Television Dexter | New Blood finale has now aired. Avoid the thread until you've watched it

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
For some reason I thought he was exposed by killing that Saxon? guy. Was a long time since I last watched that series :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It ended after season 4, not sure what you're all on about.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Agree, on the nosedive. I didn't think it went that bad.

Didn't like the ending though. Deb didn't deserve to be killed off if Dexter wasn't but then again it would be hard for her to live with it all coming out publicly.
Usually these shows give some sort of closure to fans. But what they gave us was the worst thing possible, you almost want to kill Dexter yourself by the end because he's responsible for fecking everything up for Deb, so Dexter went from hero to villain in that sense, but instead they keep him alive and give a horribly depressing ending to Deb? it just didn't feel right, especially finding out he didn't in fact top himself after effectively making his sister a vegetable. They basically made him a huge cunt. I can't even begin to imagine what the writers were thinking.

Oh yeah I won't even get into how he walked in switched off his sisters life support and wheeled her out onto his boat like it was nothing :lol:

JP77

Deb had to die. She found out about Dexter and then proceeded to do some awful things, one which was killing Laguerta, after that there was no chance she was surviving this show without dying. If anything she had to die more than Dexter. They didn't execute it how they should have done though.

Berbaclass

Should have ended when she walked in on him in the church and gasped, cut to credits. Done!

Possibly even when he found Harrison in Rita's blood cause that would have been cool symmetry IMO. It all 'started' from him being 'born in blood' and I think it would have been cool to end it like that giving an obvious not to the characters beginnings while ending it at the same time.

Just a thought anyway...

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Should have ended when she walked in on him in the church and gasped, cut to credits. Done!

Possibly even when he found Harrison in Rita's blood cause that would have been cool symmetry IMO. It all 'started' from him being 'born in blood' and I think it would have been cool to end it like that giving an obvious not to the characters beginnings while ending it at the same time.

Just a thought anyway...
They could have changed the order of seasons around. Have it finish in four seasons with the last season having the plot from the 2nd one where they find the bodies. The show ends with Dexter getting caught/dying. Eight seasons was far too long for a show which had about 2 or 3 interesting characters at best.

Berbaclass

They could have changed the order of seasons around. Have it finish in four seasons with the last season having the plot from the 2nd one where they find the bodies. The show ends with Dexter getting caught/dying. Eight season was far too long for a show which had about 2 or 3 interesting characters at best.
Yeah I'd have liked it to end with him ending up in custody. Just him sat in the interview room (like the last Lumberjack scene where he just looks into the camera)

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Only just watched this over the last month.

i don't think it nosedives the way people let me to believe, but one things for sure, it was an incredibly shit ending. The lumberjack thing? fecking hell what an awful cliche.

I also found Deb's death very depressing, keeping Dexter alive and having Deb die was just horrible, should have been the other way.
As @Damien said, it's probably not as bad as when you're discussing each episode on here and notice all the issues. I actually rewatched the show a few months back and I wasn't as bored with the latter seasons as I expected to be. If you ignore some of the plot holes and inconsistencies (yeah, I know how that sounds!) it's still decent entertainment in the last seasons. It could've been so much better though, which is probably the biggest problem.

Also, I think a lot of people overrate the first 4 seasons, which makes the last ones seem even worse in comparison. The show always had "issues" with plot holes and inconsistencies when it suited them (i.e. when Dexter needed a way out), but because the writing in general dropped in quality people just started to focus more on it. There's a lot of utterly ridiculous stuff in the first seasons that most people just ignore because the writing made up for it.

Revan

Assumptionman

Just a thought anyway...
If it had ended that day, this TV show would have been remembered as a true classic, as one of the best shows of last decade, if not ever.

Season 1, 2 and 4 were really fantastic. The finale of season 1 and 4 are two of the best episodes I have ever seen.

Berbaclass

If it had ended that day, this TV show would have been remembered as a true classic, as one of the best shows of last decade, if not ever.

Season 1, 2 and 4 were really fantastic. The finale of season 1 and 4 are two of the best episodes I have ever seen.
Totally agree. I'd rank it 1-4-2-3 out of the first four.

Revan

Assumptionman
Totally agree. I'd rank it 1-4-2-3 out of the first four.
My rating too. Fourth was fantastic, but I liked the first one slightly more. As emotional as the last scene of the fourth season was, Dexter killing his brother was even more emotional IMO.

The monologues on those 4 seasons were so great. Shame that after they changed the writers, they forgot the monologues and well, they forgot everything that was good for that serie.

Berbaclass

Doakes was also killed off too early IMO. Should have been the one to bring him down.

Also couldn't stand Lila, really disliked her.

Sylar

Yep, also agree with 1,4,2,3.

I think what didnt help was this show pretty much aired the same time with Breaking Bad (especially the last seasons). I think Season 5 was the season where nothing really happened and by the end, it all returned to how it was at the beginning of the season, nothing actually progressed for any of the characters.

I also agree that if it had the first four seasons, with 2 possibly as the last one and him being caught (by Doakes haha) then it would be remembered more for that but its remembered for the freakin lumberjack lol.

Didnt they change directors / writers at the end of season 4?

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Yep, also agree with 1,4,2,3.

I think what didnt help was this show pretty much aired the same time with Breaking Bad (especially the last seasons). I think Season 5 was the season where nothing really happened and by the end, it all returned to how it was at the beginning of the season, nothing actually progressed for any of the characters.

I also agree that if it had the first four seasons, with 2 possibly as the last one and him being caught (by Doakes haha) then it would be remembered more for that but its remembered for the freakin lumberjack lol.

Didnt they change directors / writers at the end of season 4?
A lot of writers left, yeah. That was another huge problem with the later seasons, that the writers seemingly forgot what had happened in earlier seasons and on more than a couple of occasions wrote something that completely contradicted what had happened earlier in the show.

Heardy

I've motored through all 8 seasons in the last 6 weeks or so! I avoided any spoilers, so had no idea what the end game would be.

I can't judge which seasons were better as I can't recall where one started and one finished. Interesting to read people say it nosedived after season 4, I didn't feel that way watching it on loop so to speak.

That said, the finale was very disappointing - the fake fade away was clever as i'd have been even more pissed had he killed himself as he is a king of self-preservation. I just found it a bit crap that his "cover" became who he wanted to be and that opening himself up to human emotion and human connection was simply overwhelming and exiled himself as a lumberjack.

Disappointing ending, but i'd have been even more disappointed had I spent 7-8 years building up to that conclusion.

Loublaze

ATLien
I've motored through all 8 seasons in the last 6 weeks or so! I avoided any spoilers, so had no idea what the end game would be.

I can't judge which seasons were better as I can't recall where one started and one finished. Interesting to read people say it nosedived after season 4, I didn't feel that way watching it on loop so to speak.

That said, the finale was very disappointing - the fake fade away was clever as i'd have been even more pissed had he killed himself as he is a king of self-preservation. I just found it a bit crap that his "cover" became who he wanted to be and that opening himself up to human emotion and human connection was simply overwhelming and exiled himself as a lumberjack.

Disappointing ending, but i'd have been even more disappointed had I spent 7-8 years building up to that conclusion.
Tell me about it! The earlier seasons put the show in the same league as some of the best tv shows ever

Cina

it's amazing that a show with two really good seasons out of eight is ranked so highly, but man, those two seasons were pretty damned good.

Sylar

Id say three good season. 1,2 and 4 were really good. 3 was decent, not as good as the other three but still better than 5-8.

LS17

I binge watched seasons 1 - 4 then caught up so had to wait years for seasons and week by week for episodes. Nothing has ever been more disappointing. Trinity Killer was an unbelievable bad guy, John Lithgow nailed it.

prath92

I really liked season 5 as well. Johnny lee Miller was really good. Good premise too.

It became shit from season 6 end. The ukraini gang wars storyline was too stupid to be in a series like this.

Sylar

Five was a waste though. If you cut out the whole of five, you can actually jump from 4 to 6 and it wouldnt matter. Nothing actually changed.

prath92

Five was a waste though. If you cut out the whole of five, you can actually jump from 4 to 6 and it wouldnt matter. Nothing actually changed.
That's true but I liked that premise. Help a rape victim get her revenge. Plus I like Julia stiles and JL Miller. It was a fun season and a change from the whole serial killer thing.