. Which kind of makes you wonder what the hell this argument is even about.

I love Redcafe.

True, but sometimes you can't help but rise to it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
True, but sometimes you can't help but rise to it.
I bite my lip and don't respond to 99% of the tripe that gets written in here by certain posters but as you say sometimes it's so difficult to ignore a post that is so obviously glaringly stupid that it causes a real strain to ignore.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets

I love Redcafe.
The best Redcafe quote ive seen was in the Harry Kane thread by DJRed97.

Thank god. Was worried we'd sign him for big money, what a flop he'd be. Bang average. All the doubters will soon see.
Some people can be mildly wrong, I certainly have been in some posts. But this is in a totally different stratosphere of wrongness.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Some people can be mildly wrong, I certainly have been in some posts. But this is in a totally different stratosphere of wrongness.
To be fair to him - a few years ago there were many people saying that about Kane - even some Spurs fans. He has proved every one of them wrong.

Fridge chutney

I know they are rivals (of sorts) and Glaston is annoying, but some of the shite spoken about Spurs on this forum is embarrassing.

1. Spurs are not a "midtable" club, unless one defines midtable as anything between 1 and 18

2. Alli is a very good player. He can be a great player, he's not that far off technically. He needs to check his temperament and perhaps mature a bit on the pitch, but you'd expect that from a 22 year old! He has the potential to be one of the world's best when he hits his prime at 26/27.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Alli the world's best??? When was the last time a player with his technical level was one of the world's best? He's quite brutish and direct, the footballing world has always preferred more graceful players that do magic with the ball every time they get a touch (ie Neymar and Hazard).

He's probably not even top 10 in this league, and I don't see him getting close to the world's best with the direction he has taken with his development. He has developed much more into a forward and the muller comparison is quite spot on.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Who has called him the world's best?
The rest of the post explained what I meant quite easily. The way he has developed means him being the world's best in the future is highly unlikely. He used to make quite a few line breaking runs in his first season for Spurs, and had he continued playing that way I could see him getting there. But he has made a clear shift in his game, you can't really get a gauge on what Alli will do at any point in the game anymore.

tomaldinho1

As a non Spurs fan but England fan, I'm far more excited about Winks longer term. Something about how he plays makes him stand out to me, I think he's going to be a very important player for England in the years to come.

For me Alli is and will continue to be a very good player but I personally don't see him at the level some on here do.

Fridge chutney

The rest of the post explained what I meant quite easily. The way he has developed means him being the world's best in the future is highly unlikely. He used to make quite a few line breaking runs in his first season for Spurs, and had he continued playing that way I could see him getting there. But he has made a clear shift in his game, you can't really get a gauge on what Alli will do at any point in the game anymore.
I disagree. I think he can do a lot more than you give him credit for. Regardless, we won't know for another 3-5 years, which is a long time in footballing terms.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Yeah, we all say stupid things from time to time.

To be fair to him - a few years ago there were many people saying that about Kane - even some Spurs fans. He has proved every one of them wrong.
I can see Kane having the best game of his career on Sunday - a hattrick is pretty much guaranteed. Ali + Eriksen won't be far behind in terms of performance either.

Spurs will win 5-0. Put my house on it.

Fridge chutney

I can see Kane having the best game of his career on Sunday - a hattrick is pretty much guaranteed. Ali + Eriksen won't be far behind in terms of performance either.

On the bright side, Spurs would keep within a shout of the title race. I'd sacrifice this game if it meant City and Liverpool didn't win the title, even a 5-0 spanking. If we took points from Spurs and City and lost to Liverpool then I'd be very conflicted...

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah, we all say stupid things from time to time.

Even Glaston wouldn't make that claim!

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
:lol:.
I presume United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are trembling with fear with the new Spurs investments.... .
Your original comment was "Do you really think the investment your club is making are from a club with great ambitions?"

Now that it's been pointed out that, yes, investing close to £1 billion in infrastructure does clearly show great ambition, you switch to the above throw-away piece of nonsense.

Regardless of how our rivals view the investment, they'd be fools not to recognise that Spurs have/are putting in place key foundation stones for long-term success and the financial growth needed to boost the chances for that success.

LoveFootball

Your original comment was "Do you really think the investment your club is making are from a club with great ambitions?"

Now that it's been pointed out that, yes, investing close to £1 billion in infrastructure does clearly show great ambition, you switch to the above throw-away piece of nonsense.

Regardless of how our rivals view the investment, they'd be fools not to recognise that Spurs have/are putting in place key foundation stones for long-term success and the financial growth needed to boost the chances for that success.
Was talking about transfer dear, how much a team invest in transfer determine the kind of goal they are targeting

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Was talking about transfer dear, how much a team invest in transfer determine the kind of goal they are targeting
Stadium-related income plays a part in determining how much money a club has to spend in the transfer market. You seem not to have twigged the likelihood that our new stadium complex, compared to the old stadium, will add something approaching £100m per year to our income - year in and year out for decades to come.

This is just another reason pointing to the nonsense of your claim that Spurs financial investment shows a lack of ambition.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Stadium-related income plays a part in determining how much money a club has to spend in the transfer market. You seem not to have twigged the likelihood that our new stadium complex, compared to the old stadium, will add something approaching £100m per year to our income - year in and year out for decades to come.

This is just another reason pointing to the nonsense of your claim that Spurs financial investment shows a lack of ambition.
Is this just a wildly optimistic estimation on your part or do actually have any statistical evidence to support your claim?

I recall Arsenal fans being similarly optimistic when they moved into their new stadium.

Yeah, it didn't work out too well for them.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Even Glaston wouldn't make that claim!
It was a pretty shitty attempt at a jinx post if I'm honest.

On the bright side, Spurs would keep within a shout of the title race. I'd sacrifice this game if it meant City and Liverpool didn't win the title, even a 5-0 spanking. If we took points from Spurs and City and lost to Liverpool then I'd be very conflicted...
It's tough being a United fan in these dark days.

Then again, we can win the title if we beat Spurs at the weekend.

Hey, stranger things have happened.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Is this just a wildly optimistic estimation on your part or do actually have any statistical evidence to support your claim?

I recall Arsenal fans being similarly optimistic when they moved into their new stadium.

I can't be bothered going into all this again. It's all there in other threads if you want to look.

LoveFootball

Thanks dude from the info. I guess within few years when you'll start feeling your 100M income from the new stadium you'll buy the best talents in the world and have a strong squad, but right now your transfer spending is similar to the like of Everton than United or City and so are your ambitions.

Clearly the revenue will increase, but there are also costs to paying off the stadium and interest. The benefits will of the initial increase in revenue will of course decrease as time goes on, match day revenue is becoming less and less important (<% of overall revenue) as TV revenue and sponsorship increase.

Arsenal were clearly restricted in the transfer market, and it put them back. If spurs don't invest in the team, then they are in danger of the same thing happening.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Thanks dude from the info. I guess within few years when you'll start feeling your 100M income from the new stadium you'll buy the best talents in the world and have a strong squad, but right now your transfer spending is similar to the like of Everton than United or City and so are your ambitions.
The increased income will start to kick in as soon as we move into the new stadium, not "within a few years".

Moreover, only an idiot measures ambition based solely on transfer spending ... especially when transfer spending reflects a number of things, not least the amount of spare money a club has and how bad or good their existing players are.

More simplistic nonsense from you ...

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I disagree. I think he can do a lot more than you give him credit for. Regardless, we won't know for another 3-5 years, which is a long time in footballing terms.
What credit have I not given him? I've said clearly that he has the ability, but his development has gone in a different direction than what I expected.

Alli has a really good shot on him, that he used regularly when he first came to Spurs as he played deeper. But he has slowly been transitioning up the pitch meaning he can't really use that aspect of his game as much.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has to do with Spurs' midfield falling over dead due to injuries. So they can't really play in a way to play him deeper.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Clearly the revenue will increase, but there are also costs to paying off the stadium and interest. The benefits will of the initial increase in revenue will of course decrease as time goes on, match day revenue is becoming less and less important (<% of overall revenue) as TV revenue and sponsorship increase.

Arsenal were clearly restricted in the transfer market, and it put them back. If spurs don't invest in the team, then they are in danger of the same thing happening.
I'm sure revenue will increase somewhat (I mean who doesn't like cheese?) but £100 million a year seems a bit of a stretch.

As for the importance of matchday revenue, well I guess that would be reliant on what sort of crowd numbers your club can generate on matchdays. United make £100 million+ a year in matchday revenue.

LoveFootball

The increased income will start to kick in as soon as we move into the new stadium, not "within a few years".

Moreover, only an idiot measures ambition based solely on transfer spending ... especially when transfer spending reflects a number of things, not least the amount of spare money a club has and how bad or good their existing players are.

More simplistic nonsense from you ...
Oh the insults are flowing now? And how can you label an innocent fan who think that stadium incomes will turn them into a beast of a club?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Oh the insults are flowing now? And how can you label an innocent fan who think that stadium incomes will turn them into a beast of a club?
I don't know. Tell me which fan has said this and I'll ponder the question.

Fridge chutney

What credit have I not given him? I've said clearly that he has the ability, but his development has gone in a different direction than what I expected.

Alli has a really good shot on him, that he used regularly when he first came to Spurs as he played deeper. But he has slowly been transitioning up the pitch meaning he can't really use that aspect of his game as much.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has to do with Spurs' midfield falling over dead due to injuries. So they can't really play in a way to play him deeper.
Fair enough. His goal/assist output has decreased from 2016/2017 level when he was one of the top in the league, and maybe that's because he has transitioned to play further up the pitch, as you mentioned.

With that said, his development might benefit from playing less deep... look at this goal at Emirates last month (excuse the music). It's an example of why I think he demonstrates big upside potential. Beautiful first touch and exquisite finish, which is also why i think he has more to his 'final third' game than being brutish and direct.

He might be suited to a slightly deeper role in the end. That'll be up to the Spurs coaching staff to decide.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You're as nice as ever I see.
It was tongue in cheek(sorry if it wasn't clear) but come on. Thomas Muller was a star in two world cups and consistently at worst the third best player in one of the 3 dominant teams of the decade. Either you have insanely high standards for world class, or i don't know what else to say ;)

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He wouldn't? We've mostly been better than you in the period he's been starting for us. Why would he not be starting for a club who are doing worse?

Alli scored 18 and assisted 7 in his breakthrough season, and scored 9 and assisted 10 last campaign. There's no reason to think a player like that wouldn't be getting regular starts for a club like Manchester United, especially when the likes of Lingard and Rashford seem to play often enough.
3 words. Van Gaal, Mourinho.

Do you really think Alli would have the stats he does if he played for United under them 2 managers? I doubt that.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
3 words. Van Gaal, Mourinho.

Do you really think Alli would have the stats he does if he played for United under them 2 managers? I doubt that.
I don't know. Possibly not.

I do think he's a very good player, and certainly on a par with many players who have got regular starts for you over the last couple of seasons. If he was good enough to be starting for us he would certainly have had a chance of starting for you.

RochaRoja

Like that really matters in the whole point I was making.
When there’s only one year difference between Lukaku and Kane compared to a four year difference between Alli and Lingard, it’s quite significant.

The “early/late bloomer” thing is also different when comparing Lukaku and Kane as Lukaku was clearly a very early developer physically. He had a heavyweight boxer’s body in his early teens and his physicality is a big part of his game. I remember his debut for West Brom when he completely destroyed Carragher with his upper body strength.

Lingard and Alli still both have the bodies of little boys in their twenties and their physical attributes are not big parts of their game.

ErranMorad

From the four of Kane, Eriksen, Son & him - I feel he is the most likely to fail if he goes to a top club. He is an excellent player, currently at the right place in the right system under the right manager. Though I have doubts he'll be able to replicate the same form at another club.

RochaRoja

But you'll have to admit that most players playing for United now aren't good enough as well surely? And that your point of being good enough for United has nothing to do with the current United team, but rather your ideal United team?
I find the expression “a United player” used on here really weird. It’s so out of whack with the actual level of United players over the past five years. Even during the Fergie years, there were several bang average players who were important parts of title winning sides.

There isn’t some kind of natural hierarchy of football where any clubs “belong” at the top and “deserve” the best players. Arrogance like that is why United are disliked by so many neutrals.