Di Marzio: Barca make bid for Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

So it's safe to assume this wasn't a serious bid then.
Probably just in the 'unsettling the player' phase at the moment. By the looks of tomorrow's press, Raiola is working hard, too.

I'm sure they'll all do what they can, but even they must realise it will be hard to get a deal through in the next three weeks, so it's probably a case of playing the long game for a transfer in January/next summer.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
This hopefully ends with Pogba signing a new contract and being made captain.

Womp

idiot
We won't sell him this late in the window, if they were this interested they should have came in earlier when we had time to get a replacement in. If it does happen though, I hope we are keeping tabs on the Kovacic situation.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Exactly. This is why I wouldn’t think it would be a bad thing for pogba himself, if he truly does want to leave, to come out publically and state it, so we know it isn’t the snake mino running wild. I think 200 is a fair assessment, which means we could fairly work at a deal with a cash sum and several players. Well that’s what I would do if I was negotiating, then again I admittedly know absolutely nothing about business or negotiation :lol:
I will teach you. First you go with ridiculous bid( like they did). Then repeat that bid. They are angry at that phase. And then you say; "Ok, 100 mil plus dembele and rakitic. Take it or leave it. And fuuuck you":lol:
Oh boy, i would love to be ed woodward only for a day.

Womp

idiot
Raiola will only get involved when his clients ask him to. If Barca have made an offer you can be certain they've been given the go ahead by raiola and Pogba. They know at this moment it's a derisory offer but the plan is to destabilize the player. It might happen next summer or further down the line.
If Pogba and his agent gave them the go ahead, they wouldn't need to destabilize the player, because they would already be aware of his interest. It was simply a desperate Barca putting in a ridiculous offer.

trafford1980

I mentioned a swap involving Ivan Rakitic in my previous post. To play devils advocate for a bit, is it outlandish for me to think that a midfield group of Rakitic, Fred, Matic, Herrera, Pereira and Fellaini is still amongst the strongest in the league? It has a bit of everything. It's not as if Pogba will be leaving a Rafael-De-Silva shaped hole in the centre of the park.

To be clear, I don't want Pogba to leave if he doesn't, and given a straight choice between keeping a happy Pogba or a current Mourinho, I'd keep the former. However, all conversation around this topic seems to be black and white. People over-rating Pogba or calling him out as a busted flush. I hold the opinion that he is a very good player, with a decent chance of being a great one. Just perhaps not at United considering the circumstances.

So if the choice is keeping an unsettled Pogba, or letting him go and bringing a quality replacement with some extra cash to reinforce other parts of the team then I'm all for it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Just for fun; with what trade would you be happy here? Personally, because i rate pogba high i would let him only for dembele and rakitic in pair. 2 for 1

jmaggio

I will teach you. First you go with ridiculous bid( like they did). Then repeat that bid. They are angry at that phase. And then you say; "Ok, 100 mil plus dembele and rakitic. Take it or leave it. And fuuuck you":lol:
Oh boy, i would love to be ed woodward only for a day.
:lol:I really hope that the phrase “take it or leave it” is used regularly in footballing negotiation. I kind imagine it like Cartman in South Park, “ Oooooo 40m plus Gomez and Mina ? You’re breaking my balls Bartomeo, you’re breaking ma ballss”

Jam

I’d take dembele and 50m for Pogba in a heartbeat. Tired of watching him decide when he really wants to play.
Oh boy are you going to like Dembele then... Nani on acid.

Womp

idiot
Oh boy are you going to like Dembele then... Nani on acid.
I would take Nani here in a heartbeat. His inconsistency wasn't down to a lack of effort, rather being played out of position. When he was on the right he was phenomenal.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Just for fun; with what trade would you be happy here? Personally, because i rate pogba high i would let him only for dembele and rakitic in pair. 2 for 1
Thing is, that would mean having to essentially massively invest in CM again in a couple of seasons, if not sooner. Rakitic and Matic are no spring chickens, Herrera is fine back up and Pereira and Fred are kinda unknown.

Theoretically, your shout is probably the best realistically, but I would still choose building a team around Pogba, for the sheer footballing prospect and needed consistency it would give us.

Member 5225

I hope Pogba will use all his social media skillz and clout to debunk these stories, if they are inaccurate.......

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Social Worker:
"Vicky, where is your baby?"

Vicky:
"Swapped it for a Westlife CD."

Social Worker:
"How could you do such a thing?"

Vicky Pollard:
"I know - they're rubbish."

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Just fecking relieved it's not one of our players this time.
Not surprised they've done it off the back of an impressive world cup. This is their usual MO though.

Red_toad

I hope Pogba will use all his social media skillz and clout to debunk these stories, if they are inaccurate.......
Latest stuff is based on what Jose said about him during the summer. There was nothing in that, it was all about how world cup is different 100% focus on football as they're locked away and how that differs from club football. If Pogba's upset about that, then he really needs to go.

Loublaze

ATLien
The offer reported on skysports is a joke, £45m and two donkeys. It means they value him at less than Coutinho.

£200m and he can take his dabbing and feck off. He’s been shit for two years, then turns up for France in the WC. Mercenary.
Yea he was really shit when he ripped City apart in that comeback 2-3 win and he was shit in the Europa cup and League cup finals yea?

nameischarles

I don't like this at all, I doubt we will sell him this late especially with low ball offers but definitely, it means his camp is open to a move. If he does want to leave then surely it means his working relationship with Mourinho has strained. Him staying or leaving will all depend on what happens with United this season.

Red_toad

Yea he was really shit when he ripped City apart in that comeback 2-3 win and he was shit in the Europa cup and League cup finals yea?
Those are specific examples of how well he can play. At his age he really should be doing it more often. He's been far from shit (as OP said) but he's been very half arsed in a lot of games for United. No one should just accept that for what he 'can do' when he decides to step it up.

Greck

Latest stuff is based on what Jose said about him during the summer. There was nothing in that, it was all about how world cup is different 100% focus on football as they're locked away and how that differs from club football. If Pogba's upset about that, then he really needs to go.
It was a needless comment from a manager with no filter. Implying Pogba lacked the focus to do it in a season format. How did he become a 90m pound player if he wasnt doing just that at Juve? Jose was defending himself against the assertion that he wasn't getting the best of Pogba and as we've seen in his time here, when Jose gets defensive, players end up taking collateral damage

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I'll say it: Pogba is too good for the current iteration of United. And it absolutely breaks my heart, but if we're honest, it's true.

We have not and will not win the league or the Champions League in the very near term. Our manager plays a brand of football which at best is functional and at it's worst makes me hate myself for watching. Surrounded by the right talent in the right system, Pogba could realistically be one of the top 5 players in the world, and is moving into the prime of his career.

Further, he's treated like garbage by the media in the UK because we're United, which simply can't help his 'brand'. Sky and the media seem to have a tacit agreement that his performance can never be mentioned without his price tag - which is oddly absent from any discussion of City's squad, but hey ho City are great have you seen their project etc.

We're no longer the big club in England. A triumvirate of pain: Fergie leaving (and having Jose); City financially doping; and our owners not being willing or able to step up mean that we're simply not able to hang on to the very best because of our legacy or name. Plus we no longer have the truly big trophies to offer (sorry, but the EL and FA Cup are not those).

It's depressing as f*ck, but we're in the Arsenal/Liverpool boat now. We'll have decent seasons, win the occasional domestic cup but that is likely it this year, and probably next. City will fade, but if history is an indication they'll then break every transfer record in history and sign 8 new players, toss 3 and make do with the 5 that work. You can't really compete with that.

So I say f*ck it. Let him go. Bring in players that lack some of his talent but make up for it in work ethic (and possibly match nous). This drama is going to become a constant unless the Glazers and Ed are willing to try and get us to the same echelon as Barca/Real/City, which 10 years of ownership indicates is highly unlikely.

Also, please sell him to Madrid, purely as a two-finger salute to Barcelona and their ego.

Green_Red

If I were Pogba Id look at that offer and feel seriously undervalued. Hes worth Messi and £50 mil.

Loublaze

ATLien
Those are specific examples of how well he can play. At his age he really should be doing it more often. He's been far from shit (as OP said) but he's been very half arsed in a lot of games for United. No one should just accept that for what he 'can do' when he decides to step it up.
He's not the only great player we have suffering from inconsistency. What is Alexis's excuse? Lukaku also had a really bad patch of performances last season. Matic was our most consistent midfielder last season and he also suffered from burn out which led to a few stinkers.

Red_toad

It was a needless comment from a manager with no filter. Implying Pogba lacked the focus to do it in a season format. How did he become a 90m pound player if he wasnt doing just that at Juve? Jose was defending himself against the assertion that he wasn't getting the best of Pogba and as we've seen in his time here, when Jose gets defensive players end up taking collateral damage
So when a player takes the field and goes through the motions, it's fully the managers fault then?
Pogba was inconsistent at Juve, now 25 and should have improved, toward the end of last season he look knackered half the time and uninterested. Obviously Pogba has issues with his focus on the game, yes the manager needs to motivate players, but the players are the most responsible for their actions. Had similar issues the first time he forced his way out of the club. He's not loyal to any club and will probably force another move at some point. He's got the ideal agent for his career.

Red_toad

He's not the only great player we have suffering from inconsistency. What is Alexis's excuse? Lukaku also had a really bad patch of performances last season. Matic was our most consistent midfielder last season and he also suffered from burn out which led to a few stinkers.
You probably nailed it in your post, burn out. Pogba wasn't over utlised last season, but was possibly suffering with the after effects of his injury. We can only speculate.

Patrick08

Pogba's agent wants Pogba on a salary rise after his world cup campaign.

MadMike

I'll say it: Pogba is too good for the current iteration of United. And it absolutely breaks my heart, but if we're honest, it's true.
He shown no such thing at United. At that's not down to the manager at all.

In his first year he got eclipsed in midfield by none other than Herrera, who had a far more defensive role yet had more assists and overall contribution in the team than him. He showed glimpses of his immense talent but he was erratic. We put it down to first season adaptation etc.

Second season he started well (and so did the team) then he got injured for 2 months. He got back and had a few so and so games, got red-carded at Arsenal, missed the City derby and he was so poor after his return in January that he ended up getting benched for McTominay with pretty much everyone agreeing that he stank up the place before being dropped.

He owes it to the club and the fans to have at least one season where he focuses on his football and gives his best for the team. Because to be frank he hasn't done that. If he has one season where he just knuckles down and shows some strength of character and perseverance and maturity... then I might agree with you.

And if he still wants to go after that, feck it, Raiola can bring a 200m bid and he can go.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Pogba's agent wants pogba on a salary rise after his world cup campaign.
Yup. Rumours are that this started when Sanchez signed. Pogba wants parity with the highest paid player at the club. If he proves himself, I'd give it to him next summer along with the captaincy.

Red_Orchestra

I have an awfully terrible feeling about this transfer proposal from Barca.

If the Everton rumors are true about signing Mina for €32m, I would absolutely love to know how much they value Mr. Andre Gomes for?

theriddler

Supports
Liverpool FC
Exactly. This is why I wouldn’t think it would be a bad thing for pogba himself, if he truly does want to leave, to come out publically and state it, so we know it isn’t the snake mino running wild. I think 200 is a fair assessment, which means we could fairly work at a deal with a cash sum and several players. Well that’s what I would do if I was negotiating, then again I admittedly know absolutely nothing about business or negotiation :lol:
His talent is without question, and his performance at the world cup was top draw.

Pogba's last top class season in club football was 3 seasons ago. You can have all the talent in the world, but he's been a good PL midfielder - nothing extraordinary. 200 million would be utter madness. If he does go, 100-125 million is more realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.