Television Dexter | New Blood finale has now aired. Avoid the thread until you've watched it

Zen

Awful show in awful ending shocker.

No seriously, from what I've read, this season was beyond bad(6 and 7 were bad, though I didn't finish 7)......could it have been deliberate retardation? Like in an attempt to sway viewers in by seeing who could get the most plotholes from each episode.

vanthaman

Winner
I love it in Dexter how the characters in sub-plots are so random and pointless that you don't actually end up knowing the name of them. And by love it I mean I find it fecking bizarre.

Does anyone know the name of the sergeant? Masuka's daughter? Did anyone have any idea what Mike's name was before he died?

"Who's Mike?"
I can't even think who the Sargeant or mike are?

Kinky Melinky

Was talking to the missus last night about this. What in the name of God was the point of Masuka's daughter? Was she shagging one of the writers in real life and was promised a slot on Dexter if she provided the goods? It just seemed so pointless. And what happened to the black female cop? She just seemed to vanish into thin air. Then there was Dexter's next door neighbor who was murdered by the final bad dude (struggling to remember his name). Although I appreciate it was related to the end, it was still weak. And then Harrison's child minder who always seemed to be doing laundry. A total waste of time having her in the show. The only purpose she seemed to serve was to get jealous at Quinn; who in turn was another bollox character. The Miami Met were a bunch of imbeciles, the writing was completely unrealistic and yeah....just a load of wank really

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I love it in Dexter how the characters in sub-plots are so random and pointless that you don't actually end up knowing the name of them. And by love it I mean I find it fecking bizarre.

Does anyone know the name of the sergeant? Masuka's daughter? Did anyone have any idea what Mike's name was before he died?

"Who's Mike?"
:lol: I know the name of the sergeant (Angie Miller) and Mike's full name before he died (Mike Anderson), but the daughter I've got no idea without googling. She was the ultimate pointless character, despite having more airtime than Miller.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
:lol: I know the name of the sergeant (Angie Miller) and Mike's full name before he died (Mike Anderson), but the daughter I've got no idea without googling. She was the ultimate pointless character, despite having more airtime than Miller.
Masuka's daughter was blatantly only there to fill the tit quota, in that scene where Masuka goes to the bar she works at.

ell

To think there was once a time when i found it hard to decide whether I preferred breaking bad or dexter, what a load of absolute shit, that finale, this season, and the last 3/4 seasons have been.

Cina

Heh, look at the first page of the thread and how highly people rated it back then.

Then look at the second page and be glad the new spoiler policy is in place.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Heh, look at the first page of the thread and how highly people rated it back then.

Then look at the second page and be glad the new spoiler policy is in place.
I just edited in an apostrophe I missed in 2009. Think I have a problem.

kps88

Ah good memories. That episode in season 4 where Dex has dinner with Trinity's family is one of the all time greats.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The show peaked at season 4, with Dexter finding Rita dead in the bath. If it was ended there, still with his identity a secret it would have been fine. They've squeezed 4 more seasons out of it that ruined it.

Cina

I'd say it peaked at season one actually. Two was weaker than one and three was weaker than two, if Jon Lithgow hadn't played Trinity in four it wouldn't have been as good as it was, by then the sideplots and characters were already shite.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Doakes was a great character but I guess with how he was with Dexter he couldn't stay in it too long. Though the writing was unrealistic even back then, for example a handcuffed Dexter being able to overpower a guy like Doakes in the water. It was just more exciting to watch back then.

Amir

It didn't end well, did it?

The funny thing was I felt that in the first seasons they really took storylines that you'd expect to see a little later on - The brother in the first season, when you're still learning the main characters, and the body parts of his victims resurfacing in season two. It made it great TV but maybe it came at a cost. They just ran out of good ideas too quickly. Shouldn't have gone to eight seasons, really. They just didn't have an exit strategy and went on and on...

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

The funny thing was I felt that in the first seasons they really took storylines that you'd expect to see a little later on - The brother in the first season, when you're still learning the main characters, and the body parts of his victims resurfacing in season two. It made it great TV but maybe it came at a cost. They just ran out of good ideas too quickly. Shouldn't have gone to eight seasons, really. They just didn't have an exit strategy and went on and on...
Yeah, they started the show with a bang and ended it with a whimper.

Drainy

Damning with faint praise, but there were 20 mins in the episode that was decent TV. The rest was as substandard as the rest of the season was

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker

Nice. That's an impressive level of...Dexpertise. Sorry...

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Isaak Serko was the best character of thelast few seasons I thought. That scene with him and Dexter in the bar was a highlight.

But yeah, the rest were utterly pointless.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Doakes was a great character but I guess with how he was with Dexter he couldn't stay in it too long. Though the writing was unrealistic even back then, for example a handcuffed Dexter being able to overpower a guy like Doakes in the water. It was just more exciting to watch back then.

Having the annoying one Dexter was with kill Doakes was a bit of a cop out too. Seems like that was one of the problems with the show, it started off trying to make you decide whether your loyalty was to Dexter or not but then refused to have him do anything even slightly morally reprehensible. By the end he was a kind of serial killer superhero, at no stage did you think he'd gone too far or had done something really wrong.

KingEric7

The episode where Dexter first talked to Arthur Mitchell was on just then. Really is something when you watch an episode from back then after seeing that the other night. The quality of acting, the acting style, the dialogue, the humour, the main plot, the sub-plots...everything. It's just a completely different show. Even something like Dexter's monologue was so much wittier and interesting during the earlier seasons.

walsh

I remember just how shocked and upset I was when we saw Rita dead in the bath tub. If I'd have known how they were going to turn the show into a parody of itself, I wouldn't have bothered caring.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So I sacked this off after Breaking Bad returned because I couldn't face watching it at the same time as something so great, but I think I'm going to watch the last bunch of episodes just because I've invested so much time in it over the years so I feel I should see it out.

Just how bad does it get?

KingEric7

It gets a little bit better, then goes back to normal. The last episode wasn't as bad as it has been but it definitely wasn't good. Not at all. It's just reached lower lows than that.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Just finished the marathon and thought it was shite. The worst thing about the ending was Dexter's awful beard.

Elway the amazing detective who tracks down the wanted serial killer with all of his contacts yet only goes by himself to a busy airport to apprehend her. When that fails he again tried to get her himself by riding on the bus with her only to fall victim to the horse tranquilizer that she always keeps handy.

Thank feck Deb died though. The most annoying person in the world.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Just finished the marathon and thought it was shite. The worst thing about the ending was Dexter's awful beard.

Elway the amazing detective who tracks down the wanted serial killer with all of his contacts yet only goes by himself to a busy airport to apprehend her. When that fails he again tried to get her himself by riding on the bus with her only to fall victim to the horse tranquilizer that she always keeps handy.

Thank feck Deb died though. The most annoying person in the world.
My reaction as well.

Whinny bitch

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The moment her brain died she became the smartest person at Miami Metro.

How exactly did Matthews get his job back?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The episode where Dexter first talked to Arthur Mitchell was on just then. Really is something when you watch an episode from back then after seeing that the other night. The quality of acting, the acting style, the dialogue, the humour, the main plot, the sub-plots...everything. It's just a completely different show. Even something like Dexter's monologue was so much wittier and interesting during the earlier seasons.
The original writing team fell apart. It's pretty clear that the replacements weren't exaclty in tune with the first couple of seasons.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

What I find really funny is that other crime dramas routinely stole plot ideas from Dexter. Well, I noticed it on Criminal Minds at least.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

Yep season 2 should have been the last season with him getting caught. If not that that then the season Laguerta investigates him should have been where they decided to end it.

Seems to me they repeated the whole "Dexter trying to forge a connection with someone" too many times.

KingEric7

The original writing team fell apart. It's pretty clear that the replacements weren't exaclty in tune with the first couple of seasons.

Aye, I know. Really is amazing though just how much worse every single aspect is.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Pretty glad I fecked this off two seasons ago judging by the comments here. Why torture yourselves?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Frankly I would have no complaints if they had ended it by bringing Doakes back from the dead to say "Surprise motherfecker" and beat on Dexter, then hand him in after doing a lengthy investigation on him, following his every move.