'Der Klassiker' : Bayern München vs. Borussia Dortmund

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@Cristiano Lell @Balu Correct me if I am wrong but is the Bayern vs Dortmund game actually the biggest in Germany? I mean even if we're gonna call a game der Klassiker in Germany, would it be that one?
Historically? No. At the moment? Yes. There's no real longstanding rivalry between two clubs you could call the biggest like Liverpool - United or Barca - Real. The most famous rivaly is the one between Schalke and Dortmund. Bayern's biggest rivals are historically Nürnberg and 1860 München, but both kinda suck so we rarely get to see it, let alone see it in truely meaningful matches.

If I had to choose one game as the classic, then I'd probably pick Gladbach-Bayern because it was the longest league defining rivalry and it happened shortly after the Bundesliga was created. But it's more comparable to the Arsenal - United rivalry, which also was temporarily for about a decade and purely because of the battle for the league without a deeper meaning behind it. The same would be true for Hamburg-Bayern in the 80's, Dortmund-Bayern in the second half of the 90's and now again Dortmund. The noughties were a bit weird, the league collapsed financially in 2002 and Bayern was the only club that could handle it and continued to grow, which lead to the financially one sided league we have today.

Last edited:

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
@Cristiano Lell @Balu Correct me if I am wrong but is the Bayern vs Dortmund game actually the biggest in Germany? I mean even if we're gonna call a game der Klassiker in Germany, would it be that one?
The word 'Klassiker' implies some historical significance or legendary status rooted in the past. The Dortmund-Bayern game doesn't exactly carry bigger historical significance than other pairings. Bayern-Gladbach would come to mind.
But apart from looking for actual meaning, it suffices to point out that the name was very recently coined for that match only to promote it to international audiences, blatantly riding the coattails of the Clasico frenzy, when it has nowhere near the historical, political etc significance and rivalry of that game, and noone would have used that name.
That's why it's so cringe-worthy.

Theonas

Scout
Historically? No. At the moment? Yes. There's no real longstanding rivalry between two clubs you could call the biggest like Liverpool - United or Barca - Real. The most famous rivaly is the one between Schalke and Dortmund. Bayern's biggest rivals are historically Nürnberg and 1860 München, but both kinda suck so we rarely get to see it, let alone see it in truely meaningful matches.

If I had to choose one game as the classic, then I'd probably pick Gladbach-Bayern because it was the longest league defining rivalry and it happened shortly after the Bundesliga was created. But it's more comparable to the Arsenal - United rivalry, which also was temporarily for about a decade and purely because of the battle for the league without a deeper meaning behind it. The same would be true for Hamburg-Bayern in the 80's, Dortmund-Bayern in the second half of the 90's and now again Dortmund. The noughties were a bit weird, the league collapsed financially in 2002 and Bayern was the only club that could handle it and continued to grow, which lead to the financially one sided league we have today.
Thanks for detailed post mate. I was indeed thinking of the Schalke vs Dortmund rivalry as I know that this one is supposedly more intense and has more background to it. I had this vague idea that apart from other Munich based teams, Bayern did not really have a strong historical rivalry like United vs Liverpool, PSG vs Marseille, Real vs Barcelona or Milan/Inter vs Juventus but I was not sure. It sounds like most of your rivalries are more like ours and Arsenal or later on Chelsea then in the sense they are more about the moment than any historical significance.

Theonas

Scout
The word 'Klassiker' implies some historical significance or legendary status rooted in the past. The Dortmund-Bayern game doesn't exactly carry bigger historical significance than other pairings. Bayern-Gladbach would come to mind.
But apart from looking for actual meaning, it suffices to point out that the name was very recently coined for that match only to promote it to international audiences, blatantly riding the coattails of the Clasico frenzy, when it has nowhere near the historical, political etc significance and rivalry of that game, and noone would have used that name.
That's why it's so cringe-worthy.
It is indeed. Real Madrid's PR over the last decade or so has been nothing short of outstanding. The way they promoted themselves as this all conquering juggernaut that is equal to Barcelona, you'd think they dominated everything when in fact even Chelsea had more success than them over that period. You mix Real's PR and Barcelona' actual success on the pitch and the Classico has become this commercial phenomena that is extremely cringe worthy. It really is pathetic when other leagues are desperately trying to copy when they themselves have their own heritage and history.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Stop crying about the name and start talking about the game, ffs.

I explained my point about it already. For me personally it's the most classic game in the Bundesliga. Im born in 88, so i don't care what happened in the 70's with Bayern and Gladbach, but i grew up with the rivalry between Bayern and BVB during the 90's and early 00's. And it's the biggest rivalry in the Bundesliga for the past 5 years as well and one of the most spectacular games in european football these days.

It has become a classic. Simple fact, get over it.

Last edited:

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Stadium announcer: "In der 14. Spielminute, Tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor für den FC Bayern, Torschütze mir der Nummer 9, Robert.."
Crowd: "LEWANDOWSKI!"
Stadium announcer: "Robert"
Crowd "LEWANDOWSKI!!"
Stadium announcer: "Neuer Spielstand: FC Bayern.."
Crowd: "EINS!"
Stadium announcer: "Borussia Dortmund.."
Crowd: "NULL!!"
Stadium announcer: "Ich höre schon des Dorfs Getümmel.."
Crowd:"HIER IST DES VOLKES WAHRER HIMMEL!!"
Stadium announcer: "Zufrieden jauchzet gross und klein.."
Crowd:"HIER BIN ICH MENSCH HIER DARF ICHS SEIN!!"
Stadium announcer: "Danke"
Crowd: "BITTE!!"

Varun

Staff
Arguing about whether or not the match deserves to be called a particular name :lol:

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Stadium announcer: "In der 14. Spielminute, Tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor für den FC Bayern, Torschütze mir der Nummer 9, Robert.."
Crowd: "LEWANDOWSKI!"
Stadium announcer: "Robert"
Crowd "LEWANDOWSKI!!"
Stadium announcer: "Neuer Spielstand: FC Bayern.."
Crowd: "EINS!"
Stadium announcer: "Borussia Dortmund.."
Crowd: "NULL!!"
Stadium announcer: "Ich höre schon des Dorfs Getümmel.."
Crowd:"HIER IST DES VOLKES WAHRER HIMMEL!!"
Stadium announcer: "Zufrieden jauchzet gross und klein.."
Crowd:"HIER BIN ICH MENSCH HIER DARF ICHS SEIN!!"
Stadium announcer: "Danke"
Crowd: "BITTE!!"
wat

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Let's call the game "Achtung! Verboten! Klassiker!" and our national team "Achtung! Verboten! Mannschaft" for international recognisability

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
FCB / Line up: Neuer - Thiago, Martinez, Lewandowski, Costa, Alonso, Boateng, Götze, Lahm (K), Müller, Alaba
Substitutes: Ulreich - Rafinha, Gaudino, Vidal, Coman, Kimmich, Steinhart

I like that a lot. Martinez starts :drool:.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
BVB: Bürki – Piszczek, Hummels, Bender, Sokratis – Weigl, Gündogan – Castro, Kagawa, Mkhitaryan – Aubameyang

No Reus? He's clearly not in his best shape, but still surprising that he's not starting. Also, what's Bender doing in there? Is he playing centerback and Sokratis leftback? I don't get it. And Piszczek back in for Ginter is a surprise as well.

Strange line-up.

OutlawGER

Supports
BVB: Bürki – Piszczek, Hummels, Bender, Sokratis – Weigl, Gündogan – Castro, Kagawa, Mkhitaryan – Aubameyang

No Reus? He's clearly not in his best shape, but still surprising that he's not starting.
Honestly i saw that coming even though i was not sure if they would have the guts to bench him. But wouldn't have expected Castro as his replacement.

Why no Schmelzer and Ginter though? :eek:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Why no Schmelzer and Ginter though? :eek:
No idea. Really odd line-up. Schmelzer isn't on the bench either, maybe he's injured.

subs: : Weidenfeller, Park, Hofmann, Januzaj, Reus, Ramos, Ginter

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm really struggling to come up with something that makes sense. What the feck is Tuchel doing? A 541 formation maybe? But who's playing left wingback then? I don't get it, should be interesting to see.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
I'd rather call Schalke vs. Dortmund the German Klassiker. Way more heat in that matchup.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Schmelzer is injured, no idea about Ginter not starting. Really defensive formation overall. This could turn out to be some sort of ultra compact four man midfield by us to deny Bayern their control there and then hit them on the counter. Could also just be Castro playing on the wing and trusting Bender´s experience more than Park´s, though.

OutlawGER

Supports
No idea. Really odd line-up. Schmelzer isn't on the bench either, maybe he's injured.

Our subs: : Weidenfeller, Park, Hofmann, Januzaj, Reus, Ramos, Ginter
Our? Since when are you supporting BVB? :p

Well i kinda can understand the decision to field Pisczek over Ginter because Pisczek has much more experience in those kind of games. However i think Schmelzer is a huge loss for this game.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Marcel Reif AND Loddar... what did we do to deserve this? Is this hell? Are you demons?!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Castro leftback? Seriously? That's just hilarious unless it's really a back five with Bender as one of the 3 centerbacks.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Game time. Hopefully it's more competitive than Arsenal vs United :smirk:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yellow for Alaba dangerous free kick for Dortmund