Television Dexter

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I loved it.

Poor Mike, getting murdered is the only way he can get me to learn his name.

Glad Deb knows everything now, or is about to, I was worried we'd have half a season of her tiny brain failing to connect the dots.

Edit: we don't need spoiler tags, do we? :nervous:
:lol: No, spoiler tags aren't needed for something that has aired.

Bit unsure with the spoiler policy, so please tell me if I'm doing it wrong. I understand that what has been shown already doesn't need to be put in spoilers, but what about speculation on future episodes if it's your own theories/thoughts only based on what has been shown (no previews etc.)?
Hard to say:

any and all comment related to future developments must be placed in spoiler tags even if the information comes from an official interview or a "next week on ..." clip at the end of an episode.
But from what that says you'd be commenting on future developments even if you have no idea of whether it is true or not. I think unless there's a comment from a modmin it'd be best to just spoiler it and just say outside the spoiler that the stuff you've put inside the spoiler is just your own theories.

Great episode. Have to admit that the fly-thing fooled me initially, although it didn't take me long before I figured something else was going on.
If it weren't for the preview clip which was 2 mins long that was released a month or so ago showing Dexter and Deb talking, I'd have probably been the same. It was nice that it was brought up again at the end but in a real life scenario than just the workings of his mind.

The forgotten blood sample also looks like a very interesting story line, especially now LaGuerta took it. She never believed that Doakes was the killer.
Yep. I've hated her over the last few seasons and her relationship with Batista but the blood slide storyline is perfect for her.

Yeah, it actually made a lot of sense the way they did it all. I think we all know situations where you feel like you've asked insufficient and/or poor questions initially and wanted some clarification later on. Much improved writing compared to last two seasons really.
Yep. Credit to them on how they handled it with the ITK being brought up and towards the end of the episode her sitting with the pictures remembering that Dexter actually was there after all. With that and the Doakes/BHB side storyline it was nice to see the references to the past again.

kps88

I was hoping they wouldn't go with a crime case this season and just focus fully on Dexter. That strip club stuff is going to be boring. No one cares who killed Mike or why.

Rest of the stuff was much better. Glad they respected the audience's intelligence with the questions Deb asked Dexter. I'll ignore the security cameras at the airport not catching him picking a lock or exiting with a body shaped bag.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Thought that was pretty good.

Was a refreshing change with Deb figuring it out and asking the right questions rather than going "Okay doke Dex" and carrying on with life because of a convenient excuse like always. Mike dying was a bit random, they only introduced him last season and I thought he'd have a bigger role. Seems like the Ukranian thing will not just be a side story as Dexter killed their man so it looks like that will intercross (I may have made up a word there) in the future.

LaGuerta and the blood slides is pretty good. I'll ignore the way only she found it and not a crime scene investigator, and how only she is aware of it's existence because nobody logged the evidence. She was never sure about Doakes so it'll actually give her an interesting story line pursuing that.

The nerd guy (name escapes me) is still a bit of a mystery to me. He clearly knows something but I've no idea how he's connected or how he knows things.

Dexter's got shit coming from all angles, yo.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I hope Deb asks him about who he killed. They could clear so many missing criminals off their database :lol:

Would be good if she figures out it wasn't Doakes who was the Bay Harbor Butcher (she has to figure that out) and also he should tell her he killed Trinity.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Yeah, pretty much what you both said. Deb was as good as she's ever been in that episode, but LaGuerta finding the slide like that was annoying, and the airport kill seemed a bit overly risky.

I thought the nerd guy was potentially another serial killer who is infactuated with Dexter, but that seems less likely now.

Mike getting killed seemed massively pointless, I was just getting to grips with who exactly he was again, but then he got shot and died. In my mind, he never existed because I'm quite happy with his introduction on Sons of Anarchy, he can't be running both jobs at the same time ffs.

Damien

Staff
Yeah, the airport bit was pretty bad. I imagine she will find out about him being the BHB in the next episode - especially when she learns his M.O. about only killing other killers (which is what the BHB was known for).

I heard an interesting theory about Louis which the more I think about it, it looks more likely to be the case.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The way his kills are going with his next one he's just going to shout "Look over there!" and while everyone in the public place is staring at nothing for half an hour he kills his victim, cuts him up and wanders away with the bags, whistling.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah, the airport bit was pretty bad. I imagine she will find out about him being the BHB in the next episode - especially when she learns his M.O. about only killing other killers (which is what the BHB was known for).

I heard an interesting theory about Louis which the more I think about it, it looks more likely to be the case.
I trust you to spoiler that if you do post it.

Damien

Staff
Only thing I liked about the airport kill was that they didn't completely insult our intelligence by him setting up a "proper" kill room. Instead he tied the killer to the table with straps and got the kill over relatively quickly and didn't have a speech as big as he normally did. Still, there'd have been plenty of time for him to be discovered.

Hectic

Supports
30fps

Send me a PM if you don't post it, nerd guy has me intrigued.

The way his kills are going with his next one he's just going to shout "Look over there!" and while everyone in the public place is staring at nothing for half an hour he kills his victim, cuts him up and wanders away with the bags, whistling.
Yeah they seem to be getting more ridiculous with his kills, not even in the sense that it's too risky or he's playing into a whole declining theme, but that his character just wouldn't do half of them in that manner.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Only thing I liked about the airport kill was that they didn't completely insult our intelligence by him setting up a "proper" kill room. Instead he tied the killer to the table with straps and got the kill over relatively quickly and didn't have a speech as big as he normally did. Still, there'd have been plenty of time for him to be discovered.
Yep, I was about to lose it when they cut to him and I thought he'd deliver a full ritual, it's a fecking unclaimed baggage room, staff could walk in there for a number of reasons! Not to mention, it's an airport, why even consider that a realistic target from the get go. He should have killed him on the way to the airport, where the other guys would have expected him to check in there rather than the destination, which would have still tied in the Kiev stuff.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Thought that was pretty good.

Was a refreshing change with Deb figuring it out and asking the right questions rather than going "Okay doke Dex" and carrying on with life because of a convenient excuse like always. Mike dying was a bit random, they only introduced him last season and I thought he'd have a bigger role. Seems like the Ukranian thing will not just be a side story as Dexter killed their man so it looks like that will intercross (I may have made up a word there) in the future.

LaGuerta and the blood slides is pretty good. I'll ignore the way only she found it and not a crime scene investigator, and how only she is aware of it's existence because nobody logged the evidence. She was never sure about Doakes so it'll actually give her an interesting story line pursuing that.

The nerd guy (name escapes me) is still a bit of a mystery to me. He clearly knows something but I've no idea how he's connected or how he knows things.

Dexter's got shit coming from all angles, yo.
This pretty much covers it. I have S6 a miss after first 3-4 episodes so coming at it from a fresh angle as well. Only thing I hated was the airport kill. It made no sense and mechanics did not work out what so ever. Also the dialogues during that sequence were horrible.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Hard to say:

But from what that says you'd be commenting on future developments even if you have no idea of whether it is true or not. I think unless there's a comment from a modmin it'd be best to just spoiler it and just say outside the spoiler that the stuff you've put inside the spoiler is just your own theories.
Yeah, that makes sense. I suppose some people will rather be completely in the dark unless they've developed a theory of their own.

If it weren't for the preview clip which was 2 mins long that was released a month or so ago showing Dexter and Deb talking, I'd have probably been the same. It was nice that it was brought up again at the end but in a real life scenario than just the workings of his mind.
I stopped watching previews really, because of stuff like that. I'd rather get surprised during the episode than know what will happen because of a preview. I think the last preview I watched was the one where Trinity walked into the police station and said "Hello, Dexter Morgan". Which was a fecking immense preview to be fair.

Yep. Credit to them on how they handled it with the ITK being brought up and towards the end of the episode her sitting with the pictures remembering that Dexter actually was there after all. With that and the Doakes/BHB side storyline it was nice to see the references to the past again.
That's one thing I don't understand about the past two seasons - they've barely used anything from the past, apart from the characters and Dexter's pointless trip with his brother. There's so much potential in reopening some of the old stories as they're seemingly doing now.
Future speculation:
I do wonder though if this means they're planning the ending of the show, whether it's this season or the next. Deb already seemed to remember Ruddy saying to Dexter that he "can't be a killer and a hero" and after finding all his stuff she'll have a question or two to ask. LaGuerta will also most likely do something with the blood sample. All of this could easily get connected to Dexter and make for an excellent finish of the whole show where all the old big story lines are properly finished.

The whole Mike-deal just highlights how poorly the show was run last year IMO. They probably thought they could use him for something, but was unable to get him into the series in a proper way. He barely featured last year and this year they've got other plans so they get him killed at the first opportunity. The Eastern Europe story line could easily have been started without having him killed but they seemingly wanted to get rid of him. I kinda wonder if he was meant to replace somebody last season (like Quinn), but the person ended up staying.

Kaos

That airport scene was ridiculous, I mean is there any other place on the planet that has more cameras than a US airport? Surely camera footage showing Dexter pushing a guy on a wheelchair to the baggage room and coming out with a bodybag ought to attract some form of suspicion no? Bah, guess I've been spoiled by Breaking Bad's immaculate writing.

I still enjoyed it having said all that, I miss the show.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That airport scene was ridiculous, I mean is there any other place on the planet that has more cameras than a US airport? Surely camera footage showing Dexter pushing a guy on a wheelchair to the baggage room and coming out with a bodybag ought to attract some form of suspicion no? Bah, guess I've been spoiled by Breaking Bad's immaculate writing.

I still enjoyed it having said all that, I miss the show.
Even Breaking Bad has had plenty of ridiculous stuff tbh, when Walter White was tied up by Mike and used some weird James Bond to get himself out of that situation.That was one of the most ridiculous things I've seen on a TV series.
I just wish writers would make a little more effort cause however you look at it, that airport was pathetic.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Deb finding out = good
Airport kill = ridiculous
La Guerta spotting the slide = ridiculous but I like the possibilities it opens up.

I like the way Deb became more curious the more she thought about things, that was good. Overall a promising start compared to the shitfest that was S06, but not without some ridiculousness.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Liked it, the show looks like it has it's direction again for the characters and not in trying to top trump the previous seasons baddy.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
That was really good, nicely done. Much better writing as others have said. I did really enjoy the first episode of last season though, so I'll halt all expectation for now!

Still, there are potentially some good routes to go down based on that. Really looking forward to seeing what the other lab geek is actually about. It could be anything with him - an undercover investigator from another authority (FBI perhaps - someone who wasn't a Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime went and realised all the mad shit Dexter was connected to and sent someone over) or something like that maybe, I dunno. I don't think they'd just make him some avid, obsessive fan of his. Would be anti-climatic now.

Kaos

Even Breaking Bad has had plenty of ridiculous stuff tbh, when Walter White was tied up by Mike and used some weird James Bond to get himself out of that situation.That was one of the most ridiculous things I've seen on a TV series.
I just wish writers would make a little more effort cause however you look at it, that airport was pathetic.
Yeah that scene was a little silly too in BB :lol:, but its only been the last season or so where we've seen those things. In Dexter it seems to be a recurrent theme for the last few seasons.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That was really good, nicely done. Much better writing as others have said. I did really enjoy the first episode of last season though, so I'll halt all expectation for now!

Still, there are potentially some good routes to go down based on that. Really looking forward to seeing what the other lab geek is actually about. It could be anything with him - an undercover investigator from another authority (FBI perhaps - someone who wasn't a Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime went and realised all the mad shit Dexter was connected to and sent someone over) or something like that maybe, I dunno. I don't think they'd just make him some avid, obsessive fan of his. Would be anti-climatic now.
I doubt an FBI agent would buy a piece of evidence from an old case off some dodgy website, draw all over it and post it to the guy he's investigating.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
I doubt an FBI agent would buy a piece of evidence from an old case off some dodgy website, draw all over it and post it to the guy he's investigating.
Or cancel Dexter's credit cards the way he did for that matter.

The guy obviously knows something, but I do wonder what his plan is. It already seems like he knows enough to make it very unpleasant for Dexter, but looks like he wants to know more.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
True. I just can't think what he's about. If they made him a serial killer, it'd surely be too much like the storyline with his brother. Looking forward to finding out, though.

Damien

Staff
Pass it on...Curious as well because I've gone back & forth on what his role could be
Good episode, better than expected. Pm me too please damien.
PM me aswell Damo.
I'll just post it in spoilers along with my thoughts on it - also in spoilers:

Theory:

Ryan and Louis both grew up in the same institution as Brian Moser. They were friends and saw Brian as an older brother. Once they had left the institution, they agreed to keep in touch. In fact, Brian was a regular visitor and had sent letters once he turned 18 and was released.

As time went on, after Ryan and Louis were released as well, the duo noticed that Brian was no longer responding to them. After years of no word of him, they reunite and decide to track him down. Soon enough they learn that he has been dead for some time, and that the police were aware of his true nature. Looking for more answers, they decide to investigate the little brother that Brian so desperately wanted to see and who he couldn't stop talking about.

Enter the Miami Metro internship. Louis takes a very special interest in Dexter because Dexter was always the little brother to Brian that Louis himself could never be.

My thoughts: Not sure about Ryan being "in" on it as well but there is something odd with how she also had a fascination with the ITK.

It is the bit about Louis being at the same institution as Brian that I'm liking the sound of. At times Louis has looked a bit unhinged - and his reaction to Dexter not liking the game by sending him the hand and cancelling his cards backs that up. He wanted to be Dexter's friend and have that relationship. I don't think Louis himself is a killer but it seems he knows a lot about Dexter which could be explained by him being close to Brian when they were growing up.

There's a similar theory about him being some sort of relative of Brian's but I think the theory above holds a bit more weight to it.

Danillaco

Good theory that. I can see it happening, but surely it would be revealed in a mindfeck way?

Cina

That was certainly a marked improved on the drivel we've endured for the last two seasons anyway, well, the stuff with Debra unravelling who Dexter is anyway.

The airport stuff was absolutely RIDICULOUS and it still leaves me without much hope for the series if the writers can throw something as criminally fecking retarded as that into the show. It is literally the worst, most inept and most farcical kill they have ever thrown into it. feck sake.

The strip club stuff was also very meh but I'll give it time as Ray Stevenson is a great actor and often how good a season of Dexter is can be very reliant on how good the main villain is.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
I dunno lads, I mean, Dexter has snapped at times and killed. When everything begins unravelling he kills in a sporadic way.

Dave89

If they leave it as it is, it's a shit piece of writing, but if as big red says, it comes back to haunt him later in the series as a big mistake, then I'll give them credit for it being part of his unravelling

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I quite enjoyed the episode. The whole Debra/Dexter stuff is looking really good so far, so hopefully they keep that up. Plenty of other bits and pieces in the episode that raise a few questions and make it feel like dexter is really going to be under the microscope from a few different parties this season.

I agree the airport kill was a bit iffy, particularly how easy it was to get the body back out. But if you ignore that hole, the season looks promising at least right now.

Cina

Nah the whole thing was a joke, I mean you don't even have to go as far as the airport itself in order to see that.

It further emphasized that in the show with the city with the most serial killers in the world, they also have the worst police force in the entire world. At the fecking car scene itself, Masuka said that they swept the car up and down and couldn't find his prints, yet hello, Dexter comes along and finds a print on a place everybody else always seems to miss.

What place is that? The indicator switch. Now I dunno about you, but surely it's the FIRST place you would look for fingerprints seeing as you probably use your index finger on it more than anywhere else on the fecking car if you're the driver!

Oh and it took the only competent defective they have a few hours to realize there was no car at a church in the complete middle of nowhere, i could've figured that out! of course they kill him off so that our other totally incompetent detectives are fine to be shit again

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Yeah, the stories start to resemble a bit of Emmental with all the holes in it but I do like that the story is heading in a new direction, finally. It was overdue really

Thanks for that, Damien. Interesting.

I never saw/recall the Brian & Louis connection. How far back was that?