'Der Klassiker' : Bayern München vs. Borussia Dortmund

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
If? They've already won the league.
In my mind I knew that they were nailed on to win the league but I didn't realise they had managed it already. Bayern Munich are absolutely dominating the bundesliga in that case...will be interesting to see how the other teams will respond.

I'm glad we have the Chelsea's and Manchester Cities (along with Liverpool and Arsenal) in our league...would hate for it to become like the german league where United just take all the best talent and have complete supremacy over the other teams.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
In my mind I knew that they were nailed on to win the league but I didn't realise they had managed it already. Bayern Munich are absolutely dominating the bundesliga in that case...will be interesting to see how the other teams will respond.

I'm glad we have the Chelsea's and Manchester Cities (along with Liverpool and Arsenal) in our league...would hate for it to become like the german league where United just take all the best talent and have complete supremacy over the other teams.
It's not that different in terms of league wins, though.

Since the first PL season (92/93).

Man United: 13
Chelsea: 3 (4, essentially)
Arsenal: 3
Man City: 2
Blackburn: 1

vs

Bayern Munich: 13
Borussia Dortmund: 5
Weder Bremen: 2
FC Kaiserslautern: 1
VfB Stuttgart: 1
VfL Wolfsburg: 1

Dante

Average bang
That was because SAF was the greatest manager of all time. The differences in quality amongst the PL's top 3 or 4 were rarely as big as they have been between Bayern and the rest.

Blackwidow

That was because SAF was the greatest manager of all time. The differences in quality amongst the PL's top 3 or 4 were rarely as big as they have been between Bayern and the rest.
Just the last two/three seasons. And Bayern in this three seasons had the highest points that were ever reached in the league. Do not forget that Bayern when they got Champion last season had 53 unbeaten matches (with only 7 draws - 153:30 goals) and more than 30 unbeaten away matches...

Before that it was usually very interesting until the end.

I had a look at Lahm's trophy list a week ago and I noticed that for every time that he won the league in his career he also won the german FA cup. That's pretty ridiculous considering that he has won 6 doubles in his career at Bayern. If Bayern win the league this season it will be the first time that he won't have the FA cup to accompany it...
Look for Schweinsteiger's record (he now has as many Championships as Kahn and Scholl) - he has a double more as Lahm was loaned out to Stuttgart at the beginning of his career.

Last edited:

Xivon

Supports
Bayern Munich
Thought the team played well. If we just could have converted our chances in the 120 minutes, those awful slips wouldn't have happened. :( Losing Robben and possibly Lewandowski is the worst thing, in my opinion. I was so glad seeing Robben back ... at least Thiago is okay.

kps88

How did Gundogan and Hummels play?
Wasn't impressed by either of them. Gundogan looks like he's running with lead in his shoes and can't break into anything resembling a sprint. Like Blind, but without the aggression. He reminded me of an aging playmaker told to sit deep because his legs are gone.

Hummels was at fault for the goal.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Wasn't impressed by either of them. Gundogan looks like he's running with lead in his shoes and can't break into anything resembling a sprint. Like Blind, but without the aggression. He reminded me of an aging playmaker told to sit deep because his legs are gone.

Does not sound too positive. However, a fresh start might help them to find their best form again.

Ekeke

While I agree I would also say that Gundogan did make a few tackles and one or two neat passes. Its the kind of stuff that if he did it for us would go completely unnoticed however, like with Blind

Hummels played Lewandowski onside and didnt exactly bust a gut to make up for his error. As has been said previously he's a slow CB, his defending isnt better than Smalling. However he's a bit fancy on the ball with his passing which is sure to be something LVG likes and to be honest, Smalling would probably be the perfect partner for him making up for what he lacks

Sunday 4 Oct 2015 at 5.30pm (4:30 UK)

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
4 more days, and it's on. Sunday 17:30pm

The best team in the world right now vs the 2nd best team in Germany.

Both of them started spectacular into the season with 5 consecutive wins in a row and breaking almost all Bundesliga starting records, Dortmund even with a better goal difference, trashing Champions League teams like Bayer Leverkusen and Borussia Mönchengladbach 3:0 & 4:0. But then during a week Dortmund dropped 4 points with 2 draws in a row in a total unnecessary and unlucky way in games where they still were as dominant and could have easily won those games comfortably. But that's probably the biggest difference between them and Bayern right now: Consistency.

Bayerns consistency in all first halfs of the seasons is just incredible under Guardiola. In fact they never lost a game under him during that time. However if there is any team that could end this series in a one of game, it's Dortmund. But it's not getting easier with the fact that they play Bayern away on sunday.

Another fact for this game: Lewandowski is in an superb form before he meets his former club, scoring 10 goals in 1 week, while Dortmunds starplayer Reus seems to be in a bad shape. However the keyplayers for Dortmund in this game will surely be Gündogan, who finally reached his best form after his long term injury, and Mkhitaryan who seems to be a new player this season and is performing extremely well so far. For United fans it also should be interesting because Adnan Januzaj will surely play in this game, probably as a sub.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Sunday is a great day for football :)

OutlawGER

Supports
Also forgot to mention Aubameyang's good shape. While Lewandowski scored 10 in the Bundesliga so far, 5 of those against Wolfsburg alone, Aubameyang has scored in every match of the season so far and is 2nd place with 9 goals.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Oh, it´s the thread with the original title again ;)

Well, we at least seem to try our best to get any advantage we can get before this game. Hummels, Gündogan, Kagawa, Sokratis and Aubameyang all stayed home and did not travel to Greece for the EL game tomorrow.

Not a fan of this method, btw. I have nothing against resting key players and even heavy rotation, but some of the key players need to be at least on the bench so you can react properly in the game. Very risky stuff by Tuchel.

OutlawGER

Supports
Oh, it´s the thread with the original title again ;)

Well, we at least seem to try our best to get any advantage we can get before this game. Hummels, Gündogan, Kagawa, Sokratis and Aubameyang all stayed home and did not travel to Greece for the EL game tomorrow.

Not a fan of this method, btw. I have nothing against resting key players and even heavy rotation, but some of the key players need to be at least on the bench so you can react properly in the game. Very risky stuff by Tuchel.

Well honestly, if it gives you an advantage for the game against Bayern, which is much more than a 6 point game and plays a massive role for the future of this Bundesliga season, i even would take the risk to lose the game in the Europa League. Dortmund will qualify anyways for the knockout stages. And even if not, it's 'just' the Europa League and not the Champions League. Nowhere near as important as the Bundesliga right now.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well honestly, if it gives you an advantage for the game against Bayern, which is much more than a 6 point game and plays a massive role for the future of this Bundesliga season, i even would take the risk to lose the game in the Europa League. Dortmund will qualify anyways for the knockout stages. And even if not, it's 'just' the Europa League and not the Champions League. Nowhere near as important as the Bundesliga right now.
While I don´t like it that much, I´m still ok with it because even if we lose we can still top the group. However, if this would be a KO stage game or a must win group stage game? I would be seriously pissed off. We have a good shot at winning a compeition we never won before and the chances for that are certainly higher than winning the Bundesliga. To willingly sabotage our own chances just to get a slight advantage in a game vs. Bayern is simply stupid and a mentality I never want to see from my club. This game won´t decide if we finish top 3 or not, it also won´t decide the winner of the league.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Let's hope they're not still drunk come Sunday.

Last edited:

OutlawGER

Supports
However, if this would be a KO stage game or a must win group stage game? I would be seriously pissed off..
Well yeah, but it isn't. I don't think Tuchel would behave like that otherwise.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
I'm sure I'm not the first one to bitch about this, but can we PLEASE not follow this pathetic spineless BuLi international PR attempt and stop calling this game "Der Klassiker"?
What's next? We're actually going to call the national team "Die Mannschaft"?!
Urgh.

Lyricist

I'm sure I'm not the first one to bitch about this, but can we PLEASE not follow this pathetic spineless BuLi international PR attempt and stop calling this game "Der Klassiker"?
What's next? We're actually going to call the national team "Die Mannschaft"?!
Urgh.
You realize the German movie about the world cup win was already called "Die Mannschaft", right? :lol:

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
You realize the German movie about the world cup win was already called "Die Mannschaft", right? :lol:
I do realize. I'm also aware the DFB actually decided to turn it into an official moniker to advertise with it, even though it's an expression that I guess originated in some foreign press misunderstanding that was as misguidedly overeager as it was fateful. It's more apt for the name of some Nazi rock band ffs.

Guess I'll keep fighting windmills, and I won't stop. Thread name change PLEASE.

Shiva87

I do realize. I'm also aware the DFB actually decided to turn it into an official moniker to advertise with it, even though it's an expression that I guess originated in some foreign press misunderstanding that was as misguidedly overeager as it was fateful. It's more apt for the name of some Nazi rock band ffs.

Guess I'll keep fighting windmills, and I won't stop. Thread name change PLEASE.
You could start a new thread - the Mods don't like megathreads anyway :devil:

Edit: I won't be responsible for the backlash you may get from @OutlawGER

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
@OutlawGER needs to be put in place ffs. Seriously. "Der Klassiker". If we're going to use that name, the stadium announcer might just as well recite a few verses from Goethe's Faust after each goal.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
OutlawGer needs to be put in place ffs. Seriously. "Der Klassiker". If we're going to use that name, the stadium announcer might just as well recite a few verses from Goethe's Faust after each goal.
I hate the term 'Der Klassiker' for the game as well, it's an odd fit and just shows the lack of creativity when trying to promote a game that has nothing in common with the clasico in Spain. We should just start a new thread for the game anyway, old megathreads are unwanted on the Caf. So go ahead, make a new and better thread without using 'der Klassiker'.

I'm not fussed about the term 'Die Mannschaft'. It's a bit silly if we call it that ourselves, but it's not really that weird when other nations call it like that, so it made sense as the title for the film about the World Cup 2014. After all, do you find it strange that we call the Brazilian nationalteam 'Seleção' ? Which is just the Portuguese word for selection after all. There's nothing wrong with the term itself and it's a bit sad that we started to use English terms like 'team' or 'crew' instead of the German word 'Mannschaft'. It's not a Nazi term, it's not a term that was used for propaganda by the Nazis, it's just the German word for 'team' or 'crew' and used for a variety of things.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Obviously it's not a Nazi term lol. I was making a joke to underscore my point. As I said, for me it seemed like foreign journos wanting to sound extra familiar with Germany who used that name when all it means is "the team", any team.
I'm just annoyed at this DFB PR strategy of using it as a brand name now when no German ever used it like that. Guess that's what happens when you have a character like Bierhoff running corporate outreach and PR.

I am aware that this has been happening with other national teams as well, I was surprised to learn for example that the term "albiceleste" isn't actually a 'name' Argentinians commonly use for their team either.

That Nazi rock band joke came to my mind when I saw some promotional poster with the name for the World Cup
which reminded me of this

Now to be exact Normahl isn't a Nazi band either, but maybe you get my association chain.

Anyway, sorry for off topic

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
It's all okay compared to english articles about Bayern who refer to the team as "die Roten" *shudder*... altough "der Klassiker" can also feck off.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
I never understood why people started "Die Mannschaft" abroad when we have a perfectly coined term in "Nationalelf" which happens to be exclusive to our national team and thus fits the target much better. Same with the "Klassiker" naming... Almost every game with Bayern is a classic matchup, that tends to happen when you're playing the same teams for decades. I think some people would like it to be the clasico because they're jealous of all the attention Madrid and Barca get. We do have a bit of an inferiority complex sometimes, I reckon...

Deleted member 78215

Promoters of the Bundesliga have got to try something to spruce the league up. I mean, let's face it, it's one boring, predictable league.

German posters mad in...