'Der Klassiker' : Bayern München vs. Borussia Dortmund

InfiniteBoredom

Bruun-Larsen is not a top class talent, Pulisic struggles to start matches, Sancho was atrocious against Madrid and in the first half today. Hyping like that doesn't help anyone. If anything the game today showed that Dortmund really lack an experienced wide midfielder.
No need to be so cautious. After the last 2 times, doubt we will touch any of yours for a long while.

Great match. Have to say I envy you guy that up or down, your team is still committed to entertainment.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Daaaamn why did i miss the second half :(:(:(

Reus is such a tragic figure. He was the 4th best player on the planet going into the WC in 2014, then he suffers a catastrophic injury in the last friendly, misses out on his career defining tournament(potentially with a Ballon D'Or at the end of the year too), then enters injury hell and at 28 is a shell of his former self...

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Reus is such a tragic figure. He was the 4th best player on the planet going into the WC in 2014, then he suffers a catastrophic injury in the last friendly, misses out on his career defining tournament(potentially with a Ballon D'Or at the end of the year too), then enters injury hell and at 28 is a shell of his former self...
Remember when Reus was murdering Real Madrid at home in the CL in 2014? It was in the knockout stage, 2nd leg, after having lost 3-0 away at Real. Mkhitaryan missed like 3 sitters. :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Remember when Reus was murdering Real Madrid at home in the CL in 2014? It was in the knockout stage, 2nd leg, after having lost 3-0 away at Real. Mkhitaryan missed like 3 sitters. :lol:
I do. Reus has always torn us apart. Even two seasons ago. In that tie he tore us apart both legs. Just in the first we run them off the pitch, they were missing more than half their team and missed all of their sitters, while we only missed most of ours and won 3-0. Second leg...woof. Reus was the best player in the whole tie.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
At one point i was convinced Hummels had donned a BVB shirt and continued for them, farewell-match style. I don't even know which player i mistook for him there :lol:

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Yes, and that took four seasons,three domestic titles and a CL final, to actually really hurt us. If that is the result of the next four years, I will gladly take it. I´m under no delusion that the majority of the young talents won´t spend most of their careers elsewhere, but we will be well equipped to deal with that.

For one, given that we sell well perfoming players only to the elite clubs, we will be able to call up enourmous sums for the players. The times of release clauses and players running down contracts are long gone. This and our improved financial situation gives us enough investment material to replace and strengthen.

Secondly and this is even more of the reason I´m very confident about the positive future of my club is the reputation we managed to build for ourselves over the last decade. We are one of if not the best place for top talents between 16-23 to develop and become a star. This gives us a huge pull on this market (and by now we have a foot in the door in every major talent market, including the English, French and Spanish). Zagadou, Sancho and Gomes (the next big star in our pipeline IMO) all played for richer and bigger clubs than ours but left against the wishes of said clubs because we could offer something the elite can´t: Playing time and trust while playing attractive football on top level.

This is the niche we had to find for ourselves to play on the same level as clubs with far more money.
Good post. And if you guys keep building top squads then some day you really could become an elite club for yourself. But the last few seasons were some stepbacks, especially with overpriced transfers like Schürrle and, unfortunately, Götze. With Schürrle every fan knew he would fail big time. Everyone knew it. And still you paid so much that Wolfsburgs management was probably thanking you with tears in their eyes (not only because VW got busted :lol: ). If you make big transfers, they need to be on point. Witsel seems to be exactly that (wage-wise). With talents and cheaper investments its okay to fail. If you buy 5 talents and only 1 of them is going to be a star, you did great. You guys need to be smart to become big.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The baffling thing is that Bayern's officials claim to have played a very good match despite losing 2:3 with Bayern being very efficient and Dortmund being very wasteful.

Also kudos to Hummels for talking about how he was sick and unfit to play, offering further ammunition against Kovac just for the fun of it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I do. Reus has always torn us apart. Even two seasons ago. In that tie he tore us apart both legs. Just in the first we run them off the pitch, they were missing more than half their team and missed all of their sitters, while we only missed most of ours and won 3-0. Second leg...woof. Reus was the best player in the whole tie.

Such a weird game from him today. Missing two sitters and a half chance. Scoring the/a penality is like whatever, but then he just scores with a world class finish as if nothing happened.

Trizy

Delightful but expected result. I love seeing Dortmund doing well as they're the underdog.

Only caught the highlights, how was Kimmich not offside for Lewandowski's 2nd goal? Madness.

Cloud7

Yes, and that took four seasons,three domestic titles and a CL final, to actually really hurt us. If that is the result of the next four years, I will gladly take it. I´m under no delusion that the majority of the young talents won´t spend most of their careers elsewhere, but we will be well equipped to deal with that.

For one, given that we sell well perfoming players only to the elite clubs, we will be able to call up enourmous sums for the players. The times of release clauses and players running down contracts are long gone. This and our improved financial situation gives us enough investment material to replace and strengthen.

Secondly and this is even more of the reason I´m very confident about the positive future of my club is the reputation we managed to build for ourselves over the last decade. We are one of if not the best place for top talents between 16-23 to develop and become a star. This gives us a huge pull on this market (and by now we have a foot in the door in every major talent market, including the English, French and Spanish). Zagadou, Sancho and Gomes (the next big star in our pipeline IMO) all played for richer and bigger clubs than ours but left against the wishes of said clubs because we could offer something the elite can´t: Playing time and trust while playing attractive football on top level.

This is the niche we had to find for ourselves to play on the same level as clubs with far more money.
Good post mate. Some will never stop the dick waving on here about the richest clubs being the be all and end all of football.

Devil may care

Best game I've seen this season, end to end entertainment, could have went either way. Bayern swarmed Dortmund in the first half and were well worth their lead. Dortmund started the 2nd half well and got level but I thought they might wilt when Bayern went back in front almost straight away.

I was sure VAR was going to show Alcacer was offside given the acres of space he was in for the winner, but no, he was onside and his finish was as cool as you'll see, he's in great form. The other standout moment for me was Kimmich's assist for Lewandowski's second, such a deft little ball amidst the goalmouth chaos. Witsel, Hakimi and Sancho were the star men for Dortmund IMO, while Ribery was brilliant for Bayern.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Great game of football really.

Makes me want to make the trip to Dortmund to watch a game there.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt

What happened to Reus before the 2014 WC was thoroughly a tragic situation for Reus himself and every football fan who wanted to see him at the WC.

He ain't the player now he was then as long term injuries do take their toll, but he is still a superb player and a joy to watch.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What happened to Reus before the 2014 WC was thoroughly a tragic situation for Reus himself and every football fan who wanted to see him at the WC.

He ain't the player now he was then as long term injuries do take their toll, but he is still a superb player and a joy to watch.
You are right, he is not the same player anymore. He is objectively better now.

Don´t get me wrong, the Reus of 2010-2014 was a menance in the final third of the pitch: explosive dribbling, two footed, incredible shooting technique, good finishing, smart running paths and a threat with free kicks. He averaged a goal or assist every 75 minutes in the 2013/2014 season (his best season before his injuries), a crazy stat which can only be described as world class.

This season Reus stands at 11 goals and 7 assists in around 1.400 minutes, which results in an average of 81 minutes, statistically a tad worse but if we take into account that he plays far more games over the whole distance now (he was often subbed off by Klopp after around 60-70 minutes back then), which inflates the stat a bit, there is no real difference in his scoring abilites. He also retained all of his above mentioned strengths bar his ability as FK taker, which did regress.

Instead of losing things over the last few years, he actually became stronger in other areas. In terms of defensive contribution he operates in a completely different league right now: interceptions, clearances, tackles, pressing, general defensive movement. All of it improved. His area of influence also grew a lot. He is far less restricted to the final third than he used to be. He drops deeper and operates with more width now. He is constantly on the move, initiating combination and offering himself as constant link up partner (especially this part helps our young wingers a lot). I don´t have the stat at hand, but I would be very surprised if the number of his pre assists did not grew a lot.

To put it simple, Reus is a far more well rounded offensive midfielder now, taking over more duties as play maker on top of his abilites as scoring machine. This is also the reason why he plays so many minutes. He evolved from a great attacking asset into the heart of the offense. Then there is of course his development as personality from a somewhat shy and quiet player into a confident undisputed leader of the team.

If I would have to choose between the Reus of 2014 and the one of 2018, i would pick the latter in a heart beat. Everything else would just be notalgica.

Scored a lovely goal today, currently has 6 goals & 3 assists in 10 Bundesliga games and has captained his side to the top of the table with some cracking performances this year. His performances in the cups/CL have been of similar standard and output.
Safe to say then that the above post is really strangely timed, is it simply based on him missing a couple of great chances today :confused:

TsuWave

that Alcacer goal...Rashford would have blasted it at the keeper's legs :wenger:

cheeky_backheel

Expect Kovacs to get fired soon.

His squad doesnt have the athleticism to play the way he wants, and he hasnt been able to adapt his tactics to his squad. Unfortunately, doubt he has any significant say in transfers

Playing a high line with a fast tempo against BVB's youth was essentially suicidal. A team like that should be playing at the slowest pace possible, relying on their experience and tactical nous to wear down the opposition

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Expect Kovacs to get fired soon.

His squad doesnt have the athleticism to play the way he wants, and he hasnt been able to adapt his tactics to his squad. Unfortunately, doubt he has any significant say in transfers

Playing a high line with a fast tempo against BVB's youth was essentially suicidal. A team like that should be playing at the slowest pace possible, relying on their experience and tactical nous to wear down the opposition
Not sure about him being fired but yea I thought the high line they had while they were drawing was absolutely ridiculous. A draw away to Dortmund would've been a fantastic result, in the context of both teams form, so to still play such a high line while still being level was naive.

And that does not even take into consideration how brilliant Dortmund are on the counter and that high line plays exactly into their hands.

Really bad game management from Kovac.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Yes! Fckin Yes!

March! March, my Yellow & Black boys, to Victory!

Watching Bayern in total meltdown is even better than Real's meltdown. How I dislike the mafia cnut Hoeness...

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Kovac is tactically out of his depth and seems to randomize the lineups.
There are two midfielders, who can pass the ball - Thiago and James. A midfield of Javi, Müller and Goretzka is just not acceptable for any team, that wants to keep possession of the ball. Thiago and James not playing means, that Ribery has to be the main playmaker again. He was very good last night, but relying on a 35 year old to do all the work is just stupid. Both wings and Lewandowski did well, but the rest of the team is just not good enough anymore/at the moment.
Neuer, Boateng, Hummels, Javi, Müller and Goretzka just couldn't match Dortmund once they ramped up pressure. According to kicker.de Müller won 0% (!) of his duels/tackles. I don't know if that is actually true, but he was horrible again. Goretzka started well, but was totally out of his depth in the second half. All the injuries also took something out of Martinez. Hummels made various terrible mistakes; him being not fit, but starting over Süle is just the icing on the cake. Boateng was defensively okay, but his passing was off.

This game could have ended differently, but only because Dortmund missed at least three sitters, while Weigl had a stinker in the first half.

People who deserve to stay in Munich: Kimmich, Neuer, Süle, Lewandowski, Alaba. I wouldn't mind it if everyone else leaves at the end of the season, including manager and management.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Scored a lovely goal today, currently has 6 goals & 3 assists in 10 Bundesliga games and has captained his side to the top of the table with some cracking performances this year. His performances in the cups/CL have been of similar standard and output.
Safe to say then that the above post is really strangely timed, is it simply based on him missing a couple of great chances today :confused:
It's based on the fact that he was germany's best player going into a world cup where germany were massive favourites(and eventually won), as i said, with his form going into the tournament and germany's strength, he could have easily come away with the WC, the WC best player, and possibly the ballon d'or

That, plus admittedly i haven't seen much of him this season so was going more on what he'd been doing until last season :p and the constant injuries

arthurka

Delightful but expected result. I love seeing Dortmund doing well as they're the underdog.

Only caught the highlights, how was Kimmich not offside for Lewandowski's 2nd goal? Madness.
Dortmund had a defender out of the field so he counted as their last man.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Kovac is tactically out of his depth and seems to randomize the lineups.
There are two midfielders, who can pass the ball - Thiago and James. A midfield of Javi, Müller and Goretzka is just not acceptable for any team, that wants to keep possession of the ball. Thiago and James not playing means, that Ribery has to be the main playmaker again. He was very good last night, but relying on a 35 year old to do all the work is just stupid. Both wings and Lewandowski did well, but the rest of the team is just not good enough anymore/at the moment.
Neuer, Boateng, Hummels, Javi, Müller and Goretzka just couldn't match Dortmund once they ramped up pressure. According to kicker.de Müller won 0% (!) of his duels/tackles. I don't know if that is actually true, but he was horrible again. Goretzka started well, but was totally out of his depth in the second half. All the injuries also took something out of Martinez. Hummels made various terrible mistakes; him being not fit, but starting over Süle is just the icing on the cake. Boateng was defensively okay, but his passing was off.

This game could have ended differently, but only because Dortmund missed at least three sitters, while Weigl had a stinker in the first half.

People who deserve to stay in Munich: Kimmich, Neuer, Süle, Lewandowski, Alaba. I wouldn't mind it if everyone else leaves at the end of the season, including manager and management.
I don't think and never thought that Kovac has what it takes to coach Bayern, but:

Ulreich
Rafinha
James
Will
Süle
Sanches
Wagner

It's not like Kovac is spoiled for choice at the moment, especially if we believe the media reports which say that James was basically suspended for the match due to disciplinary sanctions.
The way Hummels threw Kovac under the bus to justify his own "performance" was pathetic and despicable imho and I would neither take it at face value, nor would I say that his inclusion ahead of Süle cost Bayern the match, since Bayern was still leading 2-1 (Dortmund's goal mainly being a feck-up by Neuer) by the time he left the pitch.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Just 2 more days to one of the most exciting Klassikers for years!

This could be the deciding game of the season for the Bundesliga championship. Right now BVB is 2 points ahead of Bayern, if BVB somehow manages to get 3 points in the Allianz Arena the title race could be decided. If Bayern wins they are 1 point ahead and everything is still open but then they have it in their own hands.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Just 2 more days to one of the most exciting Klassikers for years!

This could be the deciding game of the season for the Bundesliga championship. Right now BVB is 2 points ahead of Bayern, if BVB somehow manages to get 3 points in the Allianz Arena the title race could be decided. If Bayern wins they are 1 point ahead and everything is still open but then they have it in their own hands.
This on Saturday?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Can we please ditch that embarassing "Klassiker/Clasico" nonsense for good? stupid marketing label is stupid. I heard "el germanico" today, which i liked better :)
Using a Spanish name for a German rivalry is just as cringeworthy.