Television Dexter | New Blood finale has now aired. Avoid the thread until you've watched it

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
:lol: Me too. If I start watching something, I usually watch it till the end.
:lol: That show was absolutely brutal! The acting was so terrible it was almost brilliant. Still think the initial plot was a pretty decent idea though, but that was genuinely the only good thing about the show.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It did stink of a higher up decision to keep the franchise alive, kinda. At least the writers had right idea in wanting to kill him off.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
They're not allowed to kill him, so the next best thing in their heads was to have him become a lumberjack? Makes sense. How about creating a season where the pressure builds on Dexter and he's eventually either caught or manages to flee (AND THEN BECOME A LUMBERJACK!) or something along those lines? Nah, of course not.

Edit: Newbie named Anustart89 PM'ed me this. That would've been quite nice!

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That was much better than all of the real season 8.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2013/10/07/showtime-would-not-let-the-writers-kill-dexter

So the writers wanted to kill Dexter but Showtime prevented them. Ridiculous, though I guess a spin off of some sort is clearly being considered.

Still, alive or dead, it was incredibly bad writing.
Indeed, the problem of bad writing would have persisted anyway. The writers would have Dexter die by a bus passing on a street. We didn't even need to see him as a fecking lumberjack, how about letting some suspense for the people watching it ? They should have ended things with fans of the show asking the question "Is he alive ? Is he dead ? "

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
The whole thing screamed of that right from the first few episodes of the last season. They fecked it as soon as they moved on from La Guerta's investigation.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
She's one of the most whiniest and most annoying characters I've seen on a tv show. But that aside she's quite shagable.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I heard through the grapevine that they are thinking of a spinoff show, with Dexter in it... how depressing

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Is it worth watching considering it tails off so badly.

Really good/Great shows can only maintain 4-5 high quality seasons then it can start to drop in quality. Very few exceptions to that rule.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Is it worth watching considering it tails off so badly.

Really good/Great shows can only maintain 4-5 high quality seasons then it can start to drop in quality. Very few exceptions to that rule.

I'm up to S7 now. Season 6 was pretty shite but I've enjoyed all the rest.

I'd put them in order...

That's assuming 2 had Miguel Prado. If it was 3 then swap them around cos he was a dick.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The entire 8 series are now on US Netflix. But as other have said if it had finished after the 4th it would have been one of the best shows around.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
It's on the Irish/UK netflix too. That's where I'm watching it.

I've got the UK but also changed my DNS codes around to get US Netflix.

4th series was absolutely gripping TV, especially the final few episodes of it leading finally to Rita's death. Prado was in the 3rd series, 2nd series was the Doakes series (the second best after the 4th).

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I've got the UK but also changed my DNS codes around to get US Netflix.

4th series was absolutely gripping TV, especially the final few episodes of it leading finally to Rita's death. Prado was in the 3rd series, 2nd series was the Doakes series (the second best after the 4th).

That last scene in S4 was astonishing.

I keep meaning to have a look at getting myself US netflix. It can't be that difficult.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
I'm sure Google is my friend in this regard. Do I then have to get a new Netflix account or will my normal one work?

Normal one will work. But you'll have to change the setting back to UK when you want to watch that. It's not a merged thing, it's either UK or US.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He should have died or got caught. Worst ending to a show ever. Saying that, had they ended it after the 4th series I'd probably call it one of the best shows of all time.

LS17

He should have died or got caught. Worst ending to a show ever. Saying that, had they ended it after the 4th series I'd probably call it one of the best shows of all time.
This. I always remember it for the disastrous last 4 seasons and the finale, but the first four were so good. The Trinity Killer was such an amazing bad guy.
Breaking Bad is my favourite but i'd hold Dexter up much closer if it wasn't for them last 4.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Yeah.. seasons 1 to 4 of Dexter beat the whole of Breaking Bad for me.

They aren't better as such but I prefer them.

Ashwin

Snake charmer in the land of RattleSnakes.
Correct. Season 1 and 4 were probably the best ones of the show and they should have just had him get caught/killed in season 5 with Lundy/some other super cop kinda character chasing him. Instead they decided to milk it and brought in so many unnecessary characters and Lumen, Colin Hanks and Yvonne storylines were crap at best. To top it off, Debra's love for Dexter. FFS!

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Correct. Season 1 and 4 were probably the best ones of the show and they should have just had him get caught/killed in season 5 with Lundy/some other super cop kinda character chasing him. Instead they decided to milk it and brought in so many unnecessary characters and Lumen, Colin Hanks and Yvonne storylines were crap at best. To top it off, Debra's love for Dexter. FFS!
They strung it out too much. It was completely ridiculous from there on. I quite liked the Doomsday killer though (season 7?) After about the 5th series, Miami Metro basically did no work. Nobody was working on anything :lol: Don't get me started on the pointlessness of Joey Quinn either.

Ashwin

Snake charmer in the land of RattleSnakes.
They strung it out too much. It was completely ridiculous from there on. I quite liked the Doomsday killer though (season 7?) After about the 5th series, Miami Metro basically did no work. Nobody was working on anything :lol: Don't get me started on the pointlessness of Joey Quinn either.
You had to take Quinn's name, didn't you :mad:
Shit actor, no proper character development or anything - quite possibly the worst character ever in a TV show.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
They should never have killed Doakes. He was easily the best side character in the show.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Only just watched this over the last month.

i don't think it nosedives the way people let me to believe, but one things for sure, it was an incredibly shit ending. The lumberjack thing? fecking hell what an awful cliche.

I also found Deb's death very depressing, keeping Dexter alive and having Deb die was just horrible, should have been the other way.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

i don't think it nosedives the way people let me to believe, but one things for sure, it was an incredibly shit ending. The lumberjack thing? fecking hell what an awful cliche.

I also found Deb's death very depressing, keeping Dexter alive and having Deb die was just horrible, should have been the other way.
Probably easier when you don't keep up with the threads at the same time as watching, as when you do you notice little things which irritate you which you wouldn't notice otherwise, hence it getting so much flak on here.

Yeah the lumberjack thing was terrible.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

Agree, on the nosedive. I didn't think it went that bad.

Didn't like the ending though. Deb didn't deserve to be killed off if Dexter wasn't but then again it would be hard for her to live with it all coming out publicly.